Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Dark Souls 3

praetor

Arcane
killed Pontiff on my first try with the spiked mace (no shield, no parrying... plenty of healing :)). it was close, but still... that weapon is brutal. but not brutal enough for the crocowolves motherfuckers (they're almost as bad as DaS2 salamanders... almost)

Urbanolo

Augur
killed Pontiff on my first try with the spiked mace (no shield, no parrying... plenty of healing :)). it was close, but still... that weapon is brutal. but not brutal enough for the crocowolves motherfuckers (they're almost as bad as DaS2 salamanders... almost)

Crocowolves aren't really that bad, just hit their head, then critical and it's over. It works better with a faster weapon though.

Perkel

Arcane
wait how did he managed to parry it with strike ?
Then there is this weird sound ("thump!") i am hearing from time to time.

praetor

Arcane

Crocowolves aren't really that bad, just hit their head, then critical and it's over. It works better with a faster weapon though.

on my first playthrough i bled them to death without taking damage with a carthus sword (no rouge) and didn't understand what were people complaining about... now i do :P

Villagkouras

Arcane
Then there is this weird sound ("thump!") i am hearing from time to time.[/MEDIA]

He didn't parry, he hit his head repeatedly and this lead to a critical. When you land the critical you hear this sound, it's straight from Bloodborne.

Perkel

Arcane
Then there is this weird sound ("thump!") i am hearing from time to time.[/MEDIA]

He didn't parry, he hit his head repeatedly and this lead to a critical. When you land the critical you hear this sound, it's straight from Bloodborne.

Oh i get it now. Now when i think about it, often i hear it when i do overhead attacks to head.

sullynathan

Arcane
latest

Even for asian stsndards this guy looks like a hen shit all over his cuck face. I wouldnt even trust this guy taking care of my lawnmower. DS3 is ok but my god could the game habe been better if they would simply add more dev time to DS2 instead of being incompetent. The bosses all LOOK really cool in DS3 but are boring. In DS2 it was the oppposite.
The bosses in DS2 looked boring but were cool? Like who?

Last edited:

Rolk's Drifter

Scholar
How does DS3 two-handing work mechanically? As in, how does it change the wield requirements, scaling, etc.

I ask here because if you search for a mechanical question about DS you will get three Google pages of retards telling OPs their useless guesses.

AFAIK it's the same as DS2.

Two handing ripostes/backstabs do the same damage as 1 handed. Which probably means no scaling bonus from two handing at all. But I haven't checked/confirmed it. If there is a bonus then it's pretty insignificant.

Not related to strength but an interesting mechanic is that the spear which regains HP doesn't have to kill an enemy to work. So if you two-hand a weapon and put the spear on your back, you still regain HP. Even if a mook just falls off a cliff and dies. I imagine that works for the Executioner's Sword FP as well. It's nothing major but quite nice if you didn't know. Stacks with ring of evil eye too.

The bosses in DS2 looked boring but were cool? Like who?

People complained that too many were humanoid. Not enough monsters etc.

Last edited:

sullynathan

Arcane
ok but which bosses in the base DS2 were cool? I can only think of very few. Even without playing DS3, some of these bosses in the game already seem like they're cooler than anything in the base game of DS2.

How does this work? I'm reading that poise is turned off in game but if you go in game files and turn it back on, you get banned. Why?

Last edited:

Murk

Arcane
Vanilla DS2? Vesltud, early-Sinner before nerf (or ng+ sinner), Dark Lurker, and Executioner's Chariot come to mind easily. I liked the puzzle aspect of ancient dragon pre-nerf, I enjoyed that it required you to use armor/buffs/items for elemental resistance and that it was entirely an optional fight. It's not a GOOD fight, but that aspect was entertaining in its own way. With DLC 1 finall boss, this aspect is easily overtaken and far more enjoyable with Sinh.

Shit's obviously subjective, but eh. DLC bosses were the best of course.

sullynathan

Arcane
Vanilla DS2? Vesltud, early-Sinner before nerf (or ng+ sinner), Dark Lurker, and Executioner's Chariot come to mind easily. I liked the puzzle aspect of ancient dragon pre-nerf, I enjoyed that it required you to use armor/buffs/items for elemental resistance and that it was entirely an optional fight. It's not a GOOD fight, but that aspect was entertaining in its own way. With DLC 1 finall boss, this aspect is easily overtaken and far more enjoyable with Sinh.

Dislike Velstat, I'm not sure why FROM would put the player in a small room to fight him but eh. Didn't like the lost sinner either. Dark Lurker was a pretty cool, and the executioners chariot was ok too. I'm not seeing any puzzle aspect to the ancient dragon though. Ancient dragon had the exact same moveset as the guardian dragon but with 10 times the health and did almost 10 times the damage, It was a lazy boss that is overrated by the DS2 fanbase as being hard.

Murk

Arcane
The puzzle to me was in stacking defense instead of offense. Typical souls strategy is get high damage and kill the boss before it kills you -- with ancient dragon that was entirely reversed. The physical meleeing portion is dull and repetitive (stand in toes, hack away.) It's not a puzzle in the Zelda sense, but as in "there is a right way to approach this."

Sinner was a good aggressive boss with the emphasis on WAS, she got nerfed and so lost that charm -- but in ng+ the pyros change the dynamic enough that you have to switch up how you play, at least initially until you kill them.

I don't get people's complaints about small areas with bosses (capra I can understand) -- you have more than enough to dodge and lead Velstadt, none of his attacks cover the whole area. But then, some encounters are meant to be closet trolls as that is the point of the arena -- to limit your movement and force you to come up with a new way to face off on the boss. If every boss was a big arena, it'd get old very quickly. Even the dull big knight bosses like dragon rider at least had some gimmick, with death drops or an archer platform or something. Regardless, as said, shit's subjective cuz it boils down to what you _enjoy_.

There's people who think wandering congregation in ds 2 was shit (it is shit) but think deacons of the deep in ds 3 is cool. I can't even bother to understand what drives their thinking

Clockwork Knight oh right, yes, looking glass was definitely a cool fight too -- especially after they lowered the volume on the thunderclap effect. It's a damn shame how quickly you can kill him in ng+ tho, they should have him summon squires at an earlier time.

edit: Rotten is a very easy fight to me, but I still enjoy it overall. There's different things going on, and his derpy appearance, weird music, and overall tragic state + makeup is good presentation. The fight itself isn't anything groundbreaking, but it is fun and if its one of your earlier experiences then the fire hazard can actually affect you.

Mozg

Arcane

Executioner's Chariot is a proper high effot Souls gimmick boss. Seems like the kind of thing they made before getting into real crunch. Mirror Knight is also a nice gimmick boss (he's kind of numerically underpowered for the point you run into him - he's a real experience in an SL1 game) in a good looking high effort arena.

Darklurker is the top example of "boring and cheap looking, in a terrible looking mono-textured arena, yet actually a really good fight" from vanilla.

Murk

Arcane
One of the biggest issues with DS 2 bossfights, IMO, is that you are commonly given overpowered tanks in high-hp NPC summons who seem to take less damage than you, have more HP than you, and can easily distract the boss for way longer than you would need to kill it. Benhart and Lucatiel are clear examples of this -- which is a damn shame because they are very common summon options.

I do, however, appreciate the retarded commitment to Luet being the uber-tank.

Perkel

Arcane
This was a cool mechanic

lWo5qQS.jpg

Never seen it personally. Loved this type of stuff back in DeS but in DS2 it rarely works.

edit: Hell my first online in DS games was that yellow garb summoning player. Didn't know that actually was player. I though it was just really well designed NPC that could fight.

Murk

Arcane
I've been summoned like 9 times by LGK and have had players summoned on me multiple times.

This was during the actual release time of both vanilla ds2 and scholar, so the current 2k population limits that, but eh.

It's a bit dull to stand around, but when I was getting blue invaded every 5 minutes I'd just stand in the hallway with my red sign down -- kill a blue, hope to get summoned, etc.

Not a bad way, and was nice getting PVP outside bridge/heide.

Silva

Arcane
Hey bros, help me out with some questions.

1) I reached the "Dancer" right now and I've found the journey so far pretty uninspiring overall. UnInspiring covenants, uninspiring bosses, uninspiring ideas. Will it get really awesome from now on ? Should I get ready to cum all over myself in aheer excitement ?

2) What da hell is hapenning in this Lothric place anyway ? Is this just a geographical hub or a multidimensional one ? Why item descriptions reference Drangleic in the far past while referencing DS1 elements like they exist right now ? Is this an error ?

3) I heard some cute chick would appear after that old pilgrim (Yolo ?) dies but it never happened. How do I make the chick appear now ?

Echo Mirage

Arcane
As for 3)

Yuria of Londor will only appear if you draw out true strength from Yoel at least 5 times. If you enter the crypts after the abyss watchers fight, and before taking his 5 free levels, he will die and Yuria won't show up. The extra levels from him can be spammed. Just draw out strength then suicide until he gives you more.

Leechmonger

Arbiter
1) I reached the "Dancer" right now and I've found the journey so far pretty uninspiring overall. UnInspiring covenants, uninspiring bosses, uninspiring ideas. Will it get really awesome from now on ?

No.

3) I heard some cute chick would appear after that old pilgrim (Yolo ?) dies but it never happened. How do I make the chick appear now ?

You were supposed to get five free soul levels through him before he died ("extract true power" or something like that). I don't think you can get her to show up now. It's not a big loss.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
If every boss was a big arena, it'd get old very quickly..

And if every one of them consisted of two phases, the first of which being easy to the point of being boring, and only becoming fun and challenging in the second phase. Sounds like a rather dull and formulaic way of designing bosses for a game, doesn't it?

It was cooler the first time they did it: in Demon's Souls. Where it actually worked. I have never been summoned by the Looking Glass Knight nor fought a player through him.

Yeah, it was truly excellent to be summoned, twiddle your thumbs for a minute, and then get sent back because the host died to the black phantom mindflayer on the stairs. Miyazaki's genius triumphs yet again.

Rolk's Drifter

Scholar
1) I reached the "Dancer" right now and I've found the journey so far pretty uninspiring overall. UnInspiring covenants, uninspiring bosses, uninspiring ideas. Will it get really awesome from now on ? Should I get ready to cum all over myself in aheer excitement ?

No. Although there is one secrety Dragon place you might like. For what it's worth I'm enjoying it a bit more second time around.

Quick tangent: NG+ is retardedly easy. I swear there is no difference except for a shit ton more souls.

You only miss out on the best ending.

Tis pretty cool but this one's not bad either:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom