Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dark Forces is still the best Star Wars shooter

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Dark Forces is pure awesomeness and Incline.
Before the dark times...
Before Disney.
Also gave birth to the Jedi Knight series, which is just as great.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
I have read here some great things about repubblic commando so i bought it on GOG and it's damn terrible.
XBOX era corridor shooter with 4 weapons, health sponge enemies and nothing else.

I played it back in the day when it came out. It was absolutely terrible. Shooting at enemies felt like throwing toothpicks at them. And all the enemies were the same two boring types of droids. Avoid.

The Dopamine Cleric

Prospernaut
Shitposter
...because the game does not grovelling revolve around Luke, Han, Leia, or unlikely cameo appearances by minor characters, or any of that shit. It's protagonist is not a Jedi, has no special powers beyond their blaster rifle. Today Disney/Hollywood execs, on top of their many other sins, are convinced that you need 'familiar faces' in games. The Star Wars galaxy is massive and the likelihood of running into movie characters is negligible, meaning implausible cameos shrink the breadth of the setting. This constant fixation on what someone like Han was doing between movies is really constricting. Dark Forces instead created a new hero. It created a feeling of isolation and self-reliance, with a brand new character, Kyle Katarn.

yFRxeBW.gif

You are just one mercenary among thousands of worlds, operating against the Empire without any Jedi powers, on distant isolated outposts, as the majority of action in Star Wars must be. Battles must take place daily, between pirates, rebels, outlaws and imperial special forces. The sequel is also amazing, and is something that would never happen now; an original galactic-level threat like Jerec, being handled without reference to the movies, by someone on an independent hero's journey to Luke. Kyle Katarn is the subject of memes; the Chuck Norris of Star Wars. Ten years after buying out Lucasfilm, there is no word on whether Kyle Katarn even exists in modern canon. It would be so easy to remake Dark Forces in Unreal Engine and release as a ÂŁ9.99 game on Steam, GOG, PSN, etc, re-canonizing the plot by altering a couple of lines of text.

Yeah, you faggots wanna DF?

Ill show you how to DF

https://df-21.net/

DF all night long

Groover

Literate
What's the general consensus on Republic Commando? I'm on the fence about picking it up after enjoying Dark Forces 1 and 2. I wasn't too keen on how imprecise and loose the two Jedi Knight games feel (Outcast and Academy)

antimeridian

Learned
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
What's the general consensus on Republic Commando? I'm on the fence about picking it up after enjoying Dark Forces 1 and 2. I wasn't too keen on how imprecise and loose the two Jedi Knight games feel (Outcast and Academy)
I tried Republic Commando recently and didn't enjoy it. Shooting felt very poor. I think they were looking to Halo for the shooting, but completely failed to reproduce how good Halo's shooting feels. Very imprecise and the blasters felt like toys. No feedback from enemies when hit. Combat overall felt too hectic to make use of the squad effectively. Music and atmosphere are decent if you like the prequel era.

If you have an Xbox it might be better to load up on there. It is a console game through and through. On PC you have to deal with issues like poor UI scaling and horrible mouse input, on top of the shitty console interface. My brother loaded it up on his Series X and it just works. I played some on there and it felt much more satisfying as a console experience.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
It's alright.
Might as well grab it if you have money to spend and want some good old SW game.
A squad based FPS. Pretty decent, nothing groundbreaking.
Also, what do you mean about Outcast and Academy being "imprecise and loose"?

Groover

Literate
It's alright.
Might as well grab it if you have money to spend and want some good old SW game.
I found that the movement felt heavy and stilted, lacking the finesse that the Dark Forces games had. Guns felt poor to use, were wildly innacurate in comparison, and damage models as well as hit reactions didn't quite feel right. The lightsaber was imprecise to the point that duels felt like a random war of attrition where I was winning or losing based on a dice roll more than through deliberate action. Sometimes hits wouldn't register despite going through the character model, sometimes my character would block a strike, and sometimes not. The criteria to trigger these moves felt a little too random for me, and the prospect of savescumming to hope for luck to be in my favour completely soured me from the experience.

Maybe I was too quick to dismiss the combat system, but it just didn't feel good to me at the time.

Last edited:

Louis_Cypher

Arcane
I agree entirely. Dark Forces 1 & 2 are great. On the other hand, Jedi Outcast didn't even feel that good at the time, and I played it at release back in 2002. I remember well how 'off' it felt compare to Dark Forces 1 & 2, and I can't really understand how it has gained this reputation as a great Star Wars game, that it seems to have.

Republic Commando isn't that good honestly. The enemies are bullet sponges. In the films a single well-placed blaster round will take down a B2 Battle Droid. In Republic Commando you can pump what feels like dozens of rounds into even unshielded enemies. It again, has a vastly inflated reputation for some reason, despite this.

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
FPS, therefore decline.

I always see these as 3D Pac-Man games or something, except Pac-Man is more fun and doesn't give me motion-sickness after 5 mins.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
It's alright.
I found that the movement felt heavy and stilted, lacking the finesse that the Dark Forces games had. Guns felt poor to use, were wildly innacurate in comparison, and damage models as well as hit reactions didn't quite feel right. The lightsaber was imprecise to the point that duels felt like a random war of attrition where I was winning or losing based on a dice roll more than through deliberate action. Sometimes hits wouldn't register despite going through the character model, sometimes my character would block a strike, and sometimes not. The criteria to trigger these moves felt a little too random for me, and the prospect of savescumming to hope for luck to be in my favour completely soured me from the experience.

Maybe I was too quick to dismiss the combat system, but it just didn't feel good to me at the time.
There is more to the combat system than just randomly slashing and stabbing with your lightsaber and hoping for the best. Try to use special moves and see what the enemies are doing, when they leave themselves open for attack. Strong style is the best for offense, but not so good for defense. Fast style is the best for defense and has some great special moves, but does not do much damage compared to Strong. Medium style is an inbetween style.
Double bladed lightsaber has very powerful attacks which can be devastating, but it's not so good for defense. You want to dish out the damage, not take it.

Normal weapons can also be surprisingly effective. The Bowcaster can act as a shotgun and has pretty good accuracy. The Disruptor rifle is a good sniping weapon.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
lightsabers

guffaw

real men jump on top of a guy to knock him down, then unload blaster alt-fire into his head

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
lightsabers

guffaw

real men jump on top of a guy to knock him down, then unload blaster alt-fire into his head
Tried it once against Desann, didn't really work (but I know it can be done, especially with powerful guns like the Flechette Cannon).
Desann is nasty though. Force pushes you, Force grips you (you can't prevent it with Force push), very powerful attacks (he has a unique variation of the Strong style). Strong style vertical thrust and using that protective Force shield in the center of the arena work best.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
If you think Desann is nasty, you should see Kyle in Jedi Academy. Both still doable tho, I finished both Outcast and Academy guns-only, even if force RAEG is I think mandatory to win against Kyle.

The funny thing is that in Outcast Tavion is much more of a problem than Desann when gunning.

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
What's the general consensus on Republic Commando? I'm on the fence about picking it up after enjoying Dark Forces 1 and 2.
I stand by what I said two years ago:

There is something else: Incredible atmosphere and music.

The gameplay may be mediocre, with slow movement, bullet sponge boss enemies and non-existant tactical choices for your squad.

But Jesus Christ, the atmosphere in that game is top notch. It really feels like you're fighting a gritty war far away from the big name Jedi. Droids aren't goofy, boss enemies are threatening and your visor wipes away blood from foes that are killed at point-blank range. It's weird how this game was based not only on the prequels, but on Attack of the Clones, often regarded as the worst movie before the sequels happened.

Your squadmates have so many different lines reacting to stuff around them and to your orders, like being puzzled when you order them to heal and then call it off, or when you knock yourself out with your own grenade ("Are you sure we're all cloned from the same template?"). Giving them unique voice actors is cheating but eh, the whole idea of clone troopers is stupid in the first place.

You should have watched gameplay on Youtube before purchasing (type in "[GAME NAME] longplay" and go about a third into the video to see what the gameplay is like). Your reaction would have been "what is this, an early 2000's console shooter back when developers thought players were retarded?" and it would have been absolutely right.

Also, you forgot the alien weapons you pick up from enemies: The shotgun, the heavy machine gun, the SMG, the flamethrower, the rocket launcher, the concussion rifle and the bowcaster. That makes it 11 weapons and 4 grenade types.
Tl;dr Amazing atmosphere, mediocre gameplay.

Also, the player character is voiced by Temuera Morrison, who played the clones in the movie(s).

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
If you think Desann is nasty, you should see Kyle in Jedi Academy. Both still doable tho, I finished both Outcast and Academy guns-only, even if force RAEG is I think mandatory to win against Kyle.

The funny thing is that in Outcast Tavion is much more of a problem than Desann when gunning.
I agree. The fight with Tavion is brutal. She darts all over the place and has her own unique Fast lightsaber style.
Force Rage is fucking busted. You can't die from normal damage, you resist up to 90 percent damage, you do more damage and attack faster. It's insane. Feels a bit cheap taking it, so I prefer Force Protect. Doesn't stop the Reborn from using it though.

Eh, Dark Forces 1 has great level design and atmosphere, but the gameplay sucks, the later weapons feels weak compared to the starting blaster(that shoot red beams), this is possibly the worst design mistake you can make in an old school FPS: making the later weapons weaker than you starting ones, there's no sense of accomplishment or getting powerful, and no variety. It's much better to have weapons that gets progressively more powerful, because at least you're forced to use the weaker ones at the earlier levels and ammo scarcity limit use of stronger ones, so there's variety and a sense of power scaling. Enemy encounter is very samey as well in Dark Forces 1, it's all copy pasted stormtroopers, save for a few exceptions.

Dark Forces 2 and Jedi Outcast are much better games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom