Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Dark Souls 3

Silverfish

Arbiter
First, it was Zweihander in Dark Souls 1, now I see this with Dark Souls 3. What's wrong with using what you think the best weapon out there?

Nothing, so long as that weapon is the Greataxe.

Silva

Arcane
aZrMWoW_700bwp.webp

Paul: "but father, and if I don't end up a Souls game, but something more like AssCred?"

Leto: "then I'll disinherit you. No trannies in the family"

cretin

Arcane
Douchebag!
Man From really outdid themselves on the obnoxious enemy design this time around. Going to go out today and commit a hate crime on the first Asian I see in retaliation.

Silverfish

Arbiter
Man From really outdid themselves on the obnoxious enemy design this time around. Going to go out today and commit a hate crime on the first Asian I see in retaliation.

Be sure to delay your swings so the person you're attacking rolls at the wrong time.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I'd probably put Champion Gundyr there somewhere but I also killed him on my first try so I maybe I lucked out and didn't get to experience all he has to offer.

He just has a kick ass move set.

I couldn't beat him normally but once i figured out you can parry him he went down switly enough, so much so i regretted killing him that way as i didn't get a chance to try to beat him just by dancing around his move set.

On my next playthrough i'll try to do him without parry.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
It's funny that playing through DS3 I thought the bosses were much more memorable than the levels (which I thought were pretty bland overall), but despite there being so many of them, I had trouble coming up with the 5th name on the list.

There's nothing funny about that. That's pretty much DS3 in a nutshell. Cool bosses, forgettable levels.

cretin

Arcane
Douchebag!
It's really disgusting how much DS3 is geared towards twinks, everything else gets the shaft. From forums it seems well noted that UGSs are bad in PVP against good players but UGSs kind of suck even in PVE, because now all the bosses and hard enemies not only have various types of area denial, but they also have very short recovery frames which means even if you play well and try to hit them on the counter attack, you're going to be stuck trading as they've already intiated another attack by the time your windup frames are done. Just feels bad overall compared to DS2 where it was a lot of fun to use a UGS unlocked, being creative with the angles of attack.

It's funny that playing through DS3 I thought the bosses were much more memorable than the levels (which I thought were pretty bland overall), but despite there being so many of them, I had trouble coming up with the 5th name on the list.

There's nothing funny about that. That's pretty much DS3 in a nutshell. Cool bosses, forgettable levels.
What was funny is that even though there were many cool bosses, I had trouble populating a top 5 list

cretin

Arcane
Douchebag!
Ditched my UGS "paladin" build to go full lord of lightning on niggas. From really hates health regen, even with 4 seperate regens actives (blessed infused weapon, sp ring, chime prayer, replenishment) it was still super meh and only ever useful for PVE exploration. Also lol @ all the protection spells being made specifically worthless in PVP. From says:
ダチファック聖職者
(nigga, fuck clerics)

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
So I beat the game a couple months back and here are some random spoilery thoughts:

+ It's more Dark Souls! Once again I played an armored knight with a penchant for big fucking weapons. I still love the feel of combat in this series.
+ I feel like the NPC interaction is the best of the series, and that's saying something. The NPC interaction is still bare bones, but you get a lot with that minimalist approach. I saved the onion knight in the well, but poor Yoel and Yuria. I saved the latter only for her to fall to an assassin I failed to notice.
+ I love the feeling of continued decay and chaos. The world definitely is becoming worsened over time. It was great walking up to a mook, just for him to surprise me by mutating into a horrible corrupted 'thing'.
+ It's a great send off to a great series. I got the bad ending where I take over the position guarding the flame since I went in without spoilers, but I went online afterwards to see the others. I think my next favorite is the one where the flame is snuffed out.
+/- This is a boneheaded move on my part, especially since I had just completed DS2 before starting this one, but I never upgraded the Estus Flasks until the last boss. I almost beat him a few times without it, but finally started going through my inventory to look for an edge an noticed the eight or nine undead bone shards sitting in my inventory (slaps head). Since I knew his moves inside and out by this point, I easily beat him once I reinforced my Estus Flasks.
- This is graphically worse than Dark Souls 2. The game is still beautiful and the graphics are sharper, but I believe the camera was pulled out a bit more and with a different angle, which made me feel a bit more removed from the action.
- The enemies that mutate are a great idea and fun to encounter, but their corruption takes up so much of the screen that it negatively effects the game play. They should have either reduced the width of the corruption or fixed the camera issues.

A great final game to one of the greatest series ever made. I've loved this series ever since I tried Demon's Souls on the PS3. I think this may be the weakest of the four games, but it's better than 99% of the other AAA games put out there. I just started Bloodborne, and I'm unsure what I think of it. I think it is slightly easier than the Dark Souls games, and it seems to be trying too hard to be an edgier. I'm seriously considering uninstalling it.

Ryzer

Arcane
So I beat the game a couple months back and here are some random spoilery thoughts:

+ It's more Dark Souls! Once again I played an armored knight with a penchant for big fucking weapons. I still love the feel of combat in this series.
+ I feel like the NPC interaction is the best of the series, and that's saying something. The NPC interaction is still bare bones, but you get a lot with that minimalist approach. I saved the onion knight in the well, but poor Yoel and Yuria. I saved the latter only for her to fall to an assassin I failed to notice.
+ I love the feeling of continued decay and chaos. The world definitely is becoming worsened over time. It was great walking up to a mook, just for him to surprise me by mutating into a horrible corrupted 'thing'.
+ It's a great send off to a great series. I got the bad ending where I take over the position guarding the flame since I went in without spoilers, but I went online afterwards to see the others. I think my next favorite is the one where the flame is snuffed out.
+/- This is a boneheaded move on my part, especially since I had just completed DS2 before starting this one, but I never upgraded the Estus Flasks until the last boss. I almost beat him a few times without it, but finally started going through my inventory to look for an edge an noticed the eight or nine undead bone shards sitting in my inventory (slaps head). Since I knew his moves inside and out by this point, I easily beat him once I reinforced my Estus Flasks.
- This is graphically worse than Dark Souls 2. The game is still beautiful and the graphics are sharper, but I believe the camera was pulled out a bit more and with a different angle, which made me feel a bit more removed from the action.
- The enemies that mutate are a great idea and fun to encounter, but their corruption takes up so much of the screen that it negatively effects the game play. They should have either reduced the width of the corruption or fixed the camera issues.

A great final game to one of the greatest series ever made. I've loved this series ever since I tried Demon's Souls on the PS3. I think this may be the weakest of the four games, but it's better than 99% of the other AAA games put out there. I just started Bloodborne, and I'm unsure what I think of it. I think it is slightly easier than the Dark Souls games, and it seems to be trying too hard to be an edgier. I'm seriously considering uninstalling it.
Dark souls 3 is a disaster. You could have described the issues but you only narrowed the little issues.
Rolling became retarded. Level design wise, the game is just a linear path from point A to point B with bosses, the multi-paths approach has been thrown into the garbage bin, the tricky fog system has been removed, there's no more this tension or fear of what's coming ahead. Everything has been reheated from Dark Souls 1, it's just pure fan service with nothing new brought to the table. Here is Anor Londo you liked, here are the silver Knights you liked. The bonfires placement is completely dumb, they are too close to one another.
It's not better than 99% of AAA games. DS3 is mediocre, lame, bland and it's a cash grab.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
DS3 is the most AAA of the franchise.
So yeah, kind of popamole. Polished, but a little bland and they made it too much like Bloodborne because le modern gamer has the attention span of a gerbil, so everything has to be flashy and fast.

I'm not hating on BB, mind you (never played it, bloody Sony), but I am hating on how they got the pacing of combat wrong.

It's like if they were to make XCOM into an MOBA because that's what the kids are into these days. It just feels wrong.
Sort of like how they turned CnC4 into a MOBA.

Silva

Arcane
DS3 is the most AAA of the franchise.
So yeah, kind of popamole. Polished, but a little bland and they made it too much like Bloodborne because le modern gamer has the attention span of a gerbil, so everything has to be flashy and fast.

I'm not hating on BB, mind you (never played it, bloody Sony), but I am hating on how they got the pacing of combat wrong.

It's like if they were to make XCOM into an MOBA because that's what the kids are into these days. It just feels wrong.
Sort of like how they turned CnC4 into a MOBA.
Bloodborne pace is perfect.... for Bloodborne. And that has nothing to do with attention spans but with a tighter, aggression-focused premise.

The problem of DS3 is taking that and applying it to a completely different environment, one that does not ask for it.

Last edited:

fork

Bloodborne really is the most overrated of Fromsoft's titles. While the map has some great interconnectedness, everywhere looks the same. The art design may be cool, but it gets boring fast. And then there's basically one way to play. Dark Souls 3 is kinda bland, but so is Bloodborne. Fromsoft peaked somewhere around Demon's Souls, Dark Souls or Dark Souls 2, BB marked the start of the decline, and it looks like the decline is going to continue with Elden Ring.

Last edited by a moderator:

Silva

Arcane
Blandness is in the eye of the beholder. Your blandness is among the most atmospheric cities ever in videogame for me (Yharnam).

Bloodborne at least caters to clear aesthetical ID and themes - gothic and Lovecraftian horror. What style does DS3 cater? None, because it's a total mess in all respects.

fork

No man, it's a good game, just overrated and somewhat disappointing, being a Fromsoft title. All I'm saying is it's been downhill ever since. I even enjoyed DS3 and Sekiro somewhat, and I might even enjoy Elden Ring, who knows. But it's not Dark Souls quality anymore.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom