Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Concord Cancelled

flushfire

Augur
400 million doesn't sound too outlandish when Star Citizen's 700 million is taken into account. At least Concord reached mvp state and looked polished enough, SC's still a buggy alpha.

GrainWetski

Arcane
I was about to post that $400m tweet. That's a lot of money and it doesn't even include the cost of the studio. I said it a number of pages back, but I can't see Sony releasing another game with “progressive” character designs again. You can't just forget about a failed project that likely cost close to half a billion dollars and eight years of development time.

Other game publishers will probably be more wary, too, though not entirely discouraged.
It's not about money, but about pushing agenda. They don't care about money because money is essentially unlimited for ESG affiliated corporations.
The money eventually runs out, though. The Saint's Row reboot cost over a $100m to develop. It flopped and Volition was shut down.
Yes, Blackrock's money is about to "run out" aaaaany second now. They're doing it for the money, guys!

Reinhardt

Arcane
Oh please, is a arena shooter, no way that can cost 400m.
-8 years of production+development
-high production value that matches other products made by studios under sony (we already know that games like horizon zero dawn and last of us 2 had a budget over 200kk)
-one of the features promised was weekly short-movies about the lore and characters
-also they promised at least 3 seasons of content for the game

I can see it costing over 400kk mainly because its a live service game with playstation tier production value.

Not only they had to waste money on their shiny graphical fidelity bullshit (which is expensive as fuck), they had to work to pump content (with the same bloated high fidelity quality) for upcoming seasons and the weekly shorts bullshit.

Playstation games are bloated "muh graphics" movie games, Concord added live service shit (and animations and weekly shorts) to the mix. Bloating their recipe that is already bloated.
Don't forget the Concord episode that was made for "The Secret Level" too.
easily my favorite part of this trainwreck. literally tier of "madam president" magazine cover from 2016. aged soooooo gud.

SECRET LEVEL is a new adult-animated anthology series featuring original stories set within the worlds of some of the most beloved video games. Games that inspired the 15 epic stories include Concord

JC'sBarber

Literate
Question is, will they course correct or will they continue to flush money down the toilet, pursuing slop games that are doomed to fail?. Fairgame$ is another guaranteed disaster, so the final bill will probably be close to $1 billion for just these two games alone, when all is said and done. And if they still aren't making money on every PS5 console sold, they're basically haemorrhaging money. They have no other first party releases planned until well into next year, so they'll just be absorbing loss after loss with no real case to present to investors. PlayStation executives are probably having a lot of sleepless nights right about now.

yesterday i had an epiphany. i understood why everything is shit. i was desperate for entertainment, i almost caved in and bought total warhammer 3 for some nurgle fix, and then the light: they want us this way, desperate, so we're willing to buy anything, just anything, literally anything, at any price, for a brief moment of relief. so no, it's going to be worse and worse and worse, we're living idiocracy and *this* is the grimmest and darkest world ever.

Ezekiel

Arcane
Ignoring the other moronic costs, you should see if your game will even be embraced before also committing to short films and other connected projects.

The Nameless One

Literate
yesterday i had an epiphany. i understood why everything is shit. i was desperate for entertainment, i almost caved in and bought total warhammer 3 for some nurgle fix, and then the light: they want us this way, desperate, so we're willing to buy anything, just anything, literally anything, at any price, for a brief moment of relief. so no, it's going to be worse and worse and worse, we're living idiocracy and *this* is the grimmest and darkest world ever.
Hey, you didn't cave into buying into a 40k game that had female custodes (god fuckin forbid). It could be a lot worse.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Lol these people are delusional. I can only imagine what the focus groups thought when they were shown the characters for this farce.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Imagine if just some of those 400 million went to something fun to play instead. But that is an unknown concept for modern day AAA devs.

Btw, wtf is toxic positivity?

Ignoring the other moronic costs, you should see if your game will even be embraced before also committing to short films and other connected projects.
They wanted the normie audience, hence the Marvel-tier humor in the trailers.
Didn't perceive that Marvel's been dead in the water to most normal people since Eternals flopped then. Inshallah, popular culture will leave the Whedon zone permanently aside from deluded zealots.

The whole project has this fascinating sense of imperviousness to reality about it. They genuinely believed a $40 multiplayer-only hero shooter was the vehicle to create a Star Wars-level new IP in 2024. Overwatch was the most successful example of the genre and its only lasting cultural impact has been copious r34 content. They needed to thrash this out the door within 4 years of Overwatch launching to compete.

The product cycle is now, like the news cycle, too quick for anything to gain traction. Successful modern entertainment companies realise this. Make to formula with a twist, big hype to get initial attention and minimise long-term investment because the majority of your audience won't be paying attention for more than a month. The quality is often poor but most consumers don't care especially if you truss it up with a few markers of 'prestige' within the product category.

The product cycle is now, like the news cycle, too quick for anything to gain traction.
Is there any hope left? Surely this can't last too long.
Very difficult if your brain's being boiled constantly and you don't have the insight or cognitive tools to realise it. Or indeed if you have no incentive to do something about it if you do.

I'd say depends on where you are. Significant changes to material conditions have a habit of snapping people out of a curated unreality and orientating them back towards the real world. Simply a matter of when that happens in a given place.

ind33d

Learned
apparently concord was designed like Trials of Osiris or Search & Destroy as round-based with no respawns (which is why there are deployables that persist on the battlefield and a long TTK), then during development some imbecile turned it into Overwatch

ghardy

Educated
during development some imbecile turned it into Overwatch
There are some games whose internal development one would like to know more about, the motivation being learning, if not sheer admiration.

And there are some games whose internal development one would like to know about, the motivation being the enjoyment of sheer cretinism.

I harbor suspicions that after a while we might find ourselves poring through leaked documents, designs and papers from Concord's development.

JC'sBarber

Literate
So many e-celebs are stating that the main reason Concord failed weren't the abhorrent characters, but the game design. But that is blatantly untrue. Despite hero shooters being a largely dead genre aside from Overwatch, that still wouldn't make the game flop this badly. The visuals were simply ugly, and that turned any potential players off immediately. If they made all the characters attractive, I'd be willing to bet the game would at least have an active playerbase worth maintaining. So many people are unwilling or afraid to call out the real problem, it's never the most straightforward answer because that answer would make you an alt-right nazi chud.

ADL

Prophet
apparently concord was designed like Trials of Osiris or Search & Destroy as round-based with no respawns (which is why there are deployables that persist on the battlefield and a long TTK), then during development some imbecile turned it into Overwatch
Even if that was still the case, why would I want to play Concord over Destiny where its that plus more with shared progression between PvP and PvE?

I just don't see the appeal without some form of PvE.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom