Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cyberpunk 2077 Pre-Re-Announcement Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I keep waiting to see how they are going to develop this game (in one of my FAVORITE settings, AND I have all the books too). DON'T FUCK THIS UP.... :M (But I know you will, and make this for casuals.... because that is where the money is.....)

I keep waiting to see how they are going to develop this game (in one of my FAVORITE settings, AND I have all the books too). DON'T FUCK THIS UP.... :M (But I know you will, and make this for casuals.... because that is where the money is.....)
gv06HXi.jpg

Executr

Cipher
Cyberpunk 2077 likely out before 2019
It's looking likely that CD Projekt's big sci-fi RPG, Cyberpunk 2077, will release some time in 2018, according to some information on the studio's Polish investor forums.

CD Projekt have already said they're planning to release two triple-A RPGs between 2016-2021, and now they've confirmed on the forums that Cyberpunk 2077 will be the first to come out, which makes sense, since it's the only one they've released any information on.

The studio also said that work won't begin on the second RPG until they've wrapped up Cyberpunk.

Now, The Witcher 3 took three-and-a-half years to develop, so chances are development time will be similar for both Cyberpunk and the unannounced game. Work on upgrading their game engine for Cyberpunk began around the release of The Witcher 3, so we're probably looking at the sci-fi RPG coming up to the halfway point in its development.

Furthermore, if we assume the same timeframe for the second unannounced RPG, that would put that game's development start date at mid-2018. It all lines up just right for Cyberpunk to release around then.

Other than all this lot, CD Projekt have also revealed that they have no interest in publishing third-party games, unlike like another local studio, Techland. CD Projekt say this is because they want ownership over the products they release - the titles that represent them as a company.

"At this moment we have no plans to publish third-party titles," say CD Projekt. "Our reputation, as a company that self-publishes its own games, is closely tied to the quality of our titles, that we can only vouch for when we're the ones who produce them.

"We're going to concentrate on what we do best, which in CD Projekt Red's case is making the best games in the world, which will steal hearts of millions of players around the world. According to our strategy, our goal is to also expand our brands to other media and products."

Source: http://www.pcgamesn.com/cyberpunk-2077/cyberpunk-2077-release-date

Nothing unexpected, really.
But LOL at the Techland part.

Fry

Arcane
Given that the parent company owns a popular digital distribution platform, in a way they already are publishing 3rd party games.

Perkel

Arcane
Given that the parent company owns a popular digital distribution platform, in a way they already are publishing 3rd party games.

What they mean by that comment is that they don't want to pay for third party developement. Like Paradox is paying money to Obsidian to make Tyrrany.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron

I wonder if that income revenue from GOG is one of the reasons how CDPR keeps its share holders in check. Iwinski went on to say [in interviews] they're reasonable and clearly understand what kind of long-term operation they're supporting if they throw their lot with CDPR, but you have to wonder how long that's going to last. After all, managements change.

pippin

I'll guess I'll upgrade my computer to be able to play tiwtcher 3 on ultra/max and cyberpunk '77 on mid to low settings

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
the only way this game will be good is in the art direction department. don't expect something more complex than witcher 3 regarding game mechanics.
it will be just another 3rd person shooter where you push a button and something dies.
but at least maybe they will come with something original regarding multiplayer like Dark Souls did.
also dont't expect this game in 2018, maybe 2019.
wither 3 was delayed half a year for polish and this game wants do be more than wide areas peppered with trees, caves and small towns.
seeing Novigrad and how complex the architecture was and how large it was was pretty impressive and I think they aim to have something 10 times this city size in cyberpunk 2077 but even that will feel small if they don't come put with some filler too because everybody expects a massive open world.
also the promises regarding languages and how you have to learn a specific language before talking to a NPC makes their work even harder.
also cars... do they want to jump in the GTA bandwagon? this is fuckin stupid. but at least maybe they will come up with flying cars like in Blade Runner where you must drive on lanes in the sky
to do this game right you need 400 millions USD easily and lots and lots of time

Fry

Arcane
the only way this game will be good is in the art direction department. don't expect something more complex than witcher 3 regarding game mechanics.
it will be just another 3rd person shooter where you push a button and something dies.
but at least maybe they will come with something original regarding multiplayer like Dark Souls did.
also dont't expect this game in 2018, maybe 2019.
wither 3 was delayed half a year for polish and this game wants do be more than wide areas peppered with trees, caves and small towns.
seeing Novigrad and how complex the architecture was and how large it was was pretty impressive and I think they aim to have something 10 times this city size in cyberpunk 2077 but even that will feel small if they don't come put with some filler too because everybody expects a massive open world.
also the promises regarding languages and how you have to learn a specific language before talking to a NPC makes their work even harder.
also cars... do they want to jump in the GTA bandwagon? this is fuckin stupid. but at least maybe they will come up with flying cars like in Blade Runner where you must drive on lanes in the sky
to do this game right you need 400 millions USD easily and lots and lots of time

In before the scope of the game is radically downsized or the whole project is cancelled.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
When I saw the first seconds of the GitS trailer as an ad on YT, I actually thought it was a video about C2077.

Hellraiser

Arcane
In before the scope of the game is radically downsized or the whole project is cancelled.

I heard from a reliable source a few months back (a friend of a friend of a friend works at CDP Red, that sort of thing) that at some point they scrapped what code they had and begun working from scratch. Rumours saying that exact thing have been floating around the tubes, with CDP denying them. I find the source trustworthy and even just as rumours, they would be very plausible. They have 0 to show after so many years, there is no media buzz generated by their marketing/pr crew and there has been no worthy news about the project at all after the initial announcement and the year or half of a year following it.

Witcher 3 took more resources than expected, they shifted some of the Cyberpunk staff to help with it. They're working on something that in some areas is entirely new for them, so you have obstacles and delays due to them. Scrapping the whole thing and starting over, especially if they already found major obstacles and early development was sluggish due to Witcher 3 needing more manpower, could be a sound choice. Assuming they really had barely anything code/engine-wise. Considering they have never shown anything in-game, I think that might have been the case. AFAIK they were doing the engine in-house again, which by itself is a major headache. Art assets can easily be reused as can the writing, design etc.

We'll see next year if they finally have something to show, most of their manpower is dedicated to this now, so they should have something.

Last edited:

Fry

Arcane
Rumor has it they applied for more funding from the Polish government. Any idea how that works? Is it just tax breaks, or does the government actually take an equity stake in the game?

Fry

Arcane
No one wants to see Triss with a pink side cut and cybergoggles.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom