Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

D&D 5E Discussion

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
No inequality allowed between races that don't actually exist.

Equality cultism ruins everything. Having flaws makes a certain race or character far more interesting to be played in table and removing it due equality cultism is ruining the game.

Larianshill

Arbiter
Do you guys actually know the new drow lore? In the new lore, drow have those highly visible spider-themed tattoos that spontaneously appear on their bodies, if they're devoted to Lolth. The more devoted (meaning "evil") they are, the more visible these markings are. Meaning that the universe is helpfully pointing out which drow you can kill guilt-free - you just need to take a look what their skin looks like.

https://dnd.dragonmag.com/2021/05/21/beyond-the-underdark-secrets-of-the-drow/content.html

Here, take a look.
One of the Franchise art team’s key tasks when expanding drow society was to differentiate between those elves who remained on the surface and those who followed the Spider queen into the Underdark all those centuries ago. The challenge wasn’t simply to align the udadrow visually with Lolth in a way that went beyond their clothing and architecture, it was to make a distinction between the drow who are onboard with Lolth’s agenda and those who were not susceptible to her corrupting influence.

“Drow elf skin is clear of any markings as a rule,” Lake says. “Lolth is the corruptor and her markings, Lolth’s Embrace, are visual evidence of that corruption. And not every drow has them. Lolth cult members are ‘gifted’ those markings as a result of their connection to the deity. It was an opportunity to introduce more of the spider theme in a visual way.”

“Any Drow that has Lolth’s favor gets these markings that creep up over the skin. The more you embrace her teachings, the more pronounced those markings become. But if you fall out of favor, they start to fade,” Daniel adds, revealing that only Lolth’s personal connection can add the marks. “You’ll see Malice Do’Urden has very pronounced markings but it’s not a family trait because her son Drizzt is seen without them.”

Last edited:

Xorphitus

Scholar
Thought 4e was the shittiest edition but then D&D 5.5 Faggots&Furries happened. Can't wait for 6e to hit the shelves and make 5.5 and Pathfinder 2e look like literally Hitler with the amount of sjw bullshit. WOTC will probably take down everything prior to 5.5 and claim D&D never existed until now when the realized orcs, drow, bugbears, and other subhuman fantasy niggers are people too! They can have a whole chapter about how sex was all made up. Be the wheelchair tiefling non binary Strixhaven Homecoming Winner you were meant to be.

Generic-Giant-Spider

rants like an old black man sitting on a rocking chair outside on the porch

I told ya lil niggas this 5E shit was no good from the get-go. Wanting to make "D&D for everyone to enjoy." Bullshit. To Hit Armor Class 0, nigga. Greatest retard filter to ever exist. Now look what happens when you move away from all that, got these snot-nosed honkeys out there goin' on about, "but it's about the fun of the game, the roleplay and wonder!" Nigga fuck that. D&D is at its core unfun and makes you start questioning why you even have the friends you do.

Can't wait to see what 6E will bring the world. Fuckin' retard mindflayers on the agenda next? Hahaha!

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Xorphitus, 5E is extremely popular. Even if Woketards decide to kill it for 6E, a lot of 5E clones will be made. Just like with 4E, WoTC tried really hard to kill 3.5E, the 3.5E forum got nuked, some tried to shame people and say that if you like 3.5E, 3.5E books stopped being printed, and everyone moved to Pathfinder. Hell, we can play retroclones of very old editions with new adventures being made for it. Hyperborea, LotFP, S&W and many others (here is a list > https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Retroclone )

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Xorphitus, 5E is extremely popular. Even if Woketards decide to kill it for 6E, a lot of 5E clones will be made. Just like with 4E, WoTC tried really hard to kill 3.5E, the 3.5E forum got nuked, some tried to shame people and say that if you like 3.5E, 3.5E books stopped being printed, and everyone moved to Pathfinder. Hell, we can play retroclones of very old editions with new adventures being made for it. Hyperborea, LotFP, S&W and many others (here is a list > https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Retroclone )

Problem surrounding this is people who are not really into the hobby tend look at editions as if they're final products you must adhere to blindly or something. Unlike most other types of entertainment (books, movies, etc) that roleplaying game you buy at the shop is just a baseline for you to start with. Sure, official publications expand on it, but if you really wanted to in this particular case you could [legally] get the 5E Basic Rules for free, look shit up online and not spend a dime while playing the game because your creativity is the limit of how far you can go. Of course it's in the publisher's best interest to discontinue old editions once the new one is out as they need to push said new shit. That doesn't mean those old editions cease to exist or that people aren't playing them anymore. This forms the backbone of braindead and zealous side when it comes to Edition Wars™ rather than people who will contrast and compare actual merits and issues, though.

Shit, some would argue OSR is a backhanded pimp slap in the face of trying to treat roleplaying games as your typical CONSUME NEW PRODUCT approach. I guess only time will tell.

Morblot

Aberrant Member | Star Trek V Apologist
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Xorphitus, 5E is extremely popular. Even if Woketards decide to kill it for 6E, a lot of 5E clones will be made.

Lmao imagine being retarded enough to want to clone 5e, the blandest of all editions :D

At least the pre-Hasbro editions are loveable in their jankiness. 5e is just boring in all ways and owes more than it can ever repay to those Critical Role cunts and the timely appearance of Stranger Things.

nikolokolus

Arcane
I feel badly for all of you guys that can't find people to play with that like to play other games, because there's so many better games out there that do D&D style fantasy better than the McDonald's of FRPGs and don't explicitly (or implicitly) seem to focus all of their energy on catering to the purple-hair set: DCC RPG, Hackmaster, Into the Unknown, Myhras: Classic Fantasy, and more retroclones and neo-clones than you can shake a stick at.

SoupNazi

I feel badly for all of you guys that can't find people to play with that like to play other games, because there's so many better games out there that do D&D style fantasy better than the McDonald's of FRPGs and don't explicitly (or implicitly) seem to focus all of their energy on catering to the purple-hair set: DCC RPG, Hackmaster, Into the Unknown, Myhras: Classic Fantasy, and more retroclones and neo-clones than you can shake a stick at.
Way to rub it in man

Bara

Arcane
Wotc's article on canon

THE GAME’S LONG HISTORY IS KNOWN TO US.

Those among us who are fortunate enough to become shepherds or stewards of the D&D game must train ourselves to become art and lore experts so that we know when we’re being faithful to the game’s past and when we’re moving in a new direction. We decide, based on our understanding of the game’s history and audience, what artwork or lore to pull forward, what artwork or lore needs to change, and what artwork or lore should be buried so deep that it never again sees the light of day. We have a couple guiding principles:

• If the artwork holds up or the lore has been true in every past edition of the game, we think twice about changing it.
  • If the artwork or lore hasn’t withstood the test of time, we can update or discard it.
The number of eyes on a stock beholder has been consistent throughout D&D’s history. No need to meddle with perfection, I say. On the other hand, if you’re familiar with old maps of Waterdeep, you might recall that one of its seedier avenues was named Slut Street. When we updated the map for Waterdeep: Dragon Heist, we gave that street a new name. The old name was never good to begin with and does not withstand the test of time.

Rest of the article was inoffensive but man did that bit I bolded rub me the wrong way.

Also really slut street was so bad it had to be memory holed? Yeah its one extrealy unimportant thing but if this is where they draw the line imagine what else they've been cutting or will cut going forward.

Just let that be what uncouth people or criminals call it. It adds a lot to the area and you can instantly imagine what a street with that name could be like.

But whatever so long as I can get unaltered copies off drive thru rpg of the old stuff I can thankfully forever ignore 5e lore and preserve what they won't. Worst case scenario just get the pdfs elsewhere and off to lulu!

deuxhero

Arcane
There's been multiple streets named "Gropecunt Lane" in the UK. "Slut Street" is a perfectly valid street name in a setting where there's brothels everywhere and everyone speaks English, and actually tame by comparison.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
6e will remove most race disparities, vastly simplify spellcasting, give martials anime movesets and introduce an app with microtransactions.

Watch this prophecy be fulfilled.

Mortmal

Arcane
6e will remove most race disparities, vastly simplify spellcasting, give martials anime movesets and introduce an app with microtransactions.

App with microtransactions ? you already have that its called D&d beyond...They just need to push it a bit further with their virtual tabletop. If they ever succeeded to put it online.

Morblot

Aberrant Member | Star Trek V Apologist
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Beyond isn't made by WotC, is it? I mean, from what I remember, it was a pretty good toolset for player and DM alike, and that definitely does not sound like something WotC would do.

infidel

StarInfidel
Developer
Strap Yourselves In
Beyond isn't made by WotC, is it? I mean, from what I remember, it was a pretty good toolset for player and DM alike, and that definitely does not sound like something WotC would do.
upload_2021-7-31_19-55-21.png

upload_2021-7-31_19-56-6.png

upload_2021-7-31_19-56-32.png

:takemymoney:
The rest is fine, I guess, if you ignore the fact that you have to re-buy stuff on D&D Beyond separately (afaik), but those digital dice, man :lol: Muricans have way too much money.

SoupNazi

The rest is fine, I guess, if you ignore the fact that you have to re-buy stuff on D&D Beyond separately (afaik), but those digital dice, man :lol: Muricans have way too much money.
You don't need to rebuy. I have the Essential kits in physical form and it included a coupon for all its content on Beyond. The ruleset, the adventure (Dragon of Icespire Peak), all.

infidel

StarInfidel
Developer
Strap Yourselves In
You don't need to rebuy. I have the Essential kits in physical form and it included a coupon for all its content on Beyond. The ruleset, the adventure (Dragon of Icespire Peak), all.

Okay, what if it's DTRPG?

Codex Year of the Donut
The older I get, the more I realize that more arcane mechanics like THAC0 are in fact -- potentially unintentional -- good design in that they keep out a specific kind of person from the hobby.

SoupNazi

Not sure if I'm misunderstanding, but DriveTHruRPG doesn't even sell 5E stuff, does it?

Codex Year of the Donut

one of the books already gives rules to remove race disparities iirc, they replace them with culture bonuses or someshit
a elf with 'dwarf culture' would therefore get dwarf bonuses, makes perfect sense

infidel

StarInfidel
Developer
Strap Yourselves In

Not sure if I'm misunderstanding, but DriveTHruRPG doesn't even sell 5E stuff, does it?

Oh, right, sorry. My mistake.

Eldagusto

Educated

Yeah I think Wizards of the Coast have been very strict about no digital products for the core books to slow down piracy, but I think they allowed side books to be digital.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom