Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cyberpunk 2077 Pre-Re-Announcement Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
But still the core of the combat is unchanged, because it cant be. Geralt is Geralt and this is it.

Geralt being what he is doesn't prevent them from making well-executed melee combat.

Rev

Arcane
TW3's combat is weak, that's fair, but how can someone says that Inquisition is better is beyond me.
DA:I combat consist of clicking on enemies and watching for minutes as enemies slowly lose their health, while you press some buttons when the cooldown for the abilities expires. There's nothing to it, no tactical or strategical side and the only difficulty is having the patience to endure all the HP bloats that take forever to fucking die even in the most common trash mobs. It's the worst cs I've seen in a very long time, and unlike TW3, DA:I doesn't have good writing, NPCs, quests or atmosphere to give something back to the player.

duanth123

Arcane

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm usually quite overleveled in Witcher 3 combat, but when I'm not, it's gotten from annoying twitch shit to kind of fun, when I try to bait enemies into attacking and then counter attacking them.

Roguey, comparing DAI combat to Witcher 3 combat is just so laughable that it doesn't merit a response. Enjoy clicking the mouse button for every successive attack you want to make :lol:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Roguey, you're either too old or too impatient to be playing games that require reflexes.

I did just fine with Dungeon Siege III several years ago. It was fast, but not so fast that I had difficulty processing what was happening. I also recently replayed the entire Half-Life series and had no difficulties.

That you would stoop to praise the awkward mess that DA:I calls combat simply because it's slower.

Being able to understand what's going on at all times is good.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Shit combat in CDP games is like bugs in Bethesda games. You know it will happen so it's easier to stomach.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
You should probably adjust your monitor.

My monitor's fine.

I watched RK47's LP of DA:I and it was the most incomprehensible thing I've ever seen.

It plays fine, and you can always pause. Witcher 3's sign menu takes up most of the screen, so that's no good. I liked the Witcher 2 slow-down better.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
Autistic wooden fingered "masters" trying to excel in Witcher 3 combat.
The combat is fine, the people are fucked! Just go back playing chess or something alike.

Perkel

Arcane
found this, pretty old because old W3 logo, so probably 3 years old but still i didnt saw this.

i hope that they vision didnt change much.

I assure you that after TW3 success heads probably went and throw out any PnP thing there was about it.
They want their next 10mln seller like TW3. To realize that they need to make something that will resemble The witcher 3 with guns.

Though all early interviews pointed out that they wanted to make conversion of PnP ruleset like BG2 was, claiming for example they will fix some classes from PnP games...

Perkel

Arcane
Witcher books are just shit source to make a RPG, really shit. Adventure game OK, Telltale style game ok, action game ala batman ok. But not RPG.

I mean it is good that TW3 won RPGcodex goty 3rd place for combat right ? I mean it is bad roleplaying game with bad choices all around, bad quests, bad stories and lore, absolutely shite dialogs and so on...

norolim

Arcane
I did just fine with Dungeon Siege III several years ago. It was fast, but not so fast that I had difficulty processing what was happening. I also recently replayed the entire Half-Life series and had no difficulties.

Being able to understand what's going on at all times is good.
Witcher 3 combat can actually be quite entertaining. There are two conditions though: you need to play on higher difficulty levels and you need to be good at it.

I recorded the video below last year to prove some point in a discussion with someone on the Codex. When you get the hang of the combat and learn to control your opponents, it looks like this. And it's enjoyable.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
You recorded that video right out of TW2, right? I mean, are those strong attacks you're using? For me the moment of revelation came in a certain lengthy combat sequence involving wraiths where I discovered the power of stunlocking with fast attacks (not that it works on drowners that well). After that, the combat not only became a lot easier but its nature also changed almost entirely.

But yeah, TW3's combat has its moments once you get used to the controls (including using hotkeys instead of the quick menu) and the automatic targeting, learn to stop rolling and love the dodge, discover new ways of using signs in combat, and so on. Too bad that after the first few hours the actually interesting combat encounters become few and far between as the difficulty drops so sharply, allowing you to just spam your way through the vast majority of fights without any thought or even a hint of tactics. There are also some fights that are outright abysmal, like everything that happens underwater or involves sirens, and the game doesn't really throw enough new and different challenges on your way to counter your rapid rise in power.

norolim

Arcane
You recorded that video right out of TW2, right? I mean, are those strong attacks you're using?

Not really. I'd put several hours into TW3, before I recoded that video. I also stopped playing after those several hours to wait for all the patches and expansions (will be restarting it soon), so I can't discuss high level combat. I'm getting ready for the disappointment, though.

EDIT: Oh yeah, about stunlocking. If I remember correctly, drowners would counter and/or dodge, when you tried a mashing tactic. It didn't happen quite often enough, but it did limit the effectivness of that playstyle.

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
you need to play on higher difficulty levels

Not happening. I don't like the way Geralt controls in combat (i.e. his context-sensitive animations), so I don't want it to be harder.

Perkel

Arcane
TW3 combat isn't bad. But it also isn't really good. It is just meh to good.

Problem with it mostly comes from retarded +6/-6 enemy boost bonus/malus which is effect of loot system in game.

If you are lvl 10 and enemy is lvl 10 there is no shenanigans going on.
If you are lvl 10 and enemy is lvl 3 then enemy is complete pushover regardless of your damage and armor. You get additional damage reduction and damage so you kill enemy like it is nothing.
If you are lvl 10 and enemy is lvl 17 then enemy gets this shity damage reduction and damage increase just because it is few levels above you.

It is made because "you shouldn't get better weapons early" as level of weapon coming out of body is connected to lvl of mob+your lvl As in the bigger level of enemy the higher chance for better weapon more lvl above your level.

When you get mods that remove item requirements and remove that idiotic boost you have a game where your weapons are only barred by crafting materials you can find (so you get best weapons late in the game) while you don't "enjoy" shit looting system since you can craft something like lvl 15 sword just after reaching velen along with armor lvl 15.

Perkel

Arcane
Imo best way to fix above would be to completely remove weapon loot from enemies and loot scaling to your level and leave only crafting materials.

this way they could throw out completely that bullshit and have progress on your equipment locked behind events, crafting materials and already in game gameplay wall called skill of blacksmith/armorer.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Wonder if they keep the advancing mechanism from pnp, you know, improvement points, not levels.

Frozen

Arcane
TW3 combat is not great but it is massive improvement upon TW2 where every boss fight was retarded not because of the difficulty of the boss itself but problems with interface and clunky controls and fucekd up environments.
I really hope that those who design TW2 boss fights where fired because it looks like they deliberately made them unplayable - invisible bumps on floor only at boss fight point, not having mouse scroll to go through powers, enemy could hit you during animations like changing weapons or casting sings...etc.
All of this is fixed in TW3....maybe even too much because they where so bad in boss fight design that they completely remove them from vanilla.
In TW2 they even managed to fuck up a thing like reward for really difficult optional fights...you suffer through all this shit and at the end no reward...I could remember at least 2 situations like that. I played both with keyboard&mouse and the difference is huge-TW2 was a really bad port to PC and TW3 is quite good.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.gamepressure.com/e.asp?ID=1077

Cyberpunk 2077 may feature seamless multiplayer and a huge living city
CD Projekt RED wants Cyberpunk 2077 to be even better than The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt. That is why they applied for a grant for creating seamless multiplayer and a huge living city.

The list of projects submitted for grants from the Polish GameINN program reveals quite a lot of information regarding the potential features of Cyberpunk 2077. Obviously, this doesn’t mean that all of them will be implemented in the final version of the game, but it gives us an idea where CD PROJEKT RED wants to take us with their upcoming title.

GameINN program led by the National Centre for Research and Development (NCBR) in Poland aims at increasing the competitiveness of the Polish gaming industry on the global market by 2023. The program came to life thanks to the initiative of Porozumienie Polskie Gry [Polish Games Accord], which consists of CD PROJEKT RED, Techland, 11 bit studios, CI Games, and People Can Fly, just to name a few.

CD PROJEKT S.A. – head of the capital group that includes CD PROJEKT RED, developer of Cyberpunk 2077– applied for a grant for something called City Creation, which, according to the official description (as translated from Polish by GamePressure), is “a complex technology for creating a huge living city, playable in real time, which [the technology] is based on rules, AI, and automation, and supports innovative processes and tools for making top-notch open-world games”.

Another noteworthy feature that CD PROJEKT needs extra funds for is Seamless Multiplayer, „a complex technology for making unique multiplayer gameplay mechanics, including the ability to search for opponents, manage game session, replicate objects, and support for different game modes along with a unique set of dedicated tools”. This type of seamless multiplayer seems similar to what Ubisoft is going to offer in Watch Dogs 2, where people will be able to join another player’s session at any time.

Other stuff CD PROJEKT RED are working on are: Animation Excellence (a tech for making more realistic animations in open-world RPG games) and Cinematic Feel (which is kind of self-explanatory). Cyberpunk 2077 is certainly going to be the next big thing from CD CD PROJEKT RED afterThe Witcher 3: Wild Hunt. Unfortunately, there is currently no information on when the game is coming out.
  1. List of GameINN projects accepted for consideration (PDF in Polish)

http://www.pcgamer.com/cyberpunk-2077-could-feature-a-huge-living-city-and-seamless-multiplayer/

Cyberpunk 2077 could feature a ‘huge living city’ and ‘seamless multiplayer’
The Witcher dev has filed grants via the Polish GameINN programme for open-world-building tech.

CD Projekt Red’s next game supposedly has more people working on it than The Witcher 3 ever did, however little else is known about Cyberpunk 2077 beyond its tabletop roots. Geralt’s last outing set the bar high with regards to open-world exploration, and it seems the Polish studio is keen to keep this momentum going, having applied for grants via the Polish GameINN programme for various technologies, including ‘City Creation’, ‘Animation Excellence’, ‘Cinematic Feel’, and ‘Seamless Multiplayer.’

As reported and translated by GamePressure, City Creation is a “complex technology for creating a huge living city, playable in real time, which (the technology) is based on rules, AI, and automation, as well as supports innovative processes and tools for making top-notch open-world games."

Seamless Multiplayer, on the other hand, is a “complex technology for making unique multiplayer gameplay mechanics, including the ability to search out for opponents, manage game session, replicate objects, as well as support for different game modes along with a unique set of dedicated tools." Animation Excellence and Cinematic Feel are likely more self-explanatory.

We contacted CD Projekt Red to confirm the veracity of the applications, to which the studio's Robert Malinowski replied: "We did apply, I can confirm that, yes. However, we wouldn't like to elaborate beyond what's already there."

Assuming CD Projekt Red’s grant applications are successful, can we assume they’ll be applied to the forthcoming Cyberpunk 2077? As Andy reported earlier this month—the game’s Facebook page has been inactive since April 2014, and its Twitter account hasn’t posted since late 2013.

At this stage I too am inclined to take what I can get and would love to assume the above is tied to CDP’s next venture. Either way, the move to secure these grants proves the studio is thinking big into the future.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom