Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grand Strategy Crusader Kings III

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
Follow the path of history with a definite end goal in mind or play out a completely new fate for the region. Be the early founder of a Hispania steeped in blood, or bring together a multicultural caliphate in peace.

Will it have Jews playing both sides against each other? I bet not.

Dev diary here, since our spambot can't be assed: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/developer-diary/dev-diary-93-turmoil-in-the-peninsula.1521199/

"Struggle" system just screams more pointless mechanics.

Last edited:

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Follow the path of history with a definite end goal in mind or play out a completely new fate for the region. Be the early founder of a Hispania steeped in blood, or bring together a multicultural caliphate in peace.

Dev diary here, since our spambot can't be assed: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/developer-diary/dev-diary-93-turmoil-in-the-peninsula.1521199/

Not worth the price tag and frankly the worst DLC I've ever seen released. I'm hoping that CK3 fails even more and takes this worthless SJW pit of hell with it.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer

Enbaling the functions of the struggle system through general gameplay mechanics would be awesome. Custom code with lots of limitations and fancy progress bars is shit. Of course as a real time game with way too large a map which has to function in multiplayer I'm not sure they could do it "properly". Too many limitations hemming them in.

thesecret1

Arcane
How do you think they are going to make 40 DLC and milk this game
They didn't need this shit in CK2. And in EU4, it took them hell of a lot longer to reach that point. It's been year and a half, and so far, they've released one expansion (that ended up being trash), and two flavour packs. That's pathetic.

Delterius

Arcane
Adding in India, central Africa, the Eurasian steppes was a mistake and it just diverted focus from the center of attention in the medieval world.

Big disagree.

That old map was atrocious, and it had to go.
Central africa was too much though especially in CK2 as it's poorly optimized.
CK2 used to be poorly optimized, years ago. And northern west africa was barely relevant when it came to performance issues. Very few provinces means very few characters, and it's likely to stay tribal for the entire game.

Plus the gold rush events are funny as fuck.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Been playing the game for a bit, with all the DLCs and shit. I guess it was an okay time, even if it feels a bit lacking compared to CK2.

Anyway, my issue (and I'm sure I'm late to the party) is the allied AI. You can't rely on them at all. Sure, they show up for the most part, but then the only AI they seem to have is to follow you around, but at times they ignore battles you had hoped for them to join for some unknown reason. It's absolutely dreadful, and takes me out of the game constantly. And I can't fathom that there isn't a button to tell them to go somewhere, or where to focus. That's not the only problem though, since they follow you everywhere, they destroy the supplies in every county you enter, starving everyone to death.

I guess it will be too much to hope this will be fixed, as it is currently it is unplayable.

Last edited:

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
Been playing the game for a bit, with all the DLCs and shit. I guess it was an okay time, even if it feels a bit lacking compared to CK2.

Anyway, my issue (and I'm sure I'm late to the party) is the allied AI. You can't rely on them at all. Sure, they show up for the most part, but then the only AI they seem to have is to follow you around, but at times they ignore battles you had hoped for them to join for some unknown reason. It's absolutely dreadful, and takes me out of the game constantly. And I can't fathom that there isn't a button to tell them to go somewhere, or where to focus. That's not the only problem though, since they follow you everywhere, they destroy the supplies in every county you enter, starving everyone to death.

I guess it will be too much to hope this will be fixed, as it is currently it is unplayable.

If you had a button you'd be too OP since the AI couldn't support each other that way against you. Anyway it is what you deserve for liking CK3. No one feels bad for you.

halkony2012

Literate

After 200+ hours of CK2 and 3, honestly I think army combat is the most boring part of the game. Its a system severely lacking in interesting tactics and strategy. It's generally just "slam bigger number into smaller number" with some minor optimizations in terrain and unit types. Every time I play either game, I feel like min maxing for gold is always optimal. You improve your demesne, have funds to raise retinues, and eventually you're so tall the AI just can't keep up.

I've always been a bit frustrated by the fact that you can game army movement so easily by pausing in between move commands and checking the "Arrival" dates to catch a smaller army. Like yeah, you could not do it, but then it devolves into a stupid game of reaction that isn't the least bit rewarding.

I'm tempted to say there should be a more involved RTS component to army combat, but obviously Paradox would never spend the resources designing or implementing that.

Delterius

Arcane
I'm tempted to say there should be a more involved RTS component to army combat, but obviously Paradox would never spend the resources designing or implementing that.
tbh i don't think there should. of all the paradox games CK is the rpg sandbox. let it be that.

art in this dlc is pretty good. they are using great sources for it.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer

After 200+ hours of CK2 and 3, honestly I think army combat is the most boring part of the game. Its a system severely lacking in interesting tactics and strategy. It's generally just "slam bigger number into smaller number" with some minor optimizations in terrain and unit types. Every time I play either game, I feel like min maxing for gold is always optimal. You improve your demesne, have funds to raise retinues, and eventually you're so tall the AI just can't keep up.

I've always been a bit frustrated by the fact that you can game army movement so easily by pausing in between move commands and checking the "Arrival" dates to catch a smaller army. Like yeah, you could not do it, but then it devolves into a stupid game of reaction that isn't the least bit rewarding.

Another major downside of real time games is stupid shit like this. No matter what you do it is gamey on "catching" enemies and other combat stuff. With TBS you set your army to move somewhere and what happens, happens. Combat sucks because of course it does. You can't do RTS stuff because the "overworld" is moving along in real time. There's mods to export battles out to I think Bannerlord and it pauses the game while you fight, but obviously that isn't feasible in multiplayer which Paradox is obsessed with.

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
You can already play the battles in Bannerlord, is that not counting as total-war-like combat?
Bannerlord and Total War combat are different: In Bannerlord, you're controlling one person, leading an army. In Total War, you're controlling legions of armies.

I've seen the Bannerlord mod, and while the idea is great, needing to fire up an entirely different game to settle combat is ridiculous. Keep everything in one game.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
You can already play the battles in Bannerlord, is that not counting as total-war-like combat?
Bannerlord and Total War combat are different: In Bannerlord, you're controlling one person, leading an army. In Total War, you're controlling legions of armies.

I've seen the Bannerlord mod, and while the idea is great, needing to fire up an entirely different game to settle combat is ridiculous. Keep everything in one game.

Well in that case you're shit out of luck. You can't have battle modes in a real time game and especially not one geared to multiplayer.

halkony2012

Literate
tbh i don't think there should. of all the paradox games CK is the rpg sandbox. let it be that.

art in this dlc is pretty good. they are using great sources for it.

Agreed, the rest of the game is very enjoyable for what it is. Just spit balling really.

Another major downside of real time games is stupid shit like this. No matter what you do it is gamey on "catching" enemies and other combat stuff. With TBS you set your army to move somewhere and what happens, happens. Combat sucks because of course it does. You can't do RTS stuff because the "overworld" is moving along in real time. There's mods to export battles out to I think Bannerlord and it pauses the game while you fight, but obviously that isn't feasible in multiplayer which Paradox is obsessed with.

Never knew that, sounds really cool. I'll have to look into it.

For a game of this scale, would be totally ridiculous. What's the point of making it if people would probably auto-resolve combat 90% of the time?

I think it's important to note that even if Paradox did make something like this, it would blow dick because Paradox just doesn't make those kinds of games.

Deflowerer's comment reminds me of Age of Wonders 3 which had really fleshed out and interesting army combat, but it really broke up the flow of the civ building gameplay.
You could manually battle to keep all your units alive and waste a half hour, or just autoresolve and lose a unit or two at worst.

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
Well in that case you're shit out of luck.
I'm not missing out. I talked about *wishing* for Total War-like combat in CK2/3. Obviously, that's not at all possible from Paradox.

You can't have battle modes in a real time game and especially not one geared to multiplayer.

Multiplayer is irrelevant in this context.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
Well in that case you're shit out of luck.
I'm not missing out. I talked about *wishing* for Total War-like combat in CK2/3. Obviously, that's not at all possible from Paradox.

You can't have battle modes in a real time game and especially not one geared to multiplayer.

Multiplayer is irrelevant in this context.

Not in the context of a game that is desigened for multiplayer, which all Clausewitz games are.

Üstad

Arcane
After 200+ hours of CK2 and 3, honestly I think army combat is the most boring part of the game.
Adding Total War-like combat would be awesome.
The game's fundamentals is already dumbed down. Like post-war peace, succession, government types, distinction of cultures and religions are far from finished. I'm not fingerpointing you here but there is one major flaw of paradox fanboys, they care about cosmetic or meme stuff more than core aspects of the game.

Take a look at the culture pack, it only make cultures different in a gimmicky way meanwhile it should have drastically change the gameplay. The only thing differs some feudal dudes in Fergana Valley from the French realm is handful of cultural boons that's all. That's a very flawed game design, that's just a lipstick on a pig.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom