Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Days Gone - Sons of Anarchy Zombie Apocalypse - PS4

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
I wonder if it would be good like Dying Light.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
May 18th with its $50 glory.

(Funny they posted the trailer on its official PS channel instead of using obscure studio channel like they did with Horizon Zero Dawn.)

lightbane

Arcane
Soo much for exclusivity, lol. How long until Blood Souls comes to PC? It's inevitable at this point.

Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Judging from the trailer it seems that only the white people survived this particular "pandemy." Quite ballsy for a 2021 relase, I got to give them that. The game looks kinda meh though... and 50 bucks price tag? LOL, might give this a look for five.

Zlaja

Arcane
"That Sony exclusive seems very generic and boring. Oh wait, it's coming to steam? Well, I guess I could check it out. Could be 'good for what it is' with better performance and mouse + keyboard controlls."

- Every retard ever

Duraframe300

Arcane
"That Sony exclusive seems very generic and boring. Oh wait, it's coming to steam? Well, I guess I could check it out. Could be 'good for what it is' with better performance and mouse + keyboard controlls."

- Every retard ever

Days Gone is genuinly underrated tbh.

Had a lot of fun with it. Certainly better than a lot of higher rated PS exclusives.

bat_boro

Arcane

- Every retard ever

Days Gone is genuinly underrated tbh.

Had a lot of fun with it. Certainly better than a lot of higher rated PS exclusives.

I was meaning to write a review of sorts in this thread.
In short, it's my favourite PS "exclusive", it shits on all of the other PS exclusives. It's full of heart and definitely underrated.
It also has this guy in the leading role - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sam_Witwer - of Darth Maul fame (from Clone Wars) - doing a stellar job in a pretty complex role
It also has a pretty cool bromance and an ultimately pretty interesting world and story - considering the cliffhanger at the end

I would definitely recommend this, hell, even for the $50 price tag. I would D1P this shit on Steam if I had a PC (which I currently don't unfortunately)

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
I spent $20 on this and now it's free on PS Plus. It was fine. Like most AAA consoom product titles, you play it once, have a generally decent time, then forget about it.

It does have one of my favorite side quests ever:

Quest: Go check on Boozer.

Deacon: "Hey Boozeman, how you doing?"
Boozer: "'the fuck you think I'm doing?"

Quest complete!

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
This was a good game. It will probably be alright on PC.

The best part about this game is the Motion Sensor Function Aiming, which allows you to use the motion controls of the DualShock to actually move the aiming reticule. It is a fucking amazing invention and should be in every single FPS on the console. It is so much more intuitive and effective than pure thumb stick aiming.

Edit: To be clear, this game is not an RPG in any sense. There are only three "stats" you improve through the game, as I recall, though there are perks and whatnot that you unlock. But, none of them materially change your playstyle.

ADL

Prophet
Looks like a solid port

The best part about this game is the Motion Sensor Function Aiming, which allows you to use the motion controls of the DualShock to actually move the aiming reticule. It is a fucking amazing invention and should be in every single FPS on the console. It is so much more intuitive and effective than pure thumb stick aiming.
I've been playing like this via Steam Controller for the last five years. Gyro sensor aiming is great, I still prefer M+KB but it's definitely a massive step up from a standard controller and should be an option in every game going forward, even on consoles.

Last edited:

ADL

Prophet
First impressions: Incredible PC port, Best UE4-based game I've played on PC by far from an optimization and graphical standpoint. Read some reviews and they said they were having issues on their higher spec systems but it works on my machine™. Gameplay-wise the opening was a little too scripted for my liking and the scavenge animations are getting on my nerves but that's on me for being dumb enough to play a Sony exclusive and bitch about that sort of thing. Supposedly it opens up a lot soon.

Also props to Sony for putting out a game with zombie kids but having to adjust my aim and blow off their tiny heads is a pain in the ass in the moment. Their pouncing move sucks too.

JDR13

Arcane
I'm a few hours in, and yeah, it's a really good port.

The game itself though is just "ok" so far.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
I've been playing the PS version and I still enjoy the game. I especially like the hordes, which I think are impressive (either watching them from afar or when engaging them). But I don't have any experience with other zombie games, so I don't know if that's just standard fare in the genre.

I think the game has a good mix between free roam and story - even though the story clearly takes priority. Sometimes it's annoying to do missions which only proceed when you inspect a tiny trigger. Burning nests or clearing camps is of course repetitive, but especially in the story camps, they add a new element (traps, enemy types, ...) to the mix to keep them interesting.

The weather effects are pretty nice - on the PC probably even more so.

The survival mechanics are a bit undercooked, sometimes it feels that they wanted to do more, but decided to scale it down. Hunting animals or collecting plants for merely a few credits feels like it was tacked on. I can't say that I'm too sad about that - scores of enemies and a massive shortage of fuel an ammo would probably not be a great mix.

bat_boro

Arcane
Damn this looks amazingly good in ultrawide and running on normal hardware, not the ps4 10 year laptop toaster

I'm really curious for the mods as well, I think there are a lot of possibilities for something great here now that this has come to PC. As I said in this thread before, this is the one and only PS exclusive that made owning this useless junk worth it.

*opinion subject to change once I play Bloodbourne I suppose

Last edited:
Codex Year of the Donut
Red Dead Redemption 2(after patches) is another example that looks and runs great. Those games were heavily optimized to runs on potatoes, proper ports blow typical unoptimized PC games out of the water.

lightbane

Arcane
It's a shame this game needs so much damn space for installing, even if you filter out bloated shit with Fitgirl's help. It doesn't run on W7 I suppose, right? Sometimes those for W10 still do for 7, but no idea here.

Codex Year of the Donut
It's a shame this game needs so much damn space for installing, even if you filter out bloated shit with Fitgirl's help. It doesn't run on W7 I suppose, right? Sometimes those for W10 still do for 7, but no idea here.
Some W10 exclusives probably work on W7 if you use DXVK. I believe DX11.1 and feature level 11_1(and those released after) are only available for W8/W10, but DXVK supports them via Vulkan. If you have the latest graphics drivers you should therefore be able to run games that require those things by using DXVK. Just drop the DLLs in the same folder as the main game executable.

JDR13

Arcane
I've been playing the PS version and I still enjoy the game. I especially like the hordes, which I think are impressive (either watching them from afar or when engaging them). But I don't have any experience with other zombie games, so I don't know if that's just standard fare in the genre.

Check out Dying Light if you haven't already. That's still the best game in the genre imo. I think Days Gone is close though.

Doktor Best

Arcane
So i've read that you spawn at your motorcycle after death even if you save manually? Is that true?

I hated that "feature" in Asscreed Egyptboy so is there any way to get it to just use a normal saving system that like... saves your game when you press save game?

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
99.999% of games don't have a normal save feature anymore. What scares me is that people seems to not care, as if they forgot completely that games used to have this feature in the past.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom