Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grand Strategy Crusader Kings III

I doubt they'll make CK3 anytime soon, their current self-described "longline fishing" release model instead of a sequel-based model has proven extremely lucrative, so I doubt they'll change that.

As for Warhammer and such, the best way to play that is the Geheimnisnacht mod for CK2 (also why Pdox has no reason to pay for licensing that).

Agreed.

I feel like CKII has at least one or two DLCs as space for improvement.

That said, I think CKII is already showing its age and decisions taken at its beginning are already limiting them. For example, they can't despict vassals with more than one overlord or someone who is an independent ruler AND a vassal - for example, the King of England and Duke of Normandy, who as Duke of Normandy, was legally a french vassal. They can't properly make Carolinglean government work. They can't implement naval combat. Also with a proper CKIII they can simply take the current features spread across multiple DLC and integrate them better to each other.

I think we will see a CKIII somewhere between 2021-24. We will probably see Victoria 3 first.
Backlash against mana-based gameplay in Imperator was best thing to happen to a future CKIII.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
The current state covers the situation with the duchy of Normandy just about well as you could, because fact was that the only time the French crown had any say in the duchy after William the Conqueror was when the French invaded it. There is really no mechanical distinction that would be worthwhile beyond de jure as it is now, and it's one of the times where de jure actually works in a way that isn't arbitrary historical determinism. Any attempts to do anything else with it would be just either pointless window-dressing or inanity.

Limitations of handling a decentralized confederation of kingdoms like Carolingian Empire and the Holy Roman Empire is more than anything a matter of logistics due to character focus. There's not really much that can be done within person-based diplomacy compared to the more rigid and abstract diplomacy of EU, where there is a HRE mechanism (CK2 would have far more participants too). More than likely any additional mechanics like that would either make HRE into a no-go zone, make HRE free pickings, and/or cause endless chaotic busywork without any benefit. The real issue is not this, but that CK2 is terrible at handling and reigning in blobbing and snowballing because its levy system and economy are shiiiiiiiiiit.

Also CK2 has the best Pdox naval combat because it has no Pdox naval combat.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
The current state covers the situation with the duchy of Normandy just about well as you could, because fact was that the only time the French crown had any say in the duchy after William the Conqueror was when the French invaded it. There is really no mechanical distinction that would be worthwhile beyond de jure as it is now, and it's one of the times where de jure actually works in a way that isn't arbitrary historical determinism. Any attempts to do anything else with it would be just either pointless window-dressing or inanity.

Limitations of handling a decentralized confederation of kingdoms like Carolingian Empire and the Holy Roman Empire is more than anything a matter of logistics due to character focus. There's not really much that can be done within person-based diplomacy compared to the more rigid and abstract diplomacy of EU, where there is a HRE mechanism (CK2 would have far more participants too). More than likely any additional mechanics like that would either make HRE into a no-go zone, make HRE free pickings, and/or cause endless chaotic busywork without any benefit. The real issue is not this, but that CK2 is terrible at handling and reigning in blobbing and snowballing because its levy system and economy are shiiiiiiiiiit.

Also CK2 has the best Pdox naval combat because it has no Pdox naval combat.
This is totally wrong. You could make a system that could handle the HRE and similar states better. It would just require a much more deep interaction system and Johan hates that stuff. The cost for variability and historicality is complexity. You also get depth but the complexity limits the user base.

Mortmal

Arcane
Fantasy CK2 would be the only thing i'd be interested in if its not victoria 3.

CK2 but Vampire the Masquerade. Add all the tranny muslim jihadist rebels you want. I can mod that shit out myself. CK2 but designed from the ground up with Vampire and fantasy mechanics in mind. Get it done Paradox.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
I would welcome some fantasy game, but only if that is not a cancerous Majsestry setting. Cold War is way too hard to implement to be at least somewhat realisting even as alt-history thing.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I would welcome some fantasy game, but only if that is not a cancerous Majsestry setting. Cold War is way too hard to implement to be at least somewhat realisting even as alt-history thing.

The now-former CEO of Paradox mentioned the idea of a grand strategy game based on Tyranny a couple of years ago. That could be a cool concept.

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane
They should stick to history themed games and make a new grand strategy game where you play as a random Middle Eastern country that gets to invade Sweden, rape all their women, and turn the remaining free citizenry into egg shaped soy merchants who pass out FREE SYRIA! pamphlets on the shores of the lands their fathers conquered.

And just for shits and giggles, make it an EPIC exclusive.

LizardWizard

Cipher
I'm predicting Vicky 3 then CK3

King/Wiz working Vicky

Hopefully Johan is put out to pasture before he ruins another a game. I'm optimistic for CK3 considering Holy Fury, the free patches and CK2 abandoning those shitty content packs unlike EU4

Mortmal

Arcane
Fantasy CK2 would be the only thing i'd be interested in if its not victoria 3.

There are fantasy mods for CK2 that would still be better than whatever Paradox excretes from its DLC-infested belly.
yes even loverlabs guys made some, but there's some limit to modding. There's room for lot of improvement, magic ,skill lines etc.. Not that i really expect paradox to do it.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Putting a woman in charge of a strategy game will be a disaster.

Swedish no less

qs40t6uxlxvppjha8bvl.jpg

:dead:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom