Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Dawn of War 3 - DAMNATIO MEMORIAE

Black_Willow

Arcane
They really should go for a fully fledged WH40k tactical wargame instead of WC3-like RTS
Methinks you know jack all about RTS games. DoW wasn't like WC3 at all, it was more akin to Z.

oh my, the witcher 3 deviates too much from the standard space invaders! it must suck.

And that's the number one problem with the RTS genre, it's to conservative in design philosophy for it's own good. The whole genre is basically a mod of Dune with base building and resource gathering having become de-facto gameplay mechanics.
if genre classification had really mattered deus ex would have been remembered as one of the worst games ever.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
DoWII was, in theory a great sequel:
1. Space Marines became hat they were intended to be - few but strong. No hundreds of killed space marine in each fight like in DoW1.
Actually, the endless reinforcements in the campaign of DoW2 made it even worse than in DoW1. I think I butchered a whole chapter as reinforcements against the final boss.

But you are right, I never fell in love with it as I did with DoW.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Am I the only one on the Codex who liked DoW II?

I liked it as someone who approaches RTSs casually. Played it that way until only the clans were left, then quit.

Naturally I rocked Xenos scum (Eldar) in multiplayer because muh Protoss.

Last edited:

Neanderthal

Arcane
I liked DoW II until I played a mod for the original DoW called the Fall of Cyrene, had the same small party thing going on (just four marines actually) but did it bloody right and much better than DoW II vanilla. Then again I thought Chaos Rising really stepped it up, and I fucking loved the defense of the governers palace, real good siege gameplay.

LizardWizard

Cipher
COH2 was a steaming pile of shit. How many designers that worked on DOW1 still even work at Relic?

Dreaad

Arcane
Deep in your subconscious mind spreading lies.
Honestly I think they should push further than DoW 2 and remove not only base building but random enforcement too. Would love a Myth like in 40k setting.
Extended campaign with limited units that transfer from map to map. Use capture points for things like orbital support options, radar, good defensive positions.
:takemymoney:

I don't think base building belongs in 40k.

Aothan

Magister
I was thinking DoW II with additional types of armies, similar to the variety in the predecessor, and substantially increased number of units available to armies would suffice. Basically the more tier 1 and 2 type units available the more flexible strategies become, rather than limiting how many feasible compositions are available at the start of the game.

For example, Banshees don't work, unless the other player is doing something unusual or does not focus fire (and retreat if necessary, whilst building another ranged unit). But add in a few more early unit selections and somewhere somehow Banshees would become particularly viable, again, alongside better supporting units.

there are many ways to bring about a new DoW III that could be just as good and in some respects an improvement to the game series

Animal

Savant
Shitposter
Honestly I think they should push further than DoW 2 and remove not only base building but random enforcement too.

NPTIhhs.png

Neanderthal

Arcane
Ideally I would want a mix of DoW 1 & 2, if we were playing Imperials anyway, with large battles, fortifications, turrets, and chains of supply similar to CoH 1. This would be the battleground of the Guard however, mass battles with artillery, air strikes, armour and troop deployment. Maybe on the bigger maps and later scenarios even Titans striding over the battlefield.

However in contrast to this i'd also have small covert or strike missions with Astartes or Assassinorum operatives, to assassinate leaders, to seize relics or tech, to scout out enemy positions, to reconnoitre space hulks and maybe even infiltrate enemy strongholds. Indeed you could have almost a dungeon crawl, and make a little RPG out of it. However I would have small, expert teams operating in these missions, with no back up, little to no reinforcement and a very real chance of failure.

Perhaps there could be teleportariums or small Imperial outposts on maps, where one can heal up, re-supply and gather intel. Or maybe even bring critically injured members back to health, teleport them back to the medicae facility, or see them entombed in a Sarcophogus if too grievously injured. Dragging ones comrades back to such places might be a nice strategic choice, you either leave a valued, expert team member behind and lose all his experience, or you risk being gimped by his body as you drag it through the map to a point where he can be brought back into play in a later mission. Then you have to decide whether or not to press on with a smaller crew, or abandon the mission and take the consequences.

That's another point where i'd focus, consequences for lost or abandoned missions.

I can imagine a basic scenario as say a covert planetfall with elite forces, silently seizing strategic points such as a spaceport, scouting out opposition, assassinating key leaders, monitoring enemy transmissions and preparing landing points for the incoming troops and materiels. Perhaps as a last objective a number of coordinated distraction attacks.

The second part would be the strike forces planetfall, perhaps first an orbital strike to clear the area of the enemy highlighted in the last mission, Valkyrie drop ships delivering troops, larger vessels delivering tanks and artillery, ammunition dropped or collected from the enemy, all based on what has been achieved in the previous mission. After this there would be a limited time to reinforce ones position, have the troops entrench, the tech priests set up defences, the commander issue orders and decide on battle lines, the armoured sections be deployed etcetera. This would culminate in the battle.

Perhaps during this conflict the attention could once again at some paused point focus on the initial strike team, as they are tasked with another covert mission arising from the commanders grasp of the enemy, and this could affect the larger battle in some manner when we switch back to it.

Probably all too ambitious and impractical however.

Animal

Savant
Shitposter
Ok. Let's elaborate.

For a single player campaign, I guess that following a given chapter/army along a cool story, with persistent units and whatnot could make sense. The problem is that it doesn't work so well in multiplayer.

If we go at it with 4 squads or whatever like in DoW2, it's going to play out like an arena type game and the epic big battles will be gone.

If we do a closer to tabletop experience, with a X points army deployed from the get go, the battles will turn into a clash of 2 deathballs down the middle of the map, unless they turn the game into a turn based or a slow experience like the Total War series.

I would rather have a standard RTS experience, because the strategic depth and the build up mechanic makes for more diverse games. Also, the DoW1/CoH1 zone control mode makes for dynamic battles, without the filler apm trappings of more known RTS games, like Starcraft, that push away people wanting a more casual approach, while retaining depth. It's the best RTS experience you can get in multiplayer, in my opinion, and I genuinely miss playing those types of games.

Neanderthal

Arcane
I can see where Dread's coming from Myth was damn good, and i've not seen anything like that done since, and seeing your warriors from Crow's Bridge all the way to the end of the game was bloody satisfying.

Aothan

Magister
Animal said:
If we go at it with 4 squads or whatever like in DoW2, it's going to play out like an arena type game and the epic big battles will be gone.

four squads is how many players open in DoW II, which is not the same as the end game situation where squads, vehicles, walkers, globals, and commanders, as with the increasing accumulation of tactical abilities all come together. It is because of the emphasis on the functionality of the squad-unit that many scenarios can last for protracted minutes at a time. DoW II's design allows for multiple possibilities, games can play and finish on minimal units but are also quite likely to involve large arrays of diverse unit selections. Which is why even with the many problems, namely balance issues, of the game I have enjoyed playing DoW II until just recently.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
I am curious what they will do. I enjoyed Dow II's style for the campaign with the gear and level progression. At the same time, I missed the full RTS experience of DoW I.

I almost wish they could take elements from DoW I and II, but that would probably just end up WC3.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yes... what will it be?
Herp-derp-clickalot-action like DoWII or some proper oldschool base building like DoWI?

Or will they manage what no dev team managed, ever, and create a well working FPS/RTS hybrid?

i could settle for an expanded dow2 with more gear, skills, units and commanders while i wait for the wh40k mod for total war warhammer.

DramaticPopcorn

Mang, I reinstalled DoW I and replaying Dark Crusade now.
CREEPING NECRON DEATH SHALL TAKE OVER KRONUS

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Launching dow2 just now, I was invited to create a relic account, so that I could "gain access to news as soon as it happens".

Seems this might be happening.

Aothan

Magister
potentially good news in another two or more years, ah, but I would welcome a return to Dow II with two expansions or more.

as it is, I have been contemplating DoW II of recent, and thinking the most reliable build for open public games (which typically take place on Argus Desert Gate) is to transition promptly from 3 Guardians (unless, and not really something to assume, you can rely on your team for about two and a half minutes at this stage) to Shuriken squads. Two or more, whilst upgrading the commander. And then transition to tier 2 for Brightlances.

Brightlances are cumbersome but cost for cost they are exceptional at countering vehicles, particularly the ever so early Ork vehicles (because Ork economy just does not stop, regardless how many times their squads were sent to base, or power supplies disrupted etc). And then...Disruption Cannons, also largely underrepresented for cost and function.

the problem, it isn't a very enjoyable playstyle, and almost completely opposite of the theoretical reasons I want to play Elder. But Banshees are just so costly and tend to experience multiple complications. A little more complexity would have completed Elder and allowed for the possibilities the game design always kept limited (a la BloodCrusher's balance patch, 'BCs', and the drawn out balancing process).

the other problem of course is ranged globals, and say Imperial Guard, but Imperial counter Elder in every possible way anyway.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom