Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Dark Souls 3

Villagkouras

Arcane
Unlike DS1 it's not a labour of love anymore. It's like the difference between LotR and Hobbit. Only Hobbit was utter shit whereas I did have a very good time playing DS3. But honestly, even though I love the franchise I'd rather have Miyazaki do something completely different that he truly enjoys than DS4 that's even more a product of creative burnout.

That's true and that's why I believe him when he says this is the last installment of the series. I think he respects his game and he will stop making it because he doesn't want to change its essence when clearly he wants to create something else. Nevertheless, I will be very interested to see what he has to offer in his following efforts he is a very talented guy and honest for the industry's standards.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Unlike DS1 it's not a labour of love anymore. It's like the difference between LotR and Hobbit. Only Hobbit was utter shit whereas I did have a very good time playing DS3. But honestly, even though I love the franchise I'd rather have Miyazaki do something completely different that he truly enjoys than DS4 that's even more a product of creative burnout.

That's true and that's why I believe him when he says this is the last installment of the series. I think he respects his game and he will stop making it because he doesn't want to change its essence when clearly he wants to create something else. Nevertheless, I will be very interested to see what he has to offer in his following efforts he is a very talented guy and honest for the industry's standards.

I have to agree.. But I don't want more bloodborne shit..

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
Most people liked DS2.... fact, handful of 4chan crybabies that are into this shit for lore or chain backstabbing didnt.

Most of the DS2 areas where fun to me & i dont even get how you could hate most of them. Iron Keep is horrible, but
so was Izalith. The only thing i genuinly hated mechanically was: Sit-down parry & skill based iframes.

Right now with all the DLCs DS2 is more fun for me than DS3.

Actually I liked a lot more the lore of Dark souls 2 than the Zeus Gwyn and his pals defeating the titans dragons and planting a world for the humanity drama from Dark souls.

---

I'm trying a magic build now (I'm creating Gandalf as character), it's is very frustating. Some bosses like the Deacons of the deep just doesn't look designed for yolo mages like me.

PD: Stunblocking Havel the rock in that Dragon shrine in my previous game with a Darkwraith sword looked very strange for me.

Ivan

Arcane
fuck, the very idea of targeting the red eyes in the Deacons fight sounds finicky as fuck. glad that the only time I rolled a magic build (and learned it was shit) was in Demon's Souls. never again

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
If you're on NG+ Deacons are super easy with the Moonlight sword. Incidentally it's one of the few places the once legendary sword is useful in this game.
On NG it must be annoying, yeah. I guess you can beat them with your staff (don't remember if there are any good INT scaling weapons that early in the game).

Urbanolo

Augur
About those hitboxes - too bad I didn't record teleporting Dancer grab, enemy halberds passing through walls and hitting me, Deacons' spells going through the monument, phantom range on spears and awful awful hit detection while fighting ancient wyver in Archdragon's Peak.

But to be fair those gifs look legitimately great.

Mystary!

Arcane
Most people liked DS2.... fact, handful of 4chan crybabies that are into this shit for lore or chain backstabbing didnt.

Most of the DS2 areas where fun to me & i dont even get how you could hate most of them. Iron Keep is horrible, but
so was Izalith. The only thing i genuinly hated mechanically was: Sit-down parry & skill based iframes.

Actually I liked a lot more the lore of Dark souls 2 than the Zeus Gwyn and his pals defeating the titans dragons and planting a world for the humanity drama from Dark souls.

---

I'm trying a magic build now (I'm creating Gandalf as character), it's is very frustating. Some bosses like the Deacons of the deep just doesn't look designed for yolo mages like me.

PD: Stunblocking Havel the rock in that Dragon shrine in my previous game with a Darkwraith sword looked very strange for me.

Even Gandalf fights with a sword...
Just infuse it to scale with INT and you're good.

Perkel

Arcane
About those hitboxes - too bad I didn't record teleporting Dancer grab, enemy halberds passing through walls and hitting me, Deacons' spells going through the monument, phantom range on spears and awful awful hit detection while fighting ancient wyver in Archdragon's Peak.

But to be fair those gifs look legitimately great.

Nothing new here. Enemies are more agressive in DS3 so they usually follow attack when you are running away or hiding behind wall. Those things did happen in previous games as well. To fix this they would need to add new animations to monsters (which is timeconsuming and costly) or safeplug AI so whenever it is near wall it should stop attacking and try to move away from wall.

I think Dancer is where yo can see it most when you hide behind pillars.

What i noticed though is that some assets seems to be bugged and have switched off colision detection for arrows/spells etc. In few places i noticed that enemies arrows went through some assets. Nothing really annoying but there was once place where i had basically rush because i could hide on roof of building and quickly kill 2 archers.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane

---

Even Gandalf fights with a sword...
Just infuse it to scale with INT and you're good.

Yes, that's what I'm doing. I'm using a shortsword (It doesn't need any stat requeriment) to melee fights, and I'm enchanting it to hit more hard. But, even doing so, I do not make too much damage with it. Plus I can't use a decent shield to protect myself, so I'm forced to dodge the attacks.

tl;dr

I need to git gud.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I really embraced the faster combat and have been getting medieval with my assassin build for pvp and it has been a lot of fun, I mostly use "support" magic like enchant weapon and spook to compliment my playstyle.
Still sore as hell about not beign able tp upgrade armor (or infuse bows) but getting used to it... This might be the most fun I have had in pvp in the Souls series ever
I like the game a lot, but frankly I am begining to see many of the compromises that had to be made to make the game more accesible and mainstream; Dark Souls is still the superior game since it has a more unified and frankly undiluted and honest vision but if they use this same engine and model for a new tenchu game I am more than glad to have had that compromise

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
...but if they use this same engine and model for a new tenchu game I am more than glad to have had that compromise

New Tenchu game directed by Muhzaki.

bJWC2EI.gif

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
So on my replay I decided to try sequence breaking a bit after killing Wolnir, so I quickly looted Smoldering Lake for upgrade materials, killed Old Demon King, and then proceeded to Dancer. It's clearly a boss put there to discourage this exact idea by oneshotting characters with low Vigor and having pretty high defenses. Still, I prevailed, got oneshot a few times by the knights (no way I'm going down to fight mutants in the garden, fuck that), but made it to the bonfire before the dragon bridge and decided to go back to Demon Ruins. I guess I could try Dragonslayer Armor, but my survivability thus far suggests he'd oneshot me just as well.

Can't even imagine how aggravating it would be to do SL1. I feel like I'm taking more damage in Lothric Castle as a SL ~50 character here than I did in the DS1 DLC at SL1.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Complaining about camera in the first phase of NK is a surefire sign of retardation. Don't get what the problem is, you lock on to NK himself and make sure not to walk too far under the drake, as that will cause you to lose the lockon obviously. I've seen idiots walk directly under the drake's head and then complain about the camera. What the fuck did you expect to happen when you did that? Even if you kept the lockon, it would point directly upwards and you wouldn't be able to see shit anyway...

praetor

Arcane
Complaining about camera in the first phase of NK is a surefire sign of retardation. Don't get what the problem is, you lock on to NK himself and make sure not to walk too far under the drake, as that will cause you to lose the lockon obviously. I've seen idiots walk directly under the drake's head and then complain about the camera. What the fuck did you expect to happen when you did that? Even if you kept the lockon, it would point directly upwards and you wouldn't be able to see shit anyway...

my personal rule of thumb for fighting very big and/or flying bosses in Souls: don't lock on. it's easy to aim at big targets and flying enemies often break lock on due to distance or angle so...

anyway, i fought NK a couple of times and... all things considered (mechanics, presentation, lore, music), if it's not the best boss in the series, it's a definite top 3. holy crap. the game is worth it just for that one boss fight, imo. it's just a shame that there are no ascetics so i'll never muster the will to kill him (and i really want his armour and weapon :( ) because i really don't want to go through all of NG+ just to fight him and Gundyr (why the fuck did they leave NG+ the same as always instead of copying DaS2 or even improving on the formula? why!!??). fuck you, Miyazaki :argh:

tried SoC once by myself and then helped others a bit. pretty good fight. i didn't expect him to turn into Gwyn after his health got to 0 so i toyed with him when he was near-death in the 1st phase, only to be killed by his first combo in Gwyn form :D overall, it's a pretty cool fight and a good way to end the series (as far as boss fights go). it just feels... right. i'll probably finish him over the weekend 'cause for now i want to try a Str build at least up to Pontiff

Kutulu

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex
Sorcerers should just get Moonlight Greatsword + a int-scaling faster buffable weapon.
Crystal magic weapon & some armor, be some kind of Sell uh Spellsword.

Still dont get why you wanna cast anyway, yall probably Katana/Straightsword scrubs ;)

Ivan

Arcane
it's just a shame that there are no ascetics so i'll never muster the will to kill him (and i really want his armour and weapon :( ) because i really don't want to go through all of NG+ just to fight him and Gundyr

huh? whats the diference btween killing them in ng and ng+ ?

Dark Souls 2's bonfire ascetics were the closest you could get to a boss rush mode. So, if you really loved a certain boss fight, e.g. Sir Alonne, you could fight him over and over again until you run out of ascetics.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Next Souls-like game could be scifi. Oldschool 80's cyberpunk. Cybernetic limbs, laser eyes, leather jackets, a decaying city filled with drugged up cyber thugs and mutants stalking the streets. Or maybe something with ninjas, whatever.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Just a thought - would you buy Dark Souls 1 Ultimate Edition? Jam packed with all the changes the community always wanted, from using consumables in bulk, bonfire ascetics, respeccing, no instant backstabs, no "Resistance" stat, dual wielding, reworked net code, maybe even a brand new UI? Plus some new content like armors, weapons, maybe even new enemies or areas? Or at least much improved existing areas that were always a subpar standout like the Demon Ruins or Izalith?

Personally I'd shove my money down Miyazaki's throat as deep as I could reach.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom