Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Dark Souls 3

Doktor Best

Arcane
Man that Friede fight sucks ass. Who designs that shit?

Silverfish

Arbiter
Hey, it might be needlessly time-consuming and the second phase might be easier than Pinwheel, but at least the music sucks.

Silverfish

Arbiter
It's kind of sad, actually. Really drives home the crippling emotional issues and attention whoring that gradually led the Souls fanbase from "Hey, I beat Demon's Souls without a shield!" 13 years ago to this nonsense.

SumDrunkGuy

This feels more like a fan project than a real entry in the franchise, LOL. A game made by a person who was birthed while the mother was on crack, and the poor thing slipped through the doctor's slippery gloves and landed on it's head. The poor thing.

Silva

Arcane
After dropping ER I've been thinking about the other games, and I remembered how much I love DS3 lore. Anybody else loves DS3's lore?

No kidding, this whole idea of "transitory lands that converge" at the base of the flame murking time-space yadda yadda really intrigues me. The way the world is presented as crumbrling in it's very reality fabric due to the fire fading is one of the most interesting extrapolations I've seen from a previous idea (in this case, the mythos established in DS1/2). I would love for a proper remake of this with better mechanics, less linear/better interconnected world, and improved gfx/a color palette that doesnt' resemble puke.

Am I alone in thinking there's a brilliant idea inside this cluster fuck of a game?

Edit: these pre-release screenshots give a glimpse on how the world could have been with better realized tech and gfx...

ys9x7Rw.jpeg

pA9bIue.jpeg

xJGbVT3.jpeg

ZxH5DbA.jpeg

UcOG996.jpeg

PeeNSL8.jpeg

X8pYGJr.jpeg

Last edited:

Silva

Arcane
From this shot it's clear how they failed miserably at conveining what Miyazaki had in mind. Instead of the oppressive, bloodborne-like atmosphere and hulking living shadows on far away buildings, we got shitty low-poly gfx with shittier collor palette and PS1-era "pus of men" blobs.

ys9x7Rw.jpeg

Last edited:

Caim

Arcane
Dark souls 3 with cinders mod is not that bad. On top of that you can still install movement variety mod. I wonder how elden ring stacks up to dark souls 3 with cinders.
Question?
I'm a big fan of Cinders, and I was thinking about giving the mod a try to compare it to Elden Ring. I have been playing the two differently: in Elden Ring I'm big on using dual wielding supplemented by a nice shield, while in DS3 I only slap a shield to my back for the stat gains. Cinders does have a number of interesting ideas: changes made to infusions to allow access to more weapons (Lethal removes int/faith scaling, elemental infusions change the int/faith requirements to match its preferred type and luck evens everything out), scaling on stability and defense on heavy and certain gimmick weapons, various options for journey configuration, covenants actually having a purpose, upgradable accessories, bonuses on armor, optional challenge modes and more.

Probably going with a Luck build and pick up the Melu Scimitars, but I'm going with Wanderer mode because weapon upgrading is absolutely busted thanks to the Thieves' Pact. Quite a lot about the mod is busted, but that's a story for another time.

Wunderbar

Arcane
From this shot it's clear how they failed miserably at conveining what Miyazaki had in mind. Instead of the oppressive, bloodborne-like atmosphere and hulking living shadows on far away buildings, we got shitty low-poly gfx with shittier collor palette and PS1-era "pus of men" blobs.

ys9x7Rw.jpeg
what do you mean "failed at conveying"? This is literally an in-game screenshot, not a concept-art. They accomplished it, and then changed the design to something different mid-development.

And that's a good thing tbh, dark souls 3 already feels like a bloodborne asset-flip, with black sky and lovecraftian monsters flying in background it would've felt even more pathetic.

Silva

Arcane

ys9x7Rw.jpeg
what do you mean "failed at conveying"? This is literally an in-game screenshot, not a concept-art. They accomplished it, and then changed the design to something different mid-development.

And that's a good thing tbh, dark souls 3 already feels like a bloodborne asset-flip, with black sky and lovecraftian monsters flying in background it would've felt even more pathetic.
:notsureifserious:

If you find the final gfx is like those early shots I'd say are in need of glasses. Those early shots have such oppressive, Bloodborne-like atmosphere the final version can't get close with those shitty low poly, lighting and color palette. And about it resembling bloodborne being a good or bad thing, well, let's just say anything is better than this ocre filtered gfx the final version got.

By the way, I found out playing the game with brightness all down and your TV contrast and color a little high makes the game much better looking, because it hides the grayish hue that plagues the engine.

Wunderbar

Arcane

If you find the final gfx is like those early shots I'd say are in need of glasses.
I never said the final gfx looks like the early screenshots. This is not the case of when artists create awesome concept art and then designers fail to turn it into an actual in-game graphics.

The picture you shown is an actual in-game gfx. Artists and designers did everything they were supposed to, and then drastically changed it for a reason.

Silva

Arcane

If you find the final gfx is like those early shots I'd say are in need of glasses.
I never said the final gfx looks like the early screenshots. This is not the case of when artists create awesome concept art and then designers fail to turn it into an actual in-game graphics.

The picture you shown is an actual in-game gfx. Artists and designers did everything they were supposed to, and then drastically changed it for a reason.
Okay, some of the shots above are actual screenshots from some early dev stage. In this, you have a point and I stand corrected. That said, the very first screen that you quoted is a concept art (see the city in the horizon full of giant black snakes - that's pure art and not in-game gfx), so in this case specifcally my point stands. Regardless, my main point was that the final retail game ended up looking like shit, be it for not following through with the original ideas, or not having the necessary hardware at the time to implement it.

Silva

Arcane
First time doing a faith build, more specifically an effeminate darkmoon, and I got some questions:

1. Am I right to infer the darkmoon variant is a hybrid of sorts between FTH and INT? Both the sunless talisman and that sacred golden spear imply this.

2. Assuming the above is true, that means I need to invest on INT a bit. But how much? What's a good spread for 120 soul level?

3. What's best chime and catalyst to use in this case?

Thanks in advance, faggots.

Silverfish

Arbiter
Darkmoon isn't really a hybrid unless you want the talisman (so-so) or the bow (lol). Pure faith is fine since that's what darkmoon blade scales with and that's where the big boy damage is.

Silva

Arcane
Darkmoon isn't really a hybrid unless you want the talisman (so-so) or the bow (lol). Pure faith is fine since that's what darkmoon blade scales with and that's where the big boy damage is.
You're forgetting the Golden Spear which is a spell catalyst based on faith:

Really, the whole point of a darkmoon build is emulate Gwindolin, who was shunned by his father for being a scrawny little faggot. "Here, go play with moon spells like the faggy you are. Sun miracles are for men".

Silverfish

Arbiter
I did forget the Golden Ritual Spear. Obviously, it's got versatility, but I never thought it was worth the wonky stat investment and I've never been too high on spears in the Souls games to begin with. They're in this bad middle ground where fencing swords do what they do, but weigh less and have better crits while halberds also do what they do, but have better damage and (usually) better heavy attacks.

Silva

Arcane
Fair. Still, it's surprisingly satisfying exploring exotic/non-obvious roles the game holds on its sleeve and seeing they actually work. I've been helping people online as a darkmoon and bringing out spells after the initial lightning blade pokes surely spooks people. Versatility heh?

Speaking of, I'm aiming for those 30 ears to get the darkmoon blade miracle. Is it better than lightning blade? Never saw it in action. With the online empty it's been slow.. I'm halfway through though, should get it by weekend.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Darkmoon is magic damage, which is better in PvP because lighting resistance is easier to come about for most players. Or so the theory goes.

As far as AR they should be the same which is why the lighting one is better for PvE.

Last edited:

Max Damage

Savant
Is there a way to fix random fps drops on PC? Yesterday the game ran smoothly, now I load and it starts stuttering at Firelink Shrine, and everywhere else as well.

Max Damage

Savant
Nevermind, turns out I just need to clean some dust off.
Yesterday the game ran smoothly, now I load and it starts stuttering at Firelink Shrine, and everywhere else as well.
it's a karmic punishment for skipping Dark Souls 2.
Funny you mention that, since I put so much time in configuring controls to even start playing that fucker, I got caught into sunk cost and hesitated to delete the game. Just for the occasion, I may try out magic run, since the game gives no mercy :P

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom