Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Crysis 1, new and improved, now on XBOX and PS3!!!

baronjohn

Cipher
I wish I was kidding: http://www.gametrailers.com/video/debut ... sis/720428

Here's a quick comparison:

PCPLZ.jpg

Cassidy

Arcane
:roll:

As if graphics were the reason why consoles began bringing decline since Xbawks or mattered more than any other aspect for the enjoyment of a game.

Satan

Educated
DarthBehemoth said:
Crysis required a NASA computer to run it at the time of release, how are they possibly gonna do this on the consoles?

I run it fine on High on my laptop for 3500 PLN (less than 1000€). Sure, it was expensive, but it is no way NASA computer... and it's a laptop. For the same price you'd probably run Crisis on max on a desktop at the time.

MCA
I played Crysis on a socket 478 P4 with an AGP video card at medium settings with a few options set to high with average FPS of 40. I mean, FFS. IF you're gonna blow some shit out of proportions, do it with style.

Renegen

Arcane
Cassidy said:
:roll:

As if graphics were the reason why consoles began bringing decline since Xbawks or mattered more than any other aspect for the enjoyment of a game.

Graphics were a reason why games were designed for PC first, and thus adopted for PC tastes. A lot of games were made for the PC only in mind and then ported over to consoles. Ah, paradise.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
baronjohn said:
I wish I was kidding: http://www.gametrailers.com/video/debut ... sis/720428

Here's a quick comparison:

PCPLZ.jpg
They made all the vegetation disappear just to accomodate it on the consoles.

I remember the shock that I had when I played Oblivion on a super outdated computer. I expected lush greenery like the screenshots. Instead, I walked out into a dusty looking desert out of the sewer. The mountains looked like the kind you see in Afghanistan or Peru.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Maps will most likely be butchered as well. Although if they will cut on graphics like in that screenshot maybe, just maybe 384 MBs will be barely enough.

Also flying aliens will either be cut out or slowed down a lot since it is impossible to have a 3D shooter on consoles and now imagine some small fuck flying around you, constantly changing height.

Consoletards will cry a lot.

Satan

Educated
Morgoth said:
Looks shit on both screenshots.

I never found anything artistically outstanding in the first Crysis anyway. It's all brown and green poo.

That's because you are edgy and hardcore.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Yup, this follows the same definition of improved as the rest of the games industry.

Peter

Arcane
I agree with Morgoth. Crysis is impressive technically, but graphics fidelity alone won't get you anywhere. The whole game was just really bland.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Doesn't look too bad, though it's obvious they've made a few cuts. Crysis was a decent game so at least it's nice to see it show up on other platforms for people to play, even if it's inevitably not going to be as good. I'm just glad they're porting this way and not the other way around...

Micmu

Magister
Peter said:
I agree with Morgoth. Crysis is impressive technically, but graphics fidelity alone won't get you anywhere. The whole game was just really bland.
I agree, too.
Being a few hours long zero replay value totally generic shooter is what killed it for me.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
micmu said:
Peter said:
I agree, too.
Being a few hours long zero replay value totally generic shooter is what killed it for me.
While the setting and whatnot are generic, I've never understood the complaints about stale gameplay. Crysis has large and open levels that allow you to approach objectives from multiple angles, it facilitates multiple play-styles at vastly different ranges, with different levels of challenge, it has more environmental destruction and interactivity than any shooter of its time (smashing cars through buildings to kill the dudes inside? throwing guys off cliffs? shooting a tree and watching it fall over and crush someone?), it's got optional vehicle sections that still allow for viable on-foot progression, and has a good deal of variety in terms of level design (dense jungles, open military bases, villages, caves, mines, frozen jungles, the alien tunnels, etc.). The only real issue was the crap story and bland characters, plus the final 1/3 of the game switching into Linear Mode, but otherwise I fail to see any major problems with it that other shooters of its type do better.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
micmu said:
Do yourself a huge favor and play Far Cry.
Already done, thanks. Far Cry is basically identical, except it lacks the selection of vehicles, the sci-fi elements are goofier, and the main character's voice is so annoying it literally made me cut my own toes off in disgust. Level design in Far Cry is maybe a tad more adventurous, but pretty much everything it does, Crysis does better. Or do you have some more specific examples to call out?

Achilles

Arcane
DarthBehemoth said:
Crysis required a NASA computer to run it at the time of release, how are they possibly gonna do this on the consoles?

Massively reduced effects, low-ass resolution. Crysis could run on a P4 with a 7600gt on low/medium settings so it's not that much of a stretch.

I look forward to playing Crysis on a true next gen gaming system, like it was meant to be. :smug:

Crysis looked great and performed very well. Never understood the bitching about it being slow, unless you are determined to run every game at multi-monitor resolution and 16x AA there were never any problems. Hell, I'm still running a video card that was "outdated" by the time Crysis came out and its perfectly playable at near-max settings.

Also Crysis had great gameplay before the aliens showed up. Just like Far Cry, actually.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom