Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grand Strategy Crusader Kings III

Vatnik Wumao
See above, Fallen Eagle.
Well I see the bookmarks, and some of them look cool as fuck, but that doesn't say much about what the mod actually brings to the table.
https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=2243307127
  • Playable Bookmarks for the years 361, 395, and 476 AD
  • A detailed political and cultural layout of Europe, Africa, and Asia during the Early Medieval Era
  • Unique and playable historical figures, including Flavius Stilicho, Alaric, Odoacer, Romulus Augustulus, and many others
  • A unique interface and GUI
  • A complete soundtrack composed by George Hammond
  • Immersive cultures, religions, governments, and mechanics
  • Detailed 3D Assets (clothing, armor, and headgear) made by ツALU, Atreides, and Celticus

Deadyawn

Learned
Reminder that by this point in time ck2 had released expansions for muslims, republics and vikings and was about to release one for india. All with new mechanics that differentiated them from european feudal lords besides new text events.

It's frankly embarrassing.

Reminder that by this point in time ck2 had released expansions for muslims, republics and vikings and was about to release one for india. All with new mechanics that differentiated them from european feudal lords besides new text events.

It is kind of funny that India was the point where a lot of people said CK2 had already peaked and was getting bloated with excess mechanics that weren't important to the core gameplay. Meanwhile CK3 has received... fuckall, I think is the correct way to put it?

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
India *was* massive bloat. At least they stopped before China. Whereas CK3 plans to add China. Like the game already runs like shit and the characters are already interchangeable and forgettable and they want to cram even more in, taking performance budget away from potential mechanical improvements and superior NPC think time.

Ehh, on release the india expansion might have been a bit laggy if you had a really slow computer but nowadays CK2 runs fine. If you run at max speed its the million of unskippable events that overwhelm you, game being slow is not a problem.

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
It took them a while to fix the performance after India and no matter what it adds nothing to the game. Same with West Africa in CK3.

It took them a while to fix the performance after India and no matter what it adds nothing to the game. Same with West Africa in CK3.
It gives a counterweight to the Muzzies and something for them to waste their manpower invading. Though that's not really relevant nowadays since the latest update vastly overpowered Catholics and their crusades.

Hace El Oso

Arcane
Patron
It gives a counterweight to the Muzzies and something for them to waste their manpower invading. Though that's not really relevant nowadays since the latest update vastly overpowered Catholics and their crusades.

A hell of a 'solution' to over-representation of the Muslim world.

Vatnik Wumao
And I liked West Africa because it vastly improved African playthroughs, especially after they added Lake Chad and made it possible to traverse Africa East to West.
My issue with it is that it has waaay too many counties. I'd rather they had spent that computing power on implementing a bigger chunk of Indochina since the way the border currently cuts off at the Pagan Kingdom is retarded. And just like there's no need to add maritime SEA since trader interactions could be simulated through occasional events if need be, same shit applies to trans-saharan trade. Having Africa just be from the Maghreb to Levantine Africa (Egypt & co.) to the Horn of Africa (Ethiopia & co.) is the most sensible approach.

dsndo

Educated
Players asked for more things to do in peacetime and they gave us an elaborate party planning DLC. I don't want to sound needlessly sexist here but every design choice post launch seems like it was made by a woman that wishes she was working on Sims expansions.

Players asked for more things to do in peacetime and they gave us an elaborate party planning DLC. I don't want to sound needlessly sexist here but every design choice post launch seems like it was made by a woman that wishes she was working on Sims expansions.
I think you're onto something here...

Also, you must be new, sexism here is not only allowed and accepted, but tolerated and incentivized.
Unleash your true power level.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
Planning grand social events was a crucial part of historical elite life. The way they did it is a bit limited of course, and you might argue that priority wise it is more of a tier 2 thing, but it does make sense. And it connects to their core "travel" feature. I of course prefer my own version of "Social Occasions" but their version is a solid 6/10.

However you are correct in some sense. Paradox is putting out a product to compete with The Sims 4 called, hideously, "Life By You". Additionally CK3 drew in many women who explicitly mentioned The Sims: Medieval as a point of comparison. And they are also pushing a Sims 4 style content pipeline for DLCs to make that Sims 4 cash. The Sims is arguably one of the few series with a more insane DLC policy than what Paradox puts out. A majority of PDox streamers who are women stream Sims 4 also, including prominent ones. There's definitely something going on.

I think you'd have more credibility if you specified which things you think should come before travel/events, though.

dsndo

Educated
Planning grand social events was a crucial part of historical elite life. The way they did it is a bit limited of course, and you might argue that priority wise it is more of a tier 2 thing, but it does make sense. And it connects to their core "travel" feature. I of course prefer my own version of "Social Occasions" but their version is a solid 6/10.

However you are correct in some sense. Paradox is putting out a product to compete with The Sims 4 called, hideously, "Life By You". Additionally CK3 drew in many women who explicitly mentioned The Sims: Medieval as a point of comparison. And they are also pushing a Sims 4 style content pipeline for DLCs to make that Sims 4 cash. The Sims is arguably one of the few series with a more insane DLC policy than what Paradox puts out. A majority of PDox streamers who are women stream Sims 4 also, including prominent ones. There's definitely something going on.

I think you'd have more credibility if you specified which things you think should come before travel/events, though.
We're more than 2 years into post-launch support and crusades are completely broken. There has been more thought put into planning weddings and going on roadtrips than the titular activity of the game. The pope is less relevant than your lowest vassal and serves only to act as a cheap piggybank. All of these points have already been discussed to death in this thread so I'm only interested in cheap mockery at this point until the devs show me something more inspired. I don't know how they have the nerve to bring up new armour skins as a selling point for this DLC when there are 2 mods that have already delivered the playerbase 15x the value in cosmetics for free.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer

We're more than 2 years into post-launch support and crusades are completely broken. There has been more thought put into planning weddings and going on roadtrips than the titular activity of the game. The pope is less relevant than your lowest vassal and serves only to act as a cheap piggybank. All of these points have already been discussed to death in this thread so I'm only interested in cheap mockery at this point until the devs show me something more inspired. I don't know how they have the nerve to bring up new armour skins as a selling point for this DLC when there are 2 mods that have already delivered the playerbase 15x the value in cosmetics for free.
Okay well those are all 100% legit points, can't criticise your criticism at all. I can say that they are going to use the travel mechanics to re-write the crusade system but it doesn't address their stupid horse armor DLC or fix the Pope problems. Mods of course *did* fix the Pope problems mostly but that doesn't absolve Paradox.

Tons of women love CK, both my sister and a girl I dated played CK2.

Thing is, there's nothing overtly wrong about the DLCs they are putting out. It's just that this stuff would be the small bite-sized DLCs that are mostly cosmetic and come in between the meaty DLCs that add big gameplay changes.

LizardWizard

Prophet

It's frankly embarrassing.

Sounds like recency bias as CK2 launched way more barebones than CK3. It was actually a dumbed down CK1 with holdings.

Republics were cool for OP vassals, but the truth was nobody actually played them (confirmed by Doomdark lead Dev on CK2). Aztecs and India actively made the game worse.

As mentioned above, it took them 5 years (Reapers Due) to fix performance, which originated from CK2's spaghetti code. Also beta testers wrote the majority of the CK2 history files :-D

Republics are still unfortunately pretty buggy. There's also a lack of interesting interaction with republics if you play a monarchy. Something that CK3 should have improved on.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom