Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grand Strategy Crusader Kings III

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy

Fate of Iberia released. Patch notes here.

(Also Paradox decided to turn the Garments of the Holy Roman Empire DLC into a freebie.)

The real meat are the non-DLC changes, so let's check:

"Removed blockers to invite close/extended family children from foreign courts (they still have to accept though, most useful for getting wayward children of your own back to court)"
Good, that was a pain in the ass.

"The AI is now significantly more inclined to prioritize warring for their De Jure land"
Hopefully this helps against border gore.

"The AI can now properly select the Council task “Develop Country” task from the Steward"
:hmmm:

"You can now romance your incestuous lover: the tabou penalty is not applied if you are already a lover of the target"
:hmmm:

Basically if you don't care about Iberia it's nothing to write home about.

Üstad

Arcane
The problem with Crusader Kings game series it's that just like any other paradox game it's a poor simulation and suffers from bad game logic. Series of static modifiers and events acts as gods touch, trying fix the mess caused by bad game logic.

My subjects should be concerned about my power over them, this would calculated differently according to their personality of course but no such thing. Why am I as a temporal caliph, allowed to divorce or disallow my subjects from divorcing to entire sunni realm? Or why Bulgarians and Serbs can't create their autocephalous churches, seperating themselves from Byzantines? Why can't pagans have proper Popedom where the election of pope is inclusive to entirety to their religious realm? Or concerned about popes keep getting elected from same dynasty and fearful of balance of power? Why can't religions have proper authority modifiers?

Like when the religion is weak, you override some religions rules which creates might make it right situation, which was quite the case for both Islam and Christianity. Like Otto I elected pope arbitrarily and elected priests for church lands in his realm unopposed, atleast tried if I remember it right.

Authority of religion and central church institution would simulate the situation early christianity in Britain well for example. Distant peripheries, especially when the central authority (if any) fails to consolidate power should be de facto allowed to do their things. Like celtic christianity meanwhile there was no formal authority of celtic christianity, this is just how we perceive it, it's just power of pope in Rome just failed to reach there, correct me if I'm wrong.

The boons of religion and culture shouldn't be static. I'm Khan of some nomadic steppe land, I conquered enough and I'm ready to settle down. I need to be fed from a greater civilizational aspect, so that the religion and their adherents culture would help me to settle down and build stuff. Merely adopting coptic christianity shouldn't provide me huge boon if the heritage of coptics and their intellectual centres are dead. Same logic for other aspects of course.

The game has no logic, it's series of railroaded static modifiers. It's like Hearts of Iron IV, you finish a focus and boom you get economic boons and half of Czechoslovakia. Of course since there are no better games for dynastic simulation I have to go with CK3. We desperately need competition for dynastic simulation games otherwise paradox and their retarded game engine will continue to release broken mess with a good paint job.

Last edited:

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Bethesda and Paradox have basically monopolized a subgenre of game, that is only done in their engine. And the engine is shit. And the companies are getting worse at their own subgenre of game.
Pls help.

Üstad

Arcane
Bethesda and Paradox have basically monopolized a subgenre of game, that is only done in their engine. And the engine is shit. And the companies are getting worse at their own subgenre of game.
Pls help.
We'll create games with state sponsorship after we get rid of Erdoğan. So you'll have to excuse us if we make Turks overpowered. You'll have to create Turks bad mod to nerf us which will disable your epic steam achievements. Apparently it's a big fucking deal :shitposting:

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
Pls help.
We'll create games with state sponsorship after we get rid of Erdoğan. So you'll have to excuse us if we make Turks overpowered. You'll have to create Turks bad mod to nerf us which will disable your epic steam achievements. Apparently it's a big fucking deal :shitposting:

Sorry Turks, you'll never beat the Bulgarians as far as ultranationalist mods go.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Grey Eminence was advertised as made by the guys being that autistic EU4 mod with the pops, but looking into it, only 2 out of over a dozen devs are working on it. So my enthusiasm calmed down a bit.
Also it portrays a very long period of time, so the combat mechanics either have to change dramatically over time, or wont fit some settings. Same with admin stuff.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
The problem with Crusader Kings game series it's that just like any other paradox game it's a poor simulation and suffers from bad game logic. Series of static modifiers and events acts as gods touch, trying fix the mess caused by bad game logic.

My subjects should be concerned about my power over them, this would calculated differently according to their personality of course but no such thing. Why am I as a temporal caliph, allowed to divorce or disallow my subjects from divorcing to entire sunni realm? Or why Bulgarians and Serbs can't create their autocephalous churches, seperating themselves from Byzantines? Why can't pagans have proper Popedom where the election of pope is inclusive to entirety to their religious realm? Or concerned about popes keep getting elected from same dynasty and fearful of balance of power? Why can't religions have proper authority modifiers?

Like when the religion is weak, you override some religions rules which creates might make it right situation, which was quite the case for both Islam and Christianity. Like Otto I elected pope arbitrarily and elected priests for church lands in his realm unopposed, atleast tried if I remember it right.

Authority of religion and central church institution would simulate the situation early christianity in Britain well for example. Distant peripheries, especially when the central authority (if any) fails to consolidate power should be de facto allowed to do their things. Like celtic christianity meanwhile there was no formal authority of celtic christianity, this is just how we perceive it, it's just power of pope in Rome just failed to reach there, correct me if I'm wrong.

The boons of religion and culture shouldn't be static. I'm Khan of some nomadic steppe land, I conquered enough and I'm ready to settle down. I need to be fed from a greater civilizational aspect, so that the religion and their adherents culture would help me to settle down and build stuff. Merely adopting coptic christianity shouldn't provide me huge boon if the heritage of coptics and their intellectual centres are dead. Same logic for other aspects of course.

The game has no logic, it's series of railroaded static modifiers. It's like Hearts of Iron IV, you finish a focus and boom you get economic boons and half of Czechoslovakia. Of course since there are no better games for dynastic simulation I have to go with CK3. We desperately need competition for dynastic simulation games otherwise paradox and their retarded game engine will continue to release broken mess with a good paint job.
Grey Eminence isn't really a dynasty game. Star Dynasties, predictable, is, but it isn't historical. Great Houses Of Calderia is vaguely dynasty focused.

However there is only one game that promises to make religion meaningful. And that is obviously Axioms. None of that lame mini stat modifier shit here.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
However there is only one game that promises to make religion meaningful. And that is obviously Axioms. None of that lame mini stat modifier shit here.
Yeah, but it looks like this
128400f1c66e574c95c270a8155c3c1c--piet-mondrian-art-design.jpg

Can't really get immersed in it. Graphics do help.

And that is obviously Axioms. None of that lame mini stat modifier shit here.
I googled axioms game only found game called axiom verge.

Its called Axioms Of Dominion.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
Yeah, but it looks like this
128400f1c66e574c95c270a8155c3c1c--piet-mondrian-art-design.jpg

Can't really get immersed in it. Graphics do help.

And that is obviously Axioms. None of that lame mini stat modifier shit here.
I googled axioms game only found game called axiom verge.

Its called Axioms Of Dominion.

Well as I said 1000x, the graphics stuff is gonna be done last.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
Pls help.

I would add Firaxis here as well, except they seem to be getting some challenge here recently with Humankind and Old World.

Only real dial move I saw recently on the GSG needle was Field of Glory: Empires. That was definitively the GOOD shit. Let's see how Medieval will be.

To be fair to Pdox, their engine is actually good now. The version of Clausewitz used in CKIII is leagues better than the garbage versions from the previous generation. CKII needed multiple patches to stop running like shit and become fast (and is still slower than CKIII), HOI4 is a performance mess, Imperator Rome ran worse than CKIII on my computer, Stellaris is a mess but getting better, EUIV runs decent.

They did a ton for the engine, though mostly modding rather than performance. But my god the actual game is shit.

Camel

Scholar
Last time I played Stellaris, it had an implied GAME OVER after you advance enough, like Dwarf Fortress. At some point the game is so slow, sluggish and prone to crashing, that its basically over and nobody should continue playing after that point is reached.
Stellaris still has that which the fans call an "endgame lag".

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom