Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

D&D 5E Discussion

RangerBoo

Arcane
The Homeless Paradise of Washington State

It is the gayest shit! I loathe this type of shit from the bottom of my cold black heart. I want to play a campaign where I traverse a lost and ancient dungeon inhabited by a Mind Flayer and its thralls and get the treasure or save the day not do gay high school shit where I go to the mall and pick a dress and hope Billy the school hunk asks me out to the prom. Always, always with the fucking prom with SJW's. As someone on Twitter brilliantly stated:
SJW's peaked in high school and will forever be fixated on prom. It's sad that they've done nothing else in life worth using as source material. Never overcame conflict, never traveled, never worked a hard job. Forever looking back.
It is pathetic and speaks to how sad and pathetic these SJW freaks are.

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
And no, dwarf women don't have beards.
No ifs or buts about it, IT HAS BEEN SETTLED.
If Tolkien disagrees, tell him I fucked his mom and desecrated his gay dead corpse.

Larianshill

Arbiter
I don't think Strixhaven "new mechanics" will be any worse or deeper than Xanathar's rules.

4bFjRph.jpeg

All in all, it will be a Harry Potter sourcebook. We have never been the target audience, they were.

I'm more worried about the new fairy adventure. It's advertised as having non-combat way to solve every encounter, and I'm skeptical. This game does not have detailed rules on anything other than combat. What will the end result even look like? Essentially, freeform adventure?

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
And no, dwarf women don't have beards.
No ifs or buts about it, IT HAS BEEN SETTLED.
If Tolkien disagrees, tell him I fucked his mom and desecrated his gay dead corpse.

If I had a single gold brofist, I'd give it to you for this post.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
We have never been the target audience, they were.
bmiVPpT.jpg

What will the end result even look like? Essentially, freeform adventure?
Yes, or worse. A free form adventure whose only rules are based on gay woke politics.

Ever seen what the Sims looks like these days?

kowqwFH.png

You pick a gender and not a sex. You can choose a masculine or a feminine body type. You can decide whether or not your character pees standing up. This is ultimately what awaits D&D and every other medium. These are the only stats they really care about.

How is Alignment in 5E? It's watered down to the point that it's rumored they're going to phase it out entirely, and it's completely absent from BG3 (though its archetypes were obviously used in the writing of the NPCs themselves).

I almost expect even the concept of races to eventually be done away with. You pick ear shape, skin color, whether or not your characters have horns, tails, sex organs etc. And yes, of course most of the classes will be watered down to nothing as well.

It's the bad end we've all known was coming for a long time.

:betrayed:

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
It's advertised as having non-combat way to solve every encounter, and I'm skeptical. This game does not have detailed rules on anything other than combat. What will the end result even look like? Essentially, freeform adventure?
How can you be worried about non-combat ways to solve encounters? It's a circus with fairies, there will probably be riddles to help you understand what a monster wants to avoid a fight. This is partially already in other adventures (for example, in Rime of the Frostmaiden, you can avoid fighting a group of orcs if you give them something related to Gruumsh), just not for ALL the encounters.

RangerBoo

Arcane
I don't think Strixhaven "new mechanics" will be any worse or deeper than Xanathar's rules.

4bFjRph.jpeg

All in all, it will be a Harry Potter sourcebook. We have never been the target audience, they were.

I'm more worried about the new fairy adventure. It's advertised as having non-combat way to solve every encounter, and I'm skeptical. This game does not have detailed rules on anything other than combat. What will the end result even look like? Essentially, freeform adventure?
This looks gay. This reads like a role playing session from Tumblr. The people who wrote this are so out of touch with what kids actually do in high school. All the kids did in my high school was go into the woods behind the school and either smoke weed, drop acid, have quickies or blew each other before class. Also, the "embarrassing nicknames" for other kids wasn't something like "Puddle Drinker" or "Bench Slayer", it was either fag, homo, queer, lesbo or tranny. If you are going to recreate the high school experience then do it in all of its edgy and bigoted glory.

TumblingTorin

Educated
I am so goddamn tired of these fucks putting prom into everything. Anytime a team is super woke, they are gonna find a way to add a prom in it. These people are obsessed with it like it's the best thing ever!

I get it though. I understand why they are obsessed with prom. It's just like the Japanese's obsession with high school. It's the last time they weren't completely miserable, before adulthood came and gave them grown-up problems like rent, work, and generally trying to survive in this harsh world. But at least in Japan, they built their stories and settings around the characters being high schoolers. Here, they just shove it in any pre-established setting, even if the stories don't normally focus on that type of stuff.

Main characters are kids? Ok, I understand.
X-men? Uhh, well, they are calling it a gala and it takes place in a school so... I guess?...
D&D? Fuck me, you are just trying to find ways to put a goddamn prom in it aren't you? When's the book on the evils of capitalism in Faerun?

I just see this happen so fucking often, I'm waiting for them to find a way to add a prom or gala in something like Lovecraft now.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
This looks gay. This reads like a role playing session from Tumblr. The people who wrote this are so out of touch with what kids actually do in high school. All the kids did in my high school was go into the woods behind the school and either smoke weed, drop acid, have quickies or blew each other before class. Also, the "embarrassing nicknames" for other kids wasn't something like "Puddle Drinker" or "Bench Slayer", it was either fag, homo, queer, lesbo or tranny. If you are going to to recreate the high school experience then do it in all of its edgy and bigoted glory.
That has nothing to do with the upcoming book. It has already been published in Xanathar's Guide to Everything and it's a list of events that can happen if you choose the "carousing" downtime activity.

RangerBoo

Arcane
That has nothing to do with the upcoming book. It has already been published in Xanathar's Guide to Everything and it's a list of events that can happen if you choose the "carousing" downtime activity.
Oh, well that just makes this worse. I can't imagine how a bunch of out of touch 30 to 40 year olds from the West Coast are going to write stuff about high school or college. I imagine that it is going to go something like this:

:negative:

Morblot

Aberrant Member | Star Trek V Apologist
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
For the DM here. Do you use leveling by XP or by milestone?

XP obviously, and I expect the PCs to earn every single point. Milestones are probably ok if you're running some sort of "story" or whatever but in my campaign the story is what the PCs choose to do in the setting I've prepared for them. If they want to spend the session shopping or talking to random NPCs, fine by me, but don't expect to earn any XP for that shit.

RangerBoo

Arcane
I blame Critical Role and that obnoxious faggot Matt Mercer for all this. His piss ant little group opened the flood gates for posers and freaks to come into the table top community. Now we end up getting Tumblr and Steven Universe shit into D&D. Also, Critical Role is for fags. My God are their sessions so lame. Asking grass for consent to touch you, what kind of gay shit is that? Grow a pair of balls Matt you weak effeminate excuse of a man.

Lhynn

Arcane
It is the gayest shit! I loathe this type of shit from the bottom of my cold black heart. I want to play a campaign where I traverse a lost and ancient dungeon inhabited by a Mind Flayer and its thralls and get the treasure or save the day not do gay high school shit where I go to the mall and pick a dress and hope Billy the school hunk asks me out to the prom. Always, always with the fucking prom with SJW's. As someone on Twitter brilliantly stated:
SJW's peaked in high school and will forever be fixated on prom. It's sad that they've done nothing else in life worth using as source material. Never overcame conflict, never traveled, never worked a hard job. Forever looking back.
It is pathetic and speaks to how sad and pathetic these SJW freaks are.

I remember there being a adventurer academy campaign a friend DMed a few years ago. We didnt have ballroom dances or romances though. We just bullied other students in the academy (And almost got bullied ourselves) and went to battlefield type events where we fought otherwise friendly npcs in the same class with extreme prejudice.

It was alright, theres something inherently fun about bullying.

RangerBoo

Arcane
I remember there being a adventurer academy campaign a friend DMed a few years ago. We didnt have ballroom dances or romances though. We just bullied other students in the academy (And almost got bullied ourselves) and went to battlefield type events where we fought otherwise friendly npcs in the same class with extreme prejudice.

What do you bet that the campaign is going to ban players from bullying, since bullying is also a big thing that SJW's always harp on about. Damn shame as bullying the Tieflings, Elves and Orcs sounds like fun. Into the locker you go hellspawn.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In

What do you bet that the campaign is going to ban players from bullying, since bullying is also a big thing that SJW's always harp on about. Damn shame as bullying the Tieflings, Elves and Orcs sounds like fun. Into the locker you go hellspawn.
Probably, yeah.

If anyone has ever heard of AI Dungeon, it was/is a text adventure based on AI that was supposed to let you do anything you wanted. And it did. You could do PG stuff like larp in your favorite book or TV show, but you could also do any dark thing your mind could imagine. Go back in time and help Hitler win World War 2, carry out a genocide against elves, rape, maim, dismember anyone or anything.

But someone (it's debatable who) on either the AI company's end, the or the actual game company's end got really butthurt that fake characters were being abused, so they started reading people's PRIVATE stories and permabanning even paying users for it. Eventually, they had the AI try to autodetect bannable content and auto-ban people. First they said it was only for stuff involving minors (or even mentioning terms that MIGHT be sexual anywhere near the mention of what MIGHT be a minor - eg, someone got banned for writing about a 15-year-old laptop). Then it became about anything from harassment (yes, of fake characters), to excessive gore, to racism or sexism (again, yes, against fictional characters and races). Though that stuff isn't easily detectable, so no auto-ban for it.

The point is, this control freak mentality infects other media, even if SJWism isn't the source. As long as there is someone in management who has the ability and the willingness to screw with you, they will try their best to ruin your fun if they decide they don't like it.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
You guys actually buy the books? Everybody knows the best way to play 5e is by homebrewing the rules to look suspiciously like 3.5, only allow dwarfs, and only allow clerics or barbarians as class choices.

Everything else is inferior.

Stella Brando

Arcane
All the kids did in my high school was go into the woods behind the school and either smoke weed, drop acid, have quickies or blew each other before class.

How did you feel when you went to university, and started studying along-side girls? Did you keep up with the same sort of hijinks?

RangerBoo

Arcane
All the kids did in my high school was go into the woods behind the school and either smoke weed, drop acid, have quickies or blew each other before class.

How did you feel when you went to university, and started studying along-side girls? Did you keep up with the same sort of hijinks?
Oh no, I didn't go to university. My parents forbid it. They saw what was happening to all their old friends daughters when they went to university and were like, "Yeah, uh, no. Just go to community college or a trade school. At least then you won't turn into some blue haired histrionic that hates us." Best advice I ever got.

Caim

Arcane

Oh no, I didn't go to university. My parents forbid it. They saw what was happening to all their old friends daughters when they went to university and were like, "Yeah, uh, no. Just go to community college or a trade school. At least then you won't turn into some blue haired histrionic that hates us." Best advice I ever got.
Pretty good odds that a trade school will get you a better, more useful and higher paying job than one requiring a university degree.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Everybody knows the best way to play 5e is by homebrewing the rules to look suspiciously like 3.5, only allow dwarfs, and only allow clerics or barbarians as class choices.

Most people on codex would agree with you and believe that Dungeons & Dragons should be Manlets & Kobolds, all about low level dwarf clerics, fighters and barbarians.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom