Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grand Strategy Crusader Kings III

Last time I played Stellaris, it had an implied GAME OVER after you advance enough, like Dwarf Fortress. At some point the game is so slow, sluggish and prone to crashing, that its basically over and nobody should continue playing after that point is reached.
Stellaris still has that which the fans call an "endgame lag".
CK 3 also has an endgame lag, if you play long enough. Granted that most CK players probably won't reach that point.

Last edited:

Camel

Scholar
CK 3 also has an endgame lag, if you play long enough. Granted that most CK players probably won't reach that point.
So the Paradox programmers/devs from two teams suck at their job. The Stellaris devs tried to fix the endgame lag problem by restricting number of population units up to 1000, so your big/"wide" empire stopped it's population growth at some point which is really retarded. Now you can opt out of the population cap when creating a new game.

Last edited:
So the Paradox programmers/devs from two teams suck at their job. The Stellaris devs tried to fix the endgame lag problem by restricting number of population units up to 1000, so your big/"wide" empire stopped it's population growth at some point which really retarded. Now you can opt out of the population cap when creating a new game.
Yes, they are incapable of designing a system that won't blob the endgame.

I know about the ridiculous Stellaris "fix". It made my favorite strategy of flooding the galaxy with genetically engineered gypsies impossible. Before, I would engineer a race that breeds fast but also has bad traits like tendency to be contrarian, breed them on slave planets and then banish them into other empires.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
So the Paradox programmers/devs from two teams suck at their job. The Stellaris devs tried to fix the endgame lag problem by restricting number of population units up to 1000, so your big/"wide" empire stopped it's population growth at some point which is really retarded. Now you can opt out of the population cap when creating a new game.
CK3 devs can fix endgame lag by properly unloading from memory useless information. The game still stores complete data about dead characters, even though there's no way to revive them, for example.

MuffinBun

Educated
Last time I played Stellaris, it had an implied GAME OVER after you advance enough, like Dwarf Fortress. At some point the game is so slow, sluggish and prone to crashing, that its basically over and nobody should continue playing after that point is reached.
Stellaris still has that which the fans call an "endgame lag".
If you play that long(as I did once), the potential lag, which I've not encountered, is the least of your problems. The 1400+ part of the game is functionally unplayable. Enormous armies, land grabs faster than in HoI4(there's almost as big of a need to form something like 'front lines' from that game as well). There is a huge need for an expansion that would address that, along with scaling down the economy after certain mark. There used to be a renaissance mod but I'm not following that, I've had my fun with this game on release and I'm more likely to replay CK2 tbh. A better game once you look past the graphical side of things, and that excludes the UI ofc, which CK2 does way better. CK3 interface is designed with visual symmetry in mind, and that trumps everything, including even basic playability and ease of use, especially continuous use.

MuffinBun

Educated
Well in that case you're shit out of luck.
I'm not missing out. I talked about *wishing* for Total War-like combat in CK2/3. Obviously, that's not at all possible from Paradox.
You should be wishing for CK-like character complexity and story-creation potential in a Total War game. 3k comes quite close with its character game. A reasonable studio would immediately follow up on that.

The problem with Crusader Kings game series it's that just like any other paradox game it's a poor simulation and suffers from bad game logic. Series of static modifiers and events acts as gods touch, trying fix the mess caused by bad game logic.

My subjects should be concerned about my power over them, this would calculated differently according to their personality of course but no such thing. Why am I as a temporal caliph, allowed to divorce or disallow my subjects from divorcing to entire sunni realm? Or why Bulgarians and Serbs can't create their autocephalous churches, seperating themselves from Byzantines? Why can't pagans have proper Popedom where the election of pope is inclusive to entirety to their religious realm? Or concerned about popes keep getting elected from same dynasty and fearful of balance of power? Why can't religions have proper authority modifiers?

Like when the religion is weak, you override some religions rules which creates might make it right situation, which was quite the case for both Islam and Christianity. Like Otto I elected pope arbitrarily and elected priests for church lands in his realm unopposed, atleast tried if I remember it right.

Authority of religion and central church institution would simulate the situation early christianity in Britain well for example. Distant peripheries, especially when the central authority (if any) fails to consolidate power should be de facto allowed to do their things. Like celtic christianity meanwhile there was no formal authority of celtic christianity, this is just how we perceive it, it's just power of pope in Rome just failed to reach there, correct me if I'm wrong.

The boons of religion and culture shouldn't be static. I'm Khan of some nomadic steppe land, I conquered enough and I'm ready to settle down. I need to be fed from a greater civilizational aspect, so that the religion and their adherents culture would help me to settle down and build stuff. Merely adopting coptic christianity shouldn't provide me huge boon if the heritage of coptics and their intellectual centres are dead. Same logic for other aspects of course.

The game has no logic, it's series of railroaded static modifiers. It's like Hearts of Iron IV, you finish a focus and boom you get economic boons and half of Czechoslovakia. Of course since there are no better games for dynastic simulation I have to go with CK3. We desperately need competition for dynastic simulation games otherwise paradox and their retarded game engine will continue to release broken mess with a good paint job.
:what:
Have we played the same game, Ottoman?

Are subjects not concerned about your power? They very much are. Try to go over the demesne limit or over the duchy limit. There is also the crown authority mechanic which allows you to control your subjects more at the expense of their opinion. Every direct vassal has an individual contract with you that can be tweaked in various ways.

Behaviour of vassals is actually affected by their personality traits. You can bet that ambitious vassals will try to fuck you over. Rebellions upon succesion are a deadly threat early game.

Serbs and Bulgarians can easily create their own churches since the game allows you to create your own religion.

Culture is hardly static since the culture head can change its pillars and ethos, which affect gameplay a lot. You can also diverge from your parent culture and create a new one.

It's not a perfect game and Paradox DLC policy may very well be the most profitable scam since the Holocaust, but we should give credit where it's due.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
Well in that case you're shit out of luck.
I'm not missing out. I talked about *wishing* for Total War-like combat in CK2/3. Obviously, that's not at all possible from Paradox.
You should be wishing for CK-like character complexity and story-creation potential in a Total War game. 3k comes quite close with its character game. A reasonable studio would immediately follow up on that.
Are you high? CK3 character complexity is a joke.

AotSS shits all over it and Axioms, when I finish it, is well ahead of AotSS.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
God just imagine thinking the CK3 character sim is anything but a paper facade over a modifier stacking idle game just like EU4 is. When did the codex let in trash like this.

Also Alliance of the Sacred Suns is playable right now, even if you wanna blab about Axioms being vapourware or w/e. AotSS is published by Hooded Horse, and they ahve demos and betas and shit. You can look it up.

MuffinBun

Educated
When did the codex let in trash like this.
It's nice you took time off writing your ideaguy blogposts to share that thought. I suggest you go back immediately - you're bleeding fans hungry for more Axioms as we speak.

imagine thinking the CK3 character sim is anything but a paper facade over a modifier stacking idle game just like EU4 is
That's an entire different issue. The system itself is more complex than in most tw titles, regardless of whether that complexity influences the game to a satisfactory degree(or whether it is wasted on modifier stacking). 3K has a similar idea but in its case it affects the game in a more elegant and transparent way, as I mention seconds later. But you're free to hang up on a sentence, interpret it in bad faith, create a strawman and then get mad because you supposedly know better, all while promoting your shitty game.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
When did the codex let in trash like this.
It's nice you took time off writing your ideaguy blogposts to share that thought. I suggest you go back immediately - you're bleeding fans hungry for more Axioms as we speak.

imagine thinking the CK3 character sim is anything but a paper facade over a modifier stacking idle game just like EU4 is
That's an entire different issue. The system itself is more complex than in most tw titles, regardless of whether that complexity influences the game to a satisfactory degree(or whether it is wasted on modifier stacking). 3K has a similar idea but in its case it affects the game in a more elegant and transparent way, as I mention seconds later. But you're free to hang up on a sentence, interpret it in bad faith, create a strawman and then get mad because you supposedly know better, all while promoting your shitty game.
I also listed a published game, granted in EA, with a superior system. Of course other parts of AotSS are still needing refinement but it is getting there.

TW arguably had a better system than Clauseqitz games for years until they introduced trust or w/e. TW games had a reliability tracker that Paradox games didn't have.

Someone at Paradox realized that the CK3 team has only released half as much DLC as they were supposed to and figured this was the only way to hit revenue targets I guess?

Lmao, Paradox pulled the same shit years ago in CKII. Same "muh increase in market value" excuse too. Community rebelled, they recanted but in revenge they just decided to cease putting the older DLC on sale for 75% off going forward, which had the same effect as a price hike because you'd have to be retarded to ever pay full price for Paradox DLC. I doubt their paypigs have the fight in them this time to even get them to cave again.

thesecret1

Arcane
I pity the modders that jumped on the bandwagon for CK3. Must be hard to make a good mod when the base is dogshit

gerey

Arcane
Zionist Agent
The reason CKIII feels like a hollow game that is taking forever to get new features... is because it IS a hollow game taking forever to get new features.
Question is, why?

I'm no expert on Paracuck, but my impression is that CK is their flagship franchise, the one that has the broadest appeal and popularity. Why are they unable to patch and churn out content for, arguably, their biggest new release?

Why did they leave CKIII to rot? If what that forum poster said, Paracuck is bigger now than it was when CKII released, and outside of Victoria 3 they don't have any other big project they're working on (I am operating under the assumption that patches and DLC for their other titles do not require large teams).

thesecret1

Arcane
Yeah, I don't get it either. It's not like the base game being shit has ever stopped them from churning out content anyway, and while they did say they're moving away from jewing you in 100+ DLCs, letting their flagship title (in fact, THE flagship title, given that Crusader Kings is their perhaps most successful franchise) lay about is puzzling to say the least.

As of right now their flagship is actually Stellaris imo. Much more freedom to take it in any direction they want resulting in roughly two DLC per year since 2016. It seems clear to me after spending so much time fleshing out CKII that their hearts aren't in it anymore and they should have opted for a much, much longer interim between the end of development of CKII and the release III. If this is as I suspect I wouldn't blame them. Essentially they're spending most of their time reiterating old systems and features trying to meet the minimum expectation of filling Dad's shoes rather than designing new ones. Add on to that the internal demoralization they've no doubt suffered since they cucked to social activism and it isn't any wonder why they aren't champing at the bit to release Crusading content when the phrase Deus Vult (so I've heard) has become all but verbotten in the company. What exactly is there to be excited for? There's also the utter failure of Imperator to take into account which is another blow to morale. It's quite clear to me two years on from launch that CKIII never lived up and will never live up to its predecessor, the buzz around it didn't last past a month or so.

I found CKII and learned to play it almost solely due to Arumba's YouTube channel back in 2013 or so. For those who are unaware, he was one of their biggest fans and his channel was more or less dedicated to their games. It's my understanding Paradox basically disavowed him in some way, snubbing him from further invitations to their conventions after saying "remove kebab" on stream or some shit. They seem utterly ignorant or indifferent to all the meme culture that had built around the cultural idiosyncrasies of these games. This ribbing was never even malicious. It's no wonder there is no buzz when these soy-swillers happily alienate their core audience and largest promoters to please whiners.

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
HOI4: Not just long in the tooth, its clearly an optimization disaster and staffed by a skeleton crew. Also becoming a borderline meme game. Good modding tho.

HOI4 has been most played of their games since 2018, but for some reason, as you say feels like it has had a skeleton crew/interns working on it, glacial pacing for DLC. Utterly bizarre strategy by Paradox for what they focus on. Feels very corporate style, shovel all money into new products and milk the actually successful ones while giving them minimum viable support.

I wish there was a single good competitor for Paradox as I hate this company more and more over time and the direction they are going with their games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom