Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

D&D 5E Discussion

Larianshill

Arbiter
He's at it again!

Larianshill

Arbiter
That's a great idea. Maybe something that both signifies his attachment to spellcasters, and how big of a figure he is in 5E-related threads. I humbly suggest "Grand Wizard".

SoupNazi

That's a great idea. Maybe something that both signifies his attachment to spellcasters, and how big of a figure he is in 5E-related threads. I humbly suggest "Grand Wizard".
I think that is too generic. Perhaps an "Imperial Wizard", showing that the 5E-related threads are HIS domain, HIS "empire", is a little bit more specific and worthy of his determination.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
About Sorcerer X Wizard, I honestly prefer the original Gigax idea of a Sorcerer being a reckless magic user focused on conjuration over WoTC idea of sorcerer. Only preferred Sorcs over Wizards when was ignorant about Vance's novels.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
About Sorcerer X Wizard, I honestly prefer the original Gigax idea of a Sorcerer being a reckless magic user focused on conjuration over WoTC idea of sorcerer. Only preferred Sorcs over Wizards when was ignorant about Vance's novels.

I don't think I ever played a sorcerer that wasn't straight up psychotic.

Larianshill

Arbiter
Despite their popularity among fans of genre fiction, Dungeons & Dragons’ The Legend of Drizzt novels have been fairly criticized for reinforcing racist fantasy tropes. R.A. Salvatore, the creator of Drizzt, tells Polygon that the time has come to set things right.

Salvatore’s next novel, Starlight Enclave, will expand the franchise into new territories. At the same time, it will broaden the identity of the drow, the race of dark-skinned elves that have been a part of the original role-playing game since the 1970s. It’s a change to the drow that’s part of a larger reckoning with race in Wizards of the Coast’s D&D and Magic: The Gathering properties. Salvatore isn’t reluctant to be part of that change, which he says is long overdue.

“I did it because it’s the right thing to do,” Salvatore told Polygon in an exclusive interview. “It’s an update that was greatly needed — for things that I didn’t even know were a problem when I first wrote the books.”

The Legend of Drizzt began in 1988 with The Crystal Shard, Salvatore’s first published novel. It tells the story of a drow named Drizzt Do’Urden and his adventures among the inhabitants of Icewind Dale, a northern region in D&D’s Forgotten Realms setting. While the humans, dwarves, and other fantasy creatures that inhabit the Dale present as vaguely Nordic or Viking, Drizzt has black skin. That feature, which marks him as a member of an inherently violent and untrustworthy race of elves, casts him as the other and invariably sets him at odds with his neighbors.

Savatore says this othering was always his intent. What he did not fully comprehend when he created the character, he said, was how Drizzt’s blackness would contribute to how that othering was perceived by his audience. Today, the black-as-other and related tropes are widely viewed as a problematic narrative devices. But they’re also a symptom of longstanding issues with the lore of D&D.

Since its inception in the 1970s, the game has codified racism, in the form of strict inequalities between its fantasy races, within its ruleset. As writer and game designer James Mendez Hodes wrote in 2019, “D&D, like Tolkien, makes race literally real in-game by applying immutable modifiers to character ability scores, skills, and other characteristics.” Historian Paul B. Sturtevant goes even further, calling race as a gamified concept “the Original Sin of the Fantasy Genre.”
In his essay, Sturtevant writes that the some D&D’s earliest art featuring the drow appears directly inspired by edgy portrayals of real-life Black actors. One campaign module even riffs on Tina Turner’s appearance in promotional posters for Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome. But, as the public perception of these kinds of problematic, exploitative stereotypes grew, public facing images of the drow changed as well. Sturtevant writes:
Later illustrators of D&D products, perhaps more aware of the optics, have made them a purple-black or dusky-grey-black. But let’s be real. They have black skin. If you can’t see the problems with this, I can’t help you.

Making “races” like orcs and dark elves inherently evil does two things. First, it presents a world in which good and evil are so simplistic that an entire culture, race, or species can be inherently evil. If someone were to transpose that way of thinking onto cultures or races today, it could lead to the worst sort of prejudice.

Race as a gamified concept was present in the 5th edition of D&D when it launched in 2014. Wizards of the Coast once again cast the drow — as well as the orcs, and the vistani — as inherently evil. A reckoning came for the publisher after receiving pressure on social media and amid the backdrop of the 2020 Black Lives Matter protests. Last year, the company issued a formal apology and promised to make changes to its mechanics and to its lore. Alternate rules for race were added to the game with the publication of Tasha’s Cauldron of Everything, and alterations were made to the description of the drow and other races in the game.

Now, Salvatore is making what he says are much-needed changes of his own.

“I can’t tell you how many letters I’ve gotten over the years, from people who have said, ‘Thank you for Drizzt.’” Salvatore said. “‘I finally have someone who looks like me.’ On the one hand, you have that. But on the other hand, if the drow are being portrayed as evil, that’s a trope that has to go away, be buried under the deepest pit, and never brought out again. I was unaware of that. I admit it. I was oblivious.”

“This is something I hope more younger people can understand,” Salvatore, who is 62 years old and white, continued. “You’re seeing all this stuff and it’s obvious to you. If you grew up in the ‘60s and ‘70s, it wouldn’t have been obvious. Some things are obvious, but it’s the subtle things that you learn about as you continue to grow and learn. And now, finally, we’re seeing it being played out there in the correct way with people saying, ‘This is bullshit.’ And I love it, and I feel like I’m growing.”

As a result, the canonical image of the drow is growing. A new website, launched by Wizards in May, expands the drow into three different factions. What fans previously understood to be the only drow in the Forgotten Realms — evil elves living in the underground city of Menzoberranzan — still exist. These Udadrow are clarified with additional detail revealed over the course of Salvatore’s novels. They are “elves who became tainted” by the demon Lolth’s “insidious teachings.” The Aevendrow, on the other hand, live in the frozen north. They rejected Lolth, thereby “remaining true to their innate integrity.” Meanwhile, the jungle-dwelling Lorendrow “draw their wisdom from the environment; the generosity of earth; the mastery of sky and the complex harmony of the forest.”

The backstory for the Udadrow, Salvatore said, remains consistent with his existing novels. When his next novel comes out on Aug. 3, fans will learn more about how the Aevendrow and the Lorendrow came to be and what they represent. Salvatore said the concept of this drow diaspora was the result of a high-level meeting he had with Wizards of the Coast about four or five years ago, but that no changes were forced upon him.

“Nothing’s being dictated to me,” Salvatore said. “I am not retrofitting or retconning the drow. I am expanding the drow.”

Additionally, he said that no changes are planned for any of the dozens of novels already written about Drizzt and his companions. Salvatore supports that decision, and sees it as a sort of public record of his transformation as an author and as a person.

“These aren’t game books, they’re novels,” Salvatore said. “Novels are supposed to reflect the time period they were written in. [...] There’s no reason to [make any changes], because there’s nothing in my early books philosophically that’s different than who I am today. I’m just more aware of certain things in the books that became problematic. But philosophically, that’s who I am. That’s who I’ve always been. I just try to be better.”

Fans and critics alike will get their chance to see just how impactful Salvatore’s changes are when the next Drizzt novel arrives on Aug. 3. You can pre-order Starlight Enclave at your local bookseller and online, or directly from R.A. Salvatore’s personal website.

https://www.polygon.com/22585687/du...atore-drizzt-black-controversy-race-interview

Sigh.

Generic-Giant-Spider

“I can’t tell you how many letters I’ve gotten over the years, from people who have said, ‘Thank you for Drizzt.’” Salvatore told Polygon. “‘I finally have someone who looks like me.’

We wuz Drowz n shiet.

Bara

Arcane
Futher reinforcing Salvatore is a hack.

He's completley out of ideas and desperetly trying to come up with anything nowadays.

Like all of Drizzit's friends are back from the dead via reincarnation...

Alex

Arcane
Despite their popularity among fans of genre fiction, Dungeons & Dragons’ The Legend of Drizzt novels have been fairly criticized for reinforcing racist fantasy tropes. R.A. Salvatore, the creator of Drizzt, tells Polygon that the time has come to set things right.

Salvatore’s next novel, Starlight Enclave, will expand the franchise into new territories. At the same time, it will broaden the identity of the drow, the race of dark-skinned elves that have been a part of the original role-playing game since the 1970s. It’s a change to the drow that’s part of a larger reckoning with race in Wizards of the Coast’s D&D and Magic: The Gathering properties. Salvatore isn’t reluctant to be part of that change, which he says is long overdue.

“I did it because it’s the right thing to do,” Salvatore told Polygon in an exclusive interview. “It’s an update that was greatly needed — for things that I didn’t even know were a problem when I first wrote the books.”

The Legend of Drizzt began in 1988 with The Crystal Shard, Salvatore’s first published novel. It tells the story of a drow named Drizzt Do’Urden and his adventures among the inhabitants of Icewind Dale, a northern region in D&D’s Forgotten Realms setting. While the humans, dwarves, and other fantasy creatures that inhabit the Dale present as vaguely Nordic or Viking, Drizzt has black skin. That feature, which marks him as a member of an inherently violent and untrustworthy race of elves, casts him as the other and invariably sets him at odds with his neighbors.

Savatore says this othering was always his intent. What he did not fully comprehend when he created the character, he said, was how Drizzt’s blackness would contribute to how that othering was perceived by his audience. Today, the black-as-other and related tropes are widely viewed as a problematic narrative devices. But they’re also a symptom of longstanding issues with the lore of D&D.

Since its inception in the 1970s, the game has codified racism, in the form of strict inequalities between its fantasy races, within its ruleset. As writer and game designer James Mendez Hodes wrote in 2019, “D&D, like Tolkien, makes race literally real in-game by applying immutable modifiers to character ability scores, skills, and other characteristics.” Historian Paul B. Sturtevant goes even further, calling race as a gamified concept “the Original Sin of the Fantasy Genre.”
In his essay, Sturtevant writes that the some D&D’s earliest art featuring the drow appears directly inspired by edgy portrayals of real-life Black actors. One campaign module even riffs on Tina Turner’s appearance in promotional posters for Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome. But, as the public perception of these kinds of problematic, exploitative stereotypes grew, public facing images of the drow changed as well. Sturtevant writes:
Later illustrators of D&D products, perhaps more aware of the optics, have made them a purple-black or dusky-grey-black. But let’s be real. They have black skin. If you can’t see the problems with this, I can’t help you.

Making “races” like orcs and dark elves inherently evil does two things. First, it presents a world in which good and evil are so simplistic that an entire culture, race, or species can be inherently evil. If someone were to transpose that way of thinking onto cultures or races today, it could lead to the worst sort of prejudice.

Race as a gamified concept was present in the 5th edition of D&D when it launched in 2014. Wizards of the Coast once again cast the drow — as well as the orcs, and the vistani — as inherently evil. A reckoning came for the publisher after receiving pressure on social media and amid the backdrop of the 2020 Black Lives Matter protests. Last year, the company issued a formal apology and promised to make changes to its mechanics and to its lore. Alternate rules for race were added to the game with the publication of Tasha’s Cauldron of Everything, and alterations were made to the description of the drow and other races in the game.

“I can’t tell you how many letters I’ve gotten over the years, from people who have said, ‘Thank you for Drizzt.’” Salvatore said. “‘I finally have someone who looks like me.’ On the one hand, you have that. But on the other hand, if the drow are being portrayed as evil, that’s a trope that has to go away, be buried under the deepest pit, and never brought out again. I was unaware of that. I admit it. I was oblivious.”

“This is something I hope more younger people can understand,” Salvatore, who is 62 years old and white, continued. “You’re seeing all this stuff and it’s obvious to you. If you grew up in the ‘60s and ‘70s, it wouldn’t have been obvious. Some things are obvious, but it’s the subtle things that you learn about as you continue to grow and learn. And now, finally, we’re seeing it being played out there in the correct way with people saying, ‘This is bullshit.’ And I love it, and I feel like I’m growing.”

As a result, the canonical image of the drow is growing. A new website, launched by Wizards in May, expands the drow into three different factions. What fans previously understood to be the only drow in the Forgotten Realms — evil elves living in the underground city of Menzoberranzan — still exist. These Udadrow are clarified with additional detail revealed over the course of Salvatore’s novels. They are “elves who became tainted” by the demon Lolth’s “insidious teachings.” The Aevendrow, on the other hand, live in the frozen north. They rejected Lolth, thereby “remaining true to their innate integrity.” Meanwhile, the jungle-dwelling Lorendrow “draw their wisdom from the environment; the generosity of earth; the mastery of sky and the complex harmony of the forest.”

The backstory for the Udadrow, Salvatore said, remains consistent with his existing novels. When his next novel comes out on Aug. 3, fans will learn more about how the Aevendrow and the Lorendrow came to be and what they represent. Salvatore said the concept of this drow diaspora was the result of a high-level meeting he had with Wizards of the Coast about four or five years ago, but that no changes were forced upon him.

“Nothing’s being dictated to me,” Salvatore said. “I am not retrofitting or retconning the drow. I am expanding the drow.”

Additionally, he said that no changes are planned for any of the dozens of novels already written about Drizzt and his companions. Salvatore supports that decision, and sees it as a sort of public record of his transformation as an author and as a person.

“These aren’t game books, they’re novels,” Salvatore said. “Novels are supposed to reflect the time period they were written in. [...] There’s no reason to [make any changes], because there’s nothing in my early books philosophically that’s different than who I am today. I’m just more aware of certain things in the books that became problematic. But philosophically, that’s who I am. That’s who I’ve always been. I just try to be better.”

Fans and critics alike will get their chance to see just how impactful Salvatore’s changes are when the next Drizzt novel arrives on Aug. 3. You can pre-order Starlight Enclave at your local bookseller and online, or directly from R.A. Salvatore’s personal website.

https://www.polygon.com/22585687/du...atore-drizzt-black-controversy-race-interview

Sigh.

Sorry, but I am not reading all that. Is Drizzt a strong trans-woman now?

Caim

Arcane

Sigh.
Sorry, but I am not reading all that. Is Drizzt a strong trans-woman now?
Nope. Back in the day Drow were small so Drizzt was a towering gigachad amongst them, but somewhere along the lines (I suspect the move to 3e) the Drow got bigger and Drizzt stayed stuck as a 5'4" manlet.

Vapid

Learned
Since most groids are semiliterate at best, it's only a matter of time before all books are deemed racist.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Refuse to participate in any tabletop group that does not acknowledge Drow are always evil and that is what makes them fun.

Morblot

Aberrant Member | Star Trek V Apologist
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
The thing is, Salvatore actually described the evil drow society pretty well in his earlier books. Constant backstabbing, torture, enslaving other species, women as clerics and men as mages...

I'm not saying it was high art or anything but still it's sad to see them throw it all away.

Bara

Arcane
Nah they're not throwing it away. At least not yet because they know the evil drow society is a highlight and sexy drow women sell still even now.

It's just that their going to heavily reinforce two other drow socities exist to go quite litterally "NotAllDrow."

As for Salvatore what talent had in telling stories has assuredly decayed. I might have given this a chance as it's introducing something new in books instead of just treading old ground if he didn't reincarnate and bring back all of drizzits friends and foes.

After he did that I knew he's just going to milk these characters to death and never ever evolve them again.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Like when there are rules for classes, I get it. Rules for combat maneuvers, grappling, ship combat, etc. I get it.
Rules for twenty something hot mage academy romance, etc.? Ugh..

There is merit to codifying this form of social interaction, but D&D is not the kind of game to do it in. Let's be perfectly honest here, any notable social interactions are usually done by the bard or party face character. Even then it boils down to "getting a key NPC to totally break character so party can get better rewards" kind of deal. I bring this up because something like Legend of the Five Rings has "social combat" and yet it's not exactly what you would think with lack of initiative or health equivalents. There it's more about contested rolls and general results because even success doesn't necessarily mean you get exactly what you wanted vs target's Etiquette. It's kinda wishy-washy to explain considering you have dedicated Courtiers that engage in it and choosing to run a game like that is something completely different from "let's roll a Ronin party and bash some skulls in".

Not helped by the fact most players couldn't roleplay their way out of a wet paper bag and would just roll dice to skip social encounters.

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
There is merit to codifying this form of social interaction, but D&D is not the kind of game to do it in. Let's be perfectly honest here, any notable social interactions are usually done by the bard or party face character. Even then it boils down to "getting a key NPC to totally break character so party can get better rewards" kind of deal. I bring this up because something like Legend of the Five Rings has "social combat" and yet it's not exactly what you would think with lack of initiative or health equivalents. There it's more about contested rolls and general results because even success doesn't necessarily mean you get exactly what you wanted vs target's Etiquette. It's kinda wishy-washy to explain considering you have dedicated Courtiers that engage in it and choosing to run a game like that is something completely different from "let's roll a Ronin party and bash some skulls in".

This sad, depressing post reveals the truth about the state of tabletop as is.
There is much negativity in all you're saying, and it all owes itself to a single thing: storytelling became slave to dogshit players.

Not helped by the fact most players couldn't roleplay their way out of a wet paper bag and would just roll dice to skip social encounters.

Exactly. Not sure if intended, but this is the linchpin of the whole argument.
Herein lies the rub: what (autistic) codexers like to call 'theater-play' or 'improv' is actually the the exact essence of RPG. It's the ACT of the individual (player) under constraint of specific circumstances and rules (world), not a bunch of arbitrary numbers on a piece of paper.

It is something a videogame will never be able to accomplish and something that can only be done by living, breathing human beings.
A satisfiable amount of desire to act has always been expected. Things that could be resolved with ACTING (see: action) were not resolved with dice-rolls in the early days of tabletop (and now, OSR). Rolling dice when you can avoid it always constitutes LESS play and agency than ACTING.

The vile influence of videogames and 'systemic play' (as well as forums like this, to an extent) has resulted in a shift in the playerbase that has led to passivity and 'just sitting back and letting the dice determine what happens'. NOT what an RPG is.

Last edited:

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
The point is simple:

- Having players who are shit at acting is one thing (they can and WILL improve).
- Having players who DON'T WANT to act is something else altogether.

It's an uphill fight, but striving for having better players is worth the effort. There is, unfortunately, a massive playerbase for D&D (the system) due to Crit Role, so it can seem hard to wade through their numbers. DO NOT GIVE UP- DO NOT DEGRADE ANYTHING YOU BUILD. Never make the campaign you spend hundreds of hours on deteriorate into nothing but dice rolls.
Players can't interact with the local innkeeper that you wrote and is probably more complicated and real as a person than ANYTHING in their bio? GET RID OF THEM. They're fuckin worthless and not worth even 1/100 of the time you will be spending on them.

Morblot

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
I still shudder when I think about the times I participated in Pathfinder Society games. I was lucky if I stumbled upon a table with just one other person who tried even rudimentarily to roleplay their character; most of the so-called players just messed around on their phones until it was time to roll a skill check or it was their turn in combat. I have no idea what they got out of it. It was absolutely dreadful.

But, to be fair, the scenarios themselves hardly ever contained any meaningful content beside arbitrary skill checks and mandatory combats. Even the "roleplay-heavy" ones were like that, the only difference was that you'd be rolling Diplomacy instead of Survival or whatever, it didn't matter at all what anyone actually said.

Fuck, so much time wasted on something so worthless, still makes me mad years after.

Larianshill

Arbiter
Maybe this guy.

960x540

Morblot

Patron
Maybe this guy.

960x540

Funny they had to remove that episode from every streaming service on Earth but the Friends episode where Ross gets a spray tan is kept, nevermind the dozens of episodes with jokes on the expense of homos.

(Both episodes are quite poor so it's no big loss, just ridiculous.)

Larianshill

Arbiter
Funny they had to remove that episode from every streaming service on Earth but the Friends episode where Ross gets a spray tan is kept, nevermind the dozens of episodes with jokes on the expense of homos.
Of course they did. In fact, I've thought about them removing it just yesterday, as I was reading some retard's tirade about "dreaded SJWs are not coming for all your movies, nobody is cancelling Tropic Thunder, they mock blackface there, people understand nuance".

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom