Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Dark Souls 3

fork

Dark Souls 3 is without question the worst of the Souls games, except Demon's Souls Remake. I can't force myself to replay it today, it's just too linear and boring.

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
Village Idiot Zionist Agent Shitposter
Dark Souls 3 is without question the worst of the Souls games, except Demon's Souls Remake. I can't force myself to replay it today, it's just too linear and boring.

People call me retarded for loving PhillyD but you are far more retarded for not loving DS3. DS3 doesn't have all that good level design, but dear God does it have a ton of content and a lot of interesting combat.

Silva

Arcane
I disagree that DS3 doesn't look shit. It's color palette and levels (forest swamp, poisonous swamp, that cathedral) makes me wanna puke.

Yeah and on top of that I get very annoying texture lod transitions. Shit keeps popping in few meters in front of my character. At least DS II doesn't have that shit and has some color variety.
Yep. Crucifiction woods looks like a PS2 game in some parts.

BTW, that's something that made me wary of Elden Ring so far. From the screens it looks to have that same "greyish hue" DS3 has.

Puukko

Arcane
I played the Convergence mod for a few hours and it seems very promising. Where Cinders is more restrained, this completely overhauls several systems, expands areas (new bridges), switches bosses around and introduces new ones as well as adds plenty of visual flair. It's all very impressive stuff though it is still a WIP. Equally impressive is the hit to performance because damn, I had to make some sacrifices and I still can't hit a stable 60 on my ol' 1070. Now, I did add a relatively heavy Reshade preset (https://www.nexusmods.com/darksouls3/mods/544?tab=files) which in my opinion looks fantastic and greatly improves upon the normally washed out look. Still, there's something in need of optimization with this mod because most of the settings gave me precisely 0 fps benefits besides shadows and resolution which I had to drop down to a measly 900p. If you've got a beefy GPU though, these mods combined make for a near generational leap in the visuals.

For those unfamiliar, Convergence specifically focuses on the magic system, introducing new schools and making a magic focused playstyle more viable and interesting. I started as a necromancer, meaning I get to summon skelly lads, who are unfortunately fittingly braindead in terms of AI. They love getting stuck and attacking thin air and vary a lot in terms of usefulness. The devs probably did their best with what they had to work with, and you get an item to force your minions to target an enemy, and they also have pretty good damage output, so if they are positioned well, they can do some hefty cleave.

I won't spoil the bosses too much, but Vordt has had a substantial increase to difficulty without just turning him into a damage sponge, while the replacement for Rotwood is still thematically fitting for the area and entirely custom as far I can tell, not using any previous boss as a base. He's also there to tell you to git gud and to remind you to upgrade your stuff. You won't one shot this one. It's cool to have a Souls experience be actually difficult again.

Last edited:

praetor

Arcane

We're getting into total conversion/modder insanity territory. The results will be unpredictable, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't interested.

jesus fuck, this looks as awful as the soundtrack to the trailer sounds, with the crappy transition to the kiddie myspace "death metal" at the end. why the fuck do these guys think adding tons of breakdancing moves to the combat is a good thing? modders, maaaan...

seems like Stayd3d's DS2 improvement mod is the only decent thing will be getting for Souls (and the only we really need, honestly)

Jinn

Arcane
seems like Stayd3d's DS2 improvement mod is the only decent thing will be getting for Souls (and the only we really need, honestly)

Dark Souls: Nightfall and Dark Souls 3: Archthrones both look very promising too. Everything else seems like a bit too much though.

Puukko

Arcane
Lossless-Scaling-Screenshot-2021-09-25-21-21-12-70.jpg

I can't help it. I may be one step away from being a lich, but that doesn't mean I'll pass up on my ol' trusty lightning spears.

The lich form spell would have made this absolutely busted - it gives you 2x HP along with other effects while making spells cost HP, but the devs forgot to enable that effect for holy miracles, making them free. That and the darkwraith summon doing absolutely nothing were the first two definite bugs that I encountered.

Last edited:

Puukko

Arcane
Nearing the end of Convergence. Still got ringed city left, but DLC scaling seems to be barely existent so I am not expecting it to be difficult. I am not a challenge run or self imposed limitations kind of guy, but I may end up doing something of the sort for this final stretch because the mod is definitely on the easier side now. Cinders was similar, but the biggest walls were still towards the end of the base game with Nameless King and Aldrich giving me serious trouble. Here, the big walls appeared in the early to mid game, with the rotwood replacement, Abyss Watchers (yes, really) and Champion Gundyr replacement being the toughest. Cinders had an easy way to give enemies more stats which is something I did intermittently - here, the handicap options are pretty severe, such as 75% less hp or damage dealt, or no FP regen (though many people seem to be of the opinion that the default regen in the mod is too much) so I'm not sure I'll use those. I may simply opt to forego lightning spear cheese for starters.
Perhaps mix up my spell selection a fair bit.

Last edited:

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
Replayed the game with jumpy assasin (+another 60 hours).

If played immediately after DS2, the difference in art direction, colors and consistence is striking. DS3 feels more "adult" and realistic. Extremely beautiful also.

Ringed City PVP is still the best.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Imagine actually preferring colors in DSIII. :lol:

Yes, I prefer to play the dark story about the end of the world in bleak setting and not in the retarded fairy-tale palette.

I prefer grimdark to Disney too but first, DS2 is not fairy-tale, and second, DS3 is not grimdark, just bland and washed out. Entire levels are just a vague blob of beige and grey.

Have you played Mortal Shell? Now that's an awesome bleak, stark vibe without being boring and sad. Also Ashen is kindda cartoony but some levels and dungeons have some of the best vibe in any vidya.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Imagine actually preferring colors in DSIII. :lol:

Yes, I prefer to play the dark story about the end of the world in bleak setting and not in the retarded fairy-tale palette.
>He thinks a story about civilization collapsing because of an undead curse and a king succumbing to it just moments before finding a cure is a fairy tale
You didn't actually play DS2, did you?

Puukko

Arcane
I was shocked how washed out DS3 looked when I got back to it recently, I must have forgotten. Post processing does wonders to make it much more better looking.

I just started this again for maybe the 10th time, it's the only Souls game I haven't completed. This time trying a cookie cutter Dex build.

I really can't seem to enjoy it at all. Bloodborne is my favourite From Software game but this seems very haphazardly put together, like they didn't really adapt the engine for DS mechanics. R1 spam and L1 spam with dual-wield weapons just seems to stunlock everything. There's no weight to anything I do. The game looks bland as fuck and I feel zero incentive to play.

Ash

Arcane
It is the blandest of the three Dark Souls, but does have highlights (Boreal Valley, Archdragon Peak). Still better than Shitborne though. Yeah that game has solid atmosphere and art style but the gameplay is declined, a step back for the formula. It goes without saying still way better than most modern shit regardless though.

Silva

Arcane
Great Deceiver , I agree DS3 is the shittiest of the bunch. What makes me play it is my lorefaggotry: I came to find some lore parts really cool, so I try to capitalize on those. For example, I like the Londor lore so I try to make builds based on it. You can do a hollow on chargen and then go...

1. Swordsman of the Sable Church. Dex or Quality based, do everything for Yuria until you unlock everything you want (like the Dark Hand and Morion Blade). Then kill her to get Darkdrift and Billed Mask and voilá!
2. Assassin/Pale Shade of the Sable Church. Same above but turn against Yuria midway through so the Pale Shade aggro you and you can take their armor and claws. Voilá!
3. Cleric of the Sable Church. Same but focus on Faith and Londor miracles.
etc.

Yeah, this is pure LARPing stuff but the only way I found to play this turd. But who knows, the bosses are good and some areas are nice. Maybe you even like it in the end.
:dealwithit:

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom