Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grand Strategy Crusader Kings III

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
054032228ded24578b6eb5e16a81cd8eb135d4e8.png

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...he-stupid-footstool-event-is-removed.1515758/

Apparently events are just fucked up. They'll arbitrarily change the game state to force *DRAMA!* rather than just be an event that reflects the game state. So when you hold court and get an event about an ally being deposed, you actually caused the ally to be deposed that day by holding court. If you get an event about an ambitious vassal or a murderer then the game actually just overwrote their traits to be that way that day, they could have been (and likely were) a perfectly normal and loyal person the day before. I knew something had to be fucked up with how the way events worked in CK3 but this is astonishingly bad, it's like their event writers don't understand what events are supposed to be. I'm sure the entire game is infested by this filth.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
That's the other thing, they only play their in-house LAN games so they have no connection issues in MP

Right? Even if you were the kind of turbo nerd who could get 20 friends to play a super niche complicated indie game you still couldn't have enjoyable MP because of various issues. But the people making the game are playing the game weekly with each other plus special streamer mega games. How are these people at all in line with regular users? Well aside from obsessing over shit memes and incest. I guess if you live in Sweden sometimes the only fuck buddy option within a hundred miles is a cousin if not a sibling.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...he-stupid-footstool-event-is-removed.1515758/

Apparently events are just fucked up. They'll arbitrarily change the game state to force *DRAMA!* rather than just be an event that reflects the game state. So when you hold court and get an event about an ally being deposed, you actually caused the ally to be deposed that day by holding court. If you get an event about an ambitious vassal or a murderer then the game actually just overwrote their traits to be that way that day, they could have been (and likely were) a perfectly normal and loyal person the day before. I knew something had to be fucked up with how the way events worked in CK3 but this is astonishingly bad, it's like their event writers don't understand what events are supposed to be. I'm sure the entire game is infested by this filth.
Wait is this shit true? Unfucking believable.

Üstad

Arcane
Is the game playable at the moment? Is there noticable late game lag? I have 16gb ram and i5-11400 processor. CK2 lag was notorious even for decent PCs.

kangaxx

Arbiter
I never played CK2 but from what I've seen online a lot of people preferred that. Of course it may be because they've released a ton of DLC that fleshed it out (i.e. released what should have been the full game in 20 x £10 clips), whereas CK3 is bare bones at the moment.

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
There are fundamental design problems with CK3, like the "We're forcing events no matter what" thing. Happened in CK2 as well, but it was much rarer.

Delterius

Arcane
warfare in this game is so exploitable its ridiculous and stupid

i have 10 counties all buffing my swordsman and can easily conquer the abbasids with just my men at arms. like, lmao

i remember people hyper exploiting the traits and secret societies in ck2 to get hyperwar levels of power in their retinues. there was a guy who killed the 100k strong mongol invasion with a 5k? boys up a hill. but i don't even know half the shit he pulled. in here it's obvious what to do.

0/10 game. i have played for a 100 hours already.

I never played CK2 but from what I've seen online a lot of people preferred that. Of course it may be because they've released a ton of DLC that fleshed it out (i.e. released what should have been the full game in 20 x £10 clips), whereas CK3 is bare bones at the moment.

This wasn't the case. At launch CKII allowed you to play all of the Christian nations and crusade against Muslims. All of the mainline systems that are present in the current release of the game were there at launch in different forms. All the politics, alliances through marriage, events. The main thing that's changed over time is the tediousness factor of accomplishing certain goals. The game was a lot more arcadey when it launched. Conquering the world was far easier because penalties for doing unrealistic shit were less severe. A double edged sword, depending on who you asked. Personally, the more simulationist in terms of balance it got, the less fun it became. That being said, there isn't much difference in how you went about successfully running your demense then or now.

The DLC mostly made the different religions and cultures playable. Added some extra fluff, like the college of cardinals that basically nobody used due to feature creep and more ways to start wars. Adding in India, central Africa, the Eurasian steppes was a mistake and it just diverted focus from the center of attention in the medieval world. The crusades themselves took forever to become anything more than their most simple form in vanilla. It was jarring to see how basic they were compared to all other content that was changed and added around them for the longest time. The final DLC partially fixed this. Still, I weep for what could have been if they had have kept their focus where it belonged, in the west and near-east.

CK2 is pretty good for flavor nowadays. And if you have a game centered around the byzantine empire and the muslim caliphates then you can't not have the eurasian steppe.

Yeah you can, it could exist on the map for all I care, but it didn't need to be playable. The Eurasian Steppes were only tangential to what was going on in the Crusades. In the main timeline, the Turks had already swept down into the levant prior to the start date. Spending the time and resources developing hundreds of events and new systems for steppe nomads was a waste of effort when it could have been better spent expanding the flavor of the Crusades themselves. There should have been hundreds of events relating to those alone for both Christians and Muslims, not to mention the Byzantines. Before Holy Fury released, they were utterly boring compared to the new content springing up around them and that was for most of the game's life. Even with it released, I'd say the politics in that area were never to the point they should have been and the things that can happen down there are still barebones.

Monks and Mystics was another letdown. Copy-pasta monastic orders. No Fransiscans. No Cistercians. No religious councils, no added interaction or expansion of heresies. The time spent on some of the major expansions would have been better spent on expanding the scope of some of these lesser ones imo.

Hace El Oso

Arcane
Patron
Spending the time and resources developing hundreds of events and new systems for steppe nomads was a waste of effort when it could have been better spent expanding the flavor of the Crusades themselves. There should have been hundreds of events relating to those alone for both Christians and Muslims, not to mention the Byzantines. Before Holy Fury released, they were utterly boring compared to the new content springing up around them and that was for most of the game's life. Even with it released, I'd say the politics in that area were never to the point they should have been and the things that can happen down there are still barebones.

The newer developers just don’t have the education or the interest to do anything like that, and instead you get pagan alt-history, modern sensibilities and memes.

Monks and Mystics was another letdown. Copy-pasta monastic orders. No Fransiscans. No Cistercians. No religious councils, no added interaction or expansion of heresies.

The biggest disappointment and missed opportunity of them all. But again, modern Christian-hating people aren’t going to lower themselves to a creating such systems.

Delterius

Arcane
but it didn't need to be playable.
people said that about everything from republics (its crusader KINGS!!1!) to muslims and pagans (its CRUSADER kings!!). i had a lot of fun playing with the different types of governments and so on. wouldn't want them removed. i could only do without the most extreme things like aztec invasion.
The Eurasian Steppes were only tangential to what was going on in the Crusades.
the eurasian steppe is a permanent presence in the military life and politics of both the caliphate and the roman empire. if anything there should have been events and systems in place to represent the permanent recruitment and training of elite soldiers-slaves from the steppe, tying into the unique nomad government mechanics.
expanding the flavor of the Crusades themselves.
holy fury already made the crusades pretty fun
Monks and Mystics was another letdown.
in particular because the orders are copy and paste across every religion imo

Delterius

Arcane
The Biggest Holy Order gap I felt was the lack of Knightly Orders, which is just fucking stupid. I know Christians had the access to most Societies out of everyone else, but like 80% of those are lame stuff that turns you into some chaste monk-king or something. The rest was Hermetic Society and the Satanists. Literally nothing for a Christian Crusader King who wants to pulverize some infidels, heathens and heretics.
There's a mod that creates knightly lodges out of the mercenary holy orders. Similar gaps are filled by the islamic monastic orders mod, and a weirdo trader's compact mod that I never tried because merchant republics are overpowered already. TBH monastic orders are great. The ability to steal jesus' prepuce/shroud/nail/cd case is great. The one time I united India as nestorian I had to rely on the monastic order's magic conversion powers in order to convert the continent (only one holy site = bad religious authority). I think the reason they didn't add knightly orders for christians is because Holy Fury turned the crusades into a loot pinata. Which is not a solution if you're orthodox/coptic.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
The Biggest Holy Order gap I felt was the lack of Knightly Orders, which is just fucking stupid. I know Christians had the access to most Societies out of everyone else, but like 80% of those are lame stuff that turns you into some chaste monk-king or something. The rest was Hermetic Society and the Satanists. Literally nothing for a Christian Crusader King who wants to pulverize some infidels, heathens and heretics.

Meanwhile pagans had the Warrior Lodges which were awesome for war-waging and really had excellent synergies with pagan religions in general, especially angrier ones like the Vikings.

Someone made a mod that put in Chivalric Societies for Christians. It was really well done.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom