Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Cyclopean is an upcoming Lovecraftian dungeon crawler from the creator of Islands of the Caliph

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
It looks very bad visually.
At some point we are going to have to start calling out these "retro games" that look intentionally shit, when the goal of the very games they are copying was to look as good as the then technology allowed.

Iluvcheezcake

Prophet
I thought the Islands of the Caliph looked somewhat decent, so why the awful 2-color palette graphics from the late 70's ? God, what an eyesore, it's so bad it could permanently damage your vision.
As time passes, and technology advances, hipster devs intentionally make shittier looking games

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
blobber is an absolutely trash genre
Legend of Grimrock single handedly revived it for the wider audience. And it seems very good for smaller screens, for handhelds and phones. They just need to figure out how to make the text easier to read, and stick to turn based. It has potential both as a niche and as a mass product.
And not have this vomit intentionally bad visual style.

Eirinjas

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex
Neo becomes The One and realizes the Matrix was just some shitty indie dev's duct-taped fan-fiction game.

Baron Tahn

Scholar
Can't say the artstyle for this is my jam. I do like retro style graphics if done right - like xeen looks fucking great and if emulated correctly I think that's good for a modern game, but meh...this ain't that.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Blobber-haters:

ZLWqa3N.jpg

Darkozric

Arbiter
Edgy
DM has nothing to do with this shit. I'm not a blobber hater and you know it.

This is the way to make it right
sos-serpent-test.gif

And if you want to go more retro than this, even the 8-bit version looks more charming than this hipster cat vomit

5f84b757ee920.png
extra-lire-fichier.png

Darkozric

Arbiter
Edgy
Shadows of Sergoth, the top one is the amiga version, below is the 8-bit amstrad version

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
I think the overall concept is idiotic. It feels like an AI trying to reproduce an era of games that didn't exist. There was never a time of highly detailed green screen. IBM green screen systems used the DE-9 (9 pin) connection. It was a serial *fucking* connection to video output! I know, that doesn't mean anything to anyone, but it's slow - trust me! For reference, watch the movie Wargames from 1983 to see how slow things write to the screen. This is garbage disguised as retro.

Baron Tahn

Scholar
Cheers but apparently it's already ticked. Not gonna lose any sleep over it I'm sure I'll figure it out when I have time to search it up.

Zeriel

Arcane
blobber is an absolutely trash genre
Legend of Grimrock single handedly revived it for the wider audience. And it seems very good for smaller screens, for handhelds and phones. They just need to figure out how to make the text easier to read, and stick to turn based. It has potential both as a niche and as a mass product.
And not have this vomit intentionally bad visual style.

Funny since LoG is the worst exemplar of it. It's like if you rebooted platformers and the game that got popular for it was Battletoads instead of Mario. Flash in the pan too where obviously people didn't actually like LoG for the game it was, the sequel failed horribly. I really wish the game to get the LoG sales and popularity had been an actually solid blobber so we would have gotten a sequel with legs.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Would this game run on an Amstrad CPC?

It'll probably be on itch.io as well. If really cheap then maybe I'll pick it up. A blobber is a blobber is a blobber and I have played far worse graphically and with probably a way inferior interface.

treborSux

Arcane
I fuckin love rogue-likes! What a waste of time developing a proper game, when you can get a heckin new experience every time!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom