Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Days Gone - Sons of Anarchy Zombie Apocalypse - PS4

bat_boro

Arcane
Wanted to check the download size for the game on Steam forums, and came across this treasure of a thread. It's a gift that keeps on giving, lol
https://steamcommunity.com/app/1259420/discussions/0/3113647550043349029/

Days gone is much better than anything else on goy Station, I would know since I have the dubious pleasure of owning one. Certainly much much better than horizon, that's for sure. With mods on pc I expect it to be miles ahead of anything that would ever come out of Sonys creatively bankrupt joyless cinematic manufacture in the foreseeable future

cretin

Arcane
Douchebag!
With mods on pc I expect it to be miles ahead of anything that would ever come out of Sonys creatively bankrupt joyless cinematic manufacture in the foreseeable future

Is this thing even moddable?

I fully expect some MGSV style modding that mostly results in modelswap hacks or difficulty changes, but I don't think there will be anything substantial.

Codex Year of the Donut
zzHpMI1.png

cretin

Arcane
Douchebag!
Ok so my comments about random exploration generally being pointless still stand, but (at least on survival mode, I dont know about regular modes) the cool thing is the game doesn't tell you where the hordes are, so you have to go looking for their caves if you want to clear them out and get some of the non-merchant unlocks.

I also had a neat moment just recently:

I had stopped searching buildings unless I actively needed to restock on generic items because I figured that its always just generic items. However I passed a house that piqued my curiosity - there were no obvious points of entry, no accessible windows, and the doors were barricaded. I eventually got up onto the roof and found a tiny little window i could clamber through... for my curiosity I was rewarded with a bunch of cool shit like remote bombs and noise devices.

JDR13

Arcane
Ok so my comments about random exploration generally being pointless still stand, but (at least on survival mode, I dont know about regular modes) the cool thing is the game doesn't tell you where the hordes are, so you have to go looking for their caves if you want to clear them out and get some of the non-merchant unlocks.

For most of the game, yes, but you'll eventually reach a point when the hordes are marked.

polo

Magister
It was fun, but i kind of rushed the 2nd part cause it became too repetitive, specially side missions.
Also the clear the horde missions seemed like lazy design.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
It was fun, but i kind of rushed the 2nd part cause it became too repetitive, specially side missions.

I think the 2nd part is the weaker part. (Most) characters, locations and missions are not as strong as in the first part, neither are the events well motivated. It's a bit like a rushed ending to a season because the budget ran out.

And the final battle doesn't feel special. The Breaker at the airplane felt more like a boss battle than the ending.
The Sawmill is a great playground for a horde fight with lots of narrow passages, triggered obstacles and such - but you have to force yourself to use it, because you can easily cheese the battle.

polo

Magister

I think the 2nd part is the weaker part. (Most) characters, locations and missions are not as strong as in the first part, neither are the events well motivated. It's a bit like a rushed ending to a season because the budget ran out.

And the final battle doesn't feel special. The Breaker at the airplane felt more like a boss battle than the ending.
The Sawmill is a great playground for a horde fight with lots of narrow passages, triggered obstacles and such - but you have to force yourself to use it, because you can easily cheese the battle.
The thing with the sawmill is that i already used it as a playground in the first part of the game when i went to the nero checkpoint, so cleaning the horde there was kind of meh.

JDR13

Arcane
You guys kept playing after the credits, right? The ending before the credits isn't the full ending. You need to do a few more missions after that.

You'll eventually get contacted by O'brian again and he'll ask you to meet up with him. If you haven't seen that sequence yet, keep playing until you do. It's worth it.

JDR13

Arcane

I didn't have any issues with the plot or characters, but the game does sort of fall apart towards the end mechanically. Even on Hard difficulty, it becomes far too easy once you've used a lot of Nero injectors and unlocked most of the skills.

One mistake they made is having healing items heal you by a percentage rather than a set amount of hitpoints. So a Medkit heals 80% regardless if your max health is 100 or 300. Combined with how abundant they are, it makes healing items stupidly overpowered by the end of the game.

Codex Year of the Donut
You guys kept playing after the credits, right? The ending before the credits isn't the full ending. You need to do a few more missions after that.

You'll eventually get contacted by O'brian again and he'll ask you to meet up with him. If you haven't seen that sequence yet, keep playing until you do. It's worth it.
they won't lose much by skipping it, there won't be a sequel

vonAchdorf

Arcane

It's kinda teeing up Days Gone 2 - which doesn't look like it will happen anytime soon if at all.

JDR13

Arcane

It's kinda teeing up Days Gone 2 - which doesn't look like it will happen anytime soon if at all.

Yeah, unfortunately that's a longshot at best.

But you never know. We're finally getting a sequel to Dying Light after 6 years.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Been playing this on Hard. About 50 hours in. It does one of the best jobs I've seen at logically keeping difficulty challenging past the mid-game by introducing larger hordes (I've been swarmed multiple times and rather than find it annoying I find it strangely amusing to be chased down, engulfed and torn apart as the 28 Days-esque soundtrack plays) and exceptionally powerful and dangerous enemies, like the Screamers. I truly fear the Breakers - much faster then they should be for such large lumbering brutes - because they never seem easy to kill so I tend to avoid them if I can. The game always has that tension that you can be suddenly killed and tries to avoid face-roll mechanics.

Atchodas

Augur
Damn this game is a murder hobo simulator, i killed more Humans than Freakers for sure. One would think that Human life would have a bit of value in post apocalyptic setting but it doesnt :D

Deacon is like post apocalypse sanitarian just murdering everyone who does not sit in a camp giving him quests

Story is okay i guess but way too many quests are "go there and kill those guys because they bad" and not enough of quests involve dealing with zombies

Side content is kinda shallow, at the start of the game exploring a bit makes sense to progress faster but once you are like 20% into the game it just turns into ''gotta clear that because its on my checklist and i get some exp/trust with camps"

Random events are completely meaningless and just waste of time, stopped checking them out like 10 hours into the game, you get ambushed most of the time and gain nothing in return.

Now playing in second part of the story/map and i have to say Days Gone is kinda linear for a game that supposed to be open world

No survival mechanics whatsoever, no real scavenging just some basic looting to refill your consumables. Feels like Devs had bigger plans for the game and as usual ran out of money and cut most of non story content

Its implied that Ammo and Fuel are scarce but they are unlimited and the only thing that limits you is how much you can carry when leaving the camp before refilling at other camp.

Main character is decent, borderline insane and i like it. Looking forward to finishing the story to see how it ends and not looking back at this game ever again.

Last edited:

JDR13

Arcane
No survival mechanics whatsoever, no real scavenging just some basic looting to refill your consumables. Feels like Devs had bigger plans for the game and as usual ran out of money and cut most of non story content

Why would there be survival mechanics? It's not a survival game nor was it ever advertised as one.

Its implied that Ammo and Fuel are scarce but they are unlimited and the only thing that limits you is how much you can carry when leaving the camp before refilling at other camp.

You can't carry much ammo though. They limit you to a fairly realistic amount. As far as fuel is concerned, it would just be annoying if that was yet another thing you had to search for.

Atchodas

Augur

Why would there be survival mechanics? It's not a survival game nor was it ever advertised as one.

You can't carry much ammo though. They limit you to a fairly realistic amount. As far as fuel is concerned, it would just be annoying if that was yet another thing you had to search for.

You can carry at least 1k ammo later in the game what the fuck are you talking about? Even in early stages you can have like 200 bullets for assault rifle and then 50+ on pistol and some extra on special weapon which can be a machine gun with couple of hundred more. There is also bike upgrade that allow you to carry twice as much and you can even upgrade it further.

JDR13

Arcane

You can carry at least 1k ammo later in the game what the fuck are you talking about? Even in early stages you can have like 200 bullets for assault rifle and then 50+ on pistol and some extra on special weapon which can be a machine gun with couple of hundred more. There is also bike upgrade that allow you to carry twice as much and you can even upgrade it further.

The ammo is different for every gun, but you never carry 1k ammo unless there's some upgrade that I never got.

Besides, it's not like carrying 200 bullets for an assault rifle is some unrealistic amount. A soldier in RL could easily carry that as long as he's not some fat slob.

vonAchdorf

Arcane

I think they planned more survival elements. The rewards for hunting or collecting plants are otherwise pretty mediocre. Additionally in my opinion, the fuel mechanic doesn't really add to the game. I think they wanted it to be more scarce, but realized that it's not fun to run out of fuel constantly, when one of the most fun parts of the game is riding around in your bike. If they had removed the fuel mechanic, and just kept the damage system for the bike, like they do during missions, the game wouldn't have lacked much.

JDR13

Arcane

I think they planned more survival elements. The rewards for hunting or collecting plants are otherwise pretty mediocre. Additionally in my opinion, the fuel mechanic doesn't really add to the game. I think they wanted it to be more scarce, but realized that it's not fun to run out of fuel constantly, when one of the most fun parts of the game is riding around in your bike. If they had removed the fuel mechanic, and just kept the damage system for the bike, like they do during missions, the game wouldn't have lacked much.

I have to disagree. There were quite a few times that running low on fuel significantly added to the tension for me.

Atchodas

Augur
The ammo is different for every gun, but you never carry 1k ammo unless there's some upgrade that I never got.

Besides, it's not like carrying 200 bullets for an assault rifle is some unrealistic amount. A soldier in RL could easily carry that as long as he's not some fat slob.

I have to disagree. There were quite a few times that running low on fuel significantly added to the tension for me.

Dude did you miss like all the bike upgrades or something?

You can upgrade fuel tanks and you wont run out of fuel ever.

If you upgraded fuel tanks you should never run out of fuel considering that there are plenty of areas with forever lasting fuel cans that never run out.

You can upgrade saddle bags and you will be able to refill your ammo 3-4 times from your bike

There are magazine upgrades that increase how much ammo you can carry, also shooting Perk that does the same.

You cant have 1k ammo for 1 type of weapon but you can have 500 for SMG and 500 for Machine gun AND refill them at your bike twice.

Last edited:

JDR13

Arcane
Dude did you miss like all the bike upgrades or something?

You can upgrade fuel tanks and you wont run out of fuel ever.

If you upgraded fuel tanks you should never run out of fuel considering that there are plenty of areas with forever lasting fuel cans that never run out.

No, I had all the upgrades by the end of the game.

By the time you reach the point of being able to get the largest fuel tanks, you're closing in on the endgame.

You can upgrade saddle bags and you will be able to refill your ammo 3-4 times from your bike

There are magazine upgrades that increase how much ammo you can carry, also shooting Perk that does the same.

You cant have 1k ammo for 1 type of weapon but you can have 500 for SMG and 500 for Machine gun AND refill them at your bike twice.

Yes, you can get a maximun of 3 saddlebags by the end of the game. You'll need them for the larger hordes though.

Atchodas

Augur
Yeh i get it now.

You find this barebones console game hard and scarry :lol: and really liked it because bikes go brrr and freakers go arrrrgh but not everyone is a simpleton like you and might want to see more depth and more believable post apocalyptic setting

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Even if it does nothing else, Days Gone helps wean me off save scumming. I usually choose to run and fight another day/hour and don't (auto)reload unless I'm kill-swarmed. So the stamina mechanic/cocktails became important for that. The game has a lot of problems but it has that "just one more mission then I'll take a break/go to bed! reely, I swear!" quality in spades. I actually cheered out loud when me & boozer blew up the dam and mass-murdered all the Rippers. However, I can't stand that wife storyline and skip the cut scenes. Plus, she looks exactly like actress Lily Rabe who is not my idea of hot. And there's nothing worse in a game, movie or TV series than a he-man character that moons after his wife, and when she gets lost and found, you just know she's going to be a ball-busting nag that keeps him from having fun out with his bros and doing man-things. Remember Rick's wife in The Walking Dead when they finally killed her off unambiguously? All the bros let out a collective cheer. Ratings rose.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom