Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Dark Souls 3

Silva

Arcane
Do you also feel like PvP in this game lack a certain... purpose or somethin ? I mean, DS 1 covenants speak really well to the setting/lore and gave players a good sense of purpose. I remember being ganged by those Forest guardian dudes and hating them and that damn forest because of it. Later I joined the quelaag because I've felt touched by the girls condition, and by late game I've found the ancient dragon covenant and I felt oh man this is the real shit, because true dragons are supposed to be those badass primordial beings you know.

On the other hand DS 3 covenants feel like gamey excuses for there being covenants in the first place, kind of aborted from the setting proper, uninspiring, lacking purpose. Someone else felt like this ?

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Is the single player good? I liked the pvp in DS1 but i only played it casually. I enjoyed the game mostly for the single player experience.

Self-Ejected

AngryEddy

Self-Ejected

He even mentions artificial difficulty. What a loser.

Well... No poise and normal enemies with infinite stamina, bloodborne speed and doing more damage than the fucking Nameless King IS kind of artificial difficulty.

Artificial difficulty is still better than no difficulty.

No it's not cuck. If you can't balance your game, dont fuckin release it. LOL SPAM 1000 NIGGERS ON YOU HACK YOUR SAVE MAKE YOUR CHARACTER TRANS FAGGOT.

Silva

Arcane
Gameplay is good Lyric Suite, perhaps best in series. The problem is that everything else is pretty uninspiring: bosses, locations, lore, NPCs, etc. making the whole experience even more forgettable than vanilla DS 2.

vdweller

Arcane
Developer
How does a strength based shield guy beat the Dancer? Dumb luck? I can avoid the spin spin spin spin spin spin attack, but once she does the combo combo combo combo combo combo attack, I'm dead if I happen to be anywhere nearby. Shield completely useless for that.

Doesn't matter what build you are: just run around when she starts spinning.

You have to be an expert in Meatspin to prevail. I know I am.

Back to the studio Tom, we have a report on the Champion Gundyr boss.

I seriously considered uninstalling the game because of this fight.

It wasn't the most difficult fight in the game. Lost 5-6 times before winning. But phase 2 was just plain retarded. Insta-shoulder bashes, axe swings w/100% tracking and 0% reaction windows, just plain stupid. The only way to win (deprived in full Cathedral armor under 70% load and 2-handing Uchigatana) was rushing into the boss and spamming attack. So I guess this fight wasn't resolved by tactics or careful play, just comparing penises and attack strength with the boss. Alrightio. Uhhh...I guess mine was bigger?

On the other hand the dragonslayer armor (minus the phase 2 ranged bombardment - "It's so dense, every single frame has so many things going on") and the crippled twins were OK. Oceiros was pointless, easy as fuck, borderline furfag material, and wouldn't shut up. Generally many bosses can be downed by just rushing head on and attacking, believe it or not I killed the Dancer on my 1st attempt and lost to the Pontiff 1-2 times before his phase 2, then again got inside and won with no defeat. I didn't wait to see what the clone would do, I'd just run and attack. Strategy! Planning! Excitement!

I have to say that the "bosses always have 2 phases" is also annoying, it's like watching a Power Rangers episode where you KNOW that in the end they will form this gigantic robot no matter what. Maybe they should have left it only for the Lords of Cinder. The best way for expectations to be diminished is to always have them confirmed.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

Well... No poise and normal enemies with infinite stamina, bloodborne speed and doing more damage than the fucking Nameless King IS kind of artificial difficulty.

Shhh ... don't speak too loud. "They" might hear you.

We all know that people who complain about "artificial difficulty" are just scrubs who can't git gud.

Fuck. Now is too late.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

Artificial difficulty is still better than no difficulty.

Nice brain damage you have there.

Nobody has said that they prefer no difficulty. The point was that DaS3 went too far with the bullshit. So much that artificial stuff became an obstruction for enjoyment.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
How does a strength based shield guy beat the Dancer? Dumb luck? I can avoid the spin spin spin spin spin spin attack, but once she does the combo combo combo combo combo combo attack, I'm dead if I happen to be anywhere nearby. Shield completely useless for that.

You have to be an expert in Meatspin to prevail. I know I am.

Back to the studio Tom, we have a report on the Champion Gundyr boss.

I seriously considered uninstalling the game because of this fight.

It wasn't the most difficult fight in the game. Lost 5-6 times before winning. But phase 2 was just plain retarded. Insta-shoulder bashes, axe swings w/100% tracking and 0% reaction windows, just plain stupid. The only way to win (deprived in full Cathedral armor under 70% load and 2-handing Uchigatana) was rushing into the boss and spamming attack. So I guess this fight wasn't resolved by tactics or careful play, just comparing penises and attack strength with the boss. Alrightio. Uhhh...I guess mine was bigger?

On the other hand the dragonslayer armor (minus the phase 2 ranged bombardment - "It's so dense, every single frame has so many things going on") and the crippled twins were OK. Oceiros was pointless, easy as fuck, borderline furfag material, and wouldn't shut up. Generally many bosses can be downed by just rushing head on and attacking, believe it or not I killed the Dancer on my 1st attempt and lost to the Pontiff 1-2 times before his phase 2, then again got inside and won with no defeat. I didn't wait to see what the clone would do, I'd just run and attack. Strategy! Planning! Excitement!

I have to say that the "bosses always have 2 phases" is also annoying, it's like watching a Power Rangers episode where you KNOW that in the end they will form this gigantic robot no matter what. Maybe they should have left it only for the Lords of Cinder. The best way for expectations to be diminished is to always have them confirmed.

I agree. I made the same argument several pages ago ... but then I was flamed for being a scrub.

What can I say. It really is the worst Dark Souls game and the best Bloodborne-clone at the same time.

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
The problem is that everything else is pretty uninspiring: bosses, locations, lore, NPCs, etc. making the whole experience even more forgettable than vanilla DS 2.

For me it's only the lore uninspiring. By that I mean general lore. It's recycled DS1 and DS2. I like item and weapon descriptions. I wish they go crazy with DLC. Something we haven't seen before.

All I could think of when "demoing" DSIII was how much I wished I was playing DSI or II instead, which is exactly what I ended up doing. Gonna be a long while until I'll actually want to pay for this. Probably when all DLCs are out and it's at least 66% percent off on steam. Apart from the special weapon moves and return of DSI-like parrying gameplay seemed like a significant downgrade from II and now that I heard from almost everyone that online aspect is a major downgrade as well with a decreased variety in valid builds I just can't muster any real interest.

sullynathan

Arcane
Started trying parrying recently with my Dex character, it is effective. It does suck though when you parry someone and evade away because you think they'll attack you.

I also really dislike weapons that do three hits after parrying (like Katanas).

On another note, the dancer was nearly impossible to at a low level. Had to call for help. It really showed how bad the dancer is as a boss. That really long combo is annoying. The only worse enemy are the ones in Irythyll of the boreal valley.

All I could think of when "demoing" DSIII was how much I wished I was playing DSI or II instead, which is exactly what I ended up doing. Gonna be a long while until I'll actually want to pay for this. Probably when all DLCs are out and it's at least 66% percent off on steam. Apart from the special weapon moves and return of DSI-like parrying gameplay seemed like a significant downgrade from II and now that I heard from almost everyone that online aspect is a major downgrade as well with a decreased variety in valid builds I just can't muster any real interest.

You wish you want to play DS1 or DS2 again until you actually do and you find that their problems stick out like a sore thumb and you just end up sticking back with DS3.

Last edited:
You wish you want to play DS1 or DS2 again until you actually do and you find that their problems stick out like a sore thumb and you just end up sticking back with DS3.

Thanks for telling me, I must've been imagining that I didn't actually go back to DSIII. Fucking drugs, man.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Gameplay is good Lyric Suite, perhaps best in series. The problem is that everything else is pretty uninspiring: bosses, locations, lore, NPCs, etc. making the whole experience even more forgettable than vanilla DS 2.

I think it's more the reverse. Dark Souls 3 strong point are level design, bosses, enemies, art style and so on... But mechanically is at a Demon Souls level. Dark Souls 1 and 2 are better in that point. Hell, I don't care how much people cry that ' muh DS2 is bad, and Miyazaki sensei is the savior of Souls games ' but mechanically Dark Souls 2 is the best and most polished of the 4 games.

nomask7

Arcane

Yeah, like I said, I can avoid the spinning, especially since it basically never happens if you're close to the boss. BUT HOW ABOUT THE 5-6 STRIKE COMBO THAT SHE DOES WHEN YOU'RE CLOSE?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom