Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Dark Souls 3

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Ok, getting some weird bugs in this game that i never got in the other two.

Sometimes, when i focus on an enemy, the scree becomes filled with icons, including weird shit in Japanese writing. I have to get out of the game to fix it.

Then, i got summoned as a sun bro for the tree boss guy, but i couldn't enter the fog. I had to stand there outside while the dude killed the boss, and when he did i got the ember, souls and medal like normal. Like, what the shit.

BTW, level design is definitely new. Instead of various distinct areas, everything is this huge, gigantic place. I'm not going to say i don't like it yet, it's certainly different though. Also, i can see why people say this game is a bit too monochromatic. It's this metallic tint over everything, the first two games were more cartoony but also more varied.

Never got any of these bugs, can't advise on this. Shit happens.

Level design is really different from DS1, more "user-friendly" and all, still, there are some gems. My favourite location (for team game or PVP) is The Great Archives. Ringed City from DLC is also very distinctive.

My favorite part of the Grand Archives is that you can literally see the Grand Archives bonfire from the Dragonslayer Armor bonfire.

Got every miracle in the game thus completing all of those collectathon achievements, trying to kill Soul of Cinder on NG++.
Holy shit I forgot how cancerous that spear and his moveset is. Its like From forgot that they are supposed to be making Dark Souls and introduced a Bloodborne boss instead.

Its the same problem I have with Champion Gundyr, where he keeps fucking attacking with bullshit combos that never end and happen at a speed and a frequency that you can't really react to.

Is it me, or are buffs useless on higher game cycles? They seem to last only for a little bit, and on higher cycles bosses have so much health that it takes a while to down them, so your buffs run out constantly.
Is SL140 too low for NG++ or something?

Last edited:

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
Its the same problem I have with Champion Gundyr, where he keeps fucking attacking with bullshit combos that never end and happen at a speed and a frequency that you can't really react too.

haha love that guy
killing machine

maxresdefault.jpg

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Yeah, at least in Dark Souls 1 and 2 you had poise so you can actually do something if you get caught by a combo, but in Dark Souls 3 Poise only works if you use a certain weapon in a certain way when being hit by a certain weapon on a full moon on the 3rd Tuesday of a winter month while the Pope is taking a shit in the woods.
It wouldn't be so bad if the game actually told you how poise worked, but no, they hid a bunch of the stats and you have to consult a fan-made table to understand just what the fuck is going on.

What's funny is that in Dark Souls 2 there was a weapon stat that told you exactly how much poise damage a weapon dealt, so its not as if they couldn't do it, From just decided not to. Because game play clarity is bad.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
DS2 had some bosses where timing was crucial (to wit, Fume Knight, or Sir Alonne) but i don't remember bosses with unavoidable combos. Just killed the big tree guy, so far everything has been easy.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Oddly enough, I found the Dancer to be pretty easy. She's not actually that aggressive (well, compared to some of the later bosses and enemies) and you have plenty of time to back off and heal. Most of her attacks are avoidable exact for that one combo where you can't really block it because it breaks your guard and you can't really roll past it because it happens so often, but you can, funnily enough, avoid it just by running away.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
bullshit combos that never end and happen at a speed and a frequency that you can't really react too
This might just be the most concise and straight to the point review of Dark Souls 3 ever made. :)
In my sole playthrough of Dark Souls 3, I won using a sword-and-shield strength/stamina build, which remained generally effective but did require noticing the onset of overpowered combo attack flailing as this would often get me killed if I tried blocking rather than rolling. And there's at least one boss that required so much rolling that my hands were almost numb by the end of the battle.

Aldrich Devourer of Gods

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
Oh god I remember fighting Aldrich the first time and hating it.
The trick is to stay close at him, as then his AI won't favor ranged attacks as much and prefer to use melee, which can be easily dodged and baited out.

Yeah, his melee sucks.

The most beautiful boss intro is Nameless King's imo

Fishy

Savant
Oh god I remember fighting Aldrich the first time and hating it.
The trick is to stay close at him, as then his AI won't favor ranged attacks as much and prefer to use melee, which can be easily dodged and baited out.

Yeah, his melee sucks.

The most beautiful boss intro is Nameless King's imo

He also wins the prize for the worst camera.

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Yeah, the camera really doesn't like it when you fight large enemies like giants or Demons. Especially demons.
I hate the Old Demon King for that reason, because the camera goes apeshit and you die because you can't see what you are doing.

Gerrard

Arcane
PvE exclusively.

It aint about getting good, its about the opposite - lots of people tell me I havent experienced Dark Souls 1 properly because sorcery was a tad OP. :(
Tell those people to fuck off.
"Oh no you didn't put the spiked dildo up your ass while playing, you didn't play right!"

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
PvE exclusively.

It aint about getting good, its about the opposite - lots of people tell me I havent experienced Dark Souls 1 properly because sorcery was a tad OP. :(
Tell those people to fuck off.
"Oh no you didn't put the spiked dildo up your ass while playing, you didn't play right!"

I also like the people who go one about how Dark Souls doesn't work well with mouse and keyboard, while I beat all 3 games several times over several NG cycles with it.

"Noooo you can't use a mouse and keyboard for dark souls!"

"Lol mouse go click"

I actually like Dark Souls better on MKB than on controller. I used a controller and it didn't feel right. I think its because of the shoulder buttons, it felt really awkward using them to attack instead of dodge.

RoSoDude

Arcane
Mouse and keyboard is so good in Dark Souls it's almost cheating. As I said about the first game with the mouselook mod included in the Dark Souls Input Customizer:
It's funny -- I read through the first page of this very thread, and there were a number of people espousing the typical view that M+KB just makes no sense for Dark Souls, game isn't designed for it, etc etc. That's obviously true of the PC port, which featured perhaps the worst version of mouselook I've ever experienced (and the original DSMfix unfortunately wasn't much better, since interpolating mouse movement as joystick input leads to negative mouse acceleration) but it isn't true of the actual game design. I'd even go as far as to say that using proper M+KB almost amounts to cheating, as it has several obvious benefits:
  • Direct camera input allows for improved navigation especially on precarious cliffs and ledges, as well as improved versatility in combat -- locking onto enemies is now purely optional, as circlestrafing and dodging can be done effectively if not better with ordinary movement. Aiming a bow is now effortless as well.
  • No need to claw grip a controller or some other such nonsense to perform any action -- I can attack, aim, dodge, cycle through equipment, and so on without ever moving my hands from their resting position
  • Dedicated inputs for kick/dash/jump/leap attack make every option easily accessible in combat
There is only one legitimate drawback, which is that you only have 8-way movement on WASD. I can see why a lot of people might be more comfortable with a gamepad, but that's not an actual advantage, that's just personal preference. As someone far more used to M+KB, I found the game played flawlessly with that control scheme, no worse than any other 3D action game.
Dark Souls 3's M+KB controls are nearly as good as DS1's with the mod (though they lack dedicated kick/leap attack inputs), but DS2's configuration options were rather disappointing. I can live with the annoying bug that resets your input latency every time you restart the game, but what I don't understand is the lack of proper binding support for some actions. You can bind light and strong attack on each hand to click, double click, shift click, control click, mouse wheel scroll, pretty much any crazy combination of mouse functions you can think of, but not an actual key? Hello? I prefer to have right hand light/strong attack on LMB and RMB and left hand light/strong attack on E/Q, that's very comfortable and natural for me. This was not possible in DS2 out of the box, so I relented and just played it on a gamepad, as much as it wasn't my preference. I may give it another shot with an autohotkey script but that's such a pain.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Playing through DS3 again as a new character, thinking that a fresh start after knowing the game better would make some of the more annoying parts of the game more bearable.
Lol nope Farron Swamp + Crucifix woods is still fucking bullshit. Of all the things to keep from Dark Souls 1, they should have kept the Rusted Iron Ring.
Blight Town Swamp is horrible, but if you explored a side region to pick up the RIR it's a lot more bearable.

Farron Swamp is horrible, and remains horrible because there is no RIR equivalent, unless you like spamming quickstep with a certain weapon, which still feels jank as hell.
Those log wielding fuckers deal way too much damage for an early game area, and the ghru are the absolute worst.
I hated it on my first play through, and I still hate it. Its worse than Black Gulch holy shit. You can't even skip it, you have to find those 3 flames to extinguish.

Pyromancy is pretty fun though, except your strength and dex stats are pretty shitty, so your weapon options are limited.
Right now I'm using a raw broadsword and its doing some work, especially if I throw resin on it.

v1rus

Arcane
Enjoying the game. Forgot how awesome Dark Souls game are, even if i dislike this particular one (they went for the balless "lets redo the first one", and I'm incredibly disappointed by that). Say what you will about DS2, but they at least tried to make something different. Shame they failed so gloriously. This one is def way better in terms of quality.

I think i missed nothing, or almost nothing, and Im at farons keep right now. Raw sellsword twinblades + magic weapon are just fucking insane.

Gerrard

Arcane
Playing through DS3 again as a new character, thinking that a fresh start after knowing the game better would make some of the more annoying parts of the game more bearable.
Lol nope Farron Swamp + Crucifix woods is still fucking bullshit.
Just summon Eygon.
:dance:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Meh, i'm starting to find my quality build to be a bit boring, was thinking about respecting into something different, but i'm not sure what.

Silverfish

Arbiter
The remastered is a farce.
If Izalith is still broken, then its a not a remastered, its a cash in.
20 dollars is too much for an extra bonfire that you don't really need that much anyway.

Izalith was never broken to begin with.

Meh, i'm starting to find my quality build to be a bit boring, was thinking about respecting into something different, but i'm not sure what.

Go full strength. Use the greataxe until after the Profaned Capital, then switch to Yhorm's Machete. You'll thank me later.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Bleh, so i gave the blind waifu a book and apparently i wasn't supposed to. Not sure if i fucked up her quest haven't bought any of the dark spells yet they are sitting in her inventory but i can't believe From is still at it with this shit, allowing you to fuck up things without the slightest indication you are doing something wrong.

Another example is the NPC that allows to respec. If you rank up with her covenant or so much put on the covenant thing you gonna ruin a quest line with another NPC, and i only know that because i read her wiki while i was searching on how to respec. I don't understand the logic behind this.

BTW, i'm doing the darkmoon covenant thingy but i get summoned like once every half hour. I'm level 38 maybe i'm too low? Invasions too are very sporadic maybe this game isn't as populated as i thought so far it doesn't seem i'm getting any more action than i did in DS1 remastered when i replayed it earlier this year. I thought DS3 was going to be the most active guess i was wrong?

Silverfish

Arbiter
Bleh, so i gave the blind waifu a book and apparently i wasn't supposed to. Not sure if i fucked up her quest haven't bought any of the dark spells yet they are sitting in her inventory but i can't believe From is still at it with this shit, allowing you to fuck up things without the slightest indication you are doing something wrong.

Another example is the NPC that allows to respec. If you rank up with her covenant or so much put on the covenant thing you gonna ruin a quest line with another NPC, and i only know that because i read her wiki while i was searching on how to respec. I don't understand the logic behind this.

It's just a means of spicing up subsequent runs. Between character questlines that can branch off in a couple of different directions, intersecting or even conflicting with one another along the way and multiple endings on top, there's almost always something else to see in the game even after playing it a few times.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom