Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Crispy abusing his mod powers in shoutbox which he shouldn't have per the agreement made.

demod crispy?

• yes

Votes: 35 39.3%
  • make latro shoutbox moderator

Votes: 7 7.9%
  • no

Votes: 27 30.3%
  • :kingcomrade:

Votes: 20 22.5%

• Total voters

Peachcurl

Cipher
And thus, judgement was passed.

warhammer-40k.gif

Self-Ejected

Zizka

Self-Ejected
Crispy, you did good parenting.

A lot of children grow up with lax parents and the concept of boundaries is therefore completely foreign to them. They’ll grow up as adults, thinking the world is their playground and they can do whatever they wish, disregarding how it might affect their surroundings. Spamming is a manifestation of such egoistical behaviour.

Since they can’t set their own boundaries, they need other people to step up and do it for them. He was being a pest, you warned him, he chose to continue and suffered the consequences… he then repeated the same behaviour the next day, clearly showing he had not learned his lesson.

Although you were out jurisdiction, you did right to step up and smoke the spammer.

A one week ban is oddly lenient however.

Absinthe

Arcane
DU bans for a ridiculous reason and Zizka immediately shows up to lick Crispy's boots.

Crispy isn't anyone's dad and there's a lot more to disciplined parenting than getting pissed off at kids and putting them in timeout. If anything Crispy proved that it's possible for people to get under his skin and get a rise out of him, which is not how mature parenting works. So Zizka, stop projecting whatever bullshit you got going on in your life on Crispy and whatever the fuck is happening on the Codex. It's unhealthy, and it makes you an idiot.

Unwanted

†††

Patron
Really how hard is to not lose your cool? that's the only thing you need to not get banned. Like nigga just walk away from the screen if Crispy is getting under your skin hahahaha

Skinwalker

*teleports within you*
Patron
RPGCodex would be considerably better if crispy had no mod privileges whatsoever, anywhere. Any particular reason JarlFrank can't rapeplace him as a mod?

Self-Ejected

Zizka

Self-Ejected
Again, a well-deserved ban. (Adult) Spammers need boundaries set for them, much like children need them. It’s good upbringing. It’s a bit late to enforce for adults but better late than never.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
I know hardly anyone here will believe me, but my actions were completely dispassionate. I will admit to being quite irritated from the standpoint of being a member and fan of this site for nearly 15 years when anyone violates what I deem to be sacred areas of the site -- namely, the RPG sections of the forums and the new RPG section of Shoutbox -- but I don't let that necessarily dictate or affect my decisions when it comes to what little power has been granted to me here. I started off with a one hour ban for Watser on Saturday, then an eight hour ban on Sunday, then a permaban from RPG discussion because of what you can all see he did. All after repeated warnings and even saying please don't do that. That's reasonable considering his clear intent, despite his whining about "it was just a few posts". Bullshit. It was a clear and deliberate attempt to inconvenience other members who had nothing to do with the situation solely due to butthurt about your (his) own shitty behavior.

In essence, Watser threw a tantrum and is now being punished for that childish act.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I know hardly anyone here will believe me, but my actions were completely dispassionate. I will admit to being quite irritated from the standpoint of being a member and fan of this site for nearly 15 years when anyone violates what I deem to be sacred areas of the site -- namely, the RPG sections of the forums and the new RPG section of Shoutbox -- but I don't let that necessarily dictate or affect my decisions when it comes to what little power has been granted to me here. I started off with a one hour ban for Watser on Saturday, then an eight hour ban on Sunday, then a permaban from RPG discussion because of what you can all see he did. All after repeated warnings and even saying please don't do that. That's reasonable considering his clear intent, despite his whining about "it was just a few posts". Bullshit. It was a clear and deliberate attempt to inconvenience other members who had nothing to do with the situation solely due to butthurt about your (his) own shitty behavior.

In essence, Watser threw a tantrum and is now being punished for that childish act.
Either way, you owe asfasf money.

Absinthe

Arcane
Zizka immediately proceeds to ignore every counterpoint to his views on what constitutes proper parenting, projects his own views upon others as he proceeds to infantilize them, and appears to vicariously identify with moderation in an attempt to feel a modicum of authority and validation over his own life's views, but feels qualified to give opinions on parental guidance and maturity all the same. I see the Dunning-Kruger effect is strong with this one.

Crispy, you should've got another mod to handle it considering your personal views on him, and you should recognize you tend to handle these problems by pouring oil on fire and then taking it out on someone. Also, as a guy who's been posting quite a bit on RPG Discussion box, the inconvenience struck me as very mild, which is why I brought it up in regular shoutbox in the first place. He was acting out slightly, but only that. You, on the other hand, felt slighted by this, which you then transferred into your views on rules-breaking behavior, and immediately tossed him a permaban, viewing this as an acceptable escalation of bans after your shoutbox moderating habits had already gotten you removed from shoutbox moderation.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Is banning Watser for repeating "nigger" fair? Or for putting a few spam messages in who-cares-box justified? I don't know, it's not my site. I don't think so, but I won't make excuses. If you think he needs to be suspended then suspend him.

However, is taking $500 for not moderating shoutbox and then doing exactly that a right thing to do? No way, that's not just immoral, that is breaking the basics of decency and reputation (as a moderator even more so).

How can DU defend it is beyond my comprehensiveness. If you said Watser is punished for being a retard, and also punish Crispy by removing his privileges until he pays back asfasf, then fine, but you actively promote moderators being dishonest and cheaters

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
For the tenth time, kony, this is a new site.

However, a point was made about the spirit of the agreement and, after consideration (and being reminded by DU), I have decided to honor the spirit of that agreement. Even though asfasdf doesn't appear to post here anymore, a deal is still a deal.

Now, after all that, if you're still going to call me "immoral" (lol) then I suggest you consider seeing a proctologist for that stick you have wedged into your anus.

Absinthe

Arcane
Crispy, you appear to have a habit of getting defensive and "astonished" when people want some accountability and responsible behavior out of you. Please understand, modding actually requires these things, as well as some level of interpersonal skills, and you seem to mishandle that.

Konjad

Patron
For the tenth time, kony, this is a new site.

However, a point was made about the spirit of the agreement and, after consideration (and being reminded by DU), I have decided to honor the spirit of that agreement. Even though asfasdf doesn't appear to post here anymore, a deal is still a deal.

Now, after all that, if you're still going to call me "immoral" (lol) then I suggest you consider seeing a proctologist for that stick you have wedged into your anus.
asfasdf was online just today, once PtD source code was released he almost instantly worked on it, and within last 31 days posted 5 posts, yet you claim he doesn't post here anymore? and if we included whole may that would be 22 messages. wtf?

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
kony said:
yet you claim he doesn't post here anymore

I said it doesn't appear as if he posts here anymore. I haven't seen him in Shoutbox in over a week, which is the salient point.

Calm down, kony.

Absinthe

Arcane
accountability and responsible behavior out of you
I don't think you fully grasp the nature of this place.
You're going to lose that fight every time, if you want to pretend the nature of the Codex is that you should get away with exhibiting neither of these traits. Stop acting like a prima donna.

kony said:
yet you claim he doesn't post here anymore
I said it doesn't appear as if he posts here anymore. I haven't seen him in Shoutbox in over a week, which is the salient point.

Calm down, kony.
Nice goalpost-moving. No one will ever notice.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
I guess I have to spell it out for you two? Odd.

Since it doesn't seem that asfasdf has been posting in Shoutbox for over a week, one MIGHT conclude that me using moderator powers in it is really a moot point. Right? Can we agree on that? I mean if the guy left Codex forever who would care, right? I realize he hasn't left Codex forever, but there's no harm in one considering the possibility, seeing as he used to post in Shoutbox every single day without exception until the XF2 version of Codex came on line. Thus, maybe he's just sick of it?

However, that's only a tangential side point. The crux of the matter is that he paid the money, and, I have to admit, even though this technically isn't the same site anymore, and thus I don't have any "moral" obligation to honor that agreement, still, an argument can be made that it should still be honored nevertheless. Thus, I have decided to do so.

I don't think it's moving the goalposts when a modifying factor, as minor as it may be, is introduced into the argument. asfasdf isn't here, so who cares, right? However, I then go on in the very next paragraph to state, paraphrasing myself, that that doesn't matter; the right thing to do is to honor the agreement anyway, even if I don't really have to.

Is that ethical enough for you two? I suspect not.

Konjad

Patron
I guess I have to spell it out for you two? Odd.

Since it doesn't seem that asfasdf has been posting in Shoutbox for over a week, one MIGHT conclude that me using moderator powers in it is really a moot point. Right? Can we agree on that? I mean if the guy left Codex forever who would care, right? I realize he hasn't left Codex forever, but there's no harm in one considering the possibility, seeing as he used to post in Shoutbox every single day without exception until the XF2 version of Codex came on line. Thus, maybe he's just sick of it?
No, he's active on the forum, and I don't remember him paying you for not moderating only as long as he posts in shoutbox

However, that's only a tangential side point. The crux of the matter is that he paid the money, and, I have to admit, even though this technically isn't the same site anymore, and thus I don't have any "moral" obligation to honor that agreement, still, an argument can be made that it should still be honored nevertheless. Thus, I have decided to do so.
Did URL of the site change?
I don't think it's moving the goalposts when a modifying factor, as minor as it may be, is introduced into the argument. asfasdf isn't here, so who cares, right? However, I then go on in the very next paragraph to state, paraphrasing myself, that that doesn't matter; the right thing to do is to honor the agreement anyway, even if I don't really have to.

Is that ethical enough for you two? I suspect not.
I just mentioned asfasdf still posts here, and you took the money not for any limited amount of time like "as long as he's here" so it's irrelevant anyway. In addition, you accuse others of moving goal posts, then doing exactly this.

Also, you already broke the agreement, it was clear as a day, I don't think anybody ever had doubts what it meant - except you now as an excuse

Konjad

Patron
kony said:
What the fuck does it even mean, not everyone knows American philosophers.

Critical RPG Codex lore check failure!
Alright, so teach me, what did he say about taking $500 for not moderating shoutbox and then moderating shoutbox?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom