Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Days Gone - Sons of Anarchy Zombie Apocalypse - PS4

Doktor Best

Arcane
99.999% of games don't have a normal save feature anymore. What scares me is that people seems to not care, as if they forgot completely that games used to have this feature in the past.

I don't mind save systems that are different from the typical manual save system. In fact i regard the manual save system as faulty because difficulty relies heavily on the pace of the player saving the game and it disrupts risk reward situations.

What i do mind is a save system that poses as a manual save system, but in fact is a shoddily implemented checkpoint system that ruins immersion. In Asscreed especially it was beyond stupid as you spawned outside the city walls but targets you already killed and loot you've already collected remained dead and in your inventory, as if your death somehow miraculously respawned another clone of yourself and cast an amnesia spell on every guard in the area. That's why i ask here in this thread how the system works in Days Gone, because if it the same, i'll put the game in the "never buy" category instead of the "buy at steep sale" category. No need for a game that has shit game design for no reason.

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
I mind also pure auto-save/checkpoints because when i start again i was never sure at which point of my playthorugh I am. Some games even warn you: "warning, last auto-save was 15 min ago". Fuck you game.

The risk/reward argument is just a poor justification for lack of manual saves. The real reason is consolization and linearization of games to be more akin to the old arcade games, where the point was to contraint the player to replay the same level as much as possible.

Checkpoints and auto-saves with no manual save are now acritically used without reason in every context. I found them even in point&click adventure games! When I boot again the game after a session, I have to spent a lot of time trying to redo puzzles, re-examining objects or dialogs that could trigger some event, because I don't know exactly when the checkpoint/save hapoened (and what has been saved and what not) and I need to figure out manually at which point of the game I am.

Yes a fake manual save game is even worse. But it something completely in the trend of things.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
You have (plenty of) autosaves and you can have manual saves, but you can only save (quicksave or manual save) near your bike or bed.

Sentinel

Arcane
Days Gone reportedly tracks every keystroke a player might make on their computer while the game is running.
According to Sony Bend, the draconian data collection policies in place are supposed to prevent the use of cheats and hacks.
Seriously hope you lads didn't pay for a keylogger.

Codex Year of the Donut
Days Gone reportedly tracks every keystroke a player might make on their computer while the game is running.
According to Sony Bend, the draconian data collection policies in place are supposed to prevent the use of cheats and hacks.
why are japs so fucking weird about computers

I guess rockstar is too, console devs are fucking weird about computers
it's my computer, not your platform to install whatever the hell you want

fork

Well, that's what you think.

Codex Year of the Donut

Well, that's what you think.
Their keylogger doesn't even work on lunix

:positive:

ADL

Prophet
Is there any source on this besides that Steam review quoting the EULA? It's wise to block outgoing connections for single player games by default but I don't buy this.

Codex Year of the Donut

cretin

Arcane
Douchebag!
Game is not bad.

I came in expecting the gameplay of The Last Of Us except open world, and that's pretty much what I got. I am genuinely surprised the game, unlike most games, didn't blow its wad early on its USP/gimmick - the hordes. I'm like 2 hours in and I've yet to encounter a horde.

I started on hard, found it a little too trivial, so I restarted on survival. Hasn't been very challenging so far, but apparently most people are terrible at video games because the reddit for this game was filled with people whining about the original release difficulty. I hope it gets more difficult because so far the human combat has been pretty braindead stuff, fronting them is not difficult because they are bad shots and even stealth clearing camps isn't hard because their visual and audio ranges are pathetic even in good weather. As I say, i hope this increases over game progression and I assume it will.

Ditto for the scavenging elements. So far I've never run into a situation where I'm hurting for supplies, but it's still very early into the game and I assume you start burning through resources later when you have to clear out hordes of Not-Zombies.

The characters and characterization are uh... a little different....Whoever directed this game really had a hardon for trying to emulate normal human speech tics, but it is actually almost obnoxious in drawing your attention to it. Like you're aware of the man behind the curtain and what he is doing rather than being immersed in the result.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
I came in expecting the gameplay of The Last Of Us except open world, and that's pretty much what I got. I am genuinely surprised the game, unlike most games, didn't blow its wad early on its USP/gimmick - the hordes. I'm like 2 hours in and I've yet to encounter a horde.

You should start seeing hordes pretty soon, but the game doesn't make you kill one

until late in the story. You can of course kill them earlier at your own choosing.

I started on hard, found it a little too trivial, so I restarted on survival. Hasn't been very challenging so far, but apparently most people are terrible at video games because the reddit for this game was filled with people whining about the original release difficulty. I hope it gets more difficult because so far the human combat has been pretty braindead stuff, fronting them is not difficult because they are bad shots and even stealth clearing camps isn't hard because their visual and audio ranges are pathetic even in good weather. As I say, i hope this increases over game progression and I assume it will.

Ditto for the scavenging elements. So far I've never run into a situation where I'm hurting for supplies, but it's still very early into the game and I assume you start burning through resources later when you have to clear out hordes of Not-Zombies.

The characters and characterization are uh... a little different....Whoever directed this game really had a hardon for trying to emulate normal human speech tics, but it is actually almost obnoxious in drawing your attention to it. Like you're aware of the man behind the curtain and what he is doing rather than being immersed in the result.

I'm terrible at video games, so I play on normal - but I don't think that resources become a major problem at any point in the game except maybe a huge horde fight or when the game introduces a new enemy type for the first time. If you really hurt for resources - which should almost never happen, you can fast travel to several destinations and collect the respawning crap (I never had to do that).

Difficulty rarely spikes and with the right weapons, you can take out entire camps in stealth mode.
or cheese hordes in stealth mode

cretin

Arcane
Douchebag!
well the difficulty very quickly spiked on survival. The human enemies im encountering now are much better shots, and hordes are legitimately terrifying because you can't outrun them especially with shit early game stamina.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
I don't know how important hit points are on survival, but for me it made sense to pick stamina injectors most of the time, then focus, then health.

Yes, for hordes it's smart to keep your bike close.

polo

Magister
Im kind of addicted to this, but yeah, im playing it in hard2 or something and its quite tbh. Unlimited ammo most of the time because of camps and shit, fuel is almost everywhere you need, and every enemy die if u headshot it once, with rare exceptions.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Game got a lot of undeserved shit when it was released on playstation. People were expecting an open world last of us, this isn't it... But in my opinion, it's great fun regardless.

Baron Dupek

Arcane

why are japs so fucking weird about computers

I guess rockstar is too, console devs are fucking weird about computers
And russians
They made StarForce DRM that later inspired Denuvo

cretin

Arcane
Douchebag!
Okay so more hours in, I genuinely like this game and im starting to be interested in the story.

However, it has that same problem so many modern open world games have: absolutely amazing, realized environments.... with nothing to do in them.

Exploration outside of trying to find active PoIs is pointless as anything other than a restock of generic supplies. All the rewards in the game are gated behind clearing PoIs in typical openwurld fashion.

This is a shame, because the world is gorgeously realized with lots of unique locations and an impressive amount of enterable structures that arent copy pasted.

bat_boro

Arcane
This is true, although there are some weapons that you could find in some remote unmarked places before actually clearing the camp and obtaining the crafting recipe. I believe I finished the game with "found" instead of crafted melee weapon, same applies for ranged although you do get better versions in the camps later.
Other than that, you could stumble upon caves (during the day) or roads (night time) with hordes as well but yeah, more stuff to do would have been pretty cool. Feel like they had stuff planned that was first cut and then scrapped altogether when it was decided no DLCs would be produced

JDR13

Arcane
I'm about 60 hours in and still really enjoying it. The atmosphere is truly fantastic at times. I also like the characters a lot more than I thought I would.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I agree with you guys, I'm really suprised that I like playing this one despite my hate for zombie games.
Survival diff. really feels like a survival. Dunno how all change when I get better weapons and more stamina injections.

This game is astonishingly very, very good. The combat and survival aspects are neat. The story is also interesting and, to my pleasant surprise, pretty engaging. I also like the characters; Boozer is probably the biggest bro in the history of bros.

My favorite side activity is to cruise around with bike and hunt for zombie ("freaker") hordes to decimate. There is just something so very satisfying and relaxing about it.

zjkvnxx.jpg

vonAchdorf

Arcane
The main characters are good, but I think that the characters in

the second half of the game aren't as fleshed out as they could be. The characters (and locations) in the northern half of the map are imo more memorable.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom