Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Dark Souls 3

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Wolf sword has a pretty cool moveset too (the one for joining the covenant) it has some bullshit flippy moves that might be fun to screw with in pvp. And I mentioned the moonlight sword before already.

Also, buffed weapons seem really underwhelming to me this time around. Considering the high cost and short duration of the buff, it doesn't actually add that much damage, unless you're buffing a dagger or something.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Isn't the Wolf sword just a copy of Abyss Greatsword from DS1? I dunno what 'abyssal enemies' are but it seems like a pretty crappy perk when you compare the stats to something like the Claymore which has a better moveset. In DS1 the Abyssal sword had humanity scale which made it somewhat okay.

Last edited:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Wolf sword has a pretty cool moveset too (the one for joining the covenant) it has some bullshit flippy moves that might be fun to screw with in pvp. And I mentioned the moonlight sword before already.

Also, buffed weapons seem really underwhelming to me this time around. Considering the high cost and short duration of the buff, it doesn't actually add that much damage, unless you're buffing a dagger or something.

Don't have the Wolf sword since the Watchdog covenant is completely inaccessible for me. I just never get summoned. Like, never. And I'm not gonna farm satyrs all day for the grass.

Moonlight sword sucks man, it's short and it does split damage. The weapon art is cool but it takes too long.

And buffs are much worse than in previous DS, true. Tho as I said, an estoc with Crystal Weapon is a beast in PvP.

Perkel

Arcane
So, poise, which is something you gain from wearing heavy armor, and is supposed to represent your momentum and stability while moving, actually makes you... more agile, by letting you roll out of being staggered more easily.

Am I understanding this correctly?

More like it dampens hits you receive so stun is shorter in some attacks thanks to this you are not getting stunned so much or at all. Which is how poise should work.

Last edited:

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Would anyone be down to play a Souls game that's basically just one giant dungeon? Something similar to Ultima Underworld, where you have many layers that get more deadly as you go deeper, with different architecture for each zone. When playing through Irithyll dungeon and then the Profaned Capital I was disappointed it just stopped there and I wanted to keep going deeper. You'd still have NPCs and quests and maybe a central hub somewhere like Firelink/the Nexus, except all the zones would be underground dungeons, caverns, tombs or whatever that got progressively more deadly the deeper you went. Kinda like the first Diablo.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
So, I was wrecking shit up and taking names at PvP yesterday night. 2nd journey, SL 100 with 2 +10 weapons and a +5 greatshield.

Most of the player seem to fancy light attack spam with quick weapons and light armor. Well, say hello to my little "stomp" weapon art and its 1.000.000 worth of poise. Noone was able to break my poise while stomping and most of them are dead after 3 heavy attack combo follow up. A few survived that combo but they remain staggered enough for me to finish them with a last second light attack.

Perkel

Arcane

Would anyone be down to play a Souls game that's basically just one giant dungeon? Something similar to Ultima Underworld, where you have many layers that get more deadly as you go deeper, with different architecture for each zone.

yup This partially reason why whole burg> deeps> blightown> demon ruins> lost izalith felt so awesome. And i too was thinking that they should make whole game like that. Shortcuts with this aproach could be really well designed.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
yup This partially reason why whole burg> deeps> blightown> demon ruins> lost izalith felt so awesome.

Demon Ruins and Lost Izalith didn't feel awesome, they were by far the worst designed levels in the franchise. Amazingly From even managed to repeat that glorious feat in DS3, tho to be fair Demon Ruins this time around are only moderately bad.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
So, poise, which is something you gain from wearing heavy armor, and is supposed to represent your momentum and stability while moving, actually makes you... more agile, by letting you roll out of being staggered more easily.

Am I understanding this correctly?

More like it dampens hits you receive so stun is shorter in some attacks thanks to this you are not getting stunned so much or at all. Which is how poise should work.

Are you really retarded or something? That's not what is claimed in that video at all. What they say is that poise lets you avoid getting stunned during your non-iframe roll animation. Which is by far the most useless it's ever been and doesn't help using heavy weapons in the slightest.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
Don't bother with Perkel, he'll just spout some more blather about how you "Don't understand the mechanics" then ignore you when you point out how he's full of shit and continue posting as if nothing happened.

made

Arcane
What's with the demon ruins anyway? What's that spider witch doing so far away from Izalith? Makes no sense to me. Seems like they have all those rehashed areas from DS1 simply for sentimental value.

Perkel

Arcane
Are you really retarded or something? That's not what is claimed in that video at all. What they say is that poise lets you avoid getting stunned during your non-iframe roll animation. Which is by far the most useless it's ever been and doesn't help using heavy weapons in the slightest.

Maybe you should finish watching that video before you spread bullshit. Yes you get avoid stun on roll but he also specified how without poise on one R1 attack he could be stun chained where with poise he can't.
Most of poise now comes from attacks and weapons you are using and not only from armor.
Poise from armor seems to be added to poise you receive when you do specified attack.

This is why doing R2 attack with Zweihander in heavy armor rarely someone can stop you while doing R2 attack with dagger in same heavy armor dude doing R1 can stop you.

Don't bother with Perkel, he'll just spout some more blather about how you "Don't understand the mechanics"

Well in your case in his you don't understand mechanics apparently.

Demon Ruins and Lost Izalith didn't feel awesome, they were by far the worst designed levels in the franchise. Amazingly From even managed to repeat that glorious feat in DS3, tho to be fair Demon Ruins this time around are only moderately bad.

I was talking about progression going down. Area design was terrible in demon ruins and lost I.
If you don't like this example then tree in blightown and then ashlake.

edit:

Further tested today it.

There is noticeable difference between poise at start of attack and in middle of attack. At start of attack you don't get much poise from attack but once you start attack you get that boost.

Tested it with Zweihander in undead settlement on pitchfork guys.

At start of attack wearing nothing all atacks can stun me.
In middle of r1 attack most of attacks can't stun me
In middle of r2 attack didn't find any attack that can stun me

While wearing 18 poise armor no attack could stop r1 slash but still they would able to stun me while in first stage of attack.

IMO Poise isn't definitive value. It is probably % So 18 poise means your stun treshold probably is up by 18% or attacks you receive have 18% less stun effectivness.
Either way most of stun mechanic is now on weapons.

Last edited:

Cowboy Moment

Arcane

Maybe you should finish watching that video before you spread bullshit. Yes you get avoid stun on roll but he also specified how without poise on one R1 attack he could be stun chained where with poise he can't.
Most of poise now comes from attacks and weapons you are using and not only from armor.
Poise from armor seems to be added to poise you receive when you do specified attack.

This is why doing R2 attack with Zweihander in heavy armor rarely someone can stop you while doing R2 attack with dagger in same heavy armor dude doing R1 can stop you.

Dude, you either misunderstood what was being said or you are honestly just plain stupid. The only thing poise, the stat, does according to the video is let you avoid getting stunned while rolling. This allows you to escape the particular stunlock he was describing, where you move a bit after each R1 to reset the stun counter. But that is all poise does.

The effect of being immune to being stunned during certain attack animation frames is called hyperarmor, it is not poise, and, as far as we know, has nothing to do with poise. That video certainly makes no such claims. The only known source for this is yourself, hardly a paragon of reliability if I may be blunt. Do you have any proof that this is, in fact, what happens?

In fact, what you're describing is kinda how poise worked in DS2, where it worked differently while attacking and got an additional boost for heavy weapons. Thus far, DS3 seems to be following the DeS model, where no poise existed and hyperarmor was absolute - there was no way to stagger an enemy out of hyperarmored frames. Can you demonstrate that in DS3 an attack with hyperarmor can be stopped if the attacker is naked? That's basically what you're claiming.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Further tested today it.

There is noticeable difference between poise at start of attack and in middle of attack. At start of attack you don't get much poise from attack but once you start attack you get that boost.
IMO Poise isn't definitive value. It is probably % So 18 poise means your stun treshold probably is up by 18% or attacks you receive have 18% less stun effectivness.
Either way most of stun mechanic is now on weapons.

Jesus Perkel, you're beyond repair bro :lol: People like you are called transmitters - they're physically unable to listen, only to broadcast.

Malpercio

Arcane
What's with the demon ruins anyway? What's that spider witch doing so far away from Izalith? Makes no sense to me. Seems like they have all those rehashed areas from DS1 simply for sentimental value.

The Demon ruin IS Izalith...

Mortmal

Arcane
Has anyone found weapons upgraded by twinkling titanite or dragon scales that are worth using? Looking at weapons on the wiki, it seems like all of them have really shitty scaling and you'd be better off with something that can be infused.
Dragon slayer shield for the 95% lightning resistance. It can tank nameless king, and its hilarious in pvp to see people charging their weapon with electricity , spending all their stamina hitting the shield like retards...

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
The effect of being immune to being stunned during certain attack animation frames is called hyperarmor, it is not poise, and, as far as we know, has nothing to do with poise.

Hyperamour is basically infinite poise. It's not i-frames, you still get damaged if you get hit, you just don't get staggered.

Murk

Arcane
That's what he said bro. He said 'immune to being stunned', not immune to damage.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
That's what he said bro. He said 'immune to being stunned', not immune to damage.
I was reacting to "has nothing to do with poise". I'm saying it probably does. Doesn't matter tho, whatever it is it's besides the point Perkel is making.

made

Arcane
The Demon ruin IS Izalith...
Yea I was thinking of Lothric as being a separate kingdom a ways off from Lordran, the original neighborhood of Anor Londo where you fly to from Sen's. But I guess it makes more sense if Lothric occupies the same physical space but at a later time, or exists apart but connects to all the realms at certain points. Woah. Dude.

Mystary!

Arcane
Speaking of poise...
Appearently the devs have deliberately turned it OFF

Turns out, changing a pointer in the game files or using a debugger/hex editor/memory scanner to make the 0 to a 1 results with this.
67.97 and 1.00 poise respectively for those who are wondering whats the difference between taking 8 hits for stagger and every hit staggering.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
I was reacting to "has nothing to do with poise". I'm saying it probably does. Doesn't matter tho, whatever it is it's besides the point Perkel is making.

As far as we know, poise - the stat - does not interact with weapon-based hyperarmor in any way (and as far as I'm aware, it is actually proper hyperarmor and cannot be broken, though I could be wrong on that one). That was my point.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Speaking of poise...

Turns out, changing a pointer in the game files or using a debugger/hex editor/memory scanner to make the 0 to a 1 results with this.
67.97 and 1.00 poise respectively for those who are wondering whats the difference between taking 8 hits for stagger and every hit staggering.

I haven't watched the video at all.. but that pointer could be referencing a poise modifier instead of a boolean. It could be a tuning value for creatures to cheat their poise beyond what players have.
Just throwing out another option but I could be wrong.. I have zero context on what that pointer value is or even what value type it is.

Perkel

Arcane
Dude, you either misunderstood what was being said or you are honestly just plain stupid. The only thing poise, the stat, does according to the video is let you avoid getting stunned while rolling. This allows you to escape the particular stunlock he was describing, where you move a bit after each R1 to reset the stun counter. But that is all poise does.

The effect of being immune to being stunned during certain attack animation frames is called hyperarmor, it is not poise, and, as far as we know, has nothing to do with poise. That video certainly makes no such claims. The only known source for this is yourself, hardly a paragon of reliability if I may be blunt. Do you have any proof that this is, in fact, what happens?

In fact, what you're describing is kinda how poise worked in DS2, where it worked differently while attacking and got an additional boost for heavy weapons. Thus far, DS3 seems to be following the DeS model, where no poise existed and hyperarmor was absolute - there was no way to stagger an enemy out of hyperarmored frames. Can you demonstrate that in DS3 an attack with hyperarmor can be stopped if the attacker is naked? That's basically what you're claiming.

Yeah it looks i was wrong. I tested today extensively this and i can confirm that:

- Hyperpoise (because hyperarmor is already used for parry additional armor in DS games and frankly speaking doesn't make any sense to use it here as it has nothing to do with damage reduction) does indeed not get better with poise stat. I tested more than 20-30 weapons from small ones to bigger ones and getting hit for more than 20 monters with armors 20 poise and 0 (no armor).

So while using small weapons you have very small to no window in which you can actually manage to get hit and still drive attack. On daggers this almost doesn't exist regardless if you are using R1 or R2 attacks. While on UGSs after initial start of animation almost whole rest of attack is stun-proof.

Poise as you said does work on roll stun. Without poise on any attack you will get stunned into default standing animation from roll. While with high poise your can roll through attacks get hit and still continue roll. Great for gank squads as you can roll through them not risking getting stunlocked much or escaping from bad strike. This also counters R1 spam as apperently iframes on roll don't start imminently (needs further testing) which is why people without poise can get stunlocked while getting R1s in their face and can't roll out.

Stun on other hand is not completely managed by weapon and type of attack used. This goes both to player and monsters. Like i previously noticed difference in stun duration between R1 and R2 is huge and each weapon seems to have different stun length applied but in testing for player this is more due to weapon type than unique value to weapon. Seems like FROM is using here several types of hitstun length and assigns them to different attacks and weapons instead of creating unique stun lengths to each weapon. So smaller weapons share almost the same stun lenght with each other while bigger ones R1 attacks produce longer stuns.

Monster on other hand seems to vary widely. Pitchfork guys have 3-4 different attacks creating long or short stuns while Pot guys have 3 types of stun + flattening.

Monsters also on other hand do follow previous DS formula where they accumulate poise damage and eventually get staggered due to poise break + their have working poise like in previous games so Knights in castle can shrug off some of attacks depending on what weapon you are using.

TLDR:
Armor gives you:
- flat damage reduction done just wearing armor pieces + stat scaling where VIT works like Resistance in DS1 increasing a lot flat damage reduction.
- % based damage mitigation after damage flat reduction
- poise that affects your rolling stun threshold. Without it you can get stunlocked.
- due to how damage is also calculated as in more damage the less flat damage reduction gives you and the more % mitigation gives you, heavy armor is best for biggest attacks and good for smaller attacks due to VIT scaling which is needed for heavy armor. But wearing heavy armor without VIT scaling isn't really any better than wearing other type of armor for small medium attacks due to above mechanics.

Weapon:
- governs most of poise mechanic this time around as in gives you window in which attack can't be interrupted (hyperpoise)
- the bigger weapon the bigger that window
- various types of attacks produce different stuns of receivers

As far as we know, poise - the stat - does not interact with weapon-based hyperarmor in any way (and as far as I'm aware, it is actually proper hyperarmor and cannot be broken, though I could be wrong on that one). That was my point.

I tested it now extensively and indeed poise doesn't seem to be added to attacks unlike i previously tested. IT is window frame based on weapon not on stat or anything else. It needs further testing but i think what i did was preatty conclusive (basically wearing 20 poise armor/no armor and trying to get hit in various stages of attack with same weapons trying few weapons)

Speaking of poise...

Great vid. Maybe poise indeed has bug now. Or it is deliberate and FROM wants players to get poise from attacks instead of just armor. I think in few weeks we will know it as they will be patching things.

BTW: patch notes:

App Ver 1.04

Regulation Ver 1.05

Rough translation:

• Fixed a bug where you might not get items properly while accessing a covenant when a player joins your game.

• Some NPCs questline events have been made easier to trigger.

• Made the requirement for joining the Rosaria's Fingers less strict.

• Fixed a bug when teleporting to Untended Graves.

• Amended an issue where kicks were being parried.

• Fixed a bug where Crystal Sage would not re-appear after warping in.

• Fixed a bug where Dragonslayer Armour would die on its own before you fight.

• Fixed a bug where Knight Slayer Tsorig would continue to gesture.

• Fixed a bug where Siegward would fail to save Greirat even though the conditions have been met.

• Fixed a bug where, when wearing a ring that increases Max HP, the change would not be reflected in some menus.

• Fixed a bug where the voice chat icon would show (or not show) according to the settings.

• Fixed a bug where the voice chat icon would continue to display when HUD display is set to AUTO.

• (Xbox One) Fixed a bug where you can't access the functions Quit Game, access bonfire, or use online play items when failing to connect to an online session.

• (Xbox One) Fixed a bug where the game would crash to the title screen when you fail to connect to an online session.

• Fine tuned various other things, fine tune performance, and corrected various bugs.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom