Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CYOA - The Miniature World

Tigranes

Arcane
I don't care about the rest, but dear god, 1A, anything to dissociate from the life of Eggbert

tsuke

Educated
I don't care about the rest, but dear god, 1A, anything to dissociate from the life of Eggbert
Yeah, we're a lot of things, Humpty Dumpty ain't one of them.

I mean your still going to look like Eggbert lol.

Picture of Lady Kay added. Please tell me if thats something you would like me to do in the future for heroes.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
5 feet tall
Obviously overweight with a bowl cut.
I can feel it...

What a freaking badass we are going to be.

BB>AA

I kinda feel like pretending to have amnesia would lead to an unintended consequence. In the real world, people don't just accept that sort of thing. We could end up in the hospital regularly for all sorts of tests.

tsuke

Educated
The Siege

You take a quick look around the city. You don't seem to have missed any options. Of course you can't tell if any enemy troops are hidden but you can't spare much more time too look around. The pivot of this battle will be at the central gate. Whether your side wins or loses will be determined there.

You quickly disable your aerial view and give a mental command to Lady Kay and the rest of your minions. The battle would be decided in the center and that's where you shall go.

The First Camelot Regulars take point with the rangers and Lady Kay quickly following behind.

They finally reach the central gate and they see the Phalanx still holding firm. In the front row is someone who looks like Hector from Troy stabilizing the formation. Behind them is a group of what look like mages chanting what you can only assume is some sort of spell.

Their leader, a wizard in a grey robe looks at your crew "A new Hexer? Strange. It is not time yet. We were not expecting reinforcements"

Lady Kay announces your entry into battle with flurry of arrows, taking out a goblin commander and a huge ogre within minutes of each other. The Camelot Rangers make their own contribution as the Regulars form their shield wall and take their place next to the phalanx.

The additional forces alleviates the pressure from the Phalanx and they manage to force the enemy back step by step towards the breach. However the presence of additional enemy reinforcements stabilizes the opposing line and things calm down.

There were no real tactics at play here. There were just two forces grinding into each other. A battle of wills to see which would break first.

The Camelot Regulars performed well at first. After all with chain mail, swords, and shields they were armed extraordinary well for militia. But they were still militia. In what was for all intents and purposes their first major battle.

Leofred fell first. His skull caved in by the axe of an ogre. Fredrick was next as he fought to drag his friends body from the battlefield hoping some sort of medic could save him. One by one the regulars died. Finally when they had lost half their members the first one took a step back and then another. Then the rout started. The phalanx next to them was surprised as their reinforcements broke. They were professionals though so they recovered by adopting a secondary formation but the damage was done.

The Camelot Rangers faired better but ultimately they were in the thickest part of the fighting wearing only leather armor. The enemy had their own archers who started to pick off the rangers. They did this slowly and the rangers were able to kill much more than their number but they were eventually wiped out to a man.

Lady Kay performed much better. Her heroics giving the defenders time to regroup.

Still because of the rout the enemy were able to engage Kay in melee. Eventually a bald , rotund warrior, wielding a great axe found her. His crimson colored armor was splattered in gore, intimidating everyone around him.

"Elven Bitch!" He cried as he swung his great axe.

Kay managed to block with her bow but it was never meant to stand up to that much pressure and the bow broke leaving her defenseless. The next blow takes off her head as you black out.

The next thing you see is a single word "Defeat"

You find yourself in the hospital room. Your family is looking at you in shock but you don't particularly care about them at this very moment.

"SHIT. What did I do. Kay. Minions!"

You quickly close your eyes and make your way to Camelot. You scan your spiritual domain and you breathe a sigh of relief as you see them all gathered in the Prancing Pony. From the conversations they have you can make out that they were teleported to the battlefield and dumped there as soon as they "died"

You hypothesize that they can't truly die unless they die in Camelot but there's really no way to test that theory.

You decide to leave them for now as you do have to offer up some sort of explanation to your family.

The next thing you see is the face of your mother. "Eggy! Are you alright? You collapsed again!"

You just nod.

Shu hugs you tighter and screams "Oooohh im so happy! Your a Hexer! That means your life is set! Your Dad and I were so worried you would grow up to be a jobless loser and we would have to take care of you for your entire life"

"I was going to let you stay in the basement when my future husband buys me a house!" One of your sisters chimes in helpfully.

"Brother was so cool! Your troops look so strong! Who is the girl? Is she the one on your pillow?" Your other sister adds.

"Yeah he cooly led them all to their deaths!" Your dad says with his two thumbs up

This was the first time you noticed what appears to be a screen hanging in the air with your family replaying your recent battle.

Your dad is crying now " I never thought I would have a Hexer in the family. Its a dream come true. Its ok to be cannon fodder son. As long as your a Hexer everything will be fine"

You figure now was as good a time as any. "Excuse me. Who is this Eggbert?

Your entire family looks at you and shouts. "DOCTOR!!!!!!"

You were given bed rest for the night with promises of more tests for tomorrow. Your parents go home to bring your clothes while your sisters take care of you. You do have the entire night to yourself.

A. Talk to your sisters. Find out more about you and your life here. You might need to know more about your immediate surroundings to prosper.

B. Ignore them and spend the whole night browsing. You do have a phone and what looks like the internet. You can probably piece together some of the history of the world. Your not sure about the accuracy though.

C. Go to "sleep". Of course your really not going to sleep. Your going to spend time in Camelot to see if you can figure out more things about the miniature world.

The Lumber Mill in Camelot has been completed. The operation begins near the edge of the forest. The Rangers and Regulars guard the Mill in shifts and Lady Kay orders that the forest be unexplored so that we would not disturb anything that would disrupt the new industry. It hardly matters though as the mist is near the edge of the forest so your people could not explore further even if they wanted to.

Aside from the Lumber industry enriching Camelot the forest also provides some level of food in the form of nuts and berries and small animals that have been displaced by the clearing operation. This encourages around 50 new people to call Camelot home. Some of them live in the town itself but most live near the forest and bring in goods to trade.

There is the question of the First Camelot Regulars though. They broke. Should there be punishment?

A. Only the harshest punishment awaits those who rout. Decimation it is.

B. It is only the first time they did this and it was under exceptional circumstances. No punishment.

C. Yes we lost and everyone is feeling down. Maybe instead of punishment a feast is in order to lift morale?

In a room somewhere

A female voice can be heard. Clearly frustrated. "Goddamit we lost again. We only have three tries left"

Another voice answers "Yes we did but we did gain another Hexer. That will only make things easier in the future"

The first voice responds "A tactically inept Hexer. But I suppose beggars can't be choosers. Have we found out who it is"

"Yes we received a call from his parents reporting his awakening. We are sending representatives to Luna Hospital tomorrow"

"Its a him???"

Last edited:

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
B. Ignore them and spend the whole night browsing. You do have a phone and what looks like the internet. You can probably piece together some of the history of the world. Your not sure about the accuracy though.

B. It is only the first time they did this and it was under exceptional circumstances. No punishment.

Baltika9

Arcane

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Naw, CC is the way to go. It's the miniature world that's important. Figure out more about it, and do try to cater to the troops.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Naw, CC is the way to go. It's the miniature world that's important. Figure out more about it, and do try to cater to the troops.
I can agree with wanting to know more about miniCamelot but feasting is King-Harlaus-the-Butterlord grade bad idea.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
"I was going to let you stay in the basement when my future husband buys me a house!" One of your sisters chimes in helpfully.

"Brother was so cool! Your troops look so strong! Who is the girl? Is [she] the one on your pillow?" Your other sister adds.
Based sisters enabling our trad-NEET lifestyle.

You were given bed rest for the night with promises of more tests for tomorrow.
Told you so.

A - relationships matter, NEETs.
B - for those who don't understand: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decimation_(Roman_army)

I would pick decimation had we gone with Rome, but I think the knights of Camelot might either reject such a punishment, or else become extremely demoralized.

tsuke

Educated
B and B I think? 2 part update incoming. One for the data dump you get online and another for the actual story.

GreyViper

Prophet
B & B still, if its our physical body we cant ignore it nor Camelot. By the way looking at previous choices I think A would have been correct but seems our heroes need to get stronger.

tsuke

Educated
Histories

The planet you currently reside in is named Vesia. There are four major identical continents located in the North East North West South East and South West. The continents are named Ruby, Garnet, Opal, and Topaz and you are currently located in Ruby. In the middle there is a floating tower called the Tower of Hex. No one really knows how it floats or how it got there.

As you continue your search it becomes apparent that there are two phases of history. Simplistically called Pre - Tower and Post - Tower. History is very hazy about the Pre - Tower era. Its not that there is no information available. Its that there is so much available that you can't tell which is real. Official websites are silent on the matter as well preferring to focus on Post - Tower times.

From what you can tell the world nearly ended Pre - Tower. Whether it was from Wars, Natural Disasters, Climate Change, or even Aliens, one thing was clear. The population of the world had gotten so low as to be almost non sustainable.

That was when the Tower of Hex appeared. Through technological might they imposed a new world order upon the world. Humans could of course still murder humans but outright war was unacceptable. Even posturing and other forms of saber rattling was met with deadly force at first. Things have been more loosely enforced over time but the general directive still holds true, since the Tower came there have been no more wars or battles.

The various cities around the world ended up repopulating over the time with some forming leagues and cooperatives while some choosing to remain city states. You currently reside in the City State of Senfeld.

Of course human nature dictates that people will always fight for limited resources and the Tower of Hex could not change that. What changed was how they fought. Instead of violence people instead used the game of Hex. As you have already participated in one you can tell that it is essentially a war simulation. The Tower administration generally tried to keep things fair but most of the rules were left up to the participants.

Nations made private wagers between themselves and transferred resources and moved boundaries over games of Hex and the Tower Administration itself would give out challenges and rewards based on it. Everything from technology to territory and even to people (cloned or produced by the Tower in some way) could be given out. Your sisters themselves were not your biologically sisters but rather prizes won in a competition and assigned to your parents. Given how low the population had gotten and the potential ire of the tower itself there are no social stigmas associated with being born this way.

Its not a stretch to say that at this point in time humanity was divided into two distinct camps. Hexers and non-Hexers. Those who won the genetic lottery were guaranteed a life of comfort. Though fame and prestige would only truly come to those who earn it while those who could not Hex were consigned to serve those who could. After all the state would only prosper if its Hexers won.

At this point life generally revolved around Hex. Schools opened up to teach children tactics and colleges for Hexers came to be to strengthen them. The main form of entertainment was even Hex as the citizens clamored to watch the challenges and even the exams the children in school took. Professional Hex teams even existed to add to the variety of entertainment. It is not an exaggeration to say that at any point in time there would be a live Hex game being broadcasted.

There were two ways of becoming a Hexer. First those children who were determined to be tactically adept or had other redeeming qualities were given "Hex Miniatures" by either the Tower administration or by various individuals world wide. This then awakened their abilities and allowed them to enter the game. Of course this was not an exact science as there were those who were given miniatures and failed to awaken. These Dreamers were the only true outcasts of society. Secondly there were the "Wildlings". You suspect that you count among them. These were people who awakened on their own through no help of anyone. Though there are theories that there are no actual wildlings but rather they were just secretly supported by some backer in the Tower Administration. For some reason whether it be genetics or choice Hexers were mostly female.

This is the world you find yourself in.

Last edited:

tsuke

Educated
B & B still, if its our physical body we cant ignore it nor Camelot. By the way looking at previous choices I think A would have been correct but seems our heroes need to get stronger.
Was this for the battle?

A was actually the trap choice :P It sounds correct because thats where you think the battle would be decided but all the other options would have let you control the number of enemies as well as their quality better. You would also have made better use of your terrain specialization. Perhaps contributing to the battle in a smaller but more effective way. A level 1 chrono doesnt have to go to Lavos straight away unless hes in New Game + :)

Feedback on the writing is also appreciated. Are you guys enjoying so far?

Last edited:

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
You currently reside in the City State of Senfeld.
lgCB7pO.png

Was this for the battle?

A was actually the trap choice :P It sounds correct because thats where you think the battle would be decided but all the other options would have let you control the number of enemies as well as their quality better. You would also have made better use of your terrain specialization. Perhaps contributing to the battle in a smaller but more effective way. A level 1 chrono doesnt have to go to Lavos straight away unless hes in New Game + :)

Feedback on the writing is also appreciated. Are you guys enjoying so far?
Yep. I can't brofist anything since I'm a newbie though.

GreyViper

Prophet
Well, live and learn, still guess we will have to pay more attention to our skills when deciding our answers in future. And from what I understand 3 more defeats and the story is over?

tsuke

Educated
Prima Nocta

The excitement dies down as the doctor prescribes some basic treatments for you. One of your sisters pipes up "Mom, Dad. Why don't you two go home tonight and get some rest. We will stay with Eggy-poo and try to gauge his memory"

"Yeah" your other sister continues "Go directly to the doctor tomorrow morning well handle things here."

After your parents leave your sisters turn to you. "Eggy! You really don't remember us???? You said you would never forget us no matter what!"

You shake your head. You don't really want to talk to these people. You just want to browse the web using your phone to find out your situation here.

"BOOO! Oh well lets remind you of some things first. I'm Riko and she's Ako. You love us the most in the world. But of course you love me more than Ako"

"Lies lies lies! Eggy you love me most" Chimes in Ako.

"Ummm.... Sure whatever you guys say..... Look I'm a bit tired I'm going to turn in." You try to end all conversation by hiding underneath the blanket.

"Aww Riko and I thought we would talk the whole night. Your really just going to ignore us?"

"Ako, maybe he is tired lets get to bed too."

With that the twins shuffle off and you are relieved. You begin your mission and find more data about the world. This lasts for all of 5 minutes until you feel something warm beside you. You look up and see both your sisters getting into bed with you.

"Wait wait wait! This is a single bed! How are all three of us going to fit here!"

"Don't worry about this. We do this all the time" Says Ako

"Maybe sibling skinship will help you remember" quips Riko

"Dont you remember our deal?" nudges Ako

Ako looks at Riko and they say together "We protect you from being bullied and in return you are our hug pillow."

"You came up with the deal yourself!" Exclaims Riko.

You give up. Clearly your not going to dodge them. "Ok fine we will sleep like this tonight. I really wanted to browse online to see if I remember anything so you two are going to help me"

"Yayyy!!!!"

"Eggy gave up!!!!"

The next morning you are still stuck there in the middle of your sister sandwich. You wait for your parents to get there and realize its going to be a while as they are going to talk to the doctors first.

In the doctors office your parents sit down and your mother is first to speak.

"Give it to us straight Doc. How is Eggy?"

"All the tests are within normal range. It is how it seems to be. He has Amnesia from a severe blow to the head." The doctor responds. He takes a deep breath before he continues " The question we have to answer now is how do we proceed from here"

"What kind of question is that! Of course were going to treat Eggy!" Your mother shouts! " Is it money? We may not be Hexers but we had some in the family before we are rich!"

The doctor squirms uncomfortably.

Your dad speaks up " Let me Doc. My love is just emotional right now. There is probably some rule or tenet that the doctor is trying to skirt around which is why he can't say this directly but I think he wants to ask if we want Eggbert treated in the first place"

The doctor nods

"I've been doing some research" Your father continues. "Eggbert is a wildling. No one really knows how someone becomes a wildling. If we treat Eggbert he may lose his ability to become a Hexer. In the worse case they may even treat him like a Dreamer"

Your father waits for your mother to nod before continuing "I have given this some thought. What are the consequences of just not treating him and hoping for the best? As a Hexer Eggbert really has a shot in life now."

"None as far as I can see. But you should really leave the final choice to Eggbert. After all it is his life"

Your mom reluctantly agrees.

Your parents get in to see your sisters still clinging to you. They explain the situation to you and their conversation with the doctor.

The choice is yours. Do you

A) Ask to receive treatment to recover lost memories. It would also be more in character.

B) Refuse. After all you don't want to risk losing your hexer status.

After giving your answer you are discharged and your parents tell you that they have reported you to the government as a newly awakened Hexer. It appears the person who you helped in yesterdays trial was Princess Alina. She was the one commanding the troops in the center. She's not impressed enough with you to meet you in person but she has arranged for you to enter Sunburst Academy. The place to be for all upcoming Hexers. She has personally written you a letter of recommendation and your parents are shipping you off to school.

Ako and Riko have convinced your parents to let the stay with you for a few days and so the three of you head off.

"Ako" Riko says "Its not right that a hug pillow is a Hexer and we arent. So Eggbert has to help us become Hexers the first chance he gets"

"Agreed!" answers Ako

You just walk off as fast as your little legs can carry you knowing that your not winning this conversation.

When you get to Sunburst Ako and Riko bring your luggage to your room while you head off to your meeting with the Headmaster.

When you get there you see someone that can only be described as Meiko from Prison School sitting in the desk.

"Ahh our newest entry. Welcome Welcome." The woman stands up and shakes your hand. "My name is Holly Jenkins. I pretty much run this place. In here you will hopefully learn to develop your Hexer skills and contribute to our great state of Senfeld. I take it you are the wildling named Eggbert?"

You nod and shake her hand "Yes. I never thought I would be in a place like this my whole life"

"Well take advantage of the opportunity" she replies. "Now you will be assigned to a class but before that you have to take two exams first. The first is a general knowledge exam. While it is true that we specialize in Hex we have to make sure that you know enough to at least function in society. After that we have a more practical application to check on your aptitude with Hex. If there are no more questions I wish you well. The general knowledge exam is in one hour in Exam room A."

Taking that as your dismissal you leave after saying your goodbyes.

Meanwhile Camelot is progressing nicely. The timber industry is producing some very nice income and having a natural source of wood helps the town expand as well. Patrolling the edge of the forest also gives your troops enough exercise to maintain their level of training. The town naturally grows to a population of 800 as more and more wanderers settle in. There are currently enough jobs and industries to maintain them all.

However as Camelot prospers so are new problems brought in.

First off the rising population has made Camelot an attractive place for Religions to expand to. Currently there are three major groups which want to set up a church in town.

A. The Sisters of Power. They are a militant order that believes in the separation of men and women. Women should go out and work while men should stay at home and tend to the family. They say that if Lady Kay had all female troops they would have won the battle of the gate.

B. The Sisters of Love. A softer order compared to the Sisters of Power. They are more widespread and have more contacts with other cities and can use them to send more merchants your way. They believe that sisters are love and that it should be ok to have relations with siblings. In fact it should not only be allowed but encouraged.

C. The Coven of the Lady. They are a druidic order which believe that the "lady" stand atop humankind and should be worshipped. They believe in being one with nature. Their pendants and representations of the "lady" look suspiciously like your new headmistress.

D. None. They are all equally crazy and I want nothing to do with them.

Camelot is at that point where it needs to decide how it wants to be governed as well. So far it has just been an ad hoc system where Lady Kay and other leading citizens tell the others what to do in their field of expertise. The question is what form of government should we set up.

A. Monarchy - Lady Kay and her line will rule.

B. Class system - Have a council made up of a dominant class. If this choice is made another choice needs to be made with it if A) warriors should be dominant or B) Merchants should

C. Representative - People should vote for their leaders letting the most popular rule. If this choice is made another choice needs to be made as well for A) Presidential/executive B) leadership by council.

Authors note: I planned a lot more for the school but I didnt realize how long the update had gotten so Im cutting it off here. Enjoy!

tsuke

Educated
Well, live and learn, still guess we will have to pay more attention to our skills when deciding our answers in future. And from what I understand 3 more defeats and the story is over?

As far as you can tell as long as Camelot is not breached you should be ok. A certain Dwarf may not be happy if you fail a lot but who knows really.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom