Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Dark Souls 3

Zlaja

Arcane
A review for the game, about half of it consists of my thoughts on it: http://thegameslashers.blogspot.co.uk/2016/05/dark-souls-iii-review.html

Ok, lets see:

I still remember starting up the first game back when it came out on PC, only to give up one hour later due to mounting frustration. One year later, I returned to it

Starts promising.

there is a lot of Dark Souls fan service, from the obvious similarities in theme and plot and the returning/similar NPCs to revisiting already familiar zones such as Firelink Shrine and others. This is not necessarily a bad thing, as most of these are bound to take you on a nostalgia trip if you've enjoyed the first game

I enjoyed the first game and cringed hard EVERY fucking time this pathetic shit reered its ugly face.

The damage scaling for Intelligence/Faith starts making a difference only upon heavy investment in those stats –at that point, it becomes very powerful-, which is a way of avoiding the Havel mages from Dark Souls II

Let's pretend this wasn't an issue in DaS1. Also the best way to avoid magic being easy mode is to make it worthless until late game. Praise Miyazaki the genius.

I felt as if the increased speed of combat encouraged a playstyle focused on dodging, which is way more stamina efficient than blocking, at least until you come across shields with greater stability. This was a gladly welcomed change for me, as the snail’s pace from the previous game almost drove me mad.

So that was one of the big problem with DaS2 according to you? The game was played at "snails pace". And the best way to fix it was to "encourage" you to dodge around more. Also you totally couldn't play Das2 without a shield and dodge around to your heart's content.

I’m happy to see the change of focus from the slow paced combat of Dark Souls II that almost forced shields onto the players, to a faster and more skill based combat system

DaS2 was not skill based. It was all stats and you were ALMOST FORCED to use a shield. The horror!

Seeing these problems haven’t been fixed, having the liberty of canceling animations or dodging straight from running seem like a farfetched dream.

Farfetched indeed.

The removal of armour upgrading was also a good idea in my book, since it always felt like a chore in terms of souls/material investment

Oh, the chore of having options and stuff.

There are plenty of options to choose from in terms of playstyle

Nuking sorcery, poise and ability to uppgrade armor truly adds to these "options".

+ Refined combat system

- Weapons balance issues due to Poise stat having no effect

:M

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
The sorcery doesn't really become "very powerful" late game. It's not exactly weak either but the main problem is - you'll probably never use anything but Great Heavy Soul Arrow, FROM START TO FINISH.

Soul Spear is in the game but it does only 10% more damage and has only slightly faster casting spead than GHSA but costs thrice as much. Plus you get it quite late in the game (deep into the Profaned Capital). You'll get crystal sorceries at the very end and they're all similarly underwhelming for their cost.

Plus if you want to make magic viable you HAVE to equip FOUR items - three rings and the Crown of Dusk. Imagine someone said "You can play STR build in this game but you have to sacrifice three rings slots AND wear a cursed helmet that can get you one-shotted". How retarded would that be.

And afaik miracles stay complete trash even late game.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
The sorcery doesn't really become "very powerful" late game. It's not exactly weak either but the main problem is - you'll probably never use anything but Great Heavy Soul Arrow, FROM START TO FINISH.

Soul Spear is in the game but it does only 10% more damage and has only slightly faster casting spead than GHSA but costs thrice as much. Plus you get it quite late in the game (deep into the Profaned Capital). You'll get crystal sorceries at the very end and they're all similarly underwhelming for their cost.

Plus if you want to make magic viable you HAVE to equip FOUR items - three rings and the Crown of Dusk. Imagine someone said "You can play STR build in this game but you have to sacrifice three rings slots AND wear a cursed helmet that can get you one-shotted". How retarded would that be.

And afaik miracles stay complete trash even late game.
4 rings actually. Lloyd's sword ring boosts the damage as well. Between all the enhancers, flash sword is effectively a pure magic damage straight sword with WAY more attack power than it ought to have. Oh, and it hits through walls, has stupidly long range, and never recoils from terrain. And crystal soul spears will hit for upwards of 1k easily.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I've never really tried Flashsword, seemed underwhelming, but ok.

As for Crystal Spear, those 1k hits don't apply to bosses and big creatures since those have high magic resist. I think the most I saw was around 700.

And even if Crystal Spear hit for 1k with 55 FP, the GHSA hits for 500 with 14 FP. The balance is absurd.

Damned Registrations

So, I was wrong about sorcery, it really is balls for most of the game. It does start to become awesome once you have all the enhancers, but until then you're pretty fucked. It's mostly because of the way the spell formulas work along with defense in this game. Flash sword, for example, deals (Spellbuff x 1.15) -76 damage. Now, this is pretty garbage when you first get it and your spellbuff is like, 115. You're dealing shit damage, even after the young dragon ring, especially against enemies that resist magic. But later on, it becomes very strong, because you have a spellbuff of 210, and between all the rings and such, it ends up being (210x1.2x1.15.x1.15x1.1x1.1x1.15)-76 = 387. Which is pretty fucking solid for a longsword with the range of an UGS.

And Crystal spear's FP cost doesn't really matter, because at that point you're killing things in a handful of shots anyways (or just one), and your estus recovers like 200 fp a chug. 1k was conservative, I was actually hitting 1.4k in the endgame (And yeah, GHSA hits for like 700 at that point) Also, it pierces enemies, which is obviously useful in PvE, making it more efficient than GHSA anyways.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
And Crystal spear's FP cost doesn't really matter, because at that point you're killing things in a handful of shots anyways (or just one), and your estus recovers like 200 fp a chug. 1k was conservative, I was actually hitting 1.4k in the endgame (And yeah, GHSA hits for like 700 at that point) Also, it pierces enemies, which is obviously useful in PvE, making it more efficient than GHSA anyways.

I just don't see how such a spell is useful in "real" life. If you stay on SL120 you'd realistically have maybe 200 FP, meaning you can cast 3 CSS with one mana bar. And since you can only start using it in the last 1% of NG and on NG+ where mobs have much higher HP you'll kill stuff worth killing with magic in two, three hits. Meaning you'll need one blue flask for every enemy. Inefficient? I'd say so.

And as for bosses, most of them are so agile and the tracking of the projectile is so bad you'll miss half of the shots, guaranteed. Meaning you'd need to allot like half of your flasks to mana or you'll run out in the middle of the fight.

I'm not saying magic is non-viable or weak, it's just terribly inefficient compared to melee builds. For melee you don't need any rings or equipment to deal viable damage, you don't need to constantly chug, you don't need to spend 60 frigging points on any single stat and you don't need to develop four of them to 30 minimum. Killing shit with magic is like killing a mosquito by carefully catching it and tearing off its head.

I'm no designer and I agree magic in DS1 was overpowered as fuck but was making it mostly non-viable in NG really the only way to nerf it? Especially when most people won't even bother with "plus" playthroughs since there's nothing new or different about them this time around?

Sad.

Damned Registrations

How many enemies are you really going to need a spear for anyways though? By that point you have several estus to spare for FP easily, it's no big deal to kill the half-dozen enemies worth using it on between bonfires with a spear or two each. The only non boss I ever needed 3 spears for were the angel knights at the end of the game, and those fuckers are /not/ easy to deal with in melee. Meanwhile you lightsaber everything else into oblivion. Or hell, just use the laser cannon, since you're getting the drop on them anyways from a mile away. That thing is pretty much a free kill whenever it lands.

You want to talk about efficiency? I can drop 4k damage with ~100 stamina. Try doing that in melee.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
For all those who say Darkmoon covenant doesn't work. A full 1 hour video of Darkmoon invasions.

Wonder what that dude does that I do not. I have a good and stable inet connection, nat is open, all ports open and in 10h+ wearing the badge I got summonend ONCE. :roll:

Echo Mirage

Arcane
What are the opinions on the Darkdrift? I never was one for the glorious Nippon steel folded 10 million times in the souls games. But I don't see a lot of people talking about this weapon it at all. Instead everyone is focused on Estoc bestoc and everything under earths sun being cancer all of a sudden.

Damned Registrations

Is that the transparent katana? It's the same moveset as the Uchi. Chaos Blade has the best scaling
I thought it had a shield piercing special move? Lots of katanas in this one it seems. Though Washing Pole is still the best by a mile, as usual.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
You want to talk about efficiency? I can drop 4k damage with ~100 stamina.

Are you talking about the Flashsword? Again, I take your word for it, never tried it.

Remember tho many high level enemies are more resistant to magic than to physical, especially thrust. That's why bestoc is such a cancer in quick runs and challenges, it's just by far the most effective weapon evah, especially resined.

praetor

Arcane
i love how colossal of a retard Wolfe is in that "review"... "blatant, cheap, 0-effort fanservice is good nostalgia if Miyazaki does it", "Havel mages were totally a problem that was in no way related to Soul Memory because it was totally possible to have an effective havelmage build at SL150-200, so it's a good thing they nerfed magic to the point of uselessness until the final 5% of the game", "DaS2 healing was bad because i say so. also the combat pace was slower so you had more options but i like the mindless roll spamming so DaS3 is naturally superior"

i wonder if he "outsourced" his review on reddit or something. it's like a compilation of the most popular opinions on r/darksouls3. i haven't seen a load of horseshit like that in a looong ass time.

anyway, i my Str playthrough with a spiked mace is going pretty easily. off the top of my head, i don't remember the early game with the katana being quite so easy. i mean, that thing with a heavy infusion +3 at 32Str had almost as much of an AR as my sharp carthus sword +10 at 40dex, i wonder how it fill fare now that i'm at Smouldering nostalgia lake and i'll have enough for +6. Pontiff should be interesting, at least

Mystary!

Arcane
KayPlays Dark Souls 3!

Never really saw the point of watching other people play games before - atleast not single player games - but I enjoyed her Dark Souls 1 play through enough so I'll give this a go too.
EDIT: Also I'm still convinced that it is in fact a tranny...

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
4 weeks since release, summon sign for NG Nameless King still pops within 5 seconds of being placed. :lol:

Also reinstalled DS2 with the intent of finally playing through on Scholar, and it's really striking just how different the combat feels.

Perkel

Arcane
Instead everyone is focused on Estoc bestoc and everything under earths sun being cancer all of a sudden.

Everyone just follows what other people say regardless if they know how it works or not.
Reminds me of PoE lighting arrow skill back in beta. lololol get lighting arrow noob ! month later Krip i think created wander build and suddenly everyone copy and pasted his build and again lololol get wander nubz !

Echo Mirage

Arcane
Is that the transparent katana? It's the same moveset as the Uchi. Chaos Blade has the best scaling

That's the one. It looked a little more interesting than the Uchi. But right now on NG+ its starting to feel a little weak at +4 reinforcement. And I'm a while out from a slab. So I have yet to see it maxed out and buffed.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore :)

Short story: I created the most retarded build - only Vitality. The idea was to get a build with had the best physical defense as possible.

Mostly because my first katana playthrough was a nightmare and I was raped by almost everything (including rats). Also there was an entire discussion here (but mostly on reddit) about defense being useless. I wanted to check out the rumors.

26531281140_a3fa423772_o.jpg

So, I'm using a Raw infused Astora sword + Flynn's Ring (which is capped and doesn't stack with Havel ring). As you can see above my AR is so and so.

Well, I had my doubts that such a build could work and surprise I doesn't just work - it's really good. I could not believe it when I solo-ed the Abyss Watchers on first try. No pattern learning, no preparation, just hitting the boss without the risk of getting stunlocked. Easy mode.

Also I can trade hits with a Darkwraith and not getting stunlock by Dark Knights. Which is incredible (based on my previous experience). My only concern is that my damage will probably not be enough for the end game but I will search for a solution then.

The funny thing is: I don't know why it works :) It is because my equip load is <30% or because my physical defense is good. No idea. I'm feeling comfortable with the combat which is the complete opposite of the 1st play-through.

All I can say that the previous Katana/Dex build is utter shit compared to this one. And that build worked quite alright in both DaS1 and Das2. No comment.

Edit: I'm retarded. It's obvious that the combat experience is different thanks to the Defense/Absorption stats. It's almost like Poise works except that Defense/Absorption is used instead of the actual Poise.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom