Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Dark Souls 3

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
480 graphics card will do that.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
I want to see one of the 'git gudders' best this game with fat roll :) which was totally possible in 1 and 2 but muh refined mechanics

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
What exactly do I need to do to advance Siegward's story after the battle with the fire demon? I've opened both shortcuts and Siegward hasn't appeared yet outside Cleansing Chapel. Could I have fucked his quest because I progressed in the catacombs (killed high lord something) before opening the shortcuts in the cathedral of the deep?

You need to meet with Patches, he is in a tower at Firelink shrine whcih you can enter wih a 20.000 soul costing key or insane jumping skills. You need to buy Siegward's full armor set from him.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
So after 120 hours clocked in the game I was finally summoned as a blue spirit. I even forgot I have the insignia equiped. I was so awestruck I tried hastily to change my rings and weapons for PvP, sadly I was spawned right in the middle of a gangbang with two purples and a bunch of PvE mobs wailing on the host and his sunbro. I was stunlocked and dunked in about two seconds before I could even react. Oh well, I'm sure imma do better next time, in another 120 hours.

praetor

Arcane
What exactly do I need to do to advance Siegward's story after the battle with the fire demon? I've opened both shortcuts and Siegward hasn't appeared yet outside Cleansing Chapel. Could I have fucked his quest because I progressed in the catacombs (killed high lord something) before opening the shortcuts in the cathedral of the deep?

You need to meet with Patches, he is in a tower at Firelink shrine whcih you can enter wih a 20.000 soul costing key or insane jumping skills. You need to buy Siegward's full armor set from him.

a) he said he didn't meet him at the Cathedral, so meeting Patches is irrelevant. to make Siegheil appear in the well, you need to open the big doors at the top of the cathedral

b) no insane jumping skills can get you inside the tower, unless you count some kind of noclip cheat flying as "jumping" :P. you need the 20k key to open the door and get there for Patches to appear (supposedly he can also appear in the cathedral around one of the 2 giants dressed as the onion dude, but it didn't happen for me)

but yeah, you need to buy his armour and give it to him in the well to advance the questline (i don't think just killing Wolnir is enough to void the quest, but you never know... btw, ghostdog , when in Irithyll Valley and you get to a watery area, you'll find a bonfire there. to continue Sieg's quest, do not go down the path further down in that bonfire, as entering that next area can break the questline if you don't speak with him first in Irithyll "proper" [it's near that bonfire so you can get that out of the way pretty soon]. another questline tip which i personally fucked up: when Sieg's there in Irithyll, you should trigger Greirat's 2nd scavenge hunt when he asks to go to Irithyll as that way he'll survive and come back)

oh, and new meta:

Perkel

Arcane
oh, and new meta:

heh i meet few guys like those already. It spreads like estoc guys.

Reminds me of DS2 greatswords dudes when i run bell covenant. Fancy weapon and techniques but i killed them with just a poison dagger, lighting bow and knives.

Always fun to watch when you take people out of their comfort zone.

This is more fun:

Last edited:

MapMan

Arcane
So after 120 hours clocked in the game I was finally summoned as a blue spirit. I even forgot I have the insignia equiped. I was so awestruck I tried hastily to change my rings and weapons for PvP, sadly I was spawned right in the middle of a gangbang with two purples and a bunch of PvE mobs wailing on the host and his sunbro. I was stunlocked and dunked in about two seconds before I could even react. Oh well, I'm sure imma do better next time, in another 120 hours.
DELETE THIS!!! LEAVE MIYAZAKI ALONE!!! IT'S ONLY HIS FOURTH ATTEMPT AT CONVENANTS, YOU CAN'T BLAME HIM FOR SOME MINOR FLAWS!!! ITS PROLLY TEAM B FAULT ANYWAY!!!

janior

Arcane
Patron
So is it shit like DS2 or better? From what iv'e seen it looks bland as fuck with a lot of copy pasted stuff.

Perkel

Arcane
So is it shit like DS2 or better? From what iv'e seen it looks bland as fuck with a lot of copy pasted stuff.

It is better in every way. Just some DS2 retards venting their anger that no one agrees with them. That is normal there always will be people who love shit and will defend that shit till they die.

It isn't perfect but fixes most of problems with DS2 and reaches new hights on important areas like level design or monster design.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron

a) he said he didn't meet him at the Cathedral, so meeting Patches is irrelevant. to make Siegheil appear in the well, you need to open the big doors at the top of the cathedral

b) no insane jumping skills can get you inside the tower, unless you count some kind of noclip cheat flying as "jumping" :P. you need the 20k key to open the door and get there for Patches to appear (supposedly he can also appear in the cathedral around one of the 2 giants dressed as the onion dude, but it didn't happen for me)

but yeah, you need to buy his armour and give it to him in the well to advance the questline (i don't think just killing Wolnir is enough to void the quest, but you never know... btw, ghostdog , when in Irithyll Valley and you get to a watery area, you'll find a bonfire there. to continue Sieg's quest, do not go down the path further down in that bonfire, as entering that next area can break the questline if you don't speak with him first in Irithyll "proper" [it's near that bonfire so you can get that out of the way pretty soon]. another questline tip which i personally fucked up: when Sieg's there in Irithyll, you should trigger Greirat's 2nd scavenge hunt when he asks to go to Irithyll as that way he'll survive and come back)

Thanks for the info but I can't seem to trigger his appearance in the well. I have opened the big doors on the top of the cathedral (I believe you mean the doors at a big balcony where at one end a bunch of hollows are praying to a statue) Both shortcuts in the chapel are opened. Is there some other place you can meet Sieg? Shit, this quest is probably fucked.

janior

Arcane
Patron
It got me scared at first cause it visually looks like DS2 mixed with BB lol. PvP still is trash but honestly i don't care that much. Well, i'll go to the store today and get it i guess.

PS. Fuck DS2 fags.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist

Thanks for the info but I can't seem to trigger his appearance in the well. I have opened the big doors on the top of the cathedral (I believe you mean the doors at a big balcony where at one end a bunch of hollows are praying to a statue) Both shortcuts in the chapel are opened. Is there some other place you can meet Sieg? Shit, this quest is probably fucked.
That would be impressive if that were the case, because on my current run, I haven't encountered patches yet, didn't kill the fire demon, and onionbro still showed up in the well begging for help after I opened up those doors. Game in general seems very resillient about continuing questlines compared to the previous two games, which were very very easy to fuck up.

Perkel

Arcane
It's not better in terms of PvP or covenants, they went full lazy/retard there.

Define "better" here.

Because something tells me just people who invade now are butthurt they can't fight single dudes for easy kill or they don't understand mechanics and claimed weirdest things to assume it is worse.

I mean like we had this talk about poise at start of this thread and how everyone claimed that POISE doesn't exist. Then people noticed it actally existed but DS2 fags still claimed lol it doesn't matter much now after a while we know it exist and works like intended (as in most of poise went into attacks themselves insted of being stats) and somehow people with single handed weapons don't dominate anymore pvp.
Then we had R1 spam brigade. Claiming R1 is only thing you need in PvE and PvP which is both false as later monsters have way much more poise defense and can't be easily staggered and in PvP most of poise comes from mentioned moves.
Now we are in covenants. People claim they don't work. First it was Mad phantoms. "Lol they don't work" "COPY PASTE RED PHANTOMS" when they do actually work and their invasions are differnt toward both red phantoms which they can kill or hosts which they can help. Then there is blue sentinels. I sort of agree there is probably more people now that wants to be sentinels than people wearing way of the blue sign and math checks out with my invasions as red phantom where every almost second invasion leeds to apperence of blue sentinels.

As time will go on there will be probably more "problems" claimed by DS2 faggots because they are reaching for anything to prove themselves that DS2 isn't shit compared to other DS games.

All Dark Souls games are very good games, DS and DSIII are better action games and DSII is a better action RPG. Fucking chill out about this shit already.

praetor

Arcane
Define "better" here.

Because something tells me just people who invade now are butthurt they can't fight single dudes for easy kill or they don't understand mechanics and claimed weirdest things to assume it is worse.

I mean like we had this talk about poise at start of this thread and how everyone claimed that POISE doesn't exist. Then people noticed it actally existed but DS2 fags still claimed lol it doesn't matter much now after a while we know it exist and works like intended (as in most of poise went into attacks themselves insted of being stats) and somehow people with single handed weapons don't dominate anymore pvp.
Then we had R1 spam brigade. Claiming R1 is only thing you need in PvE and PvP which is both false as later monsters have way much more poise defense and can't be easily staggered and in PvP most of poise comes from mentioned moves.
Now we are in covenants. People claim they don't work. First it was Mad phantoms. "Lol they don't work" "COPY PASTE RED PHANTOMS" when they do actually work and their invasions are differnt toward both red phantoms which they can kill or hosts which they can help. Then there is blue sentinels. I sort of agree there is probably more people now that wants to be sentinels than people wearing way of the blue sign and math checks out with my invasions as red phantom where every almost second invasion leeds to apperence of blue sentinels.

As time will go on there will be probably more "problems" claimed by DS2 faggots because they are reaching for anything to prove themselves that DS2 isn't shit compared to other DS games.

you're a colossal retard and the worst possible example of the irrational, unthinking fanboy. i'm literally having trouble comprehending how you have the mental capacity to breathe and type at the same time

define "better"? how about something that actually fucking works? how about covenants that aren't literal copypastes of each other? how's that for "better"? jesus, even the netcode right now is about an order of magnitude worse than DaS1. yeah, summonings/invasions are faster, but about half the time when you enter into somebody else's world, you're either instantly sent back due to connection errors or timeouts or are in one of those bugged sessions where nobody has animations. it's unreliable and buggy as fuck. and that's an indisputable fact

poise exists but doesn't work. pretty much every single dude who analyses PvP mechanics more time and more accurately than you could possibly comprehend has confirmed this: poise doesn't do shit. it doesn't extend hyperarmour frames and has no bearing on staggering while not attacking. it's either broken or so obscure as to be useless. and that's an indisputable fact

people with singlehanded weapons don't dominate PvP? wtf are you talking about? stunlocking with fast small weapons is still the number one strategy in PvP, by far. and when it isn't, it's 1-shot parries with the hornet ring (how fucking stupid do you have to be to bring that piece of shit ring back? B-team? more like Z-team level of idiocy). and that's an indisputable fact

who the fuck claimed mad phantoms don't work? a) you don't understand how they work. they can't help hosts if they invade, only if they're summoned through the purple sign, and reds can kill reds since forever. the only difference (other than the rewards, obviously) between purple and red invasions is that the purple can accomplish his goal by killing phantoms. b) it doesn't "work" as in "it's designed by a bunch of retards who would make you proud" because nobody in their right mind would ever summon a purple sign when there's a metric shitton of white/gold, and the purples can't help you with the boss... so in the end you're left with a copypasted red covenant (i'm sensing a theme here...).

ironic how you accuse others of not understanding mechanics while you're the biggest moron around here who doesn't even begin to understand them (not to mention often praises the game for trivial stuff that was done just as good if not better in the previous ones)

and when it comes to combat, balance and online, DaS2 is about seven orders of magnitude better than DaS3 right now (in before the "lololo DaS2 was also shit balance at release": does that mean that every Souls game needs to be at this level of dumbfuckery for at least a year [DaS2 was actually fixed and at an excellent place much sooner]? does this in some twisted, fanboyish way excuse the sorry state of affairs of DaS3 currently? if you answered "yes", you should not be wasting oxygen and polluting the gene pool)

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron

That would be impressive if that were the case, because on my current run, I haven't encountered patches yet, didn't kill the fire demon, and onionbro still showed up in the well begging for help after I opened up those doors. Game in general seems very resillient about continuing questlines compared to the previous two games, which were very very easy to fuck up.
Yeah, scratch that, I found sieg in the well after all.
It seems you first need to find Rosaria's bonfire to get the quest to move on. It also seems you can meet patches (and get conned) in two different areas depending on how you go about things. One in the Cathedral and one in the shrine. It's pretty cool.

Last edited:

caldera

Novice
With 30 hours clocked and approaching the final bosses, I've got to say that DS3 is an amazing experience. It gets better as you go on, some of the areas are just stunningly beautiful.
Gameplay, character movement and overall pace of the game is a huge improvement over DS2.
That being said, I'd argue that this chapter in Souls series is a lot more linear experience, if we compare it with previous parts. Bonfire layout is somewhat forgiving and convenient for most of the boss fights, reducing the downtime between a repeat of a failed fight, making the game slightly less frustrating in that sense. I've got a feeling that "From" just went for a slightly more streamlined approach, making it simpler to just enjoy the game world, because it has a lot to offer, without getting frustrated about the distance you need to cover to get your lost souls back.

Perkel

Arcane
praetor have you actually finished game ?

you're a colossal retard and the worst possible example of the irrational, unthinking fanboy. i'm literally having trouble comprehending how you have the mental capacity to breathe and type at the same time

It least i am not DS2 faggot.

define "better"? how about something that actually fucking works? how about covenants that aren't literal copypastes of each other? how's that for "better"? jesus, even the netcode right now is about an order of magnitude worse than DaS1. yeah, summonings/invasions are faster, but about half the time when you enter into somebody else's world, you're either instantly sent back due to connection errors or timeouts or are in one of those bugged sessions where nobody has animations. it's unreliable and buggy as fuck. and that's an indisputable fact

Seems like you never played DS2 at start when whole bunch of people played and it didn't work properly. So far when i summon or invade rarely it doesn't work. It is either unable to summon which means that sign was used by someone or .... nothing else. Mentioned by you animations problem i saw literally twice and after few seconds it started to work. Maybe you should check out region you play because it seems to check per country not per region and if you switch on matchmaking then you are literally connected to people from wholeworld.

Unreliable and buggy my ass.

poise exists but doesn't work. pretty much every single dude who analyses PvP mechanics more time and more accurately than you could possibly comprehend has confirmed this: poise doesn't do shit. it doesn't extend hyperarmour frames and has no bearing on staggering while not attacking. it's either broken or so obscure as to be useless. and that's an indisputable fact

"Hyperpoise" not "hyperarmor". Hyperarmor is for things like when you miss parry. You are given then hyperarmor and receive less damage than normally.

Hyperpoise=/= poise=/= stagger.

Stagger depends on both poise defense and weapon poise damage.

If you attack someone with dagger he will still do stagger animation but he will be able to super quickly roll or attack himself despite animation of being staggered still playing.
If you attack someone with estoc you will be able to string more R1 hits (especially since it is fast) and monster or enemy won't be able to quickly respond.

You can easily see this if you will test R1 vs charged R2 attack. In R1 case monster like pot guy will quickly shrug it off where in case of R2 he will stagger a lot longer.

With bigger weapons you can do antistagger moves that give you hyperpoise and punish R1 spammers or monsters that attack quick.

Finally we arrive at poise defense which gives you simply quicker response to being staggered. The more poise you have the faster you can response after being attacked by any attack. With high enough poise you will be able shrug smaller attacks and quickly regain control after attack which does take away control from you.

Monsters still have poise break points. You can not only stagger them by each attack but also accumulate on them poise damage to ensue looong stagger (usually with its own animation) for both bosses and normal monsters.

people with singlehanded weapons don't dominate PvP? wtf are you talking about? stunlocking with fast small weapons is still the number one strategy in PvP, by far. and when it isn't, it's 1-shot parries with the hornet ring (how fucking stupid do you have to be to bring that piece of shit ring back? B-team? more like Z-team level of idiocy). and that's an indisputable fact

popularity =/= dominance and this is why you are faggot.

Single handed weapons are currently popular because they are easy to use and there are shitload of noobs who play and noobs can't deal with someone using quick weapon
If you actually watch PVP by someone who actually can play you will see that all of those estoc and katana guys are getting smashed like nothing by two handers or other types of weapons.

Only reason estoc is popular is because of group mentiality going for cookie cutter builds they think are the best. You posted that greatshield build and you already have people doing it. Someone else will find something else and horde of other people will move onto next thing. That is how it works since forever in online games.

But that doesn't mean something is automatically better which is why despite that fact that "estoc spam is superior" i can easily dispatch those retards when they invade me because i can predict what they will do and i have my own style to counter those idiots.

On hornet ring i agree but it isn't as known or used by most (due to most of people in pvp being casuls).
Still game isn't out even a month so they will probably patch it out quickly.

And i love how you were the one who started whole " DS3 will be backstab fest because they bring back DS1 backstab !!! LOLZ" and this is the hardest DS3 to pull off backstab for both monsters and pvp.

Too see completely if this will be better than any DS game or worse we need time.

who the fuck claimed mad phantoms don't work? a) you don't understand how they work. they can't help hosts if they invade, only if they're summoned through the purple sign, and reds can kill reds since forever. the only difference (other than the rewards, obviously) between purple and red invasions is that the purple can accomplish his goal by killing phantoms. b) it doesn't "work" as in "it's designed by a bunch of retards who would make you proud" because nobody in their right mind would ever summon a purple sign when there's a metric shitton of white/gold, and the purples can't help you with the boss... so in the end you're left with a copypasted red covenant (i'm sensing a theme here...).

Mad phantom can "win" by killing ANY phantom. blue sentinel, white, red even other mad. And this is why i meant by "help". If you invade as red phantom you can only kill host to acomplish your goal while mad phantom it is unknown he can help you now by killing red phantom and defending you from red phantoms (which is actually good tactic to play as mad phantom due to finger item which puts you on the top of targets list)

And this is why that covenant works.

Because in case of red phantom + mad phantom both host and red phantom don't know what mad phantom will do where in case of another red phantom first red phantom knows than that other guy won't win anything by dueling with each other.

So what mad phantom will do then ?:
- join red phantom ?
- join host ?
- wait for them to go at each other and then strike when someone is down ?

In all of those cases mad phantom "wins" so they are all equally viable ways.
This is why this covenant works and it is actually fun to play.

ironic how you accuse others of not understanding mechanics while you're the biggest moron around here who doesn't even begin to understand them (not to mention often praises the game for trivial stuff that was done just as good if not better in the previous ones)

I am not the one that takes on any mechanic that isn't yet figured out and starts to say bullshit that hasn't had any proper research into it.
Same with armor being useless. Turns out armor also does work. It isn't just broken like it used to in DS1 and DS2 where it mitigated shitload of armor and most of armor came from armor not vitality+armor like in DS3 case

and when it comes to combat, balance and online, DaS2 is about seven orders of magnitude better than DaS3 right now (in before the "lololo DaS2 was also shit balance at release": does that mean that every Souls game needs to be at this level of dumbfuckery for at least a year [DaS2 was actually fixed and at an excellent place much sooner]? does this in some twisted, fanboyish way excuse the sorry state of affairs of DaS3 currently? if you answered "yes", you should not be wasting oxygen and polluting the gene pool)

DS2 was shit at release and it wasn't magically fixed in few weeks.
This is why again you are faggot.
Not only you claim idiotic things like DS2 magically being teh best online game since start where it clearly wasn't by a long shot for a long time but also you claim DS3 online being broken where it is clearly better place as it were with DS2. IT works, pvp works, covenants even work but due to share number of people playing some covenants are simply way to staffed (like in case of blue sentinels ). It will normalize once casuls will go to next new thing.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
It's weird. On one hand, it's not as brutally unforgiving in its approach to side-quests as the other two games, so you won't run in to situations like, say, getting locked out of the Lucatiel of Mirrah questline because she decided she could solo the Smelter demon and got her face smashed in, but on the other hand, figuring out some of the triggers for quests is a bit more tricky. There seems to be a roughly agreed upon method to get them to progress, but it isn't really reliable yet since other random events seem to trigger them as well. Guess that'll change in a month or so's time once everyone's figured everything out.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I mean like we had this talk about poise at start of this thread and how everyone claimed that POISE doesn't exist. Then people noticed it actally exist and works like intended (as in most of poise went into attacks themselves insted of being stats) and somehow people with single handed weapons don't dominate anymore pvp.

What you mean here is called hyper armour, that's a special case of poise and nobody is talking about that. Noone knows if poise in general works "as intended" since noone has a clue what From inteded this time around. But it's definitely much much much less useful than in previous DS.

poise exists but doesn't work

It works in an extremelly limited way - it improves your roll recovery. This dude figured it out.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom