Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Deadly Premonition is shit (AKA fuck Japanese developers)

Cromwell

Arcane
Leave it to them to at first demand a fix for a higher resolution instead of a fix for the controls with which this game should be played because its a fucking console port with console controls.

Toffeli

Atomkrieg, ja bitte
Patron
Wasteland 2
This game rocks and OP is a faggot.

Seriously, this is Alan Wake meets Twin Peaks and Japanese weirdo-brilliance, and what you got is an unbelievably delicious biscuit little classic that everyone with taste should play.
After playing for a while I'd say this is the japanese ps2 version of Alan Wake that I thought Alan Wake would be before Remedy turned it into a railroaded shooter.

Drakron

Arcane
Well I am looking at a LP, its interesting to be sure but then again QTE kinda turns me off a lot.

Maybe after fixes.

Cromwell

Arcane
Still no gamepad support? I looked but couldnt find anything. The second game in years I bought on the first day, and I get this.

Malpercio

Arcane
The intro is pretty fucking bad, like "give me back my 30 minutes" bad. But then the game opens up and... well, the gameplay still garbage (seriously, I appreciate the big town to explore on car, but couldn't they make it fun or something?), but holy shit!!!! This is what Anal Wake should have been, instead of that turd on corridors. It also similar to Pathologic I guess, though Pathologic manages to be even fucking worse and just plain unfunny, somehow.

Anyway, my heart goes to the developers for at least trying to accomplish what even Remedy with their over 99999 budget and 50 years of development couldn't. You can see how it was developed with heart and not just like another AAA product trying to copy Hollywood.

Also yeah, TP "references" all over the place, there is even a log lady, top-lol. It may be a good thing, since Twin Peaks imaginary is awesome, but also a bad thing, because Twin Peaks is shit. I hope the developer copied got inspirited by Siren and Sillent Hill also when it came to developing the story.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Damn, Durante is doing more of his magic :

I'm gonna wait at least until he reaches v.10 before playing this, the incline is majestic.

Still no gamepad support? I looked but couldnt find anything. The second game in years I bought on the first day, and I get this.
There's no official gamepad support, but you can go around that with keymapping software (Xpadder, Pinnacle Game Profiler). If you're using Durante's DPFix, you can even override the button prompt textures so they match the Xbox 360 controller.

Keyboard/mouse isn't as bad here as it was in Dark Souls, though. It's definitely playable.

As for the game itself, it's strangely endearing - as others have said, Twin Peaks through a very weird Japanese filter. Japanese game makers have always taken influences and reprocessed them in very weird ways. It's a lot more "gamey" and less serious than what people might expect, and it could be jarring to some - kind of like what happened in the very first Dead Rising, people didn't really know how to react to the goofy gamey mechanics in a Zombie apocalypse game - but that's what made it so fun. I can definitely see the Siren/Silent Hill influence as well, though I would say both of those series took themselves more seriously than this.

It's quirky, rough, and pretty fringe, but I'd say it's definitely worth playing. I'm having a poblem with huge load times, however - completely random too, sometimes levels load in a second, sometimes it takes 30 seconds to open the pause menu - so that's putting me off for now.

Durante's fix is awesome, as everyone says. Guy should be hired by these Wapanese B-tier studios when they try to port their shit over.

Gurkog

Erudite
Project: Eternity
really should make a sticky thread devoted to Durante :salute: and all of the games he fixes. It might make people more willing to try shit jap console ports.

Durante is awesome, and even the crappy port makers acknowledge this fact. (thumbs up for the avatar choice, potential future codex inmate ?)

Thread title said:
PSA: Deadly Premonition PC port locked to 720p, no gfx options (nm, Durante fixed it)

:lol:

edity: just realized that everything I know about this game comes from that inane "See? F-K in the coffee. It's so obvious!" video.

Last edited:

Durante

Learned
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
This game rocks and OP is a faggot.

Seriously, this is Alan Wake meets Twin Peaks and Japanese weirdo-brilliance, and what you got is an unbelievably delicious biscuit little classic that everyone with taste should play.
I have to agree with this. I mean, it's just as broken (I mean mechanically now, not technically!) as the reviews claim, but it's also so interesting.

It's almost the complete antithesis of modern (console) game development. The "set pieces" -- as they are -- as well as the cut-scenes are hilariously amateurish, and the action sequences are serviceable at best. Even just running around feels strangely janky, never mind driving, which honestly made me fear falling through the ground at any moment.

But it's a game that for some reason simulates an entire village with day/night cycles, even though it could just as well funnel you through the story. It has odd little touches like your clothes getting dirty with time, and having to pay to clean them. Or your beard growing, and being able to shave at any sink -- even in the haunted/unreal setting of a crime scene, while chasing a murderer and fighting zombies. It's very weird. You have to buy fuel for your car.When was the last time you had to worry about your car running out of fuel in a game?

And those are just the mechanics, but the mix of brilliance and insanity continues with the main character's monologues about 80s B-movies, and the other characters' various quirks. Of course, there's also the fact that there is a driving/racing minigame complete with its own line of car-customization sidequests, a set of sidequests which involve doing Sokoban in a warehouse, darts with a bizarre set of house rules, and of course fishing. There is always fishing.

Repressed Homosexual
I'll take a million games like Deadly Premonitions that are actually about imagination and ideas over a more polished run of the mill AAA shooter or a "clever" "quirky" indie game with Flash art style.

I bought this on PS3 just before I saw an announcement for the PC version, too bad.

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
I love this fucking game. I was hesitant to pay for a copy of a "bad" game, so I pirated it, but I'm gonna buy it later for reals.

So much fun to play with your friends and just joke around. Yes, despite being a single player game.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Not sure how you play this with friends on PC. Unless you stream it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom