Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Consortium: The Tower - now available on Early Access

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
You also did a few other ones:

Yes... yes, I know. Thank you for reminding me, even if you chose to "forget" my descent into anger very shortly thereafter as I continued playing past the first five hours and realized the true scale of the game's flaws, and then that they'd barely even managed to string two lines of dialogue together properly past the first 1/3rd of the game.

The honeymoon phase is real, nigga. We're all susceptible.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Ok, I am a Fig user now as well :D
Already 100k investments. If all KS backers back this project they cannot fail.

OracleX

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
This investing into games, is new to me (like the whole Fig crowdfunding) Are you guys doing it :takemymoney: ? Looks intrestring... maybe consortium isn't the best game for it. Don't expect "The Tower" to sell much more copy's then the first title.
When investing, do you at least a digital version of the game to?

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
You have to consider the difference in CAD-USD and the fact that they are giving discount codes for Kickstarter backers to give away to friends. I still don't think this would have hit its goal without the investment part, mind you. I'd never invest in a project like this, judging from the results of the first game. Backing for $20 or more for rewards is another matter. Going in for investments on this and expecting a return is dangerous. I'd compare it to gambling with low odds to win.

Bashar

Literate
I supported the previous kickstarter but am holding off on the Fig campaign. It's a hard decision because I really want the game to succeed; however, I was disappointed in the attitude some of the developers showed before. When some codexers raised legitimate concerns about the budget, I relayed them to the iDGi team and expected a slam dunk answer. Instead the response was flippant, as if they felt entitled to $300k because of how amazing and cool their ideas are. I get that developers can be an idiosyncratic lot and boatloads of self-confidence is essential to getting a product out the door, I just felt that a little more humility was in order for someone who is essentially begging for that much money. So while I'll probably pledge later on because I really do like the game, I'm taking a step back to see if iDGi approaches this new campaign differently.

Also, the free game for "super backer" status isn't that much of a risk on their part. As already stated above, there's only one more title planned for the franchise (though I could see them stretching it out to four, since The Tower is partly made up of content that had to be cut from Consortium 1 for budgetary reasons). Moreover, iDGi knows that anybody willing to help crowdfund the project is probably interested enough in the franchise to donate money in the future, regardless of whether or not it's "free". As backers we're essentially paying a premium help ensure that the game is actually developed. People whose only interest is getting the best value always know its better to wait for a sale.

Melan

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! I helped put crap in Monomyth
I pledged. The likelihood of getting the game as advertised is not very high, but it's not like we are drowning in a sea of good immersive sims. Hope springs eternal.

They are at $243,397 of their $300,000 goal, so they look like they'll make it. I think they could have succeeded on KS if their project got better coverage.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I pledged. The likelihood of getting the game as advertised is not very high, but it's not like we are drowning in a sea of good immersive sims. Hope springs eternal.

They are at $243,397 of their $300,000 goal, so they look like they'll make it. I think they could have succeeded on KS if their project got better coverage.
Nah, look at the investment vs pledge ratio.

73% investments
27% Pledges

Money spent per backer/invester = $124.

Meanwhile, the Kickstarter campaign looked like this: 182,780CAD/4616 equals approximately 40CAD per backer.

Last edited:

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
http://www.pcgamesn.com/consortium/...quickly-surpassing-its-entire-kickstarter-run

Consortium: The Tower raises over $155k on Fig in 24 hours, quickly surpassing its entire Kickstarter run

consortium_2.jpg

Consortium: The Tower, the ambitious sequel to the short and sweet immersive sim, Consortium, has raised over half of its crowdfunding goal on crowdfunding site Fig, which is more than it raised in its entire funding drive on Kickstarter.

Consortium gives you choices and lets you use your words, but I can't say the same for everything in our list of best FPS games.

At the time of writing, $259,383 has been raised of the game's $300,000 goal, and there are still 30 days left. "We’re thrilled to see such major headway right out of the gates for the next entry in the Consortium trilogy," said CEO of Interdimensional Games Gregory MacMartin. "Fig backers have shown more support in one day than in a month on Kickstarter.”

“We’ve been blown away by the outpouring of support,” added Justin Bailey, Founder and CEO, Fig. “It just goes to show that when you give players an opportunity to support the games they are passionate about, they further empower the innovative spirit of creators like Greg which makes games like Consortium: The Tower a possibility.”

Consortium: The Tower is a really exciting project and I'm glad it's finally getting the backing it deserves thanks to a savvy switch to a different, less crowded platform. Immersive sims are one of the only genres that tap into what makes games great, offering choice in a world that reacts to your every action. It's fantastic that a small developer is attempting to push the genre forward. I mean, just look at this for an example:

In Consortium: The Tower the world around you will continue on with or without your input. Remember in Deus Ex: Invisible War where you're told to hurry to the mission, but you actually just dicked around hacking you co-workers computers instead? Remember how surprised you were when you realised there were consequences to that? Consortium: The Tower will be a whole game of that, basically.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

First stretch goal: https://www.fig.co/campaigns/consortium-the-tower?update=136

First stretch goal revealed!
POSTED: 04/10/2016
Greetings everyone!

Real quick update. WE ARE GETTING CLOSE TO 80% FUNDED!! We're all so excited and relieved here that there is so much interest in us and our project! It looks like we might just be able to add some cool new features to the game...with your help.

So, we're proud to announce our first stretch goal. See below.

body_width.jpeg

ArchAngel

Arcane
I guess Fig was good for some developers. I read somewhere that 250$ investment for it should give back 2000$ or something like that.
If that is true then they will go bankrupt by trying to pay back 8x 224K+ to investors + what Fig takes. Even if this game sells well they will not be left with money to make a new one. Unless it sells really well.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I don't know on how Fig investing works, but aren't return on investment dependent on the revenue of the project itself? The 2000 USD is a projection if the game sells certain amount of units. If in fact the sales is lower, then the return for investment should be lower as well?

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
Yup, there's a "calculator" when you click the invest button which shows you how much can you expect if the game sells X copies. It makes the estimate taking into consideration almost full price, so it's going to be on the (very) high side of expectations. Also the data for the other games sold units it's taken from SteamSpy so aside from not being totally accurate it will have a lot of units being sold way below initial price. Don't know if the units sold they claim for their first game are full price or not, but they've probably been masked a little too.

So no, considering the low sales the first game got and the failed kickstarter it's probably not a good idea investing on this game.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Yup, there's a "calculator" when you click the invest button which shows you how much can you expect if the game sells X copies. It makes the estimate taking into consideration almost full price, so it's going to be on the (very) high side of expectations. Also the data for the other games sold units it's taken from SteamSpy so aside from not being totally accurate it will have a lot of units being sold way below initial price. Don't know if the units sold they claim for their first game are full price or not, but they've probably been masked a little too.

So no, considering the low sales the first game got and the failed kickstarter it's probably not a good idea investing on this game.
Not so sure. 1st game was made in worse engine, done by less experienced people, done in smaller playground and so on.
Also Fig helps with promoting the game. People behind Fig have connections in media world and can push Fig games to get proper reviews, previews and interviews. Afterall Fig also earns money by getting a % of sales from that game.

Doktor Best

Arcane
I am happy for them. They are pure enthusiasts, then they fell flat on their nose, they got back up and now they got funded. And they are doing the right type of game, theyre hitting a niche market and if they can manage to pour out decent quality and gain some coverage on gaming news sites they will get their sales.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I am happy for them. They are pure enthusiasts, then they fell flat on their nose, they got back up and now they got funded. And they are doing the right type of game, theyre hitting a niche market and if they can manage to pour out decent quality and gain some coverage on gaming news sites they will get their sales.
Is it niche? I could see a lot of new Deus Ex fans also play this game if marketed well (and if they improve graphics which they said they would).

Doktor Best

Arcane
Maybe i was using the wrong term. I meant that shooter/rpg hybrids are a genre that is not very broadly represented, there is not much competition for them. And yes, Deus Ex Fans will be looking out for this title. It has the potencial to be a surprise hit.

Karwelas

Dwarf Taffer
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut I helped put crap in Monomyth
For me it is hard to say what genre those game will be (and in one case - are), but those are sure interesting projects. I like first game very much, but I feel that certain amount of people will either drop game or bitch about that lore/story is really big bunch of mess if you don't know where start.

Still, I feel great about this one and if they will keep their word and make everything as it is on trailers, it will be good one.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing

I'll add to this by mentioning their estimated break-even point:

RFeTYtk.png

* Estimates as to when an investor would break even and then start seeing profits do not take account of certain possible costs and deductions, such as taxes, that are difficult to estimate with reliability. If any assumptions prove to be incorrect, or if any costs not accounted for prove to be material, then the point at which an investor would break even could be substantially higher than estimated.

They need to sell 52k copies at full price in the absolute best case, pie-in-the-sky scenario :shittydog:

Gord

Arcane
They need to sell 52k copies at full price in the absolute best case, pie-in-the-sky scenario :shittydog:

With the right marketing and if they manage to attract the right crowd of people (e.g. Deus Ex fans, both old and new), they could easily sell much more than that at full price.
That's a big if, however, and they might just as likely sell most of it at heavy discounts...

Mustawd

Anyone aware if there is a certain time frame for the revenue to hit the milestones?

Most PE funds tend to wind down after a certain period of time. And it seems like Fig is treating the games as a separate fund each time.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
With the right marketing

Well,...

eKfZZyg.jpg

At least they're spending only $6,000 on backer rewards.

edit: I'm also not sure where the Jeremy Soule money is located here. Is it part of "recording"? Are they just going to reuse the soundtrack from the first game?

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm digging "Writing team: 10%" :M

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom