Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Days Gone - Sons of Anarchy Zombie Apocalypse - PS4

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
No survival mechanics whatsoever, no real scavenging just some basic looting to refill your consumables. Feels like Devs had bigger plans for the game and as usual ran out of money and cut most of non story content.

I played Hard difficulty (Days Gone) and I agree with this in that difficulty. However, higher difficulties according to the info might make it more of a proper survival scenario... or not.

Atchodas

Augur
No survival mechanics whatsoever, no real scavenging just some basic looting to refill your consumables. Feels like Devs had bigger plans for the game and as usual ran out of money and cut most of non story content.

I played Hard difficulty (Days Gone) and I agree with this in that difficulty. However, higher difficulties according to the info might make it more of a proper survival scenario... or not.
Survival difficulty makes enemies stronger and removes hud and makes crafting materials more scarce it does not add any actual survival elements tho.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I just finished the game and got the lame post-credit sequence where Deacon collects his rings in the Ark. How can I access the secret ending "DLC" without having to slog through defeating those 40 hoards or running around desperatly looking for something to do until O'Brien radios me? Is there a shortcut to that ending? Also, is there any other special post-game content that's hand-crafted instead of generic kill and fetch shit? Or is it time to just let go and move on to something else? I'd rate the game 7/10 with far too many annoying and sentimental cutscenes and less-than transparent game systems that absolutely guarantees I'll never play Days Gone ever again (I skipped a shit-ton of those cut scenes, especially between Deacon and his unattractive wife. Ick). Funniest moment was Weaver and his elation at getting new tunes for his MP3 player beats.

Atchodas

Augur
I just finished the game and got the lame post-credit sequence where Deacon collects his rings in the Ark. How can I access the secret ending "DLC" without having to slog through defeating those 40 hoards or running around desperatly looking for something to do until O'Brien radios me? Is there a shortcut to that ending? Also, is there any other special post-game content that's hand-crafted instead of generic kill and fetch shit? Or is it time to just let go and move on to something else? I'd rate the game 7/10 with far too many annoying and sentimental cutscenes and less-than transparent game systems that absolutely guarantees I'll never play Days Gone ever again (I skipped a shit-ton of those cut scenes, especially between Deacon and his unattractive wife. Ick). Funniest moment was Weaver and his elation at getting new tunes for his MP3 player beats.
There is no secret ending, after credits roll you need to keep playing for a bit and new missions will be popping up and wrap up certain storylines, last one is Finding Nero which clickbaiters call secret ending, if you dont get radio calls just sleep several times until you get the last one.

Yeh replaying this game would be questionable choice. Since second playtrough would be exactly the same as the first one.

Last edited:

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
There is no secret ending, after credits roll you need to keep playing for a bit and new missions will be popping up and wrap up certain storylines, last one is Finding Nero which clickbaiters call secret ending, if you dont get radio calls just sleep several times until you get the last one.

Yeh replaying this game would be questionable choice. Since second playtrough would be exactly the same as the first one.

Yes, it would be the literal definition of insanity to replay this game, I think, slogging through the same exact extreme storyfag shit, expecting a different outcome each time. I don't regret my time with Days Gone though. It was quite enjoyable for what it is and one of the better zombie/infected apocalypse open world scenarios where at least you had to work to get your character pumped up, unlike, say, popamole like AC: Valhalla where your stamina pretty much instantly replenishes from the very beginning of the game and you're able to murder an entire citizenship of viking warriors in the very first town you came across and not even break out a ball-sweat (or vagina-sweat if you choose to get your closet gay on and play a female.)

JDR13

Arcane
Yeh i get it now.

You find this barebones console game hard and scarry :lol: and really liked it because bikes go brrr and freakers go arrrrgh but not everyone is a simpleton like you and might want to see more depth and more believable post apocalyptic setting

I know this may be hard for a neanderthal like yourself to grasp, but not everyone agrees that having to stop every 10 minutes to eat and drink, or whatever other banal survival aspects you think would add more depth, are fun.

There's a thin line between believable and enjoyable in games. Having to gas up or refill ammo more often than we already do wouldn't add anything to the game that most people would see as a positive.

JDR13

Arcane
I don't regret my time with Days Gone though. It was quite enjoyable for what it is and one of the better zombie/infected apocalypse open world scenarios where at least you had to work to get your character pumped up, unlike, say, popamole like AC: Valhalla

Well, it's not like there are many good zombie/infected apocalypse open-world games out there to begin with. 95% of the games in this genre are mediocre to average at best imo. Only this, TLoU, and Dying Light stand out as being better than average, and Dying Light is the only one I plan on replaying.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I don't regret my time with Days Gone though. It was quite enjoyable for what it is and one of the better zombie/infected apocalypse open world scenarios where at least you had to work to get your character pumped up, unlike, say, popamole like AC: Valhalla

Well, it's not like there are many good zombie/infected apocalypse open-world games out there to begin with. 95% of the games in this genre are mediocre to average at best imo. Only this, TLoU, and Dying Light stand out as being better than average, and Dying Light is the only one I plan on replaying.

I enjoyed the Dead Island series and actually felt bummed when I lost my game save half-way through Riptide and knew I wouldn't restart. It served as a dry-run for Dying Light but more barebones but it had that same tense quality of not knowing what was out there ready to swarm you.

JDR13

Arcane

I enjoyed the Dead Island series and actually felt bummed when I lost my game save half-way through Riptide and knew I wouldn't restart. It served as a dry-run for Dying Light but more barebones but it had that same tense quality of not knowing what was out there ready to swarm you.

I couldn't get into Dead Island. For me, it's too obvious that the game was designed more for multiplayer... especially in the way enemies and items respawn almost immediately.

That's why Dying Light was so surprising to me. I couldn't believe it was from the same studio.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I liked the freeform style of the Dead Island series where they'd drop you in the middle of a huge dense shantytown and you'd basically pick a direction and just foray out for items or supplies, wondering how you'd manage to get back sometimes because things could turn so unpredictable. It's not nearly as good as Dying Light which refined and improved everything about the Dead Island series but I liked the "roguelite-elements" in the Dead games in single-player. It's not STALKER but fun for a casual playthrough at least once.

Regarding Days Gone, I finally found O'Brien in the "epilogue." It was okay and now I can safely put this game to rest.

SlamDunk

Arcane
I just got done spending 300 hours with Red Dead Redemption 2. How does this compare and is the PC version worth playing?

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron
Day's Gone is a bit more of a focused experience than RdR2 IMHO, meaning less "MMO activities" in comparison.

I played through the Steam version with only one kinda big bug (a whole semi-big, mandatory in-door area did not spawn any walls/furniture and I had to navigate what amounts to essentially an invisible maze. Not impossible, but surely annoying). I believe this particular bug was scheduled to be fixed though. Keyboard + Mouse controls no problems.
Time-wise I finished after 43.7 hours, doing most extra stuff but not going after 100% completion (as a matter of fact I just checked: I unlocked 67% of the Steam Achievements). Also playing at a relatively slow pace.

I thought the game was alright. Not GotY material, but certainly not utter trash either.

Last edited:

ADL

Prophet
It's one of the best Unreal Engine 4 games to be released on PC so the port is really good. It's not frustrating to play like Red Dead Redemption 2 was in the sense that the controls aren't shit and you won't be failing missions because you took the wrong step to the left. Days Gone is more of a sandbox. Play it on the harder difficulties.

unseeingeye

Cleric/Mage
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I just started playing this for some reason, and am enjoying it for what it is. I dislike zombie games and biker culture in general, yet for some reason this game has interested me ever since I saw prerelease footage, though I haven't had a working PlayStation in a long while. I'd heard it was released for PC and lately have been looking for something to play to relax when I'm just not in the mood for deep CRPG mechanics, but have bounced off of nearly every game I've tried over the past year or two. Metal Gear Solid V has been the only reliable game for me that I can return to, and the Resident Evil 2 remake is alright at times. Anyway I'm only a few hours in but so far I've found it to be basically what I'd anticipated since seeing a trailer back in 2018 or whenever it was, and am glad I finally decided to try it. The interactivity with things like disabling car alarms and being overwhelmed by hordes makes it more entertaining than other open-world action games I've tried and found incredibly dull, like the past few Assassins Creed games, Death Stranding, and even Red Dead Redemption 2. I was a huge fan of the original RDR but the sequel just lost the appeal for me after a certain point; I finished it but doubt I'll ever replay it. Anyway just thought I'd contribute to the thread in case anybody else is considering it but uncertain whether or not it is worth it. It's stupid, no question about it, but it is definitely fun.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Good game. The map isn't huge, but big enough to leave the player possibility to venture outside missions, and find loot and resources, if he wants to. The atmosphere is superb, and along the weather changes makes it a pleasant experience. Game is optimized really well, and I had no technical problems. Aside from the hillarious one near the end, where the textures didn't read properly, and Deacon was in a low resolution purgatory with invisible walls all around. Quiting the game, and loading the save solved the issue. Music is for the most part in the background, and only gets more noticeable during tense moments. Plus the ocassional songs here and there. As for the story, bromance with Boozer was really well done, and wasn't half baked. The waifu plot got tiresome at the end, it felt to me like there was a distance between Deacon and her after they found each other. Plus him becoming the leader of the group

The horde system works really well, and you can use it to your own advantage to kill normal thugs from the camps, if you are lucky or patient. Melee weapons are good, but in vanilla version they are too fragile for my liking. You can change durability of them using mods.

At the beginning you can't hoard much ammo, but with so many caches being around, plus ingredients for molotov cocktails and pipe bombs you can quickly deal with the danger. The hordes are a different beasts and even having most of the skills unlocked it's easy to get swarmed if you are not careful. I think the killing of them should be introduced way earlier, because dealing with them near the end feels like an afterthought to me. Fighting with humans wasn't a big problem for me. Their AI is rather limited, and with all the boosts that we can fight in NERO outposts makes them even weaker. Although I did like to mix stealth/murder hobo styles during my playthrough.

If you like to take your time in a sandbox, and venture through you can have great time. I will remember the moment, when I've tried enter during rainy night a one house, and right after opening the doors being greeted with a huge pack of freaks. Or the moment when near the abandoned wagons I was attacked by a screamer and fell off the bike. There was a tunnel nearby and in the moment the horde almost killed me. I had to leave the bike, and had to kill screamers with sniper rifle. After observing the retreat of the freaks to their hiding place, I could finally get back on the track.

If you would like to become a murder hobo on fully customizable bike, this is the game for you.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I've vaguely wanted to try this for a while.
Seems like most who've played it fall into two camps:
* Game is bland and mediocre
* Game seems bland and mediocre but if you spend some time with it you really learn to appreciate how good it is in many ways

So I guess I'll give it a shot. Just grabbed the PC version in the Steam Autumn Sale for $20. Thanks bros upthread for your impressions.

DemonKing

Arcane
Seems like most who've played it fall into two camps:
* Game is bland and mediocre
* Game seems bland and mediocre but if you spend some time with it you really learn to appreciate how good it is in many ways
I don't like most open world games but this was good enough for me to finish.

It's pretty fun riding your chopper around the wasteland with a tommy gun strapped to your back for keeping the zombies freakers back and a baseball bat with some nails sticking out at hand in case your ammo gets low.

Last edited:

BruceVC

Magister
Im 20 hours into this game and Im thoroughly enjoying it, its achieved my scratch nicely around playing a " zombie killing game "

I like the scavenging and resource mechanics and Im having fun avoiding and killing zombie hordes. I enjoy using the bike to travel to places and I have avoided fast travel because its a beautiful game world

The narrative is interesting and I am keen to see how my relationship with the camps change :cool:

Zombra

Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yeah, I've put in about 17 hours so far and while not brilliant it definitely qualifies as "good enough to continue playing". I'm using the "Survival" difficulty which disables fast travel and the UI, though you can turn the minimap on for a few seconds every minute. I wish there was a better solution for traveling around because you pretty much HAVE to use the map to navigate to missions, so I'm constantly spamming the 'show me the minimap one more time please' button.

But combat is fun, travel is fun, progression is fun, the factions all have glaring downsides, and critically I don't hate the protagonist, who is equal parts invincible male power fantasy and gibbering emotional wreck. He lies to his best friends, is easily manipulated, steals, plays God, and in a lot of his VA barks sounds like he's about to stick a gun in his mouth because he's having such a hard time taking it all, but he keeps going because he has shit to do.

I can't sit down and play this for hours at a time, but it's great for popping in for a bit, zooming around, burning down some freaker nests and maybe hunting down a rapist or two.

BruceVC

Magister
Yeah, I've put in about 17 hours so far and while not brilliant it definitely qualifies as "good enough to continue playing". I'm using the "Survival" difficulty which disables fast travel and the UI, though you can turn the minimap on for a few seconds every minute. I wish there was a better solution for traveling around because you pretty much HAVE to use the map to navigate to missions, so I'm constantly spamming the 'show me the minimap one more time please' button.

But combat is fun, travel is fun, progression is fun, the factions all have glaring downsides, and critically I don't hate the protagonist, who is equal parts invincible male power fantasy and gibbering emotional wreck. He lies to his best friends, is easily manipulated, steals, plays God, and in a lot of his VA barks sounds like he's about to stick a gun in his mouth because he's having such a hard time taking it all, but he keeps going because he has shit to do.

I can't sit down and play this for hours at a time, but it's great for popping in for a bit, zooming around, burning down some freaker nests and maybe hunting down a rapist or two.
Thats an objective summary, I get bored by the Sarah history and I tend to skip those parts of the game :cool:

Zombra

Patron
Thats an objective summary, I get bored by the Sarah history and I tend to skip those parts of the game :cool:
And that's cool too. This game has one innovative feature we didn't mention: skippable cutscenes, even during a first playthrough. It outright says: OPTIONAL DIALOGUE PRESS [SEL] TO SKIP if all you care about is shooting heads and popping wheelies. No judgement. I like the story but appreciate the devs respecting our time like that.

BruceVC

Magister

I was thinking about this post and how difficult it must be to play without a minimap. I had to travel to Lost Lake camp and it would have been almost impossible without a minimap? But it would nice if you could do it and I was thinking how. I remember in The Forest you learn about landmarks as points of navigation and I got use to it, I am not sure if End Days has accurate road signs to all the places you need to travel to because then NPC could give general directions and you can use landmarks and then road signs?

I wonder if that would work

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom