Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grand Strategy Crusader Kings III

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
The DLC seems to have gone over well thus far.
This DLC is easily vastly superior conceptually to Royal Court. Should have been base game and not another $30, but PDox players have low standards and fat wallets.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
It still doesn't add any differentiation to the world.
Fairly certain a lot of cultures outside of Europe didn't have tours or tournaments anyway.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
The specific mechanics and UI design is insanely close to what I described 2ish years ago in my Axioms design blog. I was watching a video by One Proud Bavarian and I was shocked how similar it was. I guess I'm just glad I put out that post so I have evidence I didn't rip them off when the fanboys come for me.

Obligatory "If Axioms ever even releases" so Fedora master doesn't strain a jaw muscle.

dsndo

Educated
The specific mechanics and UI design is insanely close to what I described 2ish years ago in my Axioms design blog. I was watching a video by One Proud Bavarian and I was shocked how similar it was. I guess I'm just glad I put out that post so I have evidence I didn't rip them off when the fanboys come for me.

Obligatory "If Axioms ever even releases" so Fedora master doesn't strain a jaw muscle.
Paradox has agents on this board scouring your posts for inspiration. :obviously:

Axioms

Arcane
Developer

Paradox has agents on this board scouring your posts for inspiration. :obviously:
I mean they do end up doing lots of stuff I came up with for Axioms a year or so before they added them, like Secrets. But probably just a coincidence.

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Players asked for more things to do in peacetime and they gave us an elaborate party planning DLC. I don't want to sound needlessly sexist here but every design choice post launch seems like it was made by a woman that wishes she was working on Sims expansions.
I think you're onto something here...

Also, you must be new, sexism here is not only allowed and accepted, but tolerated and incentivized.
Unleash your true power level.
Sexism is TRUTH. Not even 1% kidding. Games were best when made by heterosexual, white, sexist gentlemen
rating_prestigious.png

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
This DLC is a total shitshow. Oh your wife comes to events even though she is your regent? Well, woops, must have missed a check. Oh, your brother comes to a tournament, fucking fights in it, and was set as your regent? Well that's weird. Nah bro it ain't weird your QA is trash.

deuxhero

Arcane
Republics were great fun in CK2. China and Subsaharan Africa should never have been added.
Nah, adding Subsaharian Africa was great. We got african paganism, more gameplay for Ethiopia and a generally far better Africa map, one which actually matters and ties to the Middle East well.

Also China since Jade Dragon really made the east far more interesting, especially in the earlier start dates. Before it, the East was a Muslim stomp 9/10.
Since then, it became a big China vs Muslims vs Hindus vs Tibetans vs Nomads vs Zoroastrians moshpit and its glorious.
Is CK3's fanmade Asia Expansion (Project) any good? Might grab game eventually if it ever hits sub 40 with all the relevant DLC (doubtful any time soon)

IMPERIVM RECTVM

Literate
Republics were great fun in CK2. China and Subsaharan Africa should never have been added.
Nah, adding Subsaharian Africa was great. We got african paganism, more gameplay for Ethiopia and a generally far better Africa map, one which actually matters and ties to the Middle East well.

Also China since Jade Dragon really made the east far more interesting, especially in the earlier start dates. Before it, the East was a Muslim stomp 9/10.
Since then, it became a big China vs Muslims vs Hindus vs Tibetans vs Nomads vs Zoroastrians moshpit and its glorious.
East africa being part of the game was the right choice but western subsaharan africa shouldn't have part of the game, like Tibet. And India should have only added after they fixed spagetti coding and fix the fundamentals of the game, such as army composition erraticly affecting the war. It was a stupid system and never fixed.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
The more parts of the map you add the worse the performance gets by a mile. So I guess most people care more about adding their favorite landmass than improving gameplay, as far as spending the performance budget of the game.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'm waiting for 75% off on base game and expansions. My will is strong, and if it's not 75% soon then I'll just wait for the inevitable CK4.

you have my terms paradox. Also, put the stellaris expansions 50% off and I'll buy them.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
Been posting in a more measured way on the CK3 steam forums and getting lots of my posts criticizing the lack of real social simulation set as "answers" by OPs. Glorious.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
I think the best way to explain CK3 is that it is a giant D&D splatbook. It has detailed history and important characters, and some basic simple rules and a combat system that is a bit too fleshed out compared to the rest of the game. So basically a clone of how D&D works. The problem is that when you play it you are both the GM and the singular party member. People who love D&D type stuff are fine with this, it also explains the popularity of multiplayer. So many CK3 streamers are literally part of D&D group streams like Critical Role or Dimension 20 with with crappier minis and less talent. Lots of them have regular streams of their games. Of course they love CK3. The memeyness is even quite at home for the theatre kids version of D&D popularized by 5E and people like Matt Mercer.

Meanwhile the people who have problems with CK3 was an actual world simulation that creates interesting and varied stories on its own, isn't heavily improved by having multiple humans who engage in socializing, diplomacy, and intrigue outside the game mechanics, and provides actual social, political, and diplomatic simulations plus intrigue that can do long running and impactful stuff. CK3 devs who often play tons of multiplayer and many of whom are drawn from the "community" of Paradox fans are of course pushing much harder towards the D&D model. That is also their obsession with "flavor packs" and other stuff that are just extra splat books.

I don't want to be my own DM. I want to be the player. Now obviously there is a loss from having a DM, or a book author, writing a directed story, vs what you can have in a sandbox. But I also think that no one has meaningfully pushed the limits of the things you can do in a sandbox.

CK3 went hard in the D&D and being your own DM route instead of even trying to make a sandbox that creates stories itself.

I want a game where if you recorded what happened in the game you could at least a output Primary Chronicle or Record Of The Three Kingdoms(as distinct from the more well known Romance version) by writing down the events. A dry-ish history book style accounting? Sure. But it could record the nature of the important characters and you could differentiate them and then the actions recorded would be in line with their natures.

Last edited:

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
So how is the new expansion going? The reviews seem great
Reviews are a bit useless because you only get them from people who are already happy with the game. Most people who are unhappy aren't dropping that much money until the game gets patched and the mods are updated.

There are a shocking number of bugs in the current version even after a couple patches, and the balance is ridiculous.

Of course if CK3 was working for you prior to the new DLC I'd say you'd probably consider it an improvement afterwards, and may or may not think the cost is worth it.

Reina

Arcane

I didn't play it yet, but according to my hubby, who's die-hard Paradox fan: T&T is way better than Royal Court, there are no visible bugs and regencies/character location (traveiling) changes are neat. The only con: the activities are a bit more cumbersome to use and events start to repeat themselves quickly.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer

I didn't play it yet, but according to my hubby, who's die-hard Paradox fan: T&T is way better than Royal Court, there are no visible bugs and regencies/character location (traveiling) changes are neat. The only con: the activities are a bit more cumbersome to use and events start to repeat themselves quickly.
Also your regent is always traveling with you to events lmao.

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin

In the latest Patch notes as fixed.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer

In the latest Patch notes as fixed.
Like today patch notes? Seen lots of reports in the last 2-3 days.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
Paradox simps just don't have many options for comparable games, so I do feel bad for them, especially since their behavior as far as "brand loyalty" makes it less likely that any competitor games would be made.

At least T&T was half-decent, compared to their other shit DLC.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom