Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Concord Cancelled

gooseman

Educated
Not sure if bait or mentally retarded
The gameplay is completely different

I love how my largely innocent question of "Can someone define this for me? My understanding of a definition based on some contradictory online definitions makes it sound like coop shooters like L4D, and seems like nothing new" turned into "Wow Left 4 Dead is literally an extraction shooter. They are exactly identical. I am retarded."

Never change, Codex.

(Remember to Butthurt or Retarded react this post to reinforce the Codex stereotypes, too)

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
I love how my largely innocent question of "Can someone define this for me? My understanding of a definition based on some contradictory online definitions makes it sound like coop shooters like L4D, and seems like nothing new" turned into "Wow Left 4 Dead is literally an extraction shooter. They are exactly identical. I am retarded."
Maybe I'm just out of touch, but I have no idea what an "Extraction Shooter" is, and looking it up gives varied, inconsistent results. It seems to be like a first- or third-persion wave-based shooter with objectives followed by "getting out" as the final objective, which comes with a score or whatever.
An "extraction shooter" is the premise that you have some sort of main hub area in which you equip your guy and find a team, deploy from there into the PvP big map, fight AI and enemy players to gain resources, and exit the area back to the safety of your hub with whatever you found.
Think of the game Darkest Dungeon, but as a PvP shooter. Do you greedily keep searching, or safely evacuate with what you have? You want more, but don't want to lose it all. Is that guy over there someone to cooperate with to exit safely, or someone who will backstab you and steal your shit?
So the main gameplay line is get in-loot-get out, and the main thrill is deciding when you've looted enough and if you should greed more.

Left4Dead is obviously not that kind of game. Instead its a game between two teams that have very different tools to work with, and is defined by this asymmetry.

Left4Dead is obviously not that kind of game. Instead its a game between two teams that have very different tools to work with, and is defined by this asymmetry.

Fair enough. Makes sense.

I guess The Division also kind of counts?

IDK why people even bother playing these games, tbh. It just sounds like PVE with more annoyance thrown in.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
The first 200 million is two loans that the parent company took for this studio AND for other studios and some "idea incubator". Its not just for Concord.
Whatever they were smoking ought to be on a list somewhere.
Why? They got their money back, when they sold the studio to Sony. It was a good investment, as far as they are concerned.
200 million for the Concord studio AND other studios, and they get 200 million from Sony only for Concord devs. Profit!
On the other side, Sony got the "former Bungie veterans" studio, and they already own Bungie, so they will probably merge and try to get the money back via Bungie's next game. Concord is already that type of game anyways.

ProbablyMonsters (parent company) profits from the sale, Firewalk Studios (Concord devs) profit from the cash injection and even get their own building, Sony so far loses, but basically buys back the half of Bungie that they hadn't bought before.
The game failed, the investors and developers probably didn't. Sony may have failed, depending on how Bungie's next game Marathon, on which Firewalk will now also contribute work, does.

Anyways, I don't care enough about this to post more, I just wanted to say that the 400 million number became canonical for no reason, and that people reacted to it by saying OMG I CANT BELIEVE THIS and then instantly believing it and repeating it. Very unhealthy behavior.

scytheavatar

Scholar
The first 200 million is two loans that the parent company took for this studio AND for other studios and some "idea incubator". Its not just for Concord.
Whatever they were smoking ought to be on a list somewhere.
Why? They got their money back, when they sold the studio to Sony. It was a good investment, as far as they are concerned.
200 million for the Concord studio AND other studios, and they get 200 million from Sony only for Concord devs. Profit!
On the other side, Sony got the "former Bungie veterans" studio, and they already own Bungie, so they will probably merge and try to get the money back via Bungie's next game. Concord is already that type of game anyways.

ProbablyMonsters (parent company) profits from the sale, Firewalk Studios (Concord devs) profit from the cash injection and even get their own building, Sony so far loses, but basically buys back the half of Bungie that they hadn't bought before.
The game failed, the investors and developers probably didn't. Sony may have failed, depending on how Bungie's next game Marathon, on which Firewalk will now also contribute work, does.

Anyways, I don't care enough about this to post more, I just wanted to say that the 400 million number became canonical for no reason, and that people reacted to it by saying OMG I CANT BELIEVE THIS and then instantly believing it and repeating it. Very unhealthy behavior.

Colin explicitly said 200 million was spent on Concord before the sale. ProbablyMonsters is an incubator, not a publisher, they do not exist to fund AAA games. They exist to fund games until a publisher picks them up, no publisher after a while means the game has to be cancelled. So obviously Sony has to have spent money on Concord before buying them, and more than what ProbablyMonsters has spent.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Sony may have failed, depending on how Bungie's next game Marathon, on which Firewalk will now also contribute work, does.
Is this a reboot/remake of the old Marathon series?
Its the new Bungie game, for which Sony bought them, that is in development hell. So now Sony bought the "Bungie veterans" studio, shut down their project, and is moving them to work on finishing Marathon.
I am not saying Concord was flopped on purpose, obviously not and obviously Sony wanted it to be big. I am saying there's a plan B for this studio already in action.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Colin explicitly said 200 million was spent on Concord before the sale.
Did you just read the title, or did you listen to the short clip fromt he podcast?
The combined amount of the two loans ProbablyMonsters took is 200 millions, and they have other projects running in parallel to this. 200 millions was spent, including on Concord, but also on their other shit.

ghardy

Educated
Nope, It's just a generic battle royale with no connection. Or at least that's what they announced it as, they may change their mind again.
Good. At least one decent sci-fi story won't be butchered.

What I read about the new Marathon is repulsive:

"The game is a team-based extraction shooter with a far-future sci-fi setting, and a cool, minimalist art style with lots of white space and splashes of neon color. It won’t have a single-player campaign. It’s in development for PlayStation 5, Windows PC, and Xbox Series X, with full cross-play and cross-save."

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Nope, It's just a generic battle royale with no connection. Or at least that's what they announced it as, they may change their mind again.
Good. At least one decent sci-fi story won't be butchered.

What I read about the new Marathon is repulsive:

"The game is a team-based extraction shooter with a far-future sci-fi setting, and a cool, minimalist art style with lots of white space and splashes of neon color. It won’t have a single-player campaign. It’s in development for PlayStation 5, Windows PC, and Xbox Series X, with full cross-play and cross-save."
Don't ask questions. Just laugh at flop and then get excited for next flop.

scytheavatar

Scholar
Colin explicitly said 200 million was spent on Concord before the sale.
Did you just read the title, or did you listen to the short clip fromt he podcast?
The combined amount of the two loans ProbablyMonsters took is 200 millions, and they have other projects running in parallel to this. 200 millions was spent, including on Concord, but also on their other shit.

Did you listen to the podcast? Colin said "up till the point when the game was in alpha state, they had already spent 200 million on it, and it is unclear how much of that money is from Probablymonsters and how much of it is from Sony". He never at any point said 200 million was the total funding ProbablyMonsters had. It sounds like you are the one confusing it with 200 million of funding which ProbablyMonsters raised, that those numbers are the same is nothing but pure coincidence.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Did you listen to the podcast? Colin said "up till the point when the game was in alpha state, they had already spent 200 million on it, and it is unclear how much of that money is from Probablymonsters and how much of it is from Sony". He never at any point said 200 million was the total funding ProbablyMonsters had.
Actually I got confused here, because we are talking 200 mil, but I still through we are talking 400 mil. Didn't notice the number switchup from the original conversation I had ITT.
400 is the number that gets mentioned in the titles, but not in the interview. Anyways, its still a guy says that other guy says that this number.

It sounds like you are the one confusing it with 200 million of funding which ProbablyMonsters raised, that those numbers are the same is nothing but pure coincidence.
Eeehhhhhhhh....
They could be coincidence, if both were official numbers. If one number is official, and the other is a guy said that a guy said so, I am inclined to think we have a case of broken telephone, where someone misunderstood what was being said to them.
200 million is just entirely too much money for a game that was 90% outsourced to south-east Asia. And it is a single source, one vector of information, making an unlikely and abnormal claim.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Regarding the timeframe of development, because I saw in the comments of that original Twitter video that people are saying 200 millions over 8 years of dev:
2.jpg

1.jpg

thesecret1

Arcane
Actually I got confused here, because we are talking 200 mil, but I still through we are talking 400 mil
You are talking 200 mil spent on Concord BEFORE the Sony acquisition. ANOTHER 200 mil was spent after the acquisition, bringing the total to 400 mil

scytheavatar

Scholar
Did you listen to the podcast? Colin said "up till the point when the game was in alpha state, they had already spent 200 million on it, and it is unclear how much of that money is from Probablymonsters and how much of it is from Sony". He never at any point said 200 million was the total funding ProbablyMonsters had.
Actually I got confused here, because we are talking 200 mil, but I still through we are talking 400 mil. Didn't notice the number switchup from the original conversation I had ITT.
400 is the number that gets mentioned in the titles, but not in the interview. Anyways, its still a guy says that other guy says that this number.

It sounds like you are the one confusing it with 200 million of funding which ProbablyMonsters raised, that those numbers are the same is nothing but pure coincidence.
Eeehhhhhhhh....
They could be coincidence, if both were official numbers. If one number is official, and the other is a guy said that a guy said so, I am inclined to think we have a case of broken telephone, where someone misunderstood what was being said to them.
200 million is just entirely too much money for a game that was 90% outsourced to south-east Asia. And it is a single source, one vector of information, making an unlikely and abnormal claim.

The exact claim from Colin is that 200 million was spent on the game before alpha and the game was still shit up till that point. Sony then went "that's not ok", brought the studio and spent another 200 million on the game, to rush it for release in 2024. The claim basically amounts to saying what Sony cared about wasn't Concord the game, they cared about Concord the IP and how it could be their Star Wars. Which is why stuff like weekly cinematics was emphasized when it is something very few players care about.

Believable? True? Who knows, but that is what that is claimed. The scariest thing to come out of the video wasn't that Concord cost 400 million, it's that there are projects still in development Sony which cost even more. Which means Marathon might be an even bigger bomb for Sony.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Actually I got confused here, because we are talking 200 mil, but I still through we are talking 400 mil
You are talking 200 mil spent on Concord BEFORE the Sony acquisition. ANOTHER 200 mil was spent after the acquisition, bringing the total to 400 mil
Sony spent NO money before the acquisition that we know of. The money spent before was the money from Probably Monsters. They spend 250 millions TOTAL, on all their studios, and all their games, which are several. That 200 of that amount went to Concort seems very improbable, and there's no reason to think so other than a guy said so.
The money Sony spent seems to be 200 in total, which includes purchasing a building for the studio. So not really money spent "on the game", and not money wasted by the game failing. The building is still there. The studio is still owned by Sony, in Sony's offices, almost certainly working on Sony's other similar game, Marathon.

Believable? True? Who knows, but that is what that is claimed. The scariest thing to come out of the video wasn't that Concord cost 400 million, it's that there are projects still in development Sony which cost even more. Which means Marathon might be an even bigger bomb for Sony.
Man, you are now speculating based on previous speculations. Spider Man leaked how many copies it needs to sell to "break even", and the math was a budget of around 300 millions WITH MARKETING. And that was probably Sony's biggest game. This is why the 400 mil number is unreasonable, its just an outrageous sum with a single unofficial source.

scytheavatar

Scholar
Sony spent NO money before the acquisition that we know of. The money spent before was the money from Probably Monsters. They spend 250 millions TOTAL, on all their studios, and all their games, which are several. That 200 of that amount went to Concort seems very improbable, and there's no reason to think so other than a guy said so.

Again, Probably Monsters is not a publisher. They are an incubator. It seems to me you do not understand the difference between the two. Probably Monsters cannot and will not pay for Concord's full development, they can only pay until Firewalk finds a publisher. Which they did in 2021.

Man, you are now speculating based on previous speculations. Spider Man leaked how many copies it needs to sell to "break even", and the math was a budget of around 300 millions WITH MARKETING. And that was probably Sony's biggest game. This is why the 400 mil number is unreasonable, its just an outrageous sum with a single unofficial source.

The fact that Sony even spent 300 million on Spiderman 2 shows that the people there are not very competent or in control of their studios. Based on that I am not sure any figure is "unreasonable". Outrageous, yeah.

There has been whispers from people like David Jaffe that Hermen Hulst is not held at a high opinion by the devs who have worked under him, and over time it seems those whispers are becoming more and more believable.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Again, Probably Monsters is not a publisher. They are an incubator. It seems to me you do not understand the difference between the two. Probably Monsters cannot and will not pay for Concord's full development, they can only pay until Firewalk finds a publisher. Which they did in 2021.
They are an incubator, as in they INVEST into a startup, so they can sell it for profit later. And they did invest 200 millions total in all their startup studios. Then they sold Firewalk for 200 millions to Sony. From what I understand, Sony bought only after they saw a playable build for the game, which was called something else at the time and had a slightly different gameplay setup. That is, a product already existed.

There has been whispers from people like David Jaffe that Hermen Hulst is not held at a high opinion by the devs who have worked under him, and over time it seems those whispers are becoming more and more believable.
And there are other gaming journos and just developers saying the sum mentioned is absurd and there's no way 400 millions was spent on that game, over its ~4 years development.
The big problem here is that there is only 1 (one) source for this unlikely information, yet everyone is republishing and spreading it. That's my only issue. I don't care about the game itself, or Sony, or Playstation, or Marathon, or even the genre.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom