Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

DA2 has leaked

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antihero

Liturgist
treave said:
Yeah, it's busted up.
I suppose I'm just getting a little numb to it with all the well-deserved DA2 hate of late.

But I'd say it does actually save time and effort when you're reusing the same assets over and over for most of your quest locations. Copy cave1 from quest1 in toolset, rename it to cave2, repopulate with black darkspawn instead of grey, add a Macguffin, and you're set for that quest2. Isn't that how it goes?
Sure, but you need to at least change the texture set once in a while so the player doesn't notice so easily.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
As for the so called 'short' not a biggie nor should it be to any true RPG fan. Afterall, FO The Holy Grail could be beat within an hour easy, and was a 20-25 hour game MAX if you took your sweet time with it. *shrug*

Volourn said:
As for the so called 'short' not a biggie nor should it be to any true RPG fan. Afterall, FO The Holy Grail could be beat within an hour easy, and was a 20-25 hour game MAX if you took your sweet time with it. *shrug*

Difference is you could only finish Fallout that quickly if you had prior knowledge. A newbie is not going to start playing and be able to do that. Hell, there are people who figured out tricks to beat Morrowind in 7-10 minutes. Again, not going to happen with someone who just got a copy.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Read my whole paragrapgh. The point is FO is short - even if you play it the 'traditional' way it is still one of the shortest Western RPGs on record .. yet it is one of the best.

Length is irrelevant to the quest. Afterall, DA1 was 40-80 hours (some took 100+ others took 20 supposedly).. but the Codex by and large dislike it..

So, the fact that DA2 may be 20-25 hours (or so we're told by some Codexian new fag who probably cheated and whatnot) means squat.

Of course, the Codex has voted that DA2 sucks.. so length should still be irrelevant because Codexers should not be playing it, anyways.

R00fles!

I read the whole thing. I'm not even debating the bigger issue of DA2 right now, and you have a point about Fallout's average length. If all you did was point out it was about 25 hours long (MAX) I wouldn't have responded at all.

I'm just saying I don't understand why you included the 'FO in an hour' remark. There is no similarity between someone who just got a game and finished it naturally (albeit probably rushing), and another game's 'time to beat' that can only be achieved by the epitome of power-gaming and showing your mastery of the game's concepts.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Volourn said:
Read my whole paragrapgh. The point is FO is short - even if you play it the 'traditional' way it is still one of the shortest Western RPGs on record .. yet it is one of the best.

Length is irrelevant to the quest. Afterall, DA1 was 40-80 hours (some took 100+ others took 20 supposedly).. but the Codex by and large dislike it..

So, the fact that DA2 may be 20-25 hours (or so we're told by some Codexian new fag who probably cheated and whatnot) means squat.

Of course, the Codex has voted that DA2 sucks.. so length should still be irrelevant because Codexers should not be playing it, anyways.

R00fles!
I agree that a length of the game doesn't always matter, but there is a limit to that. 20-25 is ok, although I prefer more in an RPG, but 10-15 is rediculously short in this genre.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
It's all numbers. Meaningless numbers. Why is 20-25 ok but 10-15 not? What happens if a game is 19 hours? Is that too short?

the only thing that matter is if the game uses the time wisely to tell its story (or whatever. Beginning, middle, and end.

I've watched 90 minutes movies that suck, I've watched 90 minute movies thata re good.

I've watched 3 hour mvoies that suck, I've watched 90m minute movies are good.

Time is irrelevant.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Volourn said:
It's all numbers. Meaningless numbers. Why is 20-25 ok but 10-15 not? What happens if a game is 19 hours? Is that too short?

the only thing that matter is if the game uses the time wisely to tell its story (or whatever. Beginning, middle, and end.

I've watched 90 minutes movies that suck, I've watched 90 minute movies thata re good.

I've watched 3 hour mvoies that suck, I've watched 90m minute movies are good.

Time is irrelevant.
It matters because you expect a role playing game to have lots of explorable areas, lots of quests, NPCs, and if you can run through it in 10 hours than it means that there is not enough content. It doesn't have to do anything with the story, that part can be good even if the game only lasts for 5 hours.

Qunari invade Kirkwall under the pretense of a wreck

Flemeth's secrets are NOT revealed AT ALL. The game keeps complete mum on the issue.

Hawke is defeats Qunari and becomes champion

Mages Revolt under his guidance

People loose faith in the chantry and start worshiping old gods again

Chantry wants Hawke to declare support for itself to turn people to the Maker

Elves on Sundermount awaken their Gods (DA3)

Hawke manages to quell the blood mage rebellion and Brings mages under chantry leadership again

Hawke gets possessed by Flemeth

FLEMETH IS ANDRASTE

I don't think this sounds so bad tbh.

Of course the execution is likely to be lacking, but just like in DA:O the concept sounds p cool

Captain Shrek

herostratus said:

Of course the execution is likely to be lacking, but just like in DA:O the concept sounds p cool

I am happy you say that. I posted that trollfest on 4chan. Its complete utter bullshit.

IronicNeurotic

Arbiter
herostratus said:

Yeah,....

except that its a mish mash between movie and game plots and the execution hurts thiiiiiss much more if you are a fan of the originals.

This isn't great writing. This is dumb bullshit.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Andyman Messiah said:
Then what happened to that ashes? You know that ashes you could drop dragon blood into, or not. It would be somewhat illogical, as Flameth was supposed to slaughter everyone and change into dragon as a consequence of a great love.
I suppose I should have added "if it's true". It just seems like a typical Bioware plot twist and there were actually a few hints here and there. As for logic, I guess it's just beyond our comprehension. I'm sure there's an explanation, just like Mass Effect has ancient killer spaceships that destroy the universe every 50,000 years just for shits and giggles.[/quote]
I can understand when, in the middle of the summer, they see in the middle of a fog a Cirno sleeping on a frozen lake. Cirno froze lake to have a place where she can sleep.
I can understand a Reapers who have a winter sleep for 50000 years, then wake up, eat stuff have fun, and go to sleep yet again.
What I miss is an info on who they ate 100000 years ago, and why there are not any records/signs about that stuff which happened before. The whole problem is with that horrible lack of attention to details and consistency. Bioware games basically sounds like they were made by children. Look they are this way because we wanted it. Now we wanted... The stuff in ME, or DA looks like they slapped one thing on another without much thought, or creativity. It's not even problem called Gaider can't write, it's problem called Bioware lack artistic ability.

Look at the above example.
There was fog on the lake. That's what frozen lakes are doing in the hot summer.
There was an explanation: Cirno did that. (probably)
Why would Cirno do thing like that? A mystery.
These few sentences had: attention to detail, an explanation, and a mystery. Few sentences from a shooter showed better writing than whole Bioware writing department.

Bioware might provide an explanation, however considering Biowre creativity so far, I doubt they will not create new problems, fail at consistency, or the story would be better than D movie.

Captain Shrek said:
herostratus said:

I am happy you say that. I posted that trollfest on 4chan. Its complete utter bullshit.
Rofl

Well we'll see if the DA2 plot is better or or not. If not you can always apply for a Bioware job. I'll put in a good word :thumbsup:

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Raghar said:
Bioware might provide an explanation, however considering Biowre creativity so far, I doubt they will not create new problems, fail at consistency, or the story would be better than D movie.
You're absolutely right.

Volourn said:

R00fles!

To me that's an apples to oranges comparison, the value I get from one hour of non-linear gameplay isn't the same as what I get from an hour of railroaded gameplay, the more choices I have the bigger the game feels even if the clock time is the same. It's why the top jrpgs often need over 100 hours to be a satisfactory meal. You can balance length vs choice/branches.

The complaint is about value/game experience, not whether the story's presentation is well fitted to the length. (On that note most of DA:O's story was told right in the tutorial and the rest was just filler till the big showdown)

20-25 hours for DA2's MQ sounds about right considering how they're copying the ME2 recipe.

kris

Arcane
Volourn said:

More interesting is how they sell a sequel for the same price when it is shorter and... They reused engine, art assets, setting and all other things.

Welcome to EA line production games. A new one every year, less work on every new one.

Multi-headed Cow

Why don't you post the truth then you horrible cocktease. DON'T MAKE ME PLAY THIS GAME 7 TIMES TO FIND OUT BECAUSE I WILL

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
yeah stop spamming and talk more about the game you guys

Status
Not open for further replies.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom