Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Dark Souls 3

Bradylama

Arcane
Just had an amazing NG+ experience. Playing on my Guts character, with nothing but Caestus, Avelyn, and +10 Greatsword. I reach High Wall of Lothric and am almost immediately invaded. I wait by the first bonfire but he's a no-show. So I go about killing monsters and picking up items. Then suddenly I run into the guy and he's using a concealment ring, and isn't attacking me. As if that'd ever work on somebody who is SL 120. In the first tower he's fucking around, so I take the opportunity for a backstab. He drops down to the lower level before the Wyvern shows up, and I almost kill him but the little bugger gets away. He's trying to bait me out through the monsters. There's no way I can catch up with him, so I just keep playing through the level normally.

Turns out you can light the bonfires even with an invading phantom, which is nice to know.

In the tower under the second bonfire there's a Sunbro summoning sign. Some dork in the Nameless King set. Odd spot to leave a sign but I figure wth I need help with this maroon. We get to the second symbiote hollow and the guy takes him out before it transforms, and I wanted the goodies. All of a sudden *HEADSHOT*, the summon phantom is killed in a single blow. Turns out the invading phantom was parked on the roof across the corner from the ladder, with a Dragonslayer Great Bow. I gave him an applause because goddamn that was a good shot. He's parked on that roof and there's only one angle to jump on there. So I fuck around with him a bit. He gets a few shots in on me and I'm downing Estus, hit him with an Avelyn volley but that's not gonna kill him so I just keep playing through the level normally. He tries to come down and shoot me in the back while the spear knight is aggro'd on me, but I take out the knight and get a few hits in on him with the Greatsword. I seriously got him down to 1 Health but the fucker got away from me down the ladder, and made it past the winged knight to heal up. So I go back and kill the monsters, get the items. I'm hoping this guy will quit but he just doesn't give up. Rare patience.

He's trying to shoot me while I'm fighting the knights in the courtyard, but no dice. At this point I'm down to 3 Estus, and he's trying to bait me into the Red Eyes Knight. There are plenty of summon spots in front of the Boreal Dancer section, so I start summoning one in. Now, finally, after investing all of that time into trying to gank me the invading phantom quits and returns to his world. Real anticlimax. The guy I summoned in really wants to fight the Boreal Dancer, so I'm luck fuck it YOLO. Kill the old lady and summon the dancer with only 3 estus. It got pretty hairy a couple of times, but we both knew how to fight her. I completely downed my estus, and she almost killed me with that damn super combo, but we took her down and now I have early access to Lothric Castle.

God DAMN I love this game. If only invasions weren't prioritized on guys with summoned phantoms in NG.

praetor

Arcane
Just a thought - would you buy Dark Souls 1 Ultimate Edition? Jam packed with all the changes the community always wanted, from using consumables in bulk, bonfire ascetics, respeccing, no instant backstabs, no "Resistance" stat, dual wielding, reworked net code, maybe even a brand new UI? Plus some new content like armors, weapons, maybe even new enemies or areas? Or at least much improved existing areas that were always a subpar standout like the Demon Ruins or Izalith?

Personally I'd shove my money down Miyazaki's throat as deep as I could reach.

take DaS1, put it in DaS3 engine, use DaS2 mechanics, update graphics to DaS3 level, finish the unfinished levels and you'll have all my money

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
1 Insight gained.
QGSo0bU.jpg

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
From what I've seen of Bloodborne I didn't like much tbh. No shields, no armor/poise, instaheals and hit trading with mobs to regain health - all changes for the worse IMO. Personally I didn't like the vibe either, too much victorian and not enough Lovecraft. For some reason I can't stand anything that smacks of "victorian" aesthetics which this game has in spades (can't stand steampunk for this reason either).

Level design was good but worse than DS1. I remember the interconnectedness of the world wasn't amazing either, might be wrong. I did love the bosses and monsters tho. Definitely the best of From ever. Unlike DS2 and DS3 where half of the bosses are knights spamming their sword in your face.

take DaS1, put it in DaS3 engine, use DaS2 mechanics, update graphics to DaS3 level, finish the unfinished levels and you'll have all my money

I wouldn't even require new graphics or engine, the slower pace of the original is fine. The graphics IS a bit muddy but what the hell.

I really do think the changes I've suggested wouldn't need that much work and Bamco would be able to sell the same game for the third time, so it's a win from the jewgold standpoint too.

Last edited:

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
I hope they make something new, I'm really tired of retreads after DS3. Haven't played Bloodborne, but from what I've read about the mechanics, they at least seem to be consistent in promoting aggression and mobility. Don't necessarily think the Souls combat system is a good base for that kind of experimentation, but it sounds better than DS3's disjointed and unfocused mess. I'm honestly not sure if I'd trust Miyazaki himself with a DS1 remaster given his most recent games.

Bradylama

Arcane
It's amazing how many chumps get all the way to SL 120 without putting any points in Vigor. I must've seen phantoms get 1-shotted by bosses 3 times just today.

Echo Mirage

Arcane
Either I have over leveled. Gotten good. Or these bosses aren't worth a damn. Deacons went down in the first attempt. Abyss watchers was the one boss I thought would be hard to kill. So I even brought the summon along. Who proceeded to curb stomped the boss into ash. Wolnir killed me one thanks to his magic bullshit. But when down without issue the second time. And those catacombs can kiss my arse.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Um Deacons are a joke gimmick fight, Wolnir ditto and kudos to you for beating a boss with a summon.

My guess is you don't have to worry about being too good at this game yet.

Mystary!

Arcane
You shouldn't have summoned on your first try. The AI cant really handle mulitple targets which lets you attack and heal at your leisure, without a summon you'll be attacked non-stop.

Echo Mirage

Arcane
Abyss watchers was the one boss I thought would be hard to kill. So I even brought the summon along. Who proceeded to curb stomped the boss into ash.
So you want something difficult, but at the first sign of difficulty you summon help without even trying?
:hmmm:

No. I had absolutely no confidence in my ability to kill the Abyss watchers at all. I thought that even if I had leveled as much as I did. And even with the black hand summon outside the door. I wouldn't be able to kill him. Instead the boss got distracted killing one of the ads and got backed into the corner by the door. I was able to just beat him into the dirt after dodging most of his attacks. And once he escaped the corner he was taking massive amount of damage per hit. He still almost got me before he died. But I was surprised just how easily he when down. If I even play a fresh game I will avoid the summon. Since I could have beaten him solo with ease. But I also suspect Black hand Gotthard can in fact solo the boss.

But anyway. I'm finding the random mobs much harder to deal with then the bosses. The outrider knight was far harder for me than almost all the bosses so far.

Last edited:

Bradylama

Arcane
You really have to work on your dodge roll to take on the outrider knights. Really the biggest problem is having enough endurance to attack and stay on your toes at the same time.

Perkel

Arcane
Sooooo ... remember that guy who was with that dude who doesn't talk (he gives you blue sentinel) ?
Well in my game He is SHE now. Instead of male voice like previously now he is she and she has famele voice.

Either i am crazy or something is going on...

I mean i swear in my last 3 chars it was HE not SHE.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Confirmed, no more Dark Souls and no Demon's Souls remaster either.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-04-27-dark-souls-dev-begins-work-on-new-ip-report

From president and Dark Souls director Hidetaka Miyazaki said of the series' future "rather than make another sequel, I think it's time we take a step to a new direction. Development of a new IP has already begun."

"There's absolutely no plan right now for any sequels, spin-offs or tie-ins. But I can't say for certain the possibility is zero per cent," he explained. "For example, if a From Software developer come to me five years from now and beg 'please let me make another Dark Souls' then I will not rule out the possibility to let my subordinates start a new project."

When asked about a potential Demon's Souls remaster Miyazaki said, "We want to try making new things."

Echo Mirage

Arcane
Sooooo ... remember that guy who was with that dude who doesn't talk (he gives you blue sentinel) ?
Well in my game He is SHE now. Instead of male voice like previously now he is she and she has famele voice.

Either i am crazy or something is going on...

I mean i swear in my last 3 chars it was HE not SHE.

You mean Anri of Astora?

They will always mirror your characters gender. So if you are male Anri will be female. And if female, Anri will be male.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

Perkel

Arcane
I will be very interested to see what he has to offer in his following efforts he is a very talented guy and honest for the industry's standards.
Space Souls

The guys who did Lords of the Fallen are already working on exactly what you described :)

Is LotF marginally playable? As an emergency scratch for that DS future itch?

It isn't as good as DS but it isn't that bad. I have like 5 hours in that and those 5h weren't so bad. Got sidetracked by other game though.IT has nice weapon feel when you hit something.

And it is pretty too.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Lords of the Fallen is okay, but it's very limited. You'll find very few weapons, spells (there are literally 9 spells, and they overlap), areas or enemies, and it's like the anti-Bloodborne - you're encouraged to play as Havel the Rock. (oh, and it's way easier than Dark Souls 3 - there are no summons, yet I killed everything in 2-3 attempts)

It has some cool ideas, like gem you can add to weapons, challenge rooms, how timing your attacks right cost less stamina, and how the more you kill without rest, the more souls you get... but also has some dumb shit. On, and the endgame is very shitty:

The game's entire plot & story progression is idiotic - you begin fighting HUGE armored demons to save the humans, but then turns out the humans are bad! Are the weak soldiers you saved are the end-game enemies, and can kill you in 2-hits.

But yeah, if you're starved for more Souls-like gameplay, it's definitely worth a purchase on sale. But DON'T BUY THE DLC - it's pure trash, a 50-minute maze with recolored enemies, a lame boss and OP gear.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
As the others said it is ok. Lacks the atmosphere of the souls games and is a bit more streamlined. Bosses felt nice, comnat feels more 'weighty' than DS3. Only the camera is a bit of a pain due to mouse acceleration.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom