Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grand Strategy Crusader Kings III

Vatnik Wumao
And a link to the written Kotaku review.

TL;DR of the review using its own words: "I would recommend Crusader Kings III to Crusader Kings II fans, obviously. But also to Civilization and Total War fans. To people who play The Sims. Or visual novels. Or Bioware RPGS. That’s testament to how wild and untamed this game’s scope it, but also how successful it is in delivering on the promise of wrapping it all up into a single cohesive offering."

Vatnik Wumao
And the Rock Paper Shotgun written review.

TL;DR - "I like it a lot. I think there are some awkwardnesses still to be ironed out, but they’re offset by a strong suite of new ideas. I saw what might have resolved into the edges of CK3’s potential a little earlier than I wanted to, in a game of such colossal scope. But I also saw a much stronger starting point for growth than CK2 represented in 2012. It’s less overwrought than its predecessor, and certainly less mentally draining to play. But this felt more like the result of smart design choices than oversimplification. Tonally, it’s in just the same, marvellously dark spot. All in all, and as boring as it is to say, I think Crusader Kings 3 is a lot like Crusader Kings 2, but newer and tidier. And I’m very content with that indeed."

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
I also saw a much stronger starting point for growth than CK2 represented in 2012.
Yeah, my issue with paradox latest releases is that they still haven't delivered, starting with EU4.

Paradox games are the perfect illustration of why release-day-ponctual-reviews are pretty much obsolete too.

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
I still can't understand why anyone would want to play a medieval game but at the condition that it's all gay.
It's not all gay, but mostly gay. You could play as hetero minority and try to lynch as many fags as possible. Fight against state enforced homosexuality :M

Hellion

Arcane
Even in the mail they sent me to provide the review code, they stated that "certain media and paid promotions are exempt from the official embargo conditions". They don't really hide the fact that they paid certain people to promote the game.

It's genuinely good, though. I'll upload an english translation of my review later.

thesecret1

Arcane
Yeah, my issue with paradox latest releases is that they still haven't delivered, starting with EU4.

Paradox games are the perfect illustration of why release-day-ponctual-reviews are pretty much obsolete too.
It's because Paradox is obsessed with content bloat rather than fixing its mechanics or adding actual, worthwhile content. Instead of adding flavour that would make playing Ireland different from playing fucking Russia, they just add India, and have it play much the same as Germany. Instead of fixing their braindead AI, they add the devil child chain. To this day, years after release of that DLC, merchant republics suffer from gamebreaking bugs that make them near unplayable for a prolonged amount of time, and Paradox knows about it – I even found the fucking issue tickets for some of them – yet they happily ignore it in favour of adding more bloat.

Vatnik Wumao
PC Gamer written review.

TL;DR - "Crusader Kings 3 is always in motion, always jumping to new stories, so it never lets you get too settled. But it also never ventures far out of its comfort zone. Paradox hasn't taken it in a different direction or made changes that will elicit any gasps. The stuff that made Crusader Kings 2 so enduring has been pushed to the front even more, while some of the bloat that accumulated over the better part of a decade has been chipped away. It's a very sensible sequel."

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
I still can't understand why anyone would want to play a medieval game but at the condition that it's all gay.

I can't wrap my head around that. Are we living the most absurd era of the time of man ? How ironic considering all the rational thinking and machinery at our disposal.

It's Paradox themselves. The woke message of "normalising homosexuality" outweighs any gameplay or historicity concerns.

Vatnik Wumao

I can't wrap my head around that. Are we living the most absurd era of the time of man ? How ironic considering all the rational thinking and machinery at our disposal.

It's Paradox themselves. The woke message of "normalising homosexuality" outweighs any gameplay or historicity concerns.
It's an optional rule, turned off by default, which disables iron man achievements, so yeah nah. It's clearly pandering, but it does not negatively impact the game in any way.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy

It's an optional rule, turned off by default, which disables iron man achievements, so yeah nah. It's clearly pandering, but it does not negatively impact the game in any way.

We will see how they handle the trait in the real game soon enough. I doubt it'll have any noticeable repercussions for being openly gay.

Vatnik Wumao

We will see how they handle the trait in the real game soon enough. I doubt it'll have any noticeable repercussions for being openly gay.
It's tied to the religious system. Depending on one's faith, homosexuality can be either criminalized, shunned or kosher.

Preben

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine

For the same reason why people played CK2 to castrate the Caliph, blind Charlemagne or to Deus Vult all the way to India..

For shit and giggles. It's a video game.

Vatnik Wumao
Also, VG24/7 review.

TL;DR - "All in, Crusader Kings 3 is my Game of the Year so far. If you’re looking for a new strategy title with some RPG flair that will suck you in for 500 hours or more during this endless lockdown, then it should be on your wishlist already."
Will read it right now. :salute:

By the way, in case you are allowed, could you post screenshots of all the religious doctrines available in the game?

For the same reason why people played CK2 to castrate the Caliph, blind Charlemagne or to Deus Vult all the way to India..

For shit and giggles. It's a video game.

There's a difference between a game goal and completely redefining the whole game through a setup option.

It'd be like if there was a "kill all the muslims lolol xd" option in the settings that banned those religions from existing and turned the middle east into a wasteland. You're supposed to need to work to accomplish that.

Last edited:

Mortmal

Arcane
Gamepass is the most well spent 1 euro in my life i think. By the time the major dlc come out the game will be discounted.

Hellion

Arcane
By the way, in case you are allowed, could you post screenshots of all the religious doctrines available in the game?

There's a lot of them, so posting screenshots of all their individual descriptions would take forever, but here are their titles at least.

jQLHRgf.jpg

Hzlj8xc.jpg

XcfHr0G.jpg

WGTmBVK.jpg

Each religion can have up to 3 Tenets, then as you can see you can specify their Main, Marriage, Crime and Clergy Doctrines.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom