Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

DA2 has leaked

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
JESUS FUCKING TAP DANCING CHRIST! DONT USE RED AND GREEN TEXT!!!1
pfa,e'L:kfa

Captain Shrek

Kem0sabe said:
blah blah blah vomit blah blah blah

I can't believe that anyone can write a post this long and say nothing we didn't already know.

SPOIL IT ALREADY.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Captain Shrek said:
Kem0sabe said:
blah blah blah vomit blah blah blah

I can't believe that anyone can write a post this long and say nothing we didn't already know.

SPOIL IT ALREADY.
Instead of bitching, you could ask him what do you want to know about the game. So maybe that way he will tell you something you don't know.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
J_J_M said:
Kem0sabe said:
. The dialog-wheel... i like it.
Skimmed through your post and saw this. Stopped reading right there. Kthxbye.

I dont get the "dialog wheel" hate. The Witcher was considered by the community as pretty hardcore, and still the main character didn't repeat exactly what one would choose from the dialog choices.

DA2's system is similar and essential if you want a voiced character, unless you fancy having half the screen filled with the multiple dialog choices all written down nice and proper.

Personally, i prefer the traditional silent protagonist/written dialog approach, of DA: O, BG, etc, but the dialog wheel is easy to "digest."

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
It's simple. the dialogue wheel hate is not dialogue wheel hate it is BIO hate.

BIo does dialogue wheel and it is hated.

Obsidian does dialogue wheel, and it is best thing ever, and 'oirginal'.

LMFAO

P.S. Good mini review. I may end up agreeing or disagreeingw ith you but atb least your opinion is logical and not just hate fo hate sake.

I am mightly dissapoint about lack of non combat skills. We're back to the shitty BG era. :(

Kem0sabe

Arcane
herostratus said:
How do they explain that qunari have suddenly gotten horns?

They dont, but i feel the retcon is for a good cause. :)

You have to see the Qunari in motion, its hard to explain, but the Arishok in DA 2 is simply amazing every time he gets screen time.

The sense of "menace" and "purpose" in their voice and body language is truly once of the great story elements in the game... i really hope we get a Dragon Age story based on the Qunari.

Captain Shrek

Kem0sabe said:
herostratus said:

You have to see the Qunari in motion, its hard to explain, but the Arishok in DA 2 is simply amazing every time he gets screen time.

The sense of "menace" and "purpose" in their voice and body language is truly once of the great story elements in the game... i really hope we get a Dragon Age story based on the Qunari.

So whats the central plot?

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Or he's not a hypocrite or a retart? r u a hypocrite or a retart? Choose one.

J_J_M

Educated
Kem0sabe said:
J_J_M said:
Kem0sabe said:

I dont get the "dialog wheel" hate. The Witcher was considered by the community as pretty hardcore, and still the main character didn't repeat exactly what one would choose from the dialog choices.

DA2's system is similar and essential if you want a voiced character, unless you fancy having half the screen filled with the multiple dialog choices all written down nice and proper.

Personally, i prefer the traditional silent protagonist/written dialog approach, of DA: O, BG, etc, but the dialog wheel is easy to "digest."
I don't know. The Witcher seems to be hated here quite a bit. Geralt did say what you told him to. Often he added a few lines of his own afterwards.

Dragon Age 2 on the other hand is completely paraphrased. I get the feeling the dialog wheel is a tool to "play" movie clips of Hawke saying something unpredictable. I have no control over him beyond trying to influence his tone of voice. I can't even begin to predict the exact wording "my" character is going to use. This is an ass-backwards system in a role-playing game.

Yes, it's easy to "digest" if you don't expect it to be a RPG.

The hardest thing to accept about is the fact that it's not meant to be an improvement at all. Make no mistake about it, it was brought to Dragon Age because EA is planning to casualize the game, and all the signs point to that. The whole dialogue wheel is a console feature from the ground up (the shape is for analog sticks) and it's meant to cater to the "Call of Duty" audience.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Captain Shrek said:
Kem0sabe said:
herostratus said:

So whats the central plot?

Heavy Spoilers bellow:

Still about 2/3 into the game, so im not 100% on what it will all mean in the endgame, but so far...

- The first act is namely about you getting enough money to climb the social pecking order, and get your family estate / name back. It culminates with you going into the deep roads on a dwarven expedition. (quests -> money to get accepted into expedition -> more money to get recognized. Reminds of the start of BG 2.

- The second act, which i am now finishing, deals with the struggle between the viscount (city ruler), the Qunari, and the Chantry.

The viscount wants the Qunari gone, certain elements in the Chantry wants to Qunari dead, and the Qunari are on some sort of Holy mission to retrieve something that was taken from their Arishok.

Lots of political maneuvering and backstabbing, it made for a fun time running quests.

- From what i suspect of the later parts of the game, the Templar's and the Circle are the next plot threads to explore, and especially the erratic behavior of the Templar leader, which leads me to suspect demonic possession.

So far its a power struggle story, with little to no darkspawn involvement, purely Human's being Human (killing each other) :)

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"The whole dialogue wheel is a console feature from the ground up (the shape is for analog sticks) and it's meant to cater to the "Call of Duty" audience."

No.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Volourn said:
"The whole dialogue wheel is a console feature from the ground up (the shape is for analog sticks) and it's meant to cater to the "Call of Duty" audience."

No.
Agreed.

Consoles have nothing to do with this. The dialogue wheel was invented so the faggots don't have to read a full sentence, just 2 words. Unfortunately those people don't care if the character is saying a different thing than they choose on the wheel.

Although the wheel shape was made because of the analogue stick, but it is not the shape what is wrong with it.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
J_J_M said:
Kem0sabe said:
J_J_M said:
Kem0sabe said:

I don't know. The Witcher seems to be hated here quite a bit. Geralt did say what you told him to. Often he added a few lines of his own afterwards.

Dragon Age 2 on the other hand is completely paraphrased. I get the feeling the dialog wheel is a tool to "play" movie clips of Hawke saying something unpredictable. I have no control over him beyond trying to influence his tone of voice. I can't even begin to predict the exact wording "my" character is going to use. This is an ass-backwards system in a role-playing game.

Yes, it's easy to "digest" if you don't expect it to be a RPG.

The hardest thing to accept about is the fact that it's not meant to be an improvement at all. Make no mistake about it, it was brought to Dragon Age because EA is planning to casualize the game, and all the signs point to that. The whole dialogue wheel is a console feature from the ground up (the shape is for analog sticks) and it's meant to cater to the "Call of Duty" audience.

I have a broad taste in RPG's, from Ultima, Wizardry and The infinity engine games to more simplified affairs like Too Human or JRPG's (still consider Final Fantasy Tactics one of the best rpg's made)... oh and the dirty dirty feeling you get from playing such a "simplified" and "streamlined" experience *sarcasm*

For me what makes or breaks an RPG is "Story" and how you impact it. I love choices, i love multiple outcomes more than i appreciated combat mechanics or deep character development.

From Bioware's more complex games, in the form of Baldur's Gate to their more streamlined experiments (which culminated in Jade Empire), i loved them all. Each and everyone one of them provided me with nice (although cliche) stories, interesting characters, and above all... different worlds i could immerse myself in.

As such, i dont restrict my game choices to what some might consider "hardcore rpg's".

Well, im off from work and off to home to make dinner for the misses. Will troll around later. :)

One thing the dialog wheel would've been good for is if the "investigate" tab was where they shoved all their fluff dialog. However there's still some content you'll miss out on if you don't explore every single dialog line, no matter how unrealistic the conversation becomes because of it.

pocahaunted

Arcane
Volourn said:

No.

What a fanboy, how much are they paying you?

It's not Bioware hate at all, I can even enjoy playing their most hated game, Jade Empire.

The dialog wheel is just the dumbest motherfucking shit that was implemented in RPGs - no matter who the developer is, if they implement that shitty system, it detracts from the game. Whether or not the game is total shit or not is another issue altogether, one detractor doesn't imply a full absolute judgment of a game.

Also, it's pretty obvious that this system was implemented to enhance the "immersion" of low attention span ADD retards who can't read more than one full sentence without rolling their eyes and skipping the rest of the dialog/game - they need teh famouze voice actorzz!11one. Having a "dialogue" option based on intent instead of actually commanding the dialogue, which shouldn't ever be limited to dumb shit like "hur dur me smash" and "let's have sex", would be too much for your dear CoDXXVI:ModernSpaceWarfareinDimensionM players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom