Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Dark Souls 3

dGy7O6v.png

Most literal form of gatekeeping in videogames :positive:
simp

Max Damage

Savant
Vanilla DS2 is decent, but on my hexes playthrough I found myself mostly using Dark Weapon buff because the orbs don't go far and don't break most shields fast enough.

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
Anybody claiming Dark Souls 3 is better than 2 needs to be whipped and locked up in an insane asylum. Send all the twitter tards and game journos there too. Idiots.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Anybody claiming Dark Souls 3 is better than 2 needs to be whipped and locked up in an insane asylum.
But you see, DS2 is clunky, graphix are bad, there's bad design and artificial difficulty (which is bad) and worst of all, lava castle on top of a poison mill. A fantasy game with such things is literally unplayable.

On the other hand DS3 moves very smoothly, has good graphix and the bosses are big and make a lot of noise. You press buttons and it's awesome.

Odoryuk

Educated
My Elden Ring DLC character is ready, so I've been replaying Dark Souls 3 and it feels like a completelly different experience after ER, honestly, all of their games do feel different, even though they are so similar. Magic in Dark Souls always sucked, DS3's magic is the closest thing to ER's, but still very lacking, so I created a quality build of a warrior and bonk everything with Wordt's Great Hammer, occasionaly switching to Wooden Hammer when I'm feeling cheeky. It feels kinda fresh not abusing status effects like Bleed, and no, Wordt's Cold buildup doesn't do anything, Cold was never good in DS3 unless you use a Fire weapon to reset the meter (feels like a good idea for the next playthrough though).
Dark Souls 3 is pretty good. So is Dark Souls 2, though this one feels like a gaiden game rather than a real sequel, but we all know how it went through development hell, and the lack of Miyazaki direction didn't help either. I remember how the swing of the contrarian pendulum was against Dark Souls 2, when it was first released and was very popular and everyone talked about it, now it feels like it's on the complete opposite side, where contrarians pretend like it's the best thing since sliced bread (not against personal preferences, but the loud online presence dedicated to bashing other games instead of praising DS2 is telling).

Someday FS will start making bad games, will introduce microtransactions and other shittery, and you will feel sorry for bashing any game released in their Golden Era. You will!

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Cold buildup doesn't do anything
- cold doesn't do anything
- poison doesn't do anything
- poise does next to nothing
- durability is pointless
- weapon sweet spots have been rendered irrelevant
- armor is a joke
- split damage is a complete joke, therefore all split weapons are useless, therefore many boss weapons are useless, therefore many weapon infusions are useless
- most weapon arts are stupid and nobody uses them
- magic sucks
- miracles suck
- build variety is stunted compared to the previous games, especially DS2
- they got rid of various DS2 NG+ changes and surprises and brought back boring DS1 NG+
- got rid of bonfire ascetic
- got rid of powerstancing
- got rid of challenge run rewards (rings for not dying/not using bonfires etc.)
- PvP is way more annoying than DS2 due to cheap rolls and fast chugging
- covenants are utterly shoddy, sometimes just copy-pastes of each other, plus matchmaking is retarded so you rarely met anyone to fight even during the launch week
- there are fewer NPCs and most of them are forgettable and boring, including their quests
- level design is shockingly bad, feels like Chinese outsourcing
- big fat dollops of cringy fanservice at every step
- R1 spam solves 95% of the game

And I'm not even sure that's all of the cons.

The pros:
- looks ok
- moves smoothly
- a few great bosses

Dark Souls 3 is pretty good
Read the above and correct your mistaken conclusion.

Odoryuk

Educated
- armor is a joke
- split damage is a complete joke, therefore all split weapons are useless, therefore many boss weapons are useless, therefore many weapon infusions are useless
- magic sucks
- miracles suck
- they got rid of various DS2 NG+ changes and surprises and brought back boring DS1 NG+
- got rid of challenge run rewards (rings for not dying/not using bonfires etc.)
- covenants are utterly shoddy, sometimes just copy-pastes of each other, plus matchmaking is retarded so you rarely met anyone to fight even during the launch week
- there are fewer NPCs and most of them are forgettable and boring, including their quests
Not an issue (even if looking at actual problems, like shitty covenant system, not the ones you invent, like bad level design).

Odoryuk

Educated
So you just admit you don't care about systemic and mechanical problems, however serious or numerous, as long as the game looks good. Got it.
As long as the game plays good and still manages to captivate my attention like it did when it first released, I don't care about things that didn't quite work.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
It's not that well communicated in game, but Iron Keep is supposed to be in a volcano and Earthen Peak is meant to be at it's base, iirc.
In the trailer there's a segment of wasteland that the bearer of the curse had to traverse to get to the Iron Keep's gates, and apparently it was dropped because of time constraints.

A lot of DS2's issues come from them not having enough time. Same problem as FNV, really.
It didn't help that they had to scrap several versions of DS2 before finally settling on one, iirc.

Still closer to DS1's gameplay than DS3's adhd dodge fest.

Last edited:

Max Damage

Savant
In all 3 DaS games you can use shields/ranged weapons/magic if you don't want to dodge much, having strong weapon for PvE helps too.

Last edited:

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
In all 3 DaS game you can use shields/ranged weapons/magic if you don't want to dodge much, having strong weapon for PvE helps too.
Yeah, but dodge is just outright better in DS3 because they made poise stupid. I really don't like how they made poise hyper armour that activates with heavy weapons and weapon arts.
You just can't play a heavy tanky boi like you can in the other two games.

Silverfish

Arbiter
Magic in Dark Souls always sucked

What? Homing Crystal Soulmass is completely busted in DS1, DS2 has more op magic than even Elden Ring, and DS3, which tries to neuter magic spam, still has good shit like Chaos Fireball and Chaos Bed Vestiges.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
It's not that well communicated in game, but Iron Keep is supposed to be in a volcano and Earthen Peak is meant to be at it's base, iirc.
If someone hates DS2 because of:
- a volcano on a mill
- clunky

And loves DS3 despite the game being a broken, dysfunctional mangle covered up by a thin veneer of bling then they are village idiots and should immediately be labelled so in their Codex bio.

MasPingon

Arcane
Cold buildup doesn't do anything
- armor is a joke
- magic sucks
- miracles suck

And I'm not even sure that's all of the cons.

The pros:
- looks ok
- moves smoothly
- a few great bosses

Dark Souls 3 is pretty good
Read the above and correct your mistaken conclusion.
cvv consider's Lords of the Fallen a great game

janior

Arcane
Patron
DS2 has higher highs and lower lows, DS3 is not bad it's done by the numbers and they didn't even try to experiment or innovate anything(wish that cool lightning system made it to DS2 but oh well :negative:)

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
My brother, real talk now, how is it that whenever you post something it's almost always some shade of moronic? I seriously don't remember you ever saying anything intelligent or interesting.

It's almost like Wrong Carlo but instead of wrong you're always retarded.

Devastator

Learned
DS2 has higher highs and lower lows, DS3 is not bad it's done by the numbers and they didn't even try to experiment or innovate anything(wish that cool lightning system made it to DS2 but oh well :negative:)
At least we get DS1 (as slow as it is) and DS3, unless you don't mind the new open-world game DLC that crosses over with My Little Pony. Prancing around like you're on vacation does a great job at destroying any horror vibes. I already forgot everything about DS3: Big World (yawn!), except for Malenia. Still liked Gael more, though.

MasPingon

Arcane
My brother, real talk now, how is it that whenever you post something it's almost always some shade of moronic? I seriously don't remember you ever saying anything intelligent or interesting.

It's almost like Wrong Carlo but instead of wrong you're always retarded.
You wouldn't recognize something interesting nor intelligent, it's not your domain. I'm not your brother, my family do not have a history of trisomy 21 and if it had, my mother would tell me she flushed you in a toilet. Stop lying.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom