Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Dark Souls 3

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Meh, to me, dangerous and rewarding exploration is the core of the Souls experience, and I'm guessing LotF doesn't deliver on that front.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Meh, to me, dangerous and rewarding exploration is the core of the Souls experience, and I'm guessing LotF doesn't deliver on that front.
It does, very well even. I'd say on average its exploration is more dangerous than that of Dark Souls, but the bosses are easier. That's also why the end-game sucks so much - there's nowhere left to explore.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
It does, very well even. I'd say on average its exploration is more dangerous than that of Dark Souls, but the bosses are easier. That's also why the end-game sucks so much - there's nowhere left to explore.

Really? That's surprising. Is it an open-ended sort of exploration like in DS1 where you get many possible paths, including being able to access endgame areas early, or is it like DS3, with relatively big areas you nonetheless have to progress through in a mostly linear fashion?

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
It's a smaller game, and it's mostly linear, but there are some high-level areas you can access early... and die a lot.

But since it's smaller (like, half of DS1) and you don't teleport, the exploration reminds me a bit of Dark Souls 1.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
In the following image we can see Hidetaka miyazaki happy and effusive about the critical and comercial success of Dark souls III.

ChD0gmtWYAAswGG.jpg

In his inside only dark and fog remain.

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Patch notes for 1.04

Ashen Ones,

A new update for Dark Souls III will deployed on Steam on Thursday, April 28 at 8am UTC/ 1am PST.

The maintenance will require approximately 2 hours of downtime (est. end 10am UTC/ 3am PST).

Please find below the list of changes:
  • Item collection during multiplayer while accessing NPC and Covenant Alter is now working as intended.
  • Conditions for optional events is eased.
  • Conditions to get Rosaria’s Finger is eased.
  • If they haven’t visited the Untended Grave, players will not be teleported there.
  • Kicks cannot be parried.
  • The Crystal Sage will appropriately re-appear even after he has warped.
  • The Dragonslayer Armour won’t die before the battle.
  • Knight Slayer Tsorig will no longer gesture unintendedly.
  • Siegward of Catarina will now be able to properly rescue Greirat once conditions are met.
  • If the player is equipped with a ring that increases Max HP, stats will now be properly reflected when opening the equipment screen.
  • The voice chat icon will now be displayed properly under the covenant panel.
  • Items, bonfire and the “Quit Game” option are now appropriately active even when disconnecting online.
  • If the game disconnects during a multiplayer session, it will no longer crash and return to the title screen.
  • Other issues causing crashes and returning to the title screen have been fixed.
  • Adjustments of the balance of game, improvements of performance and various bug fixes have been made.

After the update is completed, the details will appear on the title screen as follows:
App Ver 1.04
Regulation Ver 1.05

http://steamcommunity.com/games/374320/announcements/detail/618493545613785960

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I've always said it's a very limited game, with little variety in enemies, areas or weapons... And it isn't all that linear - after the first boss there's already a split path, where you can get to some very challenging later areas (the prison).

Anyway, now they've finally cracked it, might as well demo it before buying, if you're unsure.

praetor

Arcane
re LotF: i tried playing it, but it's just so fucking boring i quit after the 4th or 5th boss. the aesthetic is just awful, the story is super-dumb, and the mechanics are "Souls slowed down 50% and clunkified", enemy variety is terrible as are the weapon movesets. i just can't in good conscience recommend it in any way, shape or form, not even on sale (maybe on a piratebay sale. maaybe if you're monumentally bored and really want a Souls-like... but even then i'd recommend replaying any Souls title over LotF). other the the few neat mechanics pepe mentioned in a post above that would be cool to have in Souls (plus that the "soul stain" is on a timer and being in the vicinity heals you like Warmth so you can decide what to do with it... and killing bosses in particular ways can net you cooler loot), overall it's just an extremely boring game

Ash

Arcane
Saw reviews of LotF were in the 70s. Brother showed me the game on his Xbawks. Didn't look too bad. Definitely looked too rip-happy of Dark Souls' exact systems, certainly was rather limiting while it was at it, and the art style felt generic somehow, but it didn't look outright shit. I don't think I'd play it myself (perhaps unfairly based on that demonstration first impression) but I appreciate it isn't yet another cinematic 4 hour mindless singleplayer campaign or whatever other trash we've been getting in recent years. I'm so very tired of those that I'd prefer seemingly lackluster attempts like LotF.

And yeah, it looked like it had one or two good ideas like bonfires not being usable while enemies are in the vicinity, but they alone were not enough to impress.

Last edited:

Bradylama

Arcane

Really? That's surprising. Is it an open-ended sort of exploration like in DS1 where you get many possible paths, including being able to access endgame areas early, or is it like DS3, with relatively big areas you nonetheless have to progress through in a mostly linear fashion?

Don't be fooled, I bought this game off of pepe's recommendation and I was horribly disappointed. It's utter shit. All levels look the same, all enemies look the same, the combat is clunky and stupid, there's no variation to anything, no reason to explore because all items are meaningless anyway and as far as I remember it's 100% linear, the art is completely uninspired and it just plain looks ugly and plays ugly. It's a terrible game, avoid it at all costs.

You'd think pepe would know what's up, but you'd be wrong. But based on the other two guys who recommended the game on this very page you can tell it's probably not worth bothering.

The game isn't necessarily linear, but it does chokepoint in a few spots. You can access Lothric Castle early but you're gated at the Archives. There's a branch at The Road of Sacrifices which goes to Cathedral of the Deep and Farron's Keep, and from the Abyss Watchers the Smouldering Lake is completely optional. Irithyl Valley branches off towards the Profaned Capital and Anor Londo, but those are both dead ends just like Cathedral of the Deep.

I think the real problem is that the areas themselves just aren't as big as they were in DS1, so it doesn't feel like there's as much exploration going on. There's also no intersectionality between the levels like you had a few times in Dark Souls 1. Paths branch off and you can do most of them in any order, but all the branches end up at dead ends, so there's one main corridor of progression along which the action flows.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
I liked how Dark Souls 1 just let you wander into endgame areas you really have no business being in until much later. I miss that in the later games.

Last edited:

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I'm kind of ambivalent about the levels interconnecting. Like, take for example the other side of the broken bridge you visit early on. In DS2 when you get to the other side, you'd suddenly be able to cross that gap for some reason. Which would make for a neat shortcut, but it'd also feel gamey and weird, and the shortcut wouldn't serve any purpose since you can bonfire warp anyways. DS3 felt the most like a physical world, while DS2 was probably the most bizarre and randomly connected, with things like endless lakes of lava on top of mountains for no reason. DS1 managed to strike a decent balance between the two, and it helped a lot that it was so easy to sequence break the first half of the game. In the end DS3 did give me that aimless adventure feeling of not having any particular goal seem like the 'correct' choice, but I think I lucked out there to some extent by not getting gated at Irithyl, which seems like a very random and lame place to require a 'key'.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
I liked how Dark Souls 1 just let you wander into endgame areas you really have no business being in until much later. I miss that in the later games.
What end game areas?

New Londo and the Catacombs are accessible as soon as you reach Firelink Shrine. You can also go to lower Blighttown and Darkroot Garden via Valley of the Drakes if you took the Master Key, although those aren't endgame areas.

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
I started using the Farron Greatsword, and hot damn I love this weapon. Who would've thought that breakdancing with a huge sword would be so effective?

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Patch notes for 1.04

• Item collection during multiplayer while accessing NPC and Covenant Alter is now working as intended.
  • Adjustments of the balance of game, improvements of performance and various bug fixes have been made.

I have no idea what the fuck the first three changes mean. And WHAT balance of game adjustments? WHAT improvements of performance? WHAT bugs were fixed? Goddamn From.

Bradylama

Arcane

Don't be fooled, I bought this game off of pepe's recommendation and I was horribly disappointed. It's utter shit. All levels look the same, all enemies look the same, the combat is clunky and stupid, there's no variation to anything, no reason to explore because all items are meaningless anyway and as far as I remember it's 100% linear, the art is completely uninspired and it just plain looks ugly and plays ugly. It's a terrible game, avoid it at all costs.

You'd think pepe would know what's up, but you'd be wrong. But based on the other two guys who recommended the game on this very page you can tell it's probably not worth bothering.

The game isn't necessarily linear, but it does chokepoint in a few spots. You can access Lothric Castle early but you're gated at the Archives. There's a branch at The Road of Sacrifices which goes to Cathedral of the Deep and Farron's Keep, and from the Abyss Watchers the Smouldering Lake is completely optional. Irithyl Valley branches off towards the Profaned Capital and Anor Londo, but those are both dead ends just like Cathedral of the Deep.

I think the real problem is that the areas themselves just aren't as big as they were in DS1, so it doesn't feel like there's as much exploration going on. There's also no intersectionality between the levels like you had a few times in Dark Souls 1. Paths branch off and you can do most of them in any order, but all the branches end up at dead ends, so there's one main corridor of progression along which the action flows.

?

I was talking about Lords of the Fallen

:oops:

sullynathan

Arcane
Patch notes for 1.04

I have no idea what the fuck the first three changes mean. And WHAT balance of game adjustments? WHAT improvements of performance? WHAT bugs were fixed? Goddamn From.
you'll find out soon enough

Ivan

Arcane
you can cripple the Stray Demon, like Sif. i've only been able to do this once out of 4 playthroughs. always used melee.

ECCDA0E646524A8CE157E34CD0E0E206E1ED9745

C8C3FECFC5110C376BF2258619B2FADF114191B1

98A46933C6FD53E0100691CB16DA3DDAAF1B7A2D

p. sad

Urbanolo

Augur
I'm pretty sure you can also cripple Old Demon King.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom