Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cyberpunk 2077 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

there's currently no way to, say, make a character with traditionally feminine features that uses masculine pronouns or vice versa

There are actually living breathing human beings that think that would be in any way a sensible use of development resources. How the fuck does someone end up like that?

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
So once again the Potatos gonna learn that the more you pander, the more they slander.

Dan Vavra got it right - SJWs throw shit at you, you fight right back, say GamerGate is great and SJWs are nasty commies. Sell 1 million in a week, 5 million in two years, even tho your game is an obscure eurojank made on a shoestring budget, sell your studio to a big publisher, buy a Bentley, laugh at the soytards from your champagne filled bathtub.

That's how you do it.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
there's currently no way to, say, make a character with traditionally feminine features that uses masculine pronouns or vice versa

There are actually living breathing human beings that think that would be in any way a sensible use of development resources. How the fuck does someone end up like that?
But can't you choose a female "body type", add male genetalia and pick a male voice?

Quillon

Arcane
Though not only the origins are clearly taken from Dragon Age, the Jackie V relation also reminds me a lot of the Grey warden and Duncan from DAO. Both are the only recurring figures in all origins, he saves you and helps you become a Solo and just like Duncan the prologue ends when he dies.
Yeah, I was thinking exactly this too.

If I didn''t know about Johnny Silverhand having the second most voice acting, I wouldn't have ruled out Jackie surviving, but I think there is no way the player could have two mentor figures at the same time.

He reminds me more of Joe Barbaro, whose death was probably intended to have the same effect for a direct sequel Mafia 3 or a "complete" Mafia 2's second half.

ChildInTime

Learned

But can't you choose a female "body type", add male genetalia and pick a male voice?
Wait, I thought you can choose your voice for example be male on female body? Did I read it wrong or "journalists" strike again?

I'm under the impression that what they want is to be able to make a character that is completely female in appearance, voice, etc and be referred to with male pronouns, or vice versa. So you make, for example, a female character, and NPCs react to you as though you're a male character, or you make a male character and NPCs react to you as though you're a female character.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Wait, I thought you can choose your voice for example be male on female body? Did I read it wrong or "journalists" strike again?
My understanding was that the choice of voice is independent of everything else, same as the body type and genetalia. But now that you mentioned it, maybe it's not really clear. It's always so difficult with these freaks.

jf8350143

Liturgist
My understanding was that the choice of voice is independent of everything else, same as the body type and genetalia. But now that you mentioned it, maybe it's not really clear. It's always so difficult with these freaks.

That's what happens when they forbid the journalists from recording anything.

Anyway from one of the people who played the game, character creation goes like this: first you choose your body type(male and female), then you customise your face, then your genitalia, then your background. Voice is a option you get to choose when customise, not decided by the body type or anything.

Also he mentioned you cant change name, only V. Which is kind wired since back in the 48 minute preview they let you choose your name.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
This looks like GTAV/Witcher3 mix with focus on "cinematic experience". If they do their thing of creating several separate main quests that tie together like they did in Witcher games it will be like an interactive guy ritchie / cyberpunk movie which I'll enjoy. It's barely a RPG though.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
This looks like GTAV/Witcher3 mix with focus on "cinematic experience"
Zero surprise there. Yes, it's only superficially an RPG, but IMO this is the trend now.

I think it's particularly related to an idea of providing "choice" is good and yes I would say choice is one of the defining elements of a RPG, choice is characterisation, customisation, approach and basically nearly all narrative and gameplay elements. However there is an issue here, if you are aiming to give a choice in everything then you have to also inflating the illusion of choice, you have to make more and more dialogue and story choices that lead to same thing, gameplay choices that do the same thing. It basically reduces the ratio of actual choice and illusion of choice, so absolute choice becomes absolute illusion.

A game that did combination of real choice and illusion of choice was alpha protocol. However I am not sure how relevant this is in the case of Cyberpunk although it did remind me of alpha protocol in terms of flavour of dialogue the situation with Cyberpunk seems to have been just following of trend from Witcher1 to Witcher3 where it's less and less a RPG and more and more an open world narrative game.

Semiurge

Cipher
I'm under the impression that what they want is to be able to make a character that is completely female in appearance, voice, etc and be referred to with male pronouns, or vice versa. So you make, for example, a female character, and NPCs react to you as though you're a male character, or you make a male character and NPCs react to you as though you're a female character.

That has already been a staple of rpg's that let you pick a gender, no matter what you choose you'll often be referred to with the other pronoun :negative:

eilef

Educated
Finally found gameplay without commentary. And honestly? I liked what I saw in 2019 and 2018 way more. Some things are way to cliché, shooting and melee looks not that great, and there is a huge focus on making it a cinematic experience. Perhaps mods can fix some of the game flaws after release? If the rest of the game will feel like that 2019 presintation, these minor flaws can be ignored.

Last edited:

gerey

Arcane
Zionist Agent

Are these NPCs mind readers? If the player characters looks like a male and sounds like a male, how are they to determine "he" is a "she"?

I thought the whole point of trannies turning themselves into flesh golems was to "pass", not have everyone treat you like a Mistake of God unique slowflake?

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
Finally found gameplay without commentary. And honestly? I liked what I saw in 2019 and 2018 way more. Some things are way to cliché, shooting and melee looks not that great, and there is a huge focus on making it a cinematic experience. Perhaps mods can fix some of the game flaws after release? If the rest of the game will feel like that 2019 presintation, these minor flaws can be ignored.

Oooh man.. That's hand to hand combat looks as good as VtMB2 lol
The city and club seems super dead. The heart of Night City seems a bit dead. And the V's VA is trying so hard to be cool. ''Looks like the dog ate mine''? Are you for real? :lol:

It seems fine. Looks really good and visuals of night city are gorgeous but there's barely any cars or people in the streets , combat doesn't looks good and seems way too cinematic.

Last edited:

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
Making a cyberpunk game open-world instead of hub-based will automatically result in dead looking game because you simply can't detail an open world game as much as a hub.

Yeah, sure but this looks like super dead. There isn't a single car other the player's car other than that one chase scene.
For the looks of it , it seems another game with huge open world for no reason.

Unwanted

†††

Patron
Here we go.

pPVYEGu.jpg
Watch them delay the game another 3 months to include extra pronouns

Curratum

So it's GTA, but the sidewalks are either non-existent or lifeless...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom