Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Dark Souls 3

Leechmonger

Arbiter
All I know is that I'll play through DS1 a fourth time before I give either DS2 or DS3 another shot.

It's sad that after beating both DeS and DS1 I immediately started NG+ but that hasn't happened with the last two games :dead:

Baron Dupek

Arcane
d40TRz3.jpg

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
N4B4pAK.jpg

Protip to Miyazaki for future Soulslike games; Bonfires should not be so close that I can see a bonfire WHILE STANDING NEXT TO ANOTHER BONFIRE.

Perkel

Arcane
N4B4pAK.jpg

Protip to Miyazaki for future Soulslike games; Bonfires should not be so close that I can see a bonfire WHILE STANDING NEXT TO ANOTHER BONFIRE.

That was retarded moment. Unfortunetelly they don't seem to think DeS bonfire/archstone system was better prolly due to casuls which can't manage their health.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
As I said earlier, I'd much rather have easier enemies, more environmental hazards, and much fewer bonfires/shortcuts. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like this will happen. Are there so many of them in Bloodborne as well?

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
As I said earlier, I'd much rather have easier enemies, more environmental hazards, and much fewer bonfires/shortcuts. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like this will happen. Are there so many of them in Bloodborne as well?

Not nearly as many. It's usually one per area with shortcuts, although like DSIII, Bloodborne creates a bonfire (lantern) when you kill a boss.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane

Not nearly as many. It's usually one per area with shortcuts, although like DSIII, Bloodborne creates a bonfire (lantern) when you kill a boss.

I honestly don't like spawning bonfires on boss death either. Bosses dropping homeward bones, as they did in DS1, always felt like a more elegant solution to me.

Perkel

Arcane

It is imo improvement over DS2 bonfire fest but there shouldn't be any other bonfires between boss bonfire and starting area bonfire. Boss bonfire doesn't make sense when you have area bonfires.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I honestly don't like spawning bonfires on boss death either. Bosses dropping homeward bones, as they did in DS1, always felt like a more elegant solution to me.

Well either let the boss spawn bonfire or place one nearby. In many places in DS3 there are both. The case with the Dragonslayer Armor/Archives is not even the most ridiculous, that would be the Wolnir-Irithyll Valley-Central Irithyll combo.

Also, runs for bosses - the run from the D.Armour bonfire to the Twin Princes takes two minutes and it's just a straight, pointless run, without enemies, without challenges. Why? Twin Princes are a difficult boss and an average player is likely to repeat the run many times, just sprinting through empty corridors for two minutes like a retard. Just stop being so edgy From and place the bonfire next to the boss room.

It is imo improvement over DS2 bonfire fest but there shouldn't be any other bonfires between boss bonfire and starting area bonfire. Boss bonfire doesn't make sense when you have area bonfires.

That's fine with bosses where you can't be two shotted within seconds if you lack insane twitch skillz. Unfortunately many of DS3 bosses are like the first few seconds of the Capra Demon fight, only extended to five minutes. When I think back to the run to Capra I have still nightmares. Five minute run and then you get borked in the first two seconds. Over and over and over and over and over again.

Murk

Arcane
DS 3 bonfires are like starbucks, if you can't see the next one from the current one then there are potential customers you are losing out on.

Perkel

Arcane
That's fine with bosses where you can't be two shotted within seconds if you lack insane twitch skillz. Unfortunately many of DS3 bosses are like the first few seconds of the Capra Demon fight, only extended to five minutes. When I think back to the run to Capra I have still nightmares. Five minute run and then you get borked in the first two seconds. Over and over and over and over and over again.

Maybe but when i played DeS for first time i sucked like probably everyone else so DS3 twitcher bosses imo were easier than playing first time DeS without skills.

And by doing one level = one bonfire makes shortcuts important and acutally "fuckyeah" moment instead of just "meh"

DS3 also in later parts is guilty of "meh" shortcuts because you can see all those platforms in lothric castle that don't work and you know it is shorcut that will open later vs DeS where most of shortcuts were environmental instead of lift based.

Similar situation in DS1 where you can open doors of cathedra in anor londo but by that time you already have bonfire in better place than just running again from other side of map. Without that bonfire it would be "fuck yeah" moment instead of "meh" especially since you would have to go through whole apartament complex first after those archers.

On other hand Deeps in DS1 were fun in this therm because it had enviromental shortcuts (that slide and butcher and doors) and also had bonfire behind locked doors. It was a bit short but still it succesfully shown how to do shortcuts and bonfires right.

Leechmonger

Arbiter
Regarding bonfires: we got the worst of both worlds. Too many bonfires during level exploration, which makes the world seem much less dangerous. And we still have to book it across the level to get to some bosses from the closest bonfire. What a waste of time.

The single biggest issue DeS had was that long fucking trek to the final boss, including the long-ass elevator ride. Forcing me to repeat tedious shit is not fun.

There should be an option to respawn at a boss battle with the same number of Estus charges you had when you first went in. They can even make the bosses harder since the time you're not wasting running back can be spent actually fighting the fucking thing. Or simply add a bonfire right before the boss if it's a swamp-like level, since one extra bonfire won't make much of a difference. I wouldn't add a bonfire at the end of linear levels, though, unless once you reach it you can't go back until you defeat the boss.

Last edited:

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Speaking of poise...
Appearently the devs have deliberately turned it OFF

Turns out, changing a pointer in the game files or using a debugger/hex editor/memory scanner to make the 0 to a 1 results with this.
67.97 and 1.00 poise respectively for those who are wondering whats the difference between taking 8 hits for stagger and every hit staggering.

I find this hard to believe and I know is true but I wish it wasn't.

This alone elevates DaS3 to the level of clusterfuck. The game experience could have been completely different with poise.

:x

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
All I know is that I'll play through DS1 a fourth time before I give either DS2 or DS3 another shot.

It's sad that after beating both DeS and DS1 I immediately started NG+ but that hasn't happened with the last two games :dead:

You don't really need to start NG+ in DS2. Bonfire ascetics were a cool mechanic in my opinion.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Eh, pretty shit. I enjoyed trying to balance having a fast roll character with decent poise in DS1. Stuff like Hollow Soldier leg armor was only 1.5 weight but had 7 poise with decent resists. Then you had Wolf Ring with 40 poise. Although from what I've seen in DS3 the Wolf Ring (at least the NG version) is pretty shit and not worth having versus the better rings out there. Also the fact that poise is meaningless means Havel's ring is pretty terrible, too.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Eh, pretty shit. I enjoyed trying to balance having a fast roll character with decent poise in DS1. Stuff like Hollow Soldier leg armor was only 1.5 weight but had 7 poise with decent resists. Then you had Wolf Ring with 40 poise. Although from what I've seen in DS3 the Wolf Ring (at least the NG version) is pretty shit and not worth having versus the better rings out there. Also the fact that poise is meaningless means Havel's ring is pretty terrible, too.

In a balanced system you shouldn't be able to have both fast roll and high poise. This was only possible in DS1 because of overpowered rings. Honestly, no game in the series really got the poise/defense/mobility balance right as derived from both character stats and armor. Ideally, you want to give players in high poise armor a functional roll, but still make light armor worthwhile by giving it significant additional mobility, and do all this while not messing with roll iframes too much but also avoiding hard breakpoints, and hopefully having stats affect all of it somehow.

Of course, DS3's solution of "Fuck poise, armor doesn't matter, happy fashion souls everyone" is a pretty serious downgrade from both DS1 and DS2.

Last edited:

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
The weight limit doesn't really matter either, apparently there are only like 3 different rolls, and only the slowest (70%+) even loses one iframe. That honestly bothers me more than the poise thing, since poise was always backstab enabling garbage of a system that rewarded super laggy players by making their invisible movements even less predictable, while rewarding lightly weighted players with better rolls/running made a lot of sense from a balance standpoint.

Interesting to know that they have just turned it off though. That means presumably they could also just turn it back on in a future patch quite easily.

Well i beat champion gndyr on 5th try with my executioner greatsword and felt like hot shit and than i see this

:rage:

Fuckng bestoc.

Its still great fight probably next to ludwig and alonne my favourite but fuck co-oping him. People are so fuckng bad its not even fun anymore. Gundyr bullies casuals so hard it feels like farming sun medals at Fume Knight all over again :lol:

Malpercio

Arcane
The Demon ruin IS Izalith...
Yea I was thinking of Lothric as being a separate kingdom a ways off from Lordran, the original neighborhood of Anor Londo where you fly to from Sen's. But I guess it makes more sense if Lothric occupies the same physical space but at a later time, or exists apart but connects to all the realms at certain points. Woah. Dude.

Lothric is basically an amalgamation on various kingdoms that existed through the ages, they say it in the opening, remember?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom