Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Dark Souls 3

It least i am not DS2 faggot.
no but you are faggot that claims fucking dlc to twicher 3 will be GOTY 2016 without seeing even a glimpse of gameplay. inb4 we need to see twicher gameplay to know it will be fucking utter shit like last 3 times :lol:

You talk shit about DS2 conveniently omitting every single improvement that game brought to Souls series. All your posts about DS2 are either about shitty textures here and there or how bad that game plays with no arguments to back up your claims:retarded:

I am not even talking about fuckton of UI improvements from KB+M controls to nerf to backstabs and parries being more difficult and fucking 8 directions movement.

How about Sunken City or Brume Tower? Find me better designed levels in Souls series and fuck off with Latria i am not a lorefag.

Sir Alone, Fume Knight, Sihn, Darklurker are easily on O&S level and Executioner Chariot is probably the only well designed puzzle boss in whole fucking franchise.

Dual wielding? Power stance? Parrying while two-handing a weapon? Back-step working in PVP? Animations canceling? No more chain-backstabs?

Magic being finally useful and not just shitty souls arrow->big soul arrow-> big and slow soul arrow. There is a fuckton of utility or situational spells especially hexes.

Lets forget about +200 weapons in DS2. I cant think of one weapon group that is not viable in PVE or PVP. Fuck even reapers work. Show me your caestus build in DS3 :lol: Where are twinblades ?

I would take Vendrick+Aldia and daughters of Manus over rehash of DS1 storyline. At least B-team and Tanimura tried something else with lore than nostalgia trip from Firelink Shrine through Izalith to Anor londo with Andre, Onionbro and Quelanna :lol:

Covennats were also better in DS2. Fucking Pilgrims of Dark worked great in PVE and PVP. Bellbros let you farm upgrades no matter what SM level you were and Ratfags were fun while it lasted. PVP fags had their arenas and little details like "auras" you could get from ranking up in covenants helped with DS2 multiplayer longevity.

Perkel

Arcane
It works in an extremelly limited way - it improves your roll recovery. This dude figured it out.

This videos confirms what i just said and found out myself:
- poise reduces stun recovery period
- each attack has different effect on stun so R2 has bigger stun than R1
- each weapon has different stun period it causes
- there is combo block mechanic where each next combo hit have reduced period of recovery.

It confirms that poise indeed does work like intended.

Last edited:

Malpercio

Arcane
Speaking of DS2-DS3 comparisons, why in the fuck didn't small soapstones return? They were quite good for small short co-op sections, and right now if you place your sign at the beginning of the level you basically forsake any reward. :( They would be also good for mage players since we aren't good for long sections.

Perkel

Arcane
no but you are faggot that claims fucking dlc to twicher 3 will be GOTY 2016 without seeing even a glimpse of gameplay. inb4 we need to see twicher gameplay to know it will be fucking utter shit like last 3 times :lol:

I claim it can be goty 2016 because of share writing quality, world building, C&C, character building behind it. Not because gameplay will smash rest of games.

And TW3 won 3rd place in codex goty so apperently i am not alone here who thinks that way. Didn't play yet HoS cause i am waiting for full play-trough with both HoS and W&B

You talk shit about DS2 conveniently omitting every single improvement that game brought to Souls series. All your posts about DS2 are either about shitty textures here and there or how bad that game plays with no arguments to back up your claims:retarded:

If you would actually read what i wrote you would see why i claim DS2 is shit. I don't claim DS2 is shit because of combat model. In fact i did mentioned few times already that combat model was good and they added few fun things. Problem was that everything else was garbage and only few areas in vanilla actually were worth to play with majority of areas being just garbage.

I am not even talking about fuckton of UI improvements from KB+M controls to nerf to backstabs and parries being more difficult and fucking 8 directions movement.

Never played it on K+M i prefer to play games like developers intended me to play them. They made it for pad so i played on pad. If developers would make driving game then i would play on fucking wheel. Funny that you mention 8 directional movement because this was worst change along with floaty movement to DS2 in therms of movement mechanics. People literally had to use mods to fix that 8 direction shit deadzone.

How about Sunken City or Brume Tower? Find me better designed levels in Souls series and fuck off with Latria i am not a lorefag.
Sir Alone, Fume Knight, Sihn, Darklurker are easily on O&S level and Executioner Chariot is probably the only well designed puzzle boss in whole fucking franchise.

I like that you point out almost all areas and bosses from DLC and not Vanilla. I did praise DLC for fixing issues of vanilla DS2 but still to play those levels you have to first play vanilla and those levels don't last long.

Unlike DS3 where level design is superior throughout whole game.

Dual wielding? Power stance? Parrying while two-handing a weapon? Back-step working in PVP? Animations canceling? No more chain-backstabs?
Magic being finally useful and not just shitty souls arrow->big soul arrow-> big and slow soul arrow. There is a fuckton of utility or situational spells especially hexes.
Lets forget about +200 weapons in DS2. I cant think of one weapon group that is not viable in PVE or PVP. Fuck even reapers work. Show me your caestus build in DS3 :lol: Where are twinblades ?

And you would use that on playing one of most garbage designed levels with shitty enemies for most of your game. Maybe if they would do 100 weapons instead of 200+ they would have time to do proper level design.

I would take Vendrick+Aldia and daughters of Manus over rehash of DS1 storyline. At least B-team and Tanimura tried something else with lore than nostalgia trip from Firelink Shrine through Izalith to Anor londo with Andre, Onionbro and Quelanna :lol:

Right now storywise i am not yet in position to tell anything really because i still play and i am trying to figure out things. But i assume you are so great spending time on wiki reading all shit you can while not playing game. I tried to confirm my findings with wiki and already saw problems with stuff in there.

Covennats were also better in DS2. Fucking Pilgrims of Dark worked great in PVE and PVP. Bellbros let you farm upgrades no matter what SM level you were and Ratfags were fun while it lasted. PVP fags had their arenas and little details like "auras" you could get from ranking up in covenants helped with DS2 multiplayer longevity.

Covenants area always better when they are used by people who know how to play and what is covenant. Right now like in case of DS2 and DS1 there are shiton of casuls who don't give a shit about anything. Once they will move it will work like intended. You don't seem to remember but half of covenants in DS2 were broken at release.

Perkel

Arcane
Speaking of DS2-DS3 comparisons, why in the fuck didn't small soapstones return? They were quite good for small short co-op sections, and right now if you place your sign at the beginning of the level you basically forsake any reward

Yeah this is one of changes i didn't like. I loved to use small one instead of bigger one.

Never played it on K+M i prefer to play games like developers intended me to play them. They made it for pad so i played on pad. If developers would make driving game then i would play on fucking wheel. Funny that you mention 8 directional movement because this was worst change along with floaty movement to DS2 in therms of movement mechanics. People literally had to use mods to fix that 8 direction shit deadzone.

:retarded:
4 directional movement is better than 8? mode needed to fix deadzones? are you from neogaf or what? cause that "floaty movement" is their main argument when it comes to DS2.

I like that you point out almost all areas and bosses from DLC and not Vanilla. I did praise DLC for fixing issues of vanilla DS2 but still to play those levels you have to first play vanilla and those levels don't last long.

Unlike DS3 where level design is superior throughout whole game.

So DS2 dlc dont count? Who the fuck still plays DS2 vanilla? Its SotFS or fuck off. Lol at those lvls dont last long. All 3 dlcs combined are probably half as long as DS3 or even longer :lol:

DS3 lvl design is not that much superior it is simply consistent throughout the whole main game. There is no izalith or demon ruins or shaded woods but half of levels are fucking corridors you can run through in less than 5 minutes. Like Kings Garden or Profane Capital.

And you would use that on playing one of most garbage designed levels with shitty enemies for most of your game. Maybe if they would do 100 weapons instead of 200+ they would have time to do proper level design.

How is Lost Bastille garbage? Dragon Aerie? Gutter? Forrest of Fallen Giants? Huntsman Copse? Undead Crypt? Sorry that not every level is fucking trip from Undead Burg to Blightown.

Shitty enemies are present in every single Souls game :lol: DS3 has as many of them as any other Souls title.
Right now storywise i am not yet in position to tell anything really because i still play and i am trying to figure out things. But i assume you are so great spending time on wiki reading all shit you can while not playing game. I tried to confirm my findings with wiki and already saw problems with stuff in there.

fuck you with your reading wiki accusations. Just because you are retard that cant put two and two together and miss half of the shit on 1st play-through doesnt mean rest of us is as shitty as you. FFS its 5th Souls game in last 7 years. Maybe you should get back to playing Twicher 3 for that cinematic experience?
What problems you saw there? That DS3 is story-wise rehash of DS1 and only side quests like Nameless King or Secret Ending are genuinely new and feel fresh?
Covenants area always better when they are used by people who know how to play and what is covenant. Right now like in case of DS2 and DS1 there are shiton of casuls who don't give a shit about anything. Once they will move it will work like intended. You don't seem to remember but half of covenants in DS2 were broken at release.

Implying you even played DS2 on release :roll: Please enlighten me what covenants did not work as intended in march 2014? The only "broken" thing was Soul Memory and how scarce were blue/red cracked orbs.

You must be seriously delusional if you believe that multiplayer will be more alive once casuls move on. Since there are no arenas for pvp, no pve covennats and no upgrade materials to farm in pvp it will be DS1 all over again. One shitty area with constant ganks(Aldritch faithfull locations/Darkroot Garden) and couple sunbros at the most difficult bosses. Even Dragonbros are not there for muhhh honorable duels.

I claim it can be goty 2016 because of share writing quality, world building, C&C, character building behind it. Not because gameplay will smash rest of games.

And TW3 won 3rd place in codex goty so apperently i am not alone here who thinks that way. Didn't play yet HoS cause i am waiting for full play-trough with both HoS and W&B
And Dragon Age 1 was Codex GOTY. Doesnt change the fact its mediocre at best.

TW3 has only that quality writing and cant even keep it for the whole main quest. Everything else was garbage :smug:

Problem was that everything else was garbage

this is your argument. how am i supposed to take you seriously? what everything? couple mediocre bosses and one shitty transition from windmill to volcano? ohhh and those awful textures in shaded woods. that makes the game pure garbage? :lol: Than half of DS1 is utter shit and dont even get me started on DeS :roll:

Mozg

Arcane
I see dead angle has gone on from being a reference to a concept from Guilty Gear (where it's another name for an "alpha counter" from Street Fighter Alpha, meaning an attack that you can do while in blockstun) that made no sense for what it's referring to in DS1 and now in DS3 it's up yet another meta level of dumb confusion.

Murk

Arcane
All these ds 2 fags that no one agrees with. Mmm hmmm.

Jesus Perkel, go home you're drunk.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I see dead angle has gone on from being a reference to a concept from Guilty Gear (where it's another name for an "alpha counter" from Street Fighter Alpha, meaning an attack that you can do while in blockstun) that made no sense for what it's referring to in DS1 and now in DS3 it's up yet another meta level of dumb confusion.
Well what else would you call it? The proper fighting game analogy would be a crossup, but that sounds pretty dumb when you aren't jumping over your opponent, but simply attacking at a bizarre angle from the ground.

Mozg

Arcane
It's actually slightly more appropriate in DS to include "angle" in there somewhere than it is in GG where it's pure engrish nonsense, which probably has something to do with why it was adopted for DS despite having nothing to do with the GG concept they took the name from

It's such an obvious exploit based on hacky netcode in DS1 (instead of trying to figure out if an attack hitbox collides with a shieldbox in our somewhat position-agnostic double asynchronous netcode, we're just gonna compare their relative angles! genius!) I'da called it "the unblockable exploit", even though technically you can turn around to block a backwards attack.

Kutulu

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex
Most people liked DS2.... fact, handful of 4chan crybabies that are into this shit for lore or chain backstabbing didnt.

Most of the DS2 areas where fun to me & i dont even get how you could hate most of them. Iron Keep is horrible, but
so was Izalith. The only thing i genuinly hated mechanically was: Sit-down parry & skill based iframes.

Right now with all the DLCs DS2 is more fun for me than DS3.

Perkel

Arcane
Whoa that is great. Hope with mods we will be able to pit other monsters against each other.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Whoa that is great. Hope with mods we will be able to pit other monsters against each other.

That was a glitch. Also not great: Darkwraith > Abyss Watcher

Basically confirming that bullshit mobs in this game are harder than the "bosses".

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
So almost finished NG+ with a mage and it's confirmed - sorcery in this game generally sucks. You CAN cheese a few problematic places but overall it's not worth it.
Enemies are much faster and more aggressive than in DS1, they lunge and jump and leap at you across huge distances while casts speeds haven't improved and even with my fully upgraded White Staff and Sage Ring+1 the difference in speeds is marginal.

Furthermore in order to do substantial damage (required from NG+ onwards) you have to have equipped the Magic Clutch Ring AND the Crown of Dusk (alongisde the Bellowing Dragon Ring obviously) both of which lower your resistances dramatically. Playing as a glass cannon in DS1 was all right, with some patience and skill you could go through the majority of the game quite comfortably, but in DS3 it's pretty frustrating. Not only are some boss fights luck based (especially Pontiff, Lothric and SoC, haven't tried the Storm King yet) but even a few other mobs can one shot you unembered, even with soft capped Vigor.

Also many mobs seem to be somewhat resistant to magic while very few are downright weak to it. So you can have +10 Crystal infused weapon and 60 INT and your trusty Fire Longsword will still outperform it in many places. The only exception is a Raw weapon buffed with the Crystal Magic Weapon which is fucking monstrous but also quite impractical since it's extremelly expensive and lasts barely a minute. There's also the Simple infusion and if you have both your weapon and your shield Simple infused the FP regenerates by about 1 point per second which is all right but the damage suffers even more compared to Crystal.

As for PvP sorcerer is absolutely terrible. I haven't played DS1 PvP and I've barely touched DS2 so no idea how is PvP sorcery in those. But in DS3 you stand very little chance against anybody who marginally knows what they're doing. The spells are quite limited compared to DS2 and you'll never hit anyone with them. So all you can use is your Crystal infused weapons which is split damage and that's also pretty terrible in this game. Again the exception is the Crystal Magic Weapon spell, an estoc with this buff absolutely shits on everyone, but again, it costs too much and lasts to little.

The conclusion is magic is not OP anymore, far from it. Don't misunderstand me, playing a mage on NG+ is not exactly an impossible struggle. After all you know the game already and you're geared up. But I can't imagine what a struggle it must be on NG, especially considering you'll have to make do with your Soul Arrows all the way to the Profaned Capital where you'll finally get your Soul Spear (which is barely worth it since it does slightly more damage at a much higher cost than the Great Heavy Soul Arrow, even tho the cast is a bit shorter).

All in all if you're going to NG+ and you want to have both fun AND smooth sailing go with a STR build, take Yorm's Machette or the Black Knight Greataxe (FUGS is still also eminenty usable) and simply shred everything that moves. No laborious skill-sniping from distance, no kiting bosses around the arena like a retard. Plus with a little getting used to how hyper armor works you'll be able to shit on everything in PvP too. Bye bye magic, it was nice knowing you. Not.

Mystary!

Arcane
P. much the same with pyromancy. My pyromancer is doing fine but I'm not really using any of the spells because they suck ass, so it's mostly a weak ass warrior due to the spread stats. Only stuff it can kill are mooks that are no threat to begin with, and stuff you'd prefer to stay away from and toss spells at just wont let you because of the slow casting time and instant gap closer.
Allthou things might pick up. I just got Sacred flame and Chaos Bed Vestiges and they seem fairly decent, they're somewhat faster and can one-shot stuff like the pointiff knights.

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
So after 120 hours clocked in the game I was finally summoned as a blue spirit. I even forgot I have the insignia equiped. I was so awestruck I tried hastily to change my rings and weapons for PvP, sadly I was spawned right in the middle of a gangbang with two purples and a bunch of PvE mobs wailing on the host and his sunbro. I was stunlocked and dunked in about two seconds before I could even react. Oh well, I'm sure imma do better next time, in another 120 hours.
That much time spent in a game that came out less than two weeks ago...it's always nice to see someone who has even less of a life than I do.

I've reached Boreal Valley after spending way too much time playing yesterday, but I keep getting the urge to start a new character. I think I've fucked up all the NPC questlines, apparently there's a way to get five free levels that I missed the chance to do. Apparently sorcery and pyromancy sucks, but what about miracles? I enjoyed playing a lightning weapon hybrid in DS2, is that still viable?

Perkel

Arcane
So after 120 hours clocked in the game I was finally summoned as a blue spirit. I even forgot I have the insignia equiped. I was so awestruck I tried hastily to change my rings and weapons for PvP, sadly I was spawned right in the middle of a gangbang with two purples and a bunch of PvE mobs wailing on the host and his sunbro. I was stunlocked and dunked in about two seconds before I could even react. Oh well, I'm sure imma do better next time, in another 120 hours.
That much time spent in a game that came out less than two weeks ago...it's always nice to see someone who has even less of a life than I do.

Just read above. Seems like they are less viable than before.

I have one char being mage but i am not far off (s. road). Heavy soul arrow does ton of damage but it is slow and non viable in pvp.

I think for spells they should do same thing as they did to R2 attacks. You hold spell for a while and then you release it when you want it. This could bait people into roll and punish them.

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

I've reached Boreal Valley after spending way too much time playing yesterday, but I keep getting the urge to start a new character. I think I've fucked up all the NPC questlines, apparently there's a way to get five free levels that I missed the chance to do. Apparently sorcery and pyromancy sucks, but what about miracles? I enjoyed playing a lightning weapon hybrid in DS2, is that still viable?

I posted a NPC walkthrough a few dozen pages back, I missed pretty much all of them too. It's convoluted in places.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
It works in an extremelly limited way - it improves your roll recovery. This dude figured it out.

This videos confirms what i just said and found out myself:
- poise reduces stun recovery period
- each attack has different effect on stun so R2 has bigger stun than R1
- each weapon has different stun period it causes
- there is combo block mechanic where each next combo hit have reduced period of recovery.

It confirms that poise indeed does work like intended.

So, poise, which is something you gain from wearing heavy armor, and is supposed to represent your momentum and stability while moving, actually makes you... more agile, by letting you roll out of being staggered more easily.

Am I understanding this correctly?

Malpercio

Arcane
P. much the same with pyromancy. My pyromancer is doing fine but I'm not really using any of the spells because they suck ass, so it's mostly a weak ass warrior due to the spread stats. Only stuff it can kill are mooks that are no threat to begin with, and stuff you'd prefer to stay away from and toss spells at just wont let you because of the slow casting time and instant gap closer.
Allthou things might pick up. I just got Sacred flame and Chaos Bed Vestiges and they seem fairly decent, they're somewhat faster and can one-shot stuff like the pointiff knights.

Pyro is definitely better, 90% of the spells suck massive dicks (Seriusly, what's up with the spell that you get from the soul of a demon in Farron? It's a bitch to aim, has short range and does... 80 damage?) and you'll basically be stuck shooting fireballs all game, but they work. The AOE nature of the last two fireballs make them somehow viable even in PvP and quite a few bosses are actually weak to it.

If you are like me and can't stand melee combat and still want to play a mage, it's the way to go.

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
Has anyone found weapons upgraded by twinkling titanite or dragon scales that are worth using? Looking at weapons on the wiki, it seems like all of them have really shitty scaling and you'd be better off with something that can be infused.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
The Irrithyl rapier is a solid quality weapon I'd say. Has wrecked many a boss for me. That is rather late game though.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

I have a beautiful life baby. Except for them past two weeks. Goddamn Dark Souls.

Has anyone found weapons upgraded by twinkling titanite or dragon scales that are worth using? Looking at weapons on the wiki, it seems like all of them have really shitty scaling and you'd be better off with something that can be infused.

As usual From's philosophy seems to be "Hey, they're BOSS weapons right? So we give them shitty scaling, max +5 upgrade and no infusion of buffing. Because they're BOSS weapons right? They're powerful enough."

So yeah, +10 buffed or infused normal weapons are again superior. But to be fair, some of the specials are good because of their moveset (Farron Greatsword) or sheer awesomeness (Black Knight Greataxe, Yhorm's).

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom