Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cyberpunk 2077 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Zer0wing

Cipher
Say goodbye to non-linearity on the main quest at least.
B-but many major side quests connected to main story line... They'll also won't be non-linear then. :negative:

Quillon

Arcane
I read that Keanu character was based on David Bowie. Black dude wanted to contact him way before but Bowie didn't answered lol

If they wanted a blonde rockstar performance they shoulda asked Ewan McGregor(Curt Wild), I'm finding it hard to believe Keanu was their only option.

CaesarCzech

Scholar
I just wonder how much content they had to cut to pay Keanu to whisper sweet nothings into the player's ear.

Keanu Supposedly has most dialogue after PC and He mentioned that Silverhand has his own agenda, So player might be his ally or enemy, so Imho while you have him in your head there might be some nonlinearity.

CaesarCzech

Scholar
I read that Keanu character was based on David Bowie. Black dude wanted to contact him way before but Bowie didn't answered lol

If they wanted a blonde rockstar performance they shoulda asked Ewan McGregor(Curt Wild), I'm finding it hard to believe Keanu was their only option.

Keanu was involved in Matrix and some stuff previously, McGregor would be good for fantasy.

Quillon

Arcane

Keanu was involved in Matrix and some stuff previously, McGregor would be good for fantasy.

McGregor's good for everything, one of the most versatile actors out there. Also Curt Wild is a fictional rockstar he played albeit gay/bi iirc, watched the movie long ago.

Tho fuck it, hope Keanu won't be a nuisance whole game long.

Frozen

Arcane

Pondsmith at the time when he created the character obviously wanted a rock star but times have changed, there are no rock stars anymore...or are all half-dead.

Keanu is safe bet, recognizable in cyber-techy stuff but im amazed they didn't go with someone like Bieber because he would have mass appeal for base demographics of this game-17yo casual retard.

passerby

Arcane
Keanu is recogniseable for an average mouth breather because of John Wick garbage. Not a single game jurno/youtuber mentioned Matrix during reveal, they were all screaming "fucking John Wick".

Last edited:

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Keanu is recogniseable for an average mouth breather because of John Wick garbage. Not a single game jurno/youtuber mentioned Matrix during reveal, they were all screaming "fucking John Wick".

Matrix is a piece of shit, though. Cool journalists would've obviously mentioned Johnny Mnemonic.

gerey

Arcane
Zionist Agent
B-but many major side quests connected to main story line... They'll also won't be non-linear then. :negative:
See, that's what worries me about 2077. The game is going to be a nonlinear RPG set in an open-world city comparable to those found in GTA games (if not larger), with derivable vehicles, pedestrians, random encounters and no loading screens, on top of allowing the player to tackle quests in a number of different ways ala Deus Ex, and all with an paralleled degree of graphical fidelity and attention to detail.

On top of that all dialogue is voiced, the protagonist can be male or female, and can respond to all these characters in a number of ways, and not top of all that now they've hired a Hollywood actor to impersonate and voice a major character in a branching narrative.

How exactly is some Polish studio that never made anything like this supposed to pull it off successfully when they lack the money and experience of Rockstar? They're basically making nonlinear GTA VI with a fraction of the budget, even accounting for lower costs of development in Poland.

CaesarCzech

Scholar

Matrix is a piece of shit, though. Cool journalists would've obviously mentioned Johnny Mnemonic.

I wanted to mention he was in some other Cyberpunk also named Johny but i forgot the secohnd part thanks for reminder.
See, that's what worries me about 2077. The game is going to be a nonlinear RPG set in an open-world city styled after GTA, with derivable vehicles, pedestrians, random encounters and no loading screens, on top of allowing the player to tackle quests in a number of different ways ala Deus Ex.

On top of that all dialogue is voiced, the protagonist can be male or female, and can respond to all these characters in a number of ways, and not top of all that now they've hired a Hollywood actor to impersonate and voice a major character in a branching narrative.

How exactly is some Polish studio that never made anything like this supposed to pull it off successfully when they lack the money and experience of Rockstar? They're basically making nonlinear GTA VI with a fraction of the budget, even accounting for lower costs of development in Poland.

They already made cuts like not allowing customisation of apartment or only having one apartment, In Witcher 2 They wanted freaking Dol Blathana, With CDPR after cuts you still get amazing game reminds me of better days of Obsidian.

gerey

Arcane
Zionist Agent
not allowing customisation of apartment or only having one apartment
If we're talking about having different safehouses, that's minor shit that is laughably easy to implement. It's just a room with clutter around and some interface to swap equipment.

With CDPR after cuts you still get amazing game reminds me of better days of Obsidian.
Obsidian never made a good game. They made well written games that played like shit.

I have no idea if CDPR still has the talent they had when writing W2 and W3, since there's been plenty of talk about a lot of higher-ups leaving the company in recent years, but I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt in regards to writing despite all the SJW warning signs they've been giving out recently.

What I have no idea how to explain is how they plan to make a game of this magnitude with the resources at their disposal. Kudos to them for daring to ambitious in this day and age, but the way they're approaching the making of this game does not fill me with confidence.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.gamesradar.com/cyberpunk-2077-map-size/

Cyberpunk 2077's map "might be a little bit smaller" than Witcher 3, but it's way more dense
The city is "essentially a protagonist if you want to call it that, so it has to be denser"

If all you care about is traversable landmass, Cyberpunk 2077's urban dystopia might feel like a step back to you - until you look at what's actually in it. Developer CD Projekt Red's last game, The Witcher 3, gave players several fantasy realms to explore, with cities, villages, and a whole lot of sprawling countryside between them. Cyberpunk 2077 subtracts the countryside, turns the whole thing into one big city, and jams it full of even more stuff.

We had the opportunity to interview Cyberpunk 2077 producer Richard Borzymowski at Gamescom, and he explained the approach the studio is taking to building out the virtual world of Night City. You can watch the whole interview below.

"If you look at pure surface [in terms of] square kilometers, then Cyberpunk 2077 might even be a little bit smaller than The Witcher 3, but it’s the density of the content, taking the world of The Witcher and squeezing it right in, deleting the wilderness between.

"Obviously [...] in The Witcher we were an open world with vast lanes and forests in between smaller cities and larger cities like Novigrad, but in Cyberpunk 2077 we’re set in Night City. It’s an integral part of the setting; it’s essentially a protagonist if you want to call it that, so it has to be denser. It wouldn't give us the end effect we wanted to achieve if the city wouldn't be believable [...] so we packed it full of life."

Night City is more densely packed than The Witcher's world, and it also has more spaces stacked on top of each other vertically. It sounds like you won't be able to explore outside of the city, but there probably wouldn't be much to see beyond its walls - judging by our look at Cyberpunk Red, the rest of the world is probably still in bad shape.

jf8350143

Liturgist
See, that's what worries me about 2077. The game is going to be a nonlinear RPG set in an open-world city comparable to those found in GTA games (if not larger), with derivable vehicles, pedestrians, random encounters and no loading screens, on top of allowing the player to tackle quests in a number of different ways ala Deus Ex, and all with an paralleled degree of graphical fidelity and attention to detail.

I wouldn't call it a fraction of the budget. Witcher 3 cost 80 million dollars, 2077 will be much more than that, probably half the budget of GTA 5.

Also Rockstar's problem is about their idea of creating a video game, not they don't have the budget to pull it off. They don't want to make a non-linear story with meaningful choices, they just want linear story and horse shit.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard

Probably because they were born during Matrix

DeepOcean

Arcane
Also Rockstar's problem is about their idea of creating a video game, not they don't have the budget to pull it off. They don't want to make a non-linear story with meaningful choices, they just want linear story and horse shit.
Sorta of agree here but it is undeniable that non-linearity imply higher costs, but thinking about it, Fallout New Vegas has way more reactivity than Shitout 3 for a lower budget so if you aren't obsessed into trying to make cinematic popamole scripted BS maybe you can do it BUT can't ignore the Keanu Reaves + open world factor. We will see, the reactivity of Witcher 3 was inferior to Witcher 2 and that was mostly because of the open world stuff. I have to say I'm skeptical of the CDPR hype machine.

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
I think it's cool that they are going for verticality rather than an expansive landmass in regards to how big the gameworld is. Can't think of a game that has really attempted it. Even the GTA series, which has always boasted about it's huge cityscapes, have never really gone for that level of detail/interactivity within sky scapers etc.

Last edited:

DeepOcean

Arcane
All those big cities where you cant enter on any building with exception of the main missions... If they allow you to enter on the buildings it would be great and a wake up call to Rockstar up their game and stop doing the same BS since GTA 3.

jf8350143

Liturgist
Sorta of agree here but it is undeniable that non-linearity imply higher costs, but thinking about it, Fallout New Vegas has way more reactivity than Shitout 3 for a lower budget so if you aren't obsessed into trying to make cinematic popamole scripted BS maybe you can do it BUT can't ignore the Keanu Reaves + open world factor. We will see, the reactivity of Witcher 3 was inferior to Witcher 2 and that was mostly because of the open world stuff. I have to say I'm skeptical of the CDPR hype machine.

It didn't really take that much to build a non-linear game play, just let the player do their own thing(within the game's own system of course) instead of "you failed the mission because you walk 5 meters away from the direction we 'want' you to take".

It's probably much cheaper because you can just cut off half of the pointless cut scenes and let the game be a game rather than a movie.

Non-linear story is more complicated, but I'd argue it's more about where the devs spend the budget on rather than how much budget they have. Rockstars' game was always too long and full of meaningless crap that could be cut off.

gerey

Arcane
Zionist Agent
All those big cities where you cant enter on any building with exception of the main missions... If they allow you to enter on the buildings it would be great and a wake up call to Rockstar up their game and stop doing the same BS since GTA 3.
But how big is the city in Cyberpunk 2077 going to be? How many buildings are you going to be able to enter. Logic dictates that the more dense with details the environment, the smaller the game world is going to be, and there's really no elegant solution to enlarge it besides bruteforcing it via hiring more people/making the development process longer.

Also, I've yet to hear what is supposed to happen when you run over a civilian or shoot at a crowd of people. In GTA it usually doesn't matter since the game world is static and the plot linear, but what are the consequences of killing a civilian going to be in a game like 2077?

Sam Ecorners

Arcane
Patron

Plenty mentioned it, what nobody seems to mention is the other Gibson movie he was in: A Scanner Darkly

EDIT: I know I'm an idiot, but I'm not gonna cover up my stupidity

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom