Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Dark Souls 3

vdweller

Arcane
Developer
BUT HOW ABOUT THE 5-6 STRIKE COMBO THAT SHE DOES WHEN YOU'RE CLOSE

There seems to be a blind spot somewhere near her, it happened to me the one time I fought her (and won) and no swipe of her hit me.

Then again my FPS were crawling in this boss fight...could this also affect collisions? Hmmm....

tl;dr : Reduce your game's FPS XD

nomask7

Arcane
Is the single player good? I liked the pvp in DS1 but i only played it casually. I enjoyed the game mostly for the single player experience.

IMO - and I only ever play single player:

Dark Souls 1 - best lore and in that sense the best world. (My progress was halted at Tomb of Giants, the level that's pitch black, but it's very late game so I feel like I can judge this game accurately.)

Dark Souls 2 original - the most freedom, often very nice level design (maybe even better than the other games but not coherent in terms of lore or total aesthetic effect). Improved combat for strength based characters - now you can actually wear heavy stuff and dodge by strafing.

Scholar of First Sin - I only recommend playing this if you don't want to play the original for some reason. Now I've only played this half-way through so far, but I don't like some of the changes they made in level design and I'd be surprised if they didn't spoil masterpieces like Shrine of Amara. I wouldn't say it's harder than the original either - I've been playing this on Company of Champions from the beginning without great trouble. In fact, some of the levels are distinctly easier than in the vanilla.

Dark Souls 3 - I've played through 80% of the mandatory levels. The levels are larger than in the other games and don't always have bosses. A progression chart is a must if you don't want to get a head-ache. The levels themselves are sometimes rather complex like Cathedral of the Deep. In fact, playing through that level without a guide or map might count as some sort of an achievement. Visually and in terms of monster design, this game reminds me of Bloodborne. If you can get over the feeling that this material was meant for Bloodborne or something, then it's probably the most pleasing Souls game visually. Late-game bosses can be maddening, and I say this having beaten Ornstein and Smough solo - without any summons - with a melee character with one try after I read some strategy for the fight. Early game feels notably harder than Dark Souls, but later there are some levels that you can basically just run through without even scouting properly. I still recommend scouting properly on your first play through of a level. Although the levels are larger and more open, you get to open short cuts and find new bonfires when you need to. Things can still get pretty intense at times, though not so much in boss fights because you'll always be able to run to the boss easily dodging the monsters. This different focus - more on the levels than on the bosses - is a change I was hoping for, and it's worked out rather well.

Bloodborne - rather like Dark Souls 3. As with Dark Souls, I've played pretty far but not completed the game, because one of the end-game levels is so brutal. Very nice game especially in the beginning if you are into Lovecraftian horror, but there's too little monster variety, which becomes apparent at some point, feels like much less monster variety than in the Souls games. The chalice dungeons are a great idea: they're optional dungeons with many levels and bosses you can play through to get gems that you can use to improve your weapons. It adds to the game a great deal without unbalancing it (you don't get many "souls" (blood echoes) there). Some brutal boss fights, the hardest of these for me is the second one - Father Gascoigne, just too fast and chaotic. I can attempt it dozens of times without learning a damn thing. Other than that boss fight, pretty good game.

I enjoy all these games, and they're all very good and should be played. My favorite, despite popular Codexian opinion, is the original Dark Souls 2, even with the messed up world coherence.

nomask7

Arcane
There seems to be a blind spot somewhere near her, it happened to me the one time I fought her (and won) and no swipe of her hit me.

I've tried this, but either it doesn't work or you have to be basically crawling in her feet for it to work. I guess I'll have to git good.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I see conflicting opinions here (gameplay is great, but everything else is shit. No, gameplay is shit, but everything else is great lel), but the gist i'm getting is that, faults or not, this is still a great Dark Soul game so go play it figgit. Will do.

praetor

Arcane
Is the single player good? I liked the pvp in DS1 but i only played it casually. I enjoyed the game mostly for the single player experience.

level design is okay (on average better than das2 vanilla, worse than das2 dlcs), some bosses are great (champion, namelss king... you know, the ones the scrubs are crying about), combat mechanics are the worst in the series. worth a playthrough, maaaaybe 2 if you're really really itching badly for some more Souls and already played all the others multiple times. get it on sale when all the DLCs are out in about a year or so

Silva

Arcane

Dark Souls 1 - best lore and in that sense the best world. (My progress was halted at Tomb of Giants, the level that's pitch black, but it's very late game so I feel like I can judge this game accurately.)

Dark Souls 2 original - the most freedom, often very nice level design (maybe even better than the other games but not coherent in terms of lore or total aesthetic effect). Improved combat for strength based characters - now you can actually wear heavy stuff and dodge by strafing.

Scholar of First Sin - I only recommend playing this if you don't want to play the original for some reason. Now I've only played this half-way through so far, but I don't like some of the changes they made in level design and I'd be surprised if they didn't spoil masterpieces like Shrine of Amara. I wouldn't say it's harder than the original either - I've been playing this on Company of Champions from the beginning without great trouble. In fact, some of the levels are distinctly easier than in the vanilla.

Dark Souls 3 - I've played through 80% of the mandatory levels. The levels are larger than in the other games and don't always have bosses. A progression chart is a must if you don't want to get a head-ache. The levels themselves are sometimes rather complex like Cathedral of the Deep. In fact, playing through that level without a guide or map might count as some sort of an achievement. Visually and in terms of monster design, this game reminds me of Bloodborne. If you can get over the feeling that this material was meant for Bloodborne or something, then it's probably the most pleasing Souls game visually. Late-game bosses can be maddening, and I say this having beaten Ornstein and Smough solo - without any summons - with a melee character with one try after I read some strategy for the fight. Early game feels notably harder than Dark Souls, but later there are some levels that you can basically just run through without even scouting properly. I still recommend scouting properly on your first play through of a level. Although the levels are larger and more open, you get to open short cuts and find new bonfires when you need to. Things can still get pretty intense at times, though not so much in boss fights because you'll always be able to run to the boss easily dodging the monsters. This different focus - more on the levels than on the bosses - is a change I was hoping for, and it's worked out rather well.

Bloodborne - rather like Dark Souls 3. As with Dark Souls, I've played pretty far but not completed the game, because one of the end-game levels is so brutal. Very nice game especially in the beginning if you are into Lovecraftian horror, but there's too little monster variety, which becomes apparent at some point, feels like much less monster variety than in the Souls games. The chalice dungeons are a great idea: they're optional dungeons with many levels and bosses you can play through to get gems that you can use to improve your weapons. It adds to the game a great deal without unbalancing it (you don't get many "souls" (blood echoes) there). Some brutal boss fights, the hardest of these for me is the second one - Father Gascoigne, just too fast and chaotic. I can attempt it dozens of times without learning a damn thing. Other than that boss fight, pretty good game.

I enjoy all these games, and they're all very good and should be played. My favorite, despite popular Codexian opinion, is the original Dark Souls 2, even with the messed up world coherence.
CASUL DETECTED

nomask7

Arcane
CASUL DETECTED

I make no secret of being casual. Then again, Lyric Suite doesn't strike me as a hardcore PvP gamer himself, so my advice is probably valid for him, at least much more so than that of the multiplayer fags and heavily biased folk who complain about who knows what in a game that's obviously first and foremost a single player game.

Really, if there's any serious flaw in these games, it's the lack of grinding restrictions of some sort. As it is, it's too fucking easy, not to mention silly in a gameplay kind of way to grind for souls or items or whatever you want by finding a happily positioned bonfire and slaughtering nearby monster(s) over and over again. I'd like to see something like monsters becoming shadows upon death who don't drop anything nor give you souls until you kill like 80% of the monsters in the level, at which point they are resurrected and give you loot and xp again. Shouldn't be hard to implement, and its lack is the only thing that kind of kills any deep involvement I might have with these games.

vdweller

Arcane
Developer
I'm all for a Dark Souls game with a pacifist mode and romancing options. Oh and dialogue wheel with 'Yes', 'No' and 'Sarcastic'.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
The levels themselves are sometimes rather complex like Cathedral of the Deep. In fact, playing through that level without a guide or map might count as some sort of an achievement.

:hmmm: Progression through that level is very linear with some very limited side areas. Can't even imagine how you could get lost there.

not completed the game, because one of the end-game levels is so brutal.

I sense another fan of respawning bell maidens.

nomask7

Arcane
:hmmm: Progression through that level is very linear with some very limited side areas. Can't even imagine how you could get lost there.

Spoilers the whole way down:

However you splice it, it's a long, hard to remember level with some not-so-obvious things you need to do to progress. Like that part where I gained access to the ceiling beams. You know, the area seemed like one of those "very limited side areas". How was I supposed to REMEMBER the layout of the complex mess so that I could figure out I needed to drop down from one particular beam to one particular place? Things like this don't even occur to me except when I'm specifically looking for secrets. This was one of my gripes with Bloodborne: places that felt like secret areas were actually mandatory if you wanted to progress. This sort of thing erases the borderline between exploring for secrets and trying to progress. I don't like that, especially in a game like this. And the first time I go through a level, I'm just trying to progress, I'm not in a looking-for-secrets frame of mind.

I also didn't notice one of the doors that led out of a small hall with a demon knight, so I backtracked and again assumed this was some dead-end, you know like those other dead-ends that you sometimes find in this game. And then of course, one fucker that I solved on my own: you apparently need to bring up a wall and then instead of walking on it to the other side, push the lever again to make it start going down again so you can drop down to the big central hall. It's all a little too platformer-ish for my CRPG mindset that I have when I'm playing these games. Obvious stuff if you can remember where you've been and have confidence that it's ultimately a linear progression, but otherwise it can confuse you pretty bad.

vdweller

Arcane
Developer

However you splice it, it's a long, hard to remember level with some not-so-obvious things you need to do to progress. Like that part where I gained access to the ceiling beams. You know, the area seemed like one of those "very limited side areas". How was I supposed to REMEMBER the layout of the complex mess so that I could figure out I needed to drop down from one particular beam to one particular place? Things like this don't even occur to me except when I'm specifically looking for secrets. This was one of my gripes with Bloodborne: places that felt like secret areas were actually mandatory if you wanted to progress. This sort of thing erases the borderline between exploring for secrets and trying to progress. I don't like that, especially in a game like this. And the first time I go through a level, I'm just trying to progress, I'm not in a looking-for-secrets frame of mind.

I also didn't notice one of the doors that led out of a small hall with a demon knight, so I backtracked and again assumed this was some dead-end, you know like those other dead-ends that you sometimes find in this game. And then of course, one fucker that I solved on my own: you apparently need to bring up a wall and then instead of walking on it to the other side, push the lever again to make it start going down again so you can drop down to the big central hall. It's all a little too platformer-ish for my CRPG mindset that I have when I'm playing these games. Obvious stuff if you can remember where you've been and have confidence that it's ultimately a linear progression, but otherwise it can confuse you pretty bad.
DIE, CASUL FAGGET

nomask7

Arcane
DIE, CASUL FAGGET

At least I'm not so casual I skip reading the messages I respond to. If you had read what I wrote, you'd know my criticism was valid: this sort of level design erases the borderline between exploring for secrets and trying to progress, the latter being about surviving monsters, not about exploration, I mean it was in Dark Souls and Dark Souls II.

But then you're probably one of those fags who played that level online and had like glowing messages telling you what to do next at each turn. It's usually the people calling other people faggots who are the biggest faggots.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane

:hmmm:

The whole ceiling area and the hidden Covenant you can get to by dropping down from there are both completely optional. I don't even know what you're talking about in your second paragraph. If anything, what's confusing about Cathedral is that it suggests complexity, by making it possible to control the walls in the main hall, for example, but ultimately what you need to do is just walk past the giant guarding the way. You don't have to drop down to the main hall, you just walk there along the only path available to you. I don't even...

nomask7

Arcane
:hmmm:

The whole ceiling area and the hidden Covenant you can get to by dropping down from there are both completely optional. I don't even know what you're talking about in your second paragraph. If anything, what's confusing about Cathedral is that it suggests complexity, by making it possible to control the walls in the main hall, for example, but ultimately what you need to do is just walk past the giant guarding the way. You don't have to drop down to the main hall, you just walk there along the only path available to you. I don't even...

Fascinating, if true. I'll keep this in mind for my next playthrough, hopefully less confusing for this level.

BTW, I don't want to give the impression I don't like these games. Despite all the codex whining, they're enjoyable and I believe very much regularly replayable. There aren't other games of this type except maybe Gothic 2 (if it counts) that come even close, so I don't know what games the haters are playing if not these, for all we know they prefer posting on the codex to playing Dark Souls (ugh, the thought of such misery). I intend to replay each of these games at least every couple of years. They could be better, but they're still the best we got.

nomask7

Arcane
By the way, anybody else try to trap the giant behind one of the metal bar walls? I tried to bait him but he would just throw crap at me and not move at all. What a shame.

nomask7

Arcane
All right, I put the Dancer of the Boreal Valley out of its misery. But it's a battle that traumatised me. Do the developers expect the players to memorise boss move-sets and cues, and teach themselves to react fast and flawlessly to each cue/move? Do people do this?

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
toro said:
What can I say. It really is the worst Dark Souls game and the best Bloodborne-clone at the same time.
Huh.. no, it's not a good bloodborne clone.

They share level design approach, some mobs, combat mechanics and other small things ... like the fucking engine.

It's true that the game was not supposed to be a straight BB-clone but it is the best BB-light game until Bloodborne 2 is release. Which is what I wanted to say initially.

Problem?

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
All right, I put the Dancer of the Boreal Valley out of its misery. But it's a battle that traumatised me. Do the developers expect the players to memorise boss move-sets and cues, and teach themselves to react fast and flawlessly to each cue/move? Do people do this?

I do but then this is not the way DaS3 was meant to be played.

Level Vigor to 27, google for high AR weapon, maximize your build AR, summon a NPC, beat the shit out of the Dancer and then come to codex to laugh about scrubs. That's they way it is meant to be played.

As you can see, it's all about skill.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Started trying parrying recently with my Dex character, it is effective. It does suck though when you parry someone and evade away because you think they'll attack you.

I also really dislike weapons that do three hits after parrying (like Katanas).

On another note, the dancer was nearly impossible to at a low level. Had to call for help. It really showed how bad the dancer is as a boss. That really long combo is annoying. The only worse enemy are the ones in Irythyll of the boreal valley.

Fuck me. You were completely retarded when I complained about this but now it's alright if you do it. /facepalm

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
DIE, CASUL FAGGET

At least I'm not so casual I skip reading the messages I respond to. If you had read what I wrote, you'd know my criticism was valid: this sort of level design erases the borderline between exploring for secrets and trying to progress, the latter being about surviving monsters, not about exploration, I mean it was in Dark Souls and Dark Souls II.

But then you're probably one of those fags who played that level online and had like glowing messages telling you what to do next at each turn. It's usually the people calling other people faggots who are the biggest faggots.

I think vdweller was joking.

sullynathan

Arcane
Started trying parrying recently with my Dex character, it is effective. It does suck though when you parry someone and evade away because you think they'll attack you.

I also really dislike weapons that do three hits after parrying (like Katanas).

On another note, the dancer was nearly impossible to at a low level. Had to call for help. It really showed how bad the dancer is as a boss. That really long combo is annoying. The only worse enemy are the ones in Irythyll of the boreal valley.

Fuck me. You were completely retarded when I complained about this but now it's alright if you do it. /facepalm
I complained about it too but it sticks out more this time.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
My favorite, despite popular Codexian opinion, is the original Dark Souls 2, even with the messed up world coherence.

Internet opinion would be more accurate. DS2 will not pass the test of time. It took me a long while to figure it out, but the game has some serious problems in terms of boss and level design. Not to mention that its lore ultimately is entirely disconnected from the rest of the series...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom