Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Dark Souls 3

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Well, it was too good to last. I think DaS3 goes directly from good to bad starting with Boreal Valley.

Basically the entire combat devolves in: whoever hit first wins. Honestly I'm sick of slash-slash-slash-slash (basically R1 spamming) and the problem is nothing else works!!

In the first chapters of the game you can fuck it up: messed up stats, non-optimal weapon, get hit or roll in the wrong direction. It's ok. It's not the end of the world. It's fun.

However this is no longer possible starting with the Boreal Valley knights: if you get hit first then you are fucked. I tried different armors, different weapons, different strategies - nothing works reliably except hit them first. They even have 5 spins combos. It's retarded.

And that Pontiff boss fight is garbage: even when I did good I lost because the camera went berserk. Also my Vitality/Defense build became instantly shit cause his damage was taking like 75% of my health. I guess because of elemental damage but not really fair.

The funny thing is that I can still fight properly in PvP. So, I don't know. I cannot believe it but I kind of miss DaS2.

Rolk's Drifter

Scholar
Basically the entire combat devolves in: whoever hit first wins. Honestly I'm sick of slash-slash-slash-slash (basically R1 spamming) and the problem is nothing else works!!
And that Pontiff boss fight is garbage: even when I did good I lost because the camera went berserk. Also my Vitality/Defense build became instantly shit cause his damage was taking like 75% of my health.

It can be spammy but backstabs, parrys and guard breaks work pretty well there. Running and charged attacks too. But I dunno... even with all that, combat does tend to feel quite samey. Like the weapons don't really matter that much. I'm missing shit like twinblades/Santiers etc. Big axes are good though... they were shite in DS2.

I'm finding obfuscation to be an annoying problem. Seems like quite a few enemies have moves that deliberately fuck with the camera. Flashyness, big puffs of smoke don't help either. It's some pretty cheap shit and I don't like it.

Murk

Arcane
If every boss was a big arena, it'd get old very quickly..

And if every one of them consisted of two phases, the first of which being easy to the point of being boring, and only becoming fun and challenging in the second phase. Sounds like a rather dull and formulaic way of designing bosses for a game, doesn't it?

I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic or not, but the 5 hours I'm into DS 3 (I stopped playing due to shit performance) I was noticing that pattern and yeah, it would (and I'm guessing _did_) become annoying when what should be a rare and special occasion is turned into the mundane and expected. Like how special effects seem to matter less and less in movies.

Dreaad

Arcane
Deep in your subconscious mind spreading lies.
However this is no longer possible starting with the Boreal Valley knights: if you get hit first then you are fucked. I tried different armors, different weapons, different strategies - nothing works reliably except hit them first. They even have 5 spins combos. It's retarded.
It's a bit dramatic to say stuff like that. Some areas are just harder than others, sometimes because of sub par design, sometimes because you (not you specifically) personally suck at some certain things. Sometimes you just can't figure an enemy out, some people just hate fighting on narrow ledges etc.

There was plenty of similar areas in DS1 and 2, where the difficulty, or pure bs annoyance factor would suddenly spike through the roof and then settle back down. For example I fucking loathed sens fortress and stupid gimmick traps that reset the dungeon over and over again, trying to dodge those swinging axes with 20fps while lightning is being blasted at you..... also hated the crappy high dmg, long reach enemy design in narrow hallways etc. Died so many fucking times in that shit hole.

Grimlorn

Arcane
Are there any fun versatile weapons or combinations of weapons in this game? I'm up to Irithyll Valley and I'm so bored with the long sword. I'm looking at the weapons and I just don't see anything worth using that's fun to play with. I think I'm just bored with the R1 spam or the rolling and melee spam.

Perkel

Arcane
Are there any fun versatile weapons or combinations of weapons in this game? I'm up to Irithyll Valley and I'm so bored with the long sword. I'm looking at the weapons and I just don't see anything worth using that's fun to play with. I think I'm just bored with the R1 spam or the rolling and melee spam.

If you never played spear go for shield spear combo. Don't know how it works in DS3 but it was really fun in both DS1 and DS2. They do less damage but range is insane. Especially since you can get partizan as early as undead settlement.

Grimlorn

Arcane

If you never played spear go for shield spear combo. Don't know how it works in DS3 but it was really fun in both DS1 and DS2. They do less damage but range is insane. Especially since you can get partizan as early as undead settlement.
I did spear and shield way back in Demon's Souls. It's easy mode because you can block and attack at the same time.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
It's a bit dramatic to say stuff like that. Some areas are just harder than others, sometimes because of sub par design, sometimes because you (not you specifically) personally suck at some certain things. Sometimes you just can't figure an enemy out, some people just hate fighting on narrow ledges etc.

Basically I was in control until I reached this point in the game and suddenly my build became shit in PvE while I'm fine in PvP. The thing is: I need to spice up my build and I have no idea how to do it.

I can wear medium armor with equip load <30% however I don't find anything better than the Fallen Knight armor. And this one doesn't help either.

My weapon is Raw infused and therefore without scaling. I still do good damage but not enough - for example in first play-through with katana I could beat those horse knights with 2 hits. Now I need 5 or 6 hits. Basically the game is forcing me to upgrade the weapon or switch to one with scaling. I have no idea where Titanite Chunk is at.

Yeah, I'm probably too dramatic but I did not expect this bump so soon.

It's one of the best weapons in the game. I'm also stuck with an Astora straight sword.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

I did spear and shield way back in Demon's Souls. It's easy mode because you can block and attack at the same time.

Is this viable in DaS 3?

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
I'm not sure if it works the same in DaS3, but in DaS1 blocking and stabbing with the spear simultaneously chowed insane amounts of stamina. I often got into bad situations where I'd run out of stamina and leave myself open to attack. I might go spear + shield on my next run through DaS3.

I finished DaS3 a while back (sword + dragoncrest shield) and some of the bosses were cool, others not so much. Overall I found the entire journey a little meh and uninspired compared to the first game. It did feel a bit closer to the first game than the second game did, though. My order of preference is DaS1> DaS3> DaS2.

Is this viable in DaS 3?
seriously?
was there a game where dragonslayer spear was not viable? :lol: also halberds especially red hilt/gundyrs/black glave/ nameless king`s are god tier pvp/pve

Villagkouras

Arcane
We who love the Souls series are always critical to them. I don't know how many times I saw something and called it shit. But then I look at the other games and forgive From for everything. For instance, take Lords of the Fallen. Now that's what I call shit.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

Is this viable in DaS 3?
seriously?
was there a game where dragonslayer spear was not viable? :lol: also halberds especially red hilt/gundyrs/black glave/ nameless king`s are god tier pvp/pve

Stupid question. I admit.

I fought one halberd guy and he was untouchable. He was poking two times and then rolling. Could not get close to him.

Beggar

Cipher
Where will the series go from here? It's selling like hot cakes, every causual gamer blabbers about praising the sun. Dark Souls 4? Bloodborne 2? New series? A Telltale SunBro story episode 1?

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Well, with a little bit of patience I solo-ed Aldrich and the Dancer. And I have to say that both fights were good.

Pontiff remains the only bullshit boss until now.

Perkel

Arcane
Pontiff remains the only bullshit boss until now.

heh can't wait for your impression on dancer.

2E5.gif

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Pontiff seems like bullshit but he becomes very easy once you learn and internalize his moveset. Oneshot him on my replay with little difficulty, no parries or blocking necessary. Had the most trouble with Dancer and (strangely) Dragonslayer Armor.

Murk

Arcane
Ok so I've noticed this with someone else... are you guys saying "oneshot" to mean killing them in one try/fight and not killing them in one hit?

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
I'll probably only have enough Twinkling Titanite and Titanite Scales to upgrade one weapon of each before the very late game. Which ones should I consider? I haven't invested heavily into Strength or Dexterity yet, so I could go either way, but I'm not expecting to use spells or invest in related stats.

Echo Mirage

Arcane
That is a very good question. For me so far. Astora straight sword. Irithyll straight sword. Dancers swords. Onikiri and Ubadachi. And Darkdrift.

Irithyll straight sword and Dancers have been my go so swords when Darkdrift and all else fails during new game+

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom