Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Concord Cancelled

ind33d

Learned
The more I think about it, the more I think that this is all a money laundering operation.
Because of flops like Concord, AAA-studios will continue to cry that new IPs are too risky to produce. The will instead keep developing successors to existing franchises.
Well, they can't say the real reason why, so they have to continue lying to themselves.
It-Z is proof that they could have made attractive characters, they chose not to

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I used to be cautiously optimistic about this channel, until he failed miserably in his live stream with The Act Man. He even disabled the Youtube comments because they kept calling him out on it. If this dude and Synthetic Man are the best "we" have, we're in trouble.
What happened?

apparently concord was designed like Trials of Osiris or Search & Destroy as round-based with no respawns (which is why there are deployables that persist on the battlefield and a long TTK), then during development some imbecile turned it into Overwatch

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying this sounds GOOD, but this at least sounds like a mildly interesting concept compared to being an overwatch ripoff.

They could have even taken it further and had like, multiple rounds per game where the characters who die in that round are unavailable for the rest of the match, for instance.

Something, ANYTHING to make them moderately unique rather than just Overwatch at Home.

Let me play Devil's Advocate for a second. Are we all being graphics whores? Doesn't gameplay count for more than character models?

Every person who plays games, every gamer, every single player, has some sort of "graphic whore" to them. Obviously people can overlook outdated or bad graphics if the gameplay is good enough, but a downright UGLY game is a different story.

At the end of the day, a game needs to "feel right" or people won't play it. Even if it's mechanics are perfect.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Possibly old but still cracks me up.

1727061336325.png

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I used to be cautiously optimistic about this channel, until he failed miserably in his live stream with The Act Man. He even disabled the Youtube comments because they kept calling him out on it. If this dude and Synthetic Man are the best "we" have, we're in trouble.
What happened?
My understanding is that he had a stream with Act Man where he tried attacking him only to fail miserably.

Elttharion

Learned
What happened?
My understanding is that he had a stream with Act Man where he tried attacking him only to fail miserably.

Well, that was painful.

ind33d

Learned
Possibly old but still cracks me up.

View attachment 55315
concord is a video game visualization of all the tax money stolen from young white and asian men to fund food stamps and gender programs in botswana. it's like civilization is the titanic and the government thinks it can whip young straight guys into bailing out all the water by calling them racist

scytheavatar

Scholar
So many e-celebs are stating that the main reason Concord failed weren't the abhorrent characters, but the game design. But that is blatantly untrue. Despite hero shooters being a largely dead genre aside from Overwatch, that still wouldn't make the game flop this badly. The visuals were simply ugly, and that turned any potential players off immediately. If they made all the characters attractive, I'd be willing to bet the game would at least have an active playerbase worth maintaining. So many people are unwilling or afraid to call out the real problem, it's never the most straightforward answer because that answer would make you an alt-right nazi chud.

The reality is that Concord is Julius Caesar, it was stabbed at least 23 times and in the end what's the point of asking which knife stab was the one which killed Concord? Even if they made all the characters attractive, Firewalk would still have to face the problem that they failed to answer the question as to why people should give a shit about the game. People were interested in the game before the reveal and the moment they saw that it was a 5v5 they were like "nope, I am out".

rumSaint

Educated
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Horrendous character design was the icing on the cake. It didn't kill the game, but it was so bad it will be mocked till end of times. What killed Concord, it was ANOTHER hero shooter. So many games tried to shake up things after Overbotch success and not a single one was able to stay long enough. Lawbreakers was very interesting but it ultimately failed. My beloved Quake Champions died horribly.

Only Apex was a success, but it was built on solid fundamentals of Titanfall and it offered more "serious" approach to Battle Royale vs Fortnite. We do not talk about PUBG.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
What happened?

Oh boy. This is too cringey to watch. Total death of Andypants.

JC'sBarber

Literate
So many e-celebs are stating that the main reason Concord failed weren't the abhorrent characters, but the game design. But that is blatantly untrue. Despite hero shooters being a largely dead genre aside from Overwatch, that still wouldn't make the game flop this badly. The visuals were simply ugly, and that turned any potential players off immediately. If they made all the characters attractive, I'd be willing to bet the game would at least have an active playerbase worth maintaining. So many people are unwilling or afraid to call out the real problem, it's never the most straightforward answer because that answer would make you an alt-right nazi chud.

The reality is that Concord is Julius Caesar, it was stabbed at least 23 times and in the end what's the point of asking which knife stab was the one which killed Concord? Even if they made all the characters attractive, Firewalk would still have to face the problem that they failed to answer the question as to why people should give a shit about the game. People were interested in the game before the reveal and the moment they saw that it was a 5v5 they were like "nope, I am out".
Its easy to say this game was always destined to fail as a hero shooter, but keep in mind Overwatch 2 still has an active playerbase of around 20,000 on Steam. And there is potentially room for a new competitor, if done right. The issue is that not only is the game ugly as sin, but the gameplay is too generic. It's so transparently lazy and phoned in, even normies could see it.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
What happened?

Act Man is kind of a shill, but he does make a good video every now and then.
Don't know about Andypants.
My current interest in Youtube game reviewers and "content creators" is very low, next to zero.

ropetight

Savant
What happened?

My current interest in Youtube game reviewers and "content creators" is very low, next to zero.

Debating someone is completely different sport from ranting on video.
p0wpgx.gif

ropetight

Savant
Actman is a cuck, a shill and a leftard but going against him with the old 'N-n-no-no y-y-you leftists are the real racists' is hilariously retarded.
"LEFTARDS ARE THE REAL RAYCISSSTS! Meanwhile watch me sport my MAGA hat while my wife takes care of her black son. He is her everything..."
Cuckservative need to have a moral high ground over liberals always fascinated me.

scytheavatar

Scholar

Its easy to say this game was always destined to fail as a hero shooter, but keep in mind Overwatch 2 still has an active playerbase of around 20,000 on Steam. And there is potentially room for a new competitor, if done right. The issue is that not only is the game ugly as sin, but the gameplay is too generic. It's so transparently lazy and phoned in, even normies could see it.

Overwatch's prime was very short and after PUBG got released it already lost most of its hype levels to the Battle Royal craze. I know that its current numbers are not bad but ultimately they are not big enough to suggest a successful Overwatch competitor can pull in the numbers to justify a 400M budget.

But yes one of the biggest reason for Concord's fall was that they were seen as an Overwatch wannabe, and not much effort was done to explain how the game either can compete with Overwatch or is different enough from it. Compare this to Marvel Rivals which with its melee focus was at least trying to differentiate itself from Overwatch.

JC'sBarber

Literate

Overwatch's prime was very short and after PUBG got released it already lost most of its hype levels to the Battle Royal craze. I know that its current numbers are not bad but ultimately they are not big enough to suggest a successful Overwatch competitor can pull in the numbers to justify a 400M budget.

But yes one of the biggest reason for Concord's fall was that they were seen as an Overwatch wannabe, and not much effort was done to explain how the game either can compete with Overwatch or is different enough from it. Compare this to Marvel Rivals which with its melee focus was at least trying to differentiate itself from Overwatch.
Not for $400 Million, no. This needed to have a small team, with focus, and a much tighter budget to succeed. It needed to set out from the get-go to improve the genre, and make something better than Overwatch. A while back I heard that the cancelled Timesplitters game was going to be a near 1:1 clone of Fortnite. This is a series that fans have been dying to see return, and yet the devs decided the laziest, and most soulless route possible for a reboot. If you see footage of the game, it's unmistakably Fortnite. It would've been a laughing stock, and it could have only been greenlit as a cynical cashgrab and nothing more. The point here is that if you market yourself as a copy of another game, it'll be doomed to failure. Because why would anyone play a knockoff over the original?. If Concord had attractive, white characters it would've improved substantially, it would've had a playerbase just on the merit of having attractive waifus and badass heroes, with a AAA-level of polish and a more realistic look. But it would've still fizzled out, because it still doesn't do enough as a video game to justify even existing. It needed to wow people, it needed to be the Anti-Overwatch.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

Just how many Overwatch clones are out there?

Fargus

Arcane
What happened?

Take a shot each time a codexer digs out one of those grifters out of the youtube dumpster.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom