Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Darkest Dungeon II

Guys, I've got a question. The grinding aspect scares me a bit, but I was said that actually developers have developed a mod to avoid the extreme grinding + RNG, having washed out the frustration that it may come from it. Is it true or...?

Wunderbar

Arcane
Guys, I've got a question. The grinding aspect scares me a bit, but I was said that actually developers have developed a mod to avoid the extreme grinding + RNG, having washed out the frustration that it may come from it. Is it true or...?
it's not a mod, just a new game mode ("Radiant").

worth it playing this radiant mode? I was actually waiting for them to release the final patch for DD before starting to play.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Another job posting for 3D artist: https://www.darkestdungeon.com/job-posting-character-modeler-texture-artist/

Job Posting – Character Modeler & Texture Artist

Red Hook Studios, developers of the hit indie rpg Darkest Dungeon are seeking an exceptional, experienced, full-time character modeler/texture artist to join us as we work on our next great game!

We want someone who can go beyond simply matching orthographic drawings – we’re looking for an artisan who can become part of the production process and enjoy an invigorating back and forth with our concept team and Lead Modeler to arrive at a final model. High-fidelity sculpts are not as important as a pleasing fusion of model and texture.

Responsibilities:
  • Interpret concept art to create stunning and stylish 3d models.
  • Work with the Art Director and Lead Modeler to interpret a striking, stylized aesthetic.
  • Work with technical artists/animators to ensure models are efficiently built for rigging.
  • Assist the Lead Modeler as necessary to create a host of unsavory abominations and tormented heroes.
Qualifications:
  • Required: A+ character modeling skills
  • Required: A+ texturing skills
  • Required: 3+ years industry experience
  • Software: Substance Designer/Painter, zbrush, Maya
  • Self-Starter: You’re self-motivated with a strong work ethic who can thrive without micromanagement.
  • Professional: You understand that feedback is an important part of the creative process and are comfortable receiving it.
  • Game enthusiast: You’re up on gaming trends & try to play them when able
  • Familiarity with Darkest Dungeon gameplay preferred
Duration: Full-Time Permanent (with a 3-month probationary period)

They've been hired 3D programmers and artists before the official announcement. Are they really going to 3D for DD2?

(That reminds me, DD1 was originally going to be first person, at least for combat, or something. But I'm not sure first person makes sense at this point.)

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
This.

The narrator is *really* good. Actually the whole sound design and special effects are really good.
You get immersed and feel the visceral effects of the things happening on the screen much more than they are simply because of the very good sound work.

However, this can only fool you for so long. I've clocked in over 500 hours in DD, and I honestly can't say I'm proud - after a while you learn the sounds, and lines, by heart and eventually you shut them off due to their repetitiveness. You put your favourite music in the background - and when that happens, the illusion is gone.

I like lovecraftian-themed games, and I want(ed) to like this game, but eventually it all falls apart. :(

For those that want to look into the narrator: his name is Wayne June. Twitter account: https://twitter.com/wayne_june

There are maybe 3 or 4 games i love that I've put 500 hours in, imagine playing something for 500 hours only to claim that it sucks

never change codex

Max Damage

Savant
I didn't like Darkest Dungeon much, it felt like a drop of butter smudged into whole loaf of bread, but there's always possibility of sequel being much better than original. Will wait until sale, as always.

eXalted

Arcane
Bought it on a sale and played it for 20 hours. Was worth the money.

People playing it for 500 hours and saying they don't like it...

Another job posting for 3D artist: https://www.darkestdungeon.com/job-posting-character-modeler-texture-artist/

They've been hired 3D programmers and artists before the official announcement. Are they really going to 3D for DD2?

(That reminds me, DD1 was originally going to be first person, at least for combat, or something. But I'm not sure first person makes sense at this point.)

3D probably isn't a bad move. They can keep it looking the same, and they'll be able to animate it more than the first game at least.

It would've been nice to get some really good looking 2d characters this go around, but I'm sure that'd also cost more.

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
Affirmative Action Dungeon with a party full of Doomslayers is good cheese. Diversity Quota Dungeon is otherwise shit.

Codex Year of the Donut
heavily inspired (as in: total fucking ripoff, I wait for them to be sued)

Gameplay mechanics and artstyles cannot be copyrighted though.
Not quite depending on the jurisdiction. USA has some slight overlap in design patents and copyright law and it's rather muddled(see: Spry Fox vs. Lolapps)
Gameplay mechanics('rules') can be patented(at least in USA,) however.I highly doubt Red Hook Studios did apply for a patent.
Not to mention international IP litigation is a massive joke unless you're running a multi-billion dollar corporation.

Also, whether the patent would actually hold up in a court of law is still — probably surprisingly to most — an open legal question.

Fun example: Squaresoft patented the sphere grid in FFX.
https://patents.google.com/patent/US6676519B2/en
Even doodled a picture of Tidus
US06676519-20040113-D00004.png

Oh joy, i guess this means the development on the first game has fully stopped. Time to play it i guess.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
The fact that DD spawned a legion of copycats proves that it was a genre-establishing game. With all shortcomings it wasfun and I just hope they will fix all problems in DD2.

jf8350143

Liturgist
And just like Dark Souls copycat, those games only seems to focus on making it hard, instead of making it fun.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom